Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...
We have a male Ball Python, around a year old - he's 850g. When we got him, we were given a starter 2ft wooden (MDF) viv with glass door. We set this up (on the breeders recommendation) with a heat mat and thermostat (Habistat Mat Stat). There is a perspex sheet over the mat, over which we line with absorbant paper. I have the thermostat probe attached to the top of the perspex and set at about 32 degrees Celsius. All good, seemed happy enough and over the past few weeks he's really spent most of his time in his hide on his mat. He eats very well; a small rat every 10 / 14 days and no trouble at all.

Two days ago he peed in his hide enough for the urine seemingly to short circuit his heat mat, burn out the plastic and scorch the underside of the viv. The smell was terrible, but snakey was seemingly fine and seemed his usual self when I handled him and checked him over.

I tidied everything up, replaced with a spare mat, taped it down, tried to make sure in the event of fluid ingress the fluid wouldn't puddle and popped him back. That night, Sir Piss managed to repeat the feat - literally a burned out a mat again. I've no reason to think the stat has an issue.

I toddled off to a local reptile guy and asked for help; messaging the breeder (I'm friendly with him) and asked for help. Here's the issue: Reptile Guy recommended a top mounted Radiant Heat Panel and Thermostat. He said that for a wooden vivarium, a heat mat was not ideal (giving my issue as an example), but this was a better shout (or a ceramic heat bulb in a cage - I didn't go for that). This sounded fine by me, as the internet seemed to suggest with a bit of rudimentary searching that RHPs are absolutely fine. Got home, set it up, lovely. I'll let it all acclimatise (I have a spare, identical 2ft viv)

The breeder's messaged me, however, and says I've made a mistake. Ball Pythons need belly heat and the RHPs are no good at all. Of course, now I've searched the internet even more and found great conflict on the matter I'm pretty stressed out. There is no way I'm putting another mat in with the potential of a fire risk if Whizzo does his business on it again. What's everyone else's opinions?

I'm also concerned about how I've got the RHP fitted (it's a Reptirad 40). I've pointed the stat probe (Digital Stat Microclimate Evo Lite) just over his enclosure and set it to 32 degrees and the viv is warming up, but the panel is very hot to touch. The snake is quite exploratory at night and I'd not want him to burn his snoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Thanks (both) for replying. I'm an utter beginner and the heat mat fizzle has really freaked me out, so I hope you forgive my barrage of questions. It's really thrown me that breeder and shop-guy (who breeder recommended) don't align on this.

The new panel is fixed overhead on the enclosure (ceiling) oriented down about 30cm from the top of the hide (which is simple plastic job). I've put the sensor just over the hide. The panel is only 40w; so on setting it to 32c it's drawing 100% - not quite there yet (29c) but the heat graph shows a steady increase as its been warming up. The other side of the viv seems to be about 3-4 degrees cooler.. The panel kicks out an unholy heat (to touch) and the top of the enclosure is very warm. Should the hide really be on the other side; though? The cool side? If I put another one in there would be very little other room in there.

He's around 95cm, I think, but he's easier to weight than measure. I expected I'd needed a bigger vivarium soon, so I'm expecting that too. I just want to do right by the snake, really. :smith:

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Yeah, I am in the UK. This is the panel I have: https://www.reticsandreptiles.co.uk/product-page/reptirad-40w-advanced-reptile-radiator

When you say "guard" what kind are you using and you recommend a link? The box suggests it doesn't need a guard but I can see why you might want one (ouch).

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007

learnincurve posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B083M463Z2 is the guard, out of stock on Amazon but it looks like online pet shops have it. It does fit in a 15cm wide vivarium.

[...]

Bricks and mortar shops have all of this stuff in but I wouldn’t give that guy any more money.

Thanks, I've ordered the guard online in the faith that the panel I've bought is the right thing. It's a bit bigger than the rad, but the dimensions sound ok. Do you reckon the shop guy has given me a bad steer with this kit?

I've put my snake in; with no heating in his old viv I was getting worried about him, but tried to keep him under observation over night. Before this, he spent most of his time balled up on his heat mat - only coming out briefly at night or when it was time to eat. He's currently kind of stretched out (not balled) in the middle of the vivarium. I know he'll need to adjust but I hate feeling like I've rocked his world in a bad way.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
How do you keep on top of your humidity? Since I put that panel in it's pretty dry in there and I'm spraying quite frequently. I've some moss on order (with a new , bigger viv) but what with deliveries that won't get here til next week as it's stuck in a depot. I've some concerns about that cause he will be due a shed at some point soon.

He seems to be okay in there since the panel went in, ok with me handling him and no grumpiness. He livens up when handled and has his normal curiosity. Doesn't come out much though on his own, even at night.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Thanks for all your advice. He's comfortably been installed in his new bigger viv and has started coming out for a nosey. He's eating well too. The spag moss is pretty nice stuff and and has really made keeping the humidity just right much easier. Happy days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
That is a beautiful tank and a beautiful froggy!