Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Enjoying easy reptiles is a good thing.

*irc explodeydies*

*it is 2007*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I get my rodents from a local guy. He doesn't ship. This post is very helpful. Good job ms. bunnies.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

Does he catch them himself? Support local farms and you can ensure that they are organic and gluten-free.

He breeds them himself. They're half human.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Orange cubes are supposed to be refridgerated after opening.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Troutful posted:

Does anyone have a good method for getting mineral stains out of glass? I have anoles and I just moved into a new place where the water's noticeably harder and starting to leave stains on the walls of their tanks after misting. I'm going to invest in a water filter, but if anyone can suggest cleaning products (which would have to be non-toxic, since the anoles lick the walls of their tanks), that would be great.

A light wipe of vinegar might help. Very very diluted vinegar. But usually I just wipe off the walls and deal with it.

Silver Nitrate, it was me. It was me all along.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silver Nitrate posted:

I do work with a reptile rescue and we get a beardie a week, at least. They are very hard to adopt out to (even with the low adoption fee of $5). If your beardies aren't fancy colors there is no market for them at all, just like normal ball pythons.

Edit: I figure you all might be interested in what comes in during an average month. Typically we will have 8 normal ball pythons, 3 red eared sliders, 1 sulcata, 2 normal BCIs, 1 retic or burm, 3 corn snakes, 1 kingsnake, 6 beardies, 2 leos (these go super quick), 1 russian tortoise, 1 iguana (usually euthanized, no space) and one or two really weird things.

Mail me the Iguanas so I can use them to smite my enemies

I wonder if beardie hatchlings would be a viable food source. Like, kingsnake breeders feed normal ball pythons and corn snakes to their kings all the time. I wonder if boring rear end beardie hatchlings could be as useful.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

But how would they know that you ate it?

"It unfortunately passed away". and you get cool gator nuggets.

Also mail me gators.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What kind of moron told you to get UV lighting for a nocturnal animal? There's 0 evidence they need it or even enjoy it.

And I wouldn't waste money on an exoterra unless you're sure the kid is gonna be fascinated with it to the tune of $200-$300. They do fine in plastic bins that cost $10 instead.

E: I wouldn't get a 5 year old anything small enough they can squeeze to death and wouldn't sell a crested to anybody who was giving their kid one, either. If it's gonna be a family pet that's cool, but your 5 year old doesn't need an animal in his room because he's 5 and can easily knock over pet stuff and kill'em and then you have all kinds of sobby kid drama.

If you're still gonna insist on getting him something (and you are) just remember they live for 15+ years, females will randomly lay eggs even without males and if your house gets hotter than 80 degrees ever it's probably going to die terribly. They're great animals, but geckos are pretty delicate. Even the beginner ones are, and they're way less tolerant of stuff than snakes. Cresteds are great, but I wouldn't give them to a kid that young. They jump like bunnies, too. It's totally feasible the kid could lose it. gently caress, I've almost lost crested hatchlings that decided to go on a jumping binge.

But since you're gonna get one anyway: Get a 20 gallon long aquarium from petco the next time they do a $1 per gallon sale and a screen lid so you can turn it up on it's side. Do a quick google or youtube search for crested gecko DIY enclosures, find something you like, and do it. A hot glue gun, some foam, a few fake plants, the right temps and humidity and the right food and that gecko will do great for the 6 months it takes your 5 year old to get bored with it. And this way you don't have a ton in it.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 3, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Agree cresties don't need UV.

Disagree a pet for a child should be kept in a plastic bin

The kid is 5 so it's gonna murder the poo poo out of that crested anyway, or get bored because it's a reptile that sits there silently for 20 hours of the day. I just figure save the parents some cash.

For the record, I don't have anything against the dude who wants to get his kid a pet or whatever but this is dumb because the kid is 5 and everybody is going to whisper about what a bitch I'm being but somebody has to be straight with the guy instead of being goddamn hug island. Ball python at 9, sure. Crested at 5 says you're probably gonna be digging a hole in less than 6 months. Which isn't anything wrong with the kid. They're just little and delicate and not really a that-young kid pet.

If he ain't, that's great. I don't have high hopes for it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

To be perfectly honest dude, if your kid is fascinated by geckos your zoo may have an adoption program. You could call and ask if there's any reptiles available for adoption, maybe even one he could name. It's a cheap sponsorship, you help the zoo, and you don't have a dead animal and a sobbing kid (unless he throws a fit because he wants a reptile in his room too in which case, may god have mercy on your soul because sibling rivalry is terrible). Get a zoo membership, take the kid so he learns so freakin much and he can visit "his" reptile while he gets older and he CAN deal with having a tiny delicate gecko in his room. I'd say no younger than 10 for a crested, and even then it's tricky.

E: That was just brash, that wasn't even hostile. Hostile would be way more colorful and involve graphic descriptions of just where he can put his dumb idea.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jekub posted:

Rethinking, thanks for the advice and the (mostly) polite way it has been delivered.

