Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
When the gently caress did you turn into such a huge raging oval office, Fluffy Bunnies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Hey. HEY! My Herps totally love me! I'm not just a gaint walking heating pad who delivers food to them without them having to actually spend energy finding! They totally love me?!?!?! Oh, god I'm going to die alone. :(

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
My Tokay has gotten really good at the whole, "hey this guy is dangling food in front of my face hole. I guess I should eat it now." I'd been feeding him is a separate tub since his enclosure is huge and full of soil the roaches could burrow into so he'd probably never actually get them. But now I can just shove food in his face and he noms them down . Guess it helps that he is chill as hell and you really have to piss him off to get him to bark let alone bite.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Possibly odd question, but I'm in the process of growing a couple different strains of chilis and have been wondering if in a few months when they are large enough to transplant if it would be feasible to plant one in my Tokay's giant viv since the Purple Peruvians I am growing are pretty and would look nice added to the plants already in there. I can't find anything on the toxic for him.

I know they're a nightshade and that would be a big no no if it ate plants at all, but I'm not sure if the leaves/stems would give off anything that might be toxic and I haven't found anything so far in my googlefu either way on the subject.

Anybody ever try/have any info on the subject?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
My Tokay has finally grown up into a fine young man. I've gotten woken up by him trying to find himself a sexy girl gecko more than once in the past few weeks. It makes a father proud.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I used to care about my snakes possibly eating a piece of substrate, but then they digests skin, flesh and bones like nothing. I'm pretty sure the can handle a little bit of wood or dirt.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
As long as it isn't endangered or illegal and it is well taken care of,, I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Totally thought that was just paracord and got very confused as to why you would name an inanimate object

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I kinda want a blue tongued skink. I would just have to figure out where the hell to put the tank. My room already has a wall of tanks and the Tokay's tank is taking up the living room. Also, my Tokay is broken. He isn't mean anymore. He opens his mouth angrily at me like once every couple months and hasn't bit me in like a year and a half. Totally chill dude.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

Get a tame bluey when they bite it's like having your fingers slammed in a car door. Do not cheap out and get an import like me or you have months of careful handling acclimation ahead of you with something that can probably dislocate your finger if it wants to. That said, he's really loving cool and I think he's smart? I dunno I just have snakes but he looks me in the eye and tilts his head when I talk at him so that's pretty cool.

Aren't they up there with Monitors and Tegus in the intelligence category? It'll probably be a ways away since I wanna do some more research, figure out where to put they tank and def look into getting a CB. I'm kinda surprised at price, but then that shouldn't be too surprising since they have 1 clutch at year with like 15 babies. Maybe I'll see what they have at the next repticon in St. Charles, IL whenever they announce it.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

Get a tame bluey when they bite it's like having your fingers slammed in a car door. Do not cheap out and get an import like me or you have months of careful handling acclimation ahead of you with something that can probably dislocate your finger if it wants to. That said, he's really loving cool and I think he's smart? I dunno I just have snakes but he looks me in the eye and tilts his head when I talk at him so that's pretty cool.

Forgot to ask. What size tank is your Bluey in? I'm trying to decide if it would be cheaper/easier to wait for petco sale and get a 40L or 55G or just build my own frag tank.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I have never seen him turn this shade of green before. It was an amazing emerald green.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
New post. So I think I'm moving forward with the Skink and I'm in the process of planning out to build a tank out of melamine with inside dimensions of 4x2x2. I'm just slightly stumped on how to address the lighting. Any ideas? I'm leaning to just installed some a couple ceramic bulbs or a mercury vapor socket to the ceiling and an LED strip.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 19, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I was PetCo just kinda looking around and found an Armadillo Lizard. I had never actually seen one before and was curious. It was apparently born in the store and was only $15. Long story short, I have an Armadillo Lizard. Anybody have any good caresheets. Obviously UVB and bugs, but mostly interested in substrate and adult tank size. Since it is a wee one it is going into my spare 10gal after I finish sterilizing it. I'm assuming it is a girdled but photo for other more knowledgeable included.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
So I'm gonna move forward and get a skink in the next couple months. Anybody know of a good place to order a Cage for fairly cheap? Best I've seen so far is from PVC Cages. I can get 4x2x1 for $225.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I ended up getting the one from PVC. Animal Plastics was slightly cheaper, but I didn't like the design as much plus I'd be waiting ???? to receive it since it takes them a while to create each tank.

