Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
I have a new friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
That is an Ackie monitor. He is a year and a half old.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s an Ackie? I figured he was a monitor but I would not have pegged him for an Ackie. He’s gorgeous.

The lighting and camera have washed out his colors a bit.

Here he is taking a nap in a hidey hole he dug out:

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Tahirovic posted:

As a lurker in this thread, who is not in a position to get a herp right now (uromastyx ornata is on my wishlist), please post pics! Everyone post pics!

Here are a few of my boy Montgomery. He is an Ackie monitor.

He is a bit chunky and is currently on a diet.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!

Ok Comboomer posted:

How do you manage heat/humidity? His enclosure looks nice and big but don’t the plants melt or get soft (I’m assuming they’re plastic) if it’s kept 110+?

His cage is quite large. 200x90x90cm (about 7' x 3' x 3') with a foot of soil for him to dig in. All the plants are live and it is bioactive.

He has a retes stack as a basking spot with 2 HID bulbs and a heat emitter. The top surface is at 63 degrees celsius (145F).
On the other end there is another heat emitter on a dimmer that heats the wood to a max of 40 degrees (104F) at the tallest point. The coolest spot in the enclosure is at 24C (75F) next to the water bowl.

There are two 3" vents in the top. One on each side. The heat from his basking spot makes the air circulate. But it keeps humidity really well. Too well in fact. He is having some shedding issues from too high humidity. I have managed to drop it down to around 50% which seems to be helping. His burrow stays nice and humid deep in the soil.

Edit:

Viperidae fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 12, 2020

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
I built that myself. Swedish law says that a lizard of 51-70cm should have at least 1.8sqm of floor space.

With all the soil in there it weighs close to 600kg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
I have had my Colombian Rainbow Boa Percy for at least 25 years now. He has only bitten me once and that was because I was messing with him when he was about to shed. Felt like somebody flicked me on the hand.

When he was a little baby I spent a ton of time with him though. He would sit in my shirt pocket for hours.