We will revisit this in a few years, the house has more than enough animals as it is anyway (cats, dogs, fish , snake, garden full of wildlife), he gets to spend time on my sisters farm and we have membership at the local zoo so he's not exactly deprived of animal contact. But fair points all round, the reason I asked before commiting was to confirm if this was going to be a workable plan from people who have personal knowledge and if the answer is no, then it's no.

:qq: Somebody was mean to me because I asked a dumbass question. Let me be a passive aggressive little shitstain.

Why are you letting your 5 year old approach wildlife? He is 5 and is going to get ravaged or bitten or stung. Farm yes, zoo yes but wtf "garden full of wildlife". I guess you're one of those people who encourages a kid that young that spiders are cool and whoops, look who picked up a black widow while mommy/daddy wasn't watching.

On the other hand, if you get a video if your kid destroying animals (eh, or the other way around) you could probably get some youtube fame. I only rescind this if you live in some magical fairytale world where there are no dangerous fauna around (if you live in the US, you at least have some dangerous insects). I think you're expecting way too much of a 5 year old in terms of judgement. It's cool to teach kids about animals, but you sound like the moron who expected us to let kids handle the scorpions so they "get to know them". You just come off as the most flippant, oblivious person and I half expect your next thread post to be "TELL me how to make a cannon for my 5 year old who is fascinated by the american revolution, I want him to get the Full Experience".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

There's no reason to be a bitch about someone asking perfectly legitimate questions

This is why nobody likes PI, they all think we're like you.

Perfectly legitimate questions like "why is my dog making GBS threads blood, I don't want to go to a vet" and "what is the exact sound a 5 year old makes when a vinegaroon sprays him in the face in his garden full of wildlife?"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

How many of us didn't run around outside looking for bugs at that age? Did a five year old poo poo in your cheerios this morning?

I'm about to poo poo in yours (I'm gonna do it). Lots of us did. Encouraging harassing wildlife like that reads, is stupid.

gently caress, I used to throw cottonmouths out of my house's ditch so I could throw myself in it and hunt crawdads but that doesn't mean my parents were like "oh her wonderful creek of wonders!" about it and hollered at my stupid rear end when I brought goddamn venomous snakes into the house because "hey this one looks cold".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jekub posted:

I shall be sure to check that all the hedgehogs, squirrels and house spiders running around England are not murderous before letting him down the garden in future. It a dangerous world out there after all, just last week a small field mouse killed a child at his school.

Well at least when your kid grabs a hedgehog and gets multiple lacerations at least now I know you won't have to pay the hospital bill. You can put that money toward getting him an adder when he's 12 I guess. Well done.

Fraction posted:

Someone asked a question about reptile ownership, in a thread about reptile ownership, and then was perfectly reasonable in their response

Unlike certain loving idiots I could mention!! (Hint: it's you)

You know what, america beat you limey bastards once. It can do it again. *rolls up sleeves, an eagle cries out in the background*

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

If you can't think of a way out of this situation other than hyperbole and changing the subject, maybe you should just get the gently caress off the internet and back to whatever shithole you belong

That's pretty rich from somebody who had ferrets.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

Do you not believe in keeping animals as pets or something, only animal companions?

Yes. Exactly.

Fraction posted:

Do you even know how many animals you have, now?

More than you do because I dont live in a tiny lovely house with my mommy and no room :smug:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ I don't take meds except for asthma. I just alternate between fakeposting and honestposting.

Fraction posted:

Oh look I'm being a twat on my high horse and ignoring my awful hoarder tendencies, boo loving hoo

Hey I don't have a horse, that's why my last name is NoHorse, remember?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

AKA she just lives to troll everyone (fakepost) and have sex with her dogs (honestpost)

Look you have to gently caress your dog to join PIFB. Even you did it so it's not like you can hold it against me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

Nope. Just you and your gross fetish.

You've got no proof other than what you dream about every night.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know what I'd do if they banned me? I'd re register because I'm not some poor who has to bow to mommy's will. Does she spank you when you're a bad girl, too? Or do you leave that up to your girlfriend?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ 1/9/2009

Fraction posted:

:allears: There really is no low you won't sink to, is there? Anyone who isn't a straight white middle class boring bitch just isn't good enough, huh?

Well yeah. I'm sorry but if you wouldn't be allowed in 3O's condo, then you aren't cool enough to own reptiles.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

:munch:

Meltdown time.

I was serous about that Whites Tree Frog, Jekub. 5 is probably too young but they're super low maintenance, fun to watch hunt, they can change color and they're pretty long lived. I loved mine and he lived about 12 years. He was much easier to handle than most other herps I've seen, too.

All of these things pretty much disqualify a 5 year old from having one in my honest opinion. Not my "I am making lulz right now" opinion. You get a 5 year old a mouse so when it gets sick of it in 3 days, it only lasts like 6 more months. And when the kid accidentally kills it (or if) then you can feed it to the snake.