Anyway, I'm talking Donna from Captive Bred Excellence for a babby Northern BTS. Gonna have them hold it until my tank comes in or maybe I'll set up a temp sterlite tub to house the little tubbo in until I get the permanent digs.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Argh, I'm having so much trouble waiting for my skink! I'm so excited to get the little guy, but I've still got at least a week or two before my PVC cage shows up and then another few days before I'll get him/her shipped to me. So hard to wait.

Thank you for listening to my rant. Here are photos the breeder sent me.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 18, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I got my skink yesterday. It is the angriest little thing ever. It is so cute and awesome.

A couple times it has sized up my finger, slooooowly put the side of my finger into its mouth and bit down. Then it calmed down a bit and used my armpit as a warm place to take a nap. :3:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Hazo posted:

Done. Cool survey. Anybody want to tell me what the last snake was? I just put "Colubrid, nonvenomous." v:v:v

I went with Bullsnake. No idea if I was right beyond it being what you said.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Anybody else going to Tinley Park next month? I live about an hour away, but I've never gone before. Been to repticon, but that barely counts compared to one of the NARBC shows. Trying to decide how much cash to bring. Don't plan on buying anything, but you never know what might catch you eye. Maybe a gorgeous Beardie, Madagascar Day Gecko or Hognose or something.

Speaking of feeding dog food. Silver what are you mostly feeding your BTS? Breeders seem divided between large mix of omnivorous stuff vs the ones who seem to exclusively feed dry cat food.

Personally I'm just mixxing it up. If what I made for dinner, I'd be willing to feed dog, I'll share with Skink. Otherwise i might just feed some canned cat food or dubia or something.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 1, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

I will be going to Tinley. Not vending this year. I'm bringing like 1k in case there are some good Candoia. We should meet up. :)

I feed grain free canned dog food with some occasional fresh veggies (just whatever is left over from the CSA share that he can eat), bugs, and supplemental calcium. Not sure of the difference between dog and cat food but everyone I've talked to does canned dog, so that's what I do. :) Mine seems to like the kind with chunks of meat and veg over the patte.

We should totally meet up for a couple minutes at least!

Biggest difference between the two, is cat foods tend to have more protein since they're carnivores instead of semi-omnivorous like dogs. I noticed it was mostly the Aussie breeders that like to feed cat kibble while US does a mix of dog food, veggies and fruits. I kinda like how simple it is to feed BTS since they'll easy pretty much anything you shove in their faces, especially Northern's like mine. Like yesterday Buttercup got some chicken breast and some dog kibble. Day before that it was a mix of veggies, dog food and some CGD. Today was just some canned cat food that I had on hand.

Speaking of GCD, I ran out of Repashy 3.0 and decided to try out Pangea's new foods. Holy poo poo are the geckos loving the Watermelon and Mango mix. Their dishes are empty pretty much every day. Whereas with 3.0 they might nibble a little bit and then ignore it. In the rare case they don't finish their cup of food, it goes to the Skink who also loves it.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I could see feeding eggs as a way to save cash since even with the increase in egg prices 3 dozen eggs, will be like ~12 a week, but if that is all you can afford to feed your giant rear end monitor, you shouldn't have one.

Monitors are awesome and I would love to have one, but I am smart enough to know that I don't have to space to take care of one nor the desire to spend all that money on food for one creature and definitely don't want to clean up those turds.

It is the same reason that even though I really really really really want a Tegu, I will probably never get one. Maybe I will one day, but just like a monitor keeping them in a cage all their lives in pretty cruel. Once it gets decently large, it would still have an enclosure as a warm safe place to nap, but would basically be free roaming with the dog.

When I was at repticon last year, dude had his Tegu there for people to pet and look at while he was selling other things. Told me a story. He bought a burrito and set it on the end table and got up take a leak. Came back to find the Tegu running off with the burrito.

The other big reason I don't have one is I prefer not to have an animal that can ruin my day if it is in a bad mood and decides to bite me. Yeah when my BTS grows up, it has the ability to possibly break a finger, but that is a far cry from a Monitor or Tegu that can take off that finger or possibly a whole hand.

Speaking of BTS bites, the breeder I got Buttercup from says that she gets 1 or 2 babies a year that come out of mama and are immediately huffy bitey jerks. The one I fell in love with is one of those jerks. I've been bitten so many times and it is hilarious to me. You can kinda just see its mind at work when it stares down my hand then slowly inches its mouth towards my fingers to see if I'll move away before chomping down. It'll grown out of it eventually so I'm not worried or anything.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 2, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

HondaCivet posted:

Really? I've heard babies tend to be huffy and bitey in general. Mine is also that way, very defensive. She is getting a lot better though, probably partially through growing and maybe hopefully partially from me trying to earn her trust and get her used to me and my giant evil hands. She's reactive but she seems to calm down faster and faster over time.

Yeah she says most of hers turn out to be really tame even as babes.

http://www.captivebred.com
In case anybody wanted to see who I got it from.

I ordered some stuff from Amazon and since it is a shipping add-on item, I bought some of Zoomeds snails in a can. Holy poo poo did he start devouring those things like crazy. The dog wanted to try one too. She spit it out and then tried to roll on it to get that snail stank all up in her fur.

I haven't said much about my cage from pvccages. I got it a while back and set it, but haven't made the move yet cuz I found out quickly the 2 included air vents were not enough and the glass quickly condensed over once the heating and lights were turned on. So waiting for my vents and 3inch cutter to come in so I can add in more airflow and allow the bugger to move into his perm home. Obviously half blocked off since I'm sure a barely 2 month old Skink would go crazy with 4 feet of room to run around in.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 3, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I've always been told to keep it small for baby reptiles to keep them from stressing out too much about all the open space. That or lots of hides. So I suppose I could just cut some pvc to make some hides that he can fit in for now until his fatass gets to large to fit in them anymore.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
In that case, I'll move him in Monday after I get my new vents in. Speaking of vents.

Do I leave them white as an accent, go pure black, do black with the hammered copper finish to match the rest? I'm leaning towards pure black.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Donna has been awesome. I can email or call her pretty much anytime I'd need to and she'd happily answer any question I might possibly have.

I'm amazed at his ability to poop so far. After being pooped on a couple times, I've changed it up so that poo poo stops so to speak. Now when it is play time, I wake up him up, warm him up a bit and then toss his rear end back down into his temp home until that turd squeaks out. Then it is time for him to go exploring.

This is the first Herp I have that the dog is kinda actually interested in. She is confused by this tiny little thing that totally tried to bite her nose.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Now that the cage is set up and Buttercup has been moved in, I figure I might show it off a little.

I ordered a 4'x2'x1' pvc cage from pvccages instead of making one from melamine like my original plan. I paid more obviously, but it is probably a quarter of the weight, stronger, obviously no chance of rotting and most importantly built correctly.

I thought about keeping it plain black as it is, but decided to hit it with the copper hammered paints so it would match the paint job on my Gargoyle geckos tank.

Not nearly as goldish as it looks. Think my flash went off and I'm too lazy to fix it in PS.

Since the jury on UVB for Skinks is basically a big who the gently caress knows, I skipped the use of a MVB or Heat light of some kind with a fluorescent UVB bulb and went with a 40W Radiant Heat Panel and a strip of waterproof LEDS.
Course I hosed this up, by putting in the LED strip incorrectly the first time. Instead of around the top, I managed to do top, side, then bottom. The only glue I could get to stick to a combo of PVC,silicone and whatever the plastic the LED protection was, was super glue, which was a big bitch to clean up my mistake.

But once I fixed it, I think it was pretty sweet.