E: Ah well I guess we aren't allowed to joke on the forums at all anymore.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 4, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Aren't you an Air Force dependent?

No.

Silver Nitrate posted:

I like turtles

I too enjoy turtles because they're generally pretty cool dudes.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bwatts posted:

somebody got banned in pet island and i thought oh that seems weird i wonder what happened and came here. somebody said that poster fucks her dog and she was all "well you don't have any proof" and that's really weird. is that an acceptable thing here

Fraction and I sometimes team up and make joke fights in threads only this time I got banned.

wtftastic posted:

i want a snake. how do i snake. how can I prepare for snake.

Buy stock in mice. Ask silver nitrate about this.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

bwatts posted:

why do you gently caress your dog

I don't. It's a PIFB joke.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

Are giant land snails legal to own in places? I thought they were banned because they're a horrible invasive species that spread like crazy if they escape.

Regardless of legalities, I'm curious if they're safe given that this dude has cats and dogs. In Okinawa they used to make dogs sick. Dunno if it's a locality thing or not.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Plus with firebellies you'll learn if you actually like frog smells/sounds.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How much did you pay for it?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

How slow do you have to be to lose a turtle? You don't need PI, you need YLLS (or whatever it's called now).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Galactic posted:

Bearded dragons are so loving goofy. Found this little guy doing barrel rolls in the corner or his tank.

Rolling is hilariously caused by agony or sickness. Funnily enough, you should probably be at a vet with it if it's doing barrel rolls.

E: Reptiles don't roll for fun. Find a herp vet. Might be something as simple as an ear infection. Might even be that it's threatened, however it sounds like you caught it in the act so I'm leaning sickness.

E2: Hoodie or 126 or somebody is going to call me on that so reptiles don't roll for fun like 99.99999% of the time. Gosh.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Think another FB meltdown is brewing.

Facebook is fine? :confused:

That sounds more like a flip than a barrel roll so yeah he's probably just being an idiot. Like, hopefully anyhow.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Was referring to you. You seem to be weirdly acerbic to minor things lately.

Talk to silver nitrate imo

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Whenever somebody comes over I scream "Not for sale!" and throw my snakes in their faces.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You are way overthinking a tiny derp animal, man. Gecko wants up because they have no sense of self preservation and because human is high from ground which is Great.

My two huge corns are the only ones that are even remotely affectionate and that's just because they like my body heat. Hell, one of my smaller corns bit me just because I was cleaning his cage. So I was a fucker and picked him up and carried him around for 45 minutes while getting bit repeatedly because hey guess what shitlord if you bite while in your box you don't get to stay in there! But when you're good for 20 minutes you can go back.

Big Centipede posted:

congrats you loving weirdo.

Uh oh is there a BC meltdown brewing

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big Centipede posted:

Im gonna need you to strap on your contextual thinking helmet and try again to decide if my remark was sincere or in jest.

Did you just invite me to work a strapon on you because hey baby c'mere

E: Snakes! Hey! Snakes are great! I love my snakes.

E2: VVVV I didn't say poo poo about you bein in, that's why I have the strap on

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

I should probably put a disclaimer in the OP banning anyone who fucks animals or wants to gently caress other posters in this thread.

On topic - crocodilians are thought to have a really wide range of emotions, as 126 mentions that in his post. I really do think most reptile behaviour is mistaken as emotions by humans because they have to force some sort of bonded relationship with their boring pets.

I mean that's pretty much it on key. They want the animal to feel something and it just lays there not really giving a poo poo until you feed it for the most part with most species. Crocodilians are loving fascinating though. Even their weird social structure that's not really social (I don't have a great word for it) is more complex than other herps, yeah?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: ^^^^ I like that snake and I don't even like ball pythons most of the time.

Fraction posted:

If all of PI had this rule, FB couldn't post anywhere

Are we carrying on again? (ftr the only actually honest thing anybody's said about me in this thread lately is that I'm a fat rear end, jfc I don't gently caress my dog and I'm not a wiccan and me jacking around isn't a meltdown and I'm not nuts. People aren't always serious on the internet Deadpan Island)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that with regular handling they can be tamed down, but every one I've met was a poo poo. They are gorgeous, though.

The two we did educational poo poo with at the zoo were pretty good. The one on display would literally strike at every single white person who walked past.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If she's used to being a breeder she might be used to brumination around that time of year, despite temperatures. D'you have any idea if she's ever been bred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hood Ornament posted:

Snakes are pretty good swimmers, I've let mine go in full bathtubs and let them screw around in there. Filling up a bathroom sink is a good option, as well.

I've never used ecoearth so I can't give an opinion there.

Ecoearth's cool stuff.

Snakes are pretty fantastic swimmers. Just be ready to catch the little fucker when it dives out the side of your sink/tub at a thousand miles an hour. They go faster than a thing with no legs should be able to go.