The next problem might be visible in that photo. By default the tank's ventilation was two 2 1/4" vents on the back wall. This was not nearly enough and once everything was added and turned on, the tank immediately misted over from the moisture having nowhere to go.
So off to Amazon I went to get bigger vents, which sadly only came in white, which I thought would look terrible. So they got painted black. Eventually my 3 inch cutter came in from Amazon too. I'm pretty sure dude at warehouse messed up as I got a 3 pack of the cutters, instead of 1. Gave the extra away to family. Never know when you might need one.

Tank when from the two 2 1/4" vents to seven 3" vents and the air flow problem has been solved.

So a good 3 weeks after I actually received my tank and set it up, Buttercup got to move in. I think s/he is liking it so far. I have noticed lots of exploration and burrowing and curiously enough staring at me through the glass. Obviously wanting to come out and explore, yet still kinda shirking away from me when I try to grab em.

(I need to clean the glass better)

I've had Buttercup for right around 3 weeks now and it already seems like he has grown a ton. Couple more weeks and I believe it'll put him at 3 months old. Loves to chow down on food. Loves exploring and napping in my warm crevices. The instances of biting and huffing are going down. All in all Skinks are awesome.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 11, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Not coconut, but my Ball, Professor Snake, loves her log hide and tree. I had it set on the cool side originally and she refused to rest anywhere else. Swapped it to the warm and now she stays on that side mostly unless she goes snorkeling in his water dish. Watching a snake blow bubbles is the cutest thing ever.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Favorite Foods of my BTS: Anything it can fit in its fat mouth and sometimes my fingers instead of the blueberry or strawberry sitting in my palm.

Edit: I need to get a bigger tub/figure out how they're escaping because I am tired of being woken up by adult male Dubias on a pussy hunt. I think I fixed the escape route already and these are just ones still in hiding, but I'm going to move to a bigger tub anyway.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 16, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I can't help you there, my Leopard is pretty lazy and mostly naps in one of her hides day and night. Then again she is a rescue so I have no idea how old she is and as much as she has improved she isn't exactly the healthiest what with having basically no toes.

Also holy poo poo Skinks grow super fast.

Little over a month ago.

Today

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
If there was a reptile rescue around here, that I knew about I'd totally volunteer and adopt from there. Best I know is occasionally a Ball python might show up on pet finder once a year, so I volunteer with cats instead.

I've told the tale of my Leopard Gecko sorta, but she is pretty much a rescue. I bought this giant 2ft cube of a tank that I was going to use to house my Tokay and eventual mate when I get around to it. $40 came with stand. Awesome. Also came with leopard gecko.

The story was they had 3 at one point together in there and apparently at some point once they reached adulthood 2 started fighting and one killed the other. Probably males and all. Then the other one died. Leaving the lone female survivor. The tank was disgusting. Had like 20lbs of nasty smelling sand full of poo poo and dead crickets and a poor cold gecko who couldn't see since she had like 3-4 layers of stuck shed on her eyes.

It sucked getting that into the car cuz I didn't bring help since I figured the dude would help me load it. Turns out he was in a wheel chair and I have a couple slipped discs. So that was a bitch to load into the car. Eventually got it home. Wouldn't take it into the house until I bleached the gently caress out of it.

Princess as she kinda just picked up as a name over time was in pretty rough shape. Missing all her toes, stuck shed everywhere. Her adult weight when I got her was like 35g. Surprisingly MBD isn't nearly as bad as you would expect. She is obviously a little wonky, but no deformed limbs or back kinks or anything.

Lots of soaking, food and tlc and she has bounced back pretty well. Took 2 or 3 sheds, but I finally got all the skin off her eyes which were in great shape. No infection, no cloudiness. Her vision isn't the greatest, but it is obvious that she can see again. Gets around really well for someone with no toes and I think the last time I weighed her, she was at nice healthy 65g. She occasionally has trouble with getting shed stuck on her mostly nonexistant toes, so I always take a look at her a after a shed to double check how she did, but I don't think I've actually had to help in over a year.

A bitch to get any calcium/vit powder in her, though. She, along with myself, hates the smell of Rep-Cal and if I put a bit too much on the roach she will completely refuse to eat it.

No toes :(

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

PezMaster posted:

I know he doesn't need to eat crickets because he's on Pangea, but it would be a nice treat every now and again for the sake of variety - any advice?

Some CGD Geckos are just dumb and never figure out how those strange bug things work. My Crested quickly figured out what roaches were and how delicious they are. Gargoyle has never figured them out. Doesn't matter what kind of bug I try. .Doesn't matter how much I smoosh it in his face. Has never clicked that it is food to be eaten.

Did anybody else switch from Repashy to Pangea as well? I was running out of 3.0,so I got Pangea's Watermelon Mango. Holy poo poo do they seem to enjoy it so much more than 3.0. 3.0 they'd sorta begrudgingly eat a little food. The Watermelon Mango cup is almost always empty the next morning.

Buttercup has figured out the sound/time of me waking up. So when I get up, he gets up and immediately starts staring at me for food/play time. Talk about food driven. No more huff. No more puff. No more bitey. Well except for trying to eat my hand instead of whatever food happens to be in my hand. But I have clearly been linked in his head as the bringer of good things and therefore he tolerates my presence.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 4, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'll be there at some point. Hoping to get there by Noon for the Uromastyx presentation, but I typically never drive that far south so not quite sure how long it'll take me to get there.

I'd say look for a hobo with an 4 month long fancy beard, but 4 months is about when I stop enjoying the beard and instead get annoyed by it. So now I am generic white guy.

Still don't really plan on getting everything, but I have an inkling I might come home with a female Tokay or Western Hognose.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
It was a pretty fun day. Sadly I didn't run into you Silver and I was on the lookout. It would have helped since it turns out as an Illinois resident I cannot buy a Western Hognose without a permit. :( Most of the vendors I talked to had no idea that was the case and thought it was dumb, but they're an endangered species in Illinois apparently. There was this pretty red hog I wanted and was ready to buy but he had to turn me down since I didn't have a DNR permit. Looking over the requirements had there be a vendor there from Illinois with a permit, I could have bought one from them and retroactively applied for my own permit, but all the hoggie sellers were from out of state. So guess I will email see what I need to get to get a permit for the next show.

Instead I came home with a pretty female Tokay for my boy. She still has some growing to do in a temp tub set up I'm working on. I didn't mean to,but I also came home with a Female Spider Het Pied Ball Python. She was cute and only $75 so I'm working on figuring out where to put her.

Also neat that I got to meet Brian from BHB Reptiles/SnakeBytes and Meghan Kelley.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 11, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
The most effort I go through for the Herps is making food for the BTS and after a month and a half I've already mostly given up on that since they don't really need it and just feed whatever I feel like that day be it dog food, roaches, cat food or other random stuff I have in the fridge. For the most part, if I would feed it to the dog, it is probably fair game for the BTS too.

Dogwise the most I did was her first birthday after I adopted her and I went to the trouble of crafting a McGangbang for her, that is about the /effort I can muster.

I am a bit annoyed at myself cuz I walked by their table like 4 times, but I forgot to buy Heat Tape/connectors from Reptile Basics and now I gotta order it online and pay shipping. :(

New Female Tokay is pretty awesome and pissy. Lots of cute barking and a few bloody wounds for me.

My sister saw the Spider Ball I bought and wanted to buy it off me until I took her out today and you know being stressed and all she actually struck at me. Didn't draw blood but there are teeny tiny fang marks on my thumb. She likes reptiles,but gets all freaked out about them biting her even though it isn't exactly a normal thing and is just the stress response.

She also refused to get near Bubba the Gator who was super awesome.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 12, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Buttercup, the BTS, usually hears me waking up/ stares at me waiting for me to get up since his tank is in front of my bed. Usually it is because he, like all Northern BTS, are gluttons for food and will hoover everything in their path. But some days he doesn't actually want food and just wants me to let him out so he can take a nap on my bed instead.

Also you're sorta right Guava, reptiles are dumb, but some do have enough mental capacity to recognize individuals and most remember, "oh yeah this dude brings me food. Hes cool, I shouldn't bite him anymore unless he smells like food then gently caress him, I'm going for it." Obviously certain families of reptiles are smarter than others. In general for lizards, it seems the bigger, the smarter they are.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 17, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
They can see red just fine. I've teased mine with a red laser pointer before. The whole reptiles can't see red thing is mostly bullshit.

Red and Blue are suggested for night lights because they're a lot less bright and won't bother them nearly as much as a bright white light would.

You probably don't need the lamp at all. If their warm spot is hitting like 90 and the overnight temp stays around 70ish then you'd be fine. Invest in a cheap instant read digital thermometer. They're like $15 on Amazon and amazingly useful.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I'm kinda partial to Rhino Rats. I love the vibrant green with that cute little horn.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Thank you, and WHAT A CUTIE.

I'm eyeing up a 15-gallon tank on Amazon, along with a heat pad, thermostat, liner, and this great-looking skull hideaway that would be perfect if I do in fact feel something when I check out William Snakespeare. Here's hoping. It would make things a lot easier.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but as of last week Petco was doing $1 a gallon sale. I picked up a 40 breeder for the Spider Ball I bought at Tinley Park.

I decided to try out velcro to hold the top down...It worked very well cuz I had trouble removing it myself at first and now the velco on the backside of the tank works kinda like a hinge. Neat. Didn't fit as nicely as I would have wanted since I had to bend out the lid a bit to get it to fit around the velcro's thickness.

So I've been taking care of my sister's ball python. Even though she knew we were going to Tinley Park, she couldn't wait and bought it at Petco. Turns out it came with free mites! Thankfully Professor Snake is nowhere near my collection so it hasn't made the jump to my critters. This mite thing did come with one advantage. All the soaks allowed me to figure out the gender. Because like all boys, the snake had to play with its weiners in the bath.

I wish the fucker would hurry up and shed though. He has been in a temp tub waiting for this shed, so I can move him back to his normal enclosure. I forgot unlike the Corns who poo poo and shed like clockwork, Ball Pythons hold back as long as they can on doing both things. He just poo poo out like 4 weeks worth of rats the other night. That was a huge turd. Still no shed even though he has been close for over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Soonmot posted:

ScaryDog, that is adorable!

Dollar per gallon should be going until 11-7, at least that when my dog training classes go back to normal price. The only problem, and the only reason Spaghetti doesn't have a brand new 40 gallon tank right now, is that I don't like the screen tops we sell and don't really trust the screen clamps to hold the lid down. Especially when I compare it to the nice slide in, locking top screen with the little padlock hole the Zilla kits come with.

Do you have pics of your top?

Sorry it took me a couple days. I didn't like the way it came out the first time, so I tore it off and redid the Velcro using a thinner version. Looks nicer, but as a result of me not knowing what I was doing at first, the tank/lid doesn't look as nice as if I had done it this way from the beginning.

http://imgur.com/a/l5doU
(Stupid Dog Hair. EVERYWHERE)

I'm still technically not done. I have to put in real hides since those are plastic pie plates that came with the apple pies I bought at a local pumpkin farm. Also, have to cover like 2/3 of the lid with aluminum foil tape to help hold in humidity since this is for a Ball Python and not a Corn Snake.

It works really drat well cuz I have trouble opening it which def means the snake is not getting out anytime soon. She keeps trying. Woken me up a few times flopping back down on the plastic tin after trying to get out.

She is also pretty feisty for Ball Python. She's struck at me so many times. It is amazing.

My sister's Ball tank using the generic Petco top and clips and not the slightly nicer fancier Zilla ones. It works OKAY. I had to super glue the lower half of the clips that go under the rim of the tank so they don't fall out. I wouldn't trust it if it held a snake that was actually interested in getting out like a Corn or my Ball Python does, but her little boy is perfectly happy hiding all day every day so fine for it.