Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I went to the Pittsburgh Reptile Show today! While I was there, I met and fell in love with uromastyx, and cresties. :kimchi: The uromastyx was SUPER SUPER CHILL! I was surprised by how chill he was! Just kinda hung out on my hand and looked at me. On the other hand, cresties have these adorable sticky toes...

Some questions --

I know cresties are incredibly easy to care for, but I have cats in the household, and I don't want the poor little guy to drop his tail. Is there a high risk of that kind of predator reaction?

Are uromastyx always pretty easy to handle? Are they fussy eaters? Do they have any special care requirements? What kinds of things should I watch out for at reptile shows -- anything in terms of poor health that I should avoid? The one uromastyx I handled had a couple of lumps/scars on his back, and a couple little whitish marks that almost looked kinda fuzzy, like a fungus or something. :\ I understand they benefit from very high temps and a burrow space, but is humidity a big concern? I've had a little trouble keeping the tank of our ball python consistently humid (something I'm hoping his new tank will address).

Thanks for any info!

Edit: :c00l: chameleon --

And a couple of tinycute cresties --

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the input. Whatever I do purchase, the new baby would live in a room away from the cats, just like Salazar. It's possible cats will get in on occasion (as Jack can hit the door handle the right way if he throws himself at it enough times), but exposure would be very infrequent.

I have another month until the next show, and will continue to research. If anyone else has thoughts/opinions, I'd love to hear from you.

Edit: Man, after looking at some of the immense desert clones people have set up for their uros, I'm thinking I'll ease into lizards with a crestie.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2015

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sorry to hear about your situation, BlueInk. Good luck sorting things out. :( If finances are a concern, maybe you could just start with a basic ventilated plastic tub?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Meet Ginger!

Sticky feet. :kimchi: She's just the cutest little thing. Feeding Pangea tomorrow, but aside from feedings, I'll be hands-off for a couple of weeks while she acclimates and while I make sure she has a cozy enclosure!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Adorable! :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love this little girl so much. :kimchi:

Still giving her plenty of space, but she was eager to help herself to the food spoon when I was getting her meal all mixed and put on display, sooo...that happened.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

dog days are over posted:

Guhh cresties are ridiculously cute, I love their feet so much.

Is that viv temporary for her? I know cresties are arboreal and like to be high up rather than on the floor but she looks young so I don't know if they start like that or what?

Here's a terrible pic of Resident Evil 4:

I LOVE HIM (and his name). :kimchi:

Ginger is ittybitty right now, and I've been warned that ittybitty geckos will waste too much energy exploring and forget to eat, so she's in a smaller viv right now compared to where she'll be in adulthood. She still has some vertical climb available (both the tiki statue and the fake vine easily support her gymnastics), but not as much as I want to give her whenever she's older and less stupid.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Spaghetti is adorable.

I'd be interested in seeing a full pic of Resi's home! I'm not sure yet how to set up Ginger's adult home.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my mom has a new physical therapist, and he came to the house yesterday. We had warned the agency about the cats but they forgot to tell him about the snakes. Guess who is petrified of snakes? But also wants to overcome that fear. So he held a baby sand boa and two ball pythons for a few minutes yesterday. Totally enthralled by them. He did make the offhand comment that if someone ever tried to rob us, they'd take one look around at all the cages and bail the gently caress out.

Pretty cool that the guy went so far as to handle a couple of the snakes.

I am in love with geckos. Post more geckos!

Last night, I went to feed Ginger, and she got all jumpy on me. Ended up jumping into my hands, jumping out of my hands, running up my arm, jumping onto my glasses, falling down my shirt, jumping into my hands, falling onto the floor, then jumping back into my hands. At one point she meeped. It was an adorable little display of instantly-regretted actions.

Later, she was hiding at the very top of her vine, trying to look her most regal. You'll get there, baby.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awesome! :neckbeard: I love the Bahamut and Tiamat names, too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

All of your pets have such awesome names. I'm beginning to think Ginger might be too tame and uncreative. :haw:

Here she is this morning:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is it normal for one's gecko to hang upside down from her vine? 'Cause that's what she was doing this afternoon. Just...completely upside down.

Also, how can I be sure she's eating enough? :ohdear: If I see tiny gecko poops, does that mean I've got little to worry about?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the reassurances! New parent syndrome, indeed. I'll prioritize the purchase of a digital food scale.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Okay -- another food-related question about my crestie.

I've been putting food out for Ginger every other night, since the breeder told me that she wouldn't need more than that, but yesterday I caught her scoping out her dried-out food remnants after being fed on Saturday night. I gave her more food last night, and she ate a fair amount.

Does this signify anything important, or did she just want her fair share of Thanksgiving over-indulgence? I have no idea when she's due to shed, or if wanting more to eat is related to that. Maybe she's just a growing girl?

She's the cutest. :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

TheNothingNew posted:

Cresties are little piggies and will stuff themselves into obesity. You're probably okay for now with the alternating day feeding, but I'd pull the food once it starts getting a crust.
Adults get fed less. My adult crestie gets fed once a week and is maintaining weight nicely.

Great color depth on Ginger there.

Thanks! I'll keep that routine in mind.

I appreciate the continued hand-holding through my new parent worries, thread. :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^ so precious :kimchi:

We decorated for Christmas today.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm in the mood for some adorable reptiles. Does anyone have recent pics to show off? I'm especially into the idea of snakes wearing tiny Santa hats, so if you make that happen, I will be your fan forever. :kimchi:

Edit: I'll contribute to the snakes wearing Santa hats thing tomorrow.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

OKAY this has no tiny Santa hats but here is Ginger!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ginger is a tiny dragon who deserves a castle to conquer.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Moved a ball python by car from Houston, TX to Pittsburgh, PA over the course of about 2.5 days. He was kept in his tank through the journey. It was early May, so nights were chilly, but he came through it no worse for wear. Kept him warm mostly with ambient temps and those hand warmer packet things.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

I think it's time for some new tank liner. So poopy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'll get some sphagnum in there for sure!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ginger -- my crested gecko -- has had a flaky awful shed... :sigh:

Her first couple of sheds have gone so well, but this time she's got skin bits sticking all over, including on some of her toes. I've been doing my best to gently free her toes, but she's so twitchy and ticklish that I'm having a hard time. Any suggestions? Should I just let her keep a damp hide for a few days and hope things work themselves out?

Regarding ball pythons -- Salazar's eyes went all cloudy a week ago, but he hasn't started to shed yet. Is that normal? Is he being slow about it because of the time of year? Should we feed him, or wait until he's done getting rid of his skin?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you both very much!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yes! Pictures!

Also -- the recommended spa treatment for Ginger worked well. Her feet are (mostly) clear. Some bits still stuck on the bottom of her toes, but nothing surrounding her toes anymore.

I had a dream Thursday night that Salazar started shedding? Sure enough, I woke up on Friday, and he'd taken a giant poo poo and started casting off his skin. Unnnfortunately, like Ginger, he's having some trouble with the dry air of winter, so he's been getting spa treatments, too. Baths for all!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He's a very handsome snake!

I feel like Ginger's shedding every other week. Geckos grow fast.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Keep us updated on her status!

So sorry about your hog... :smith:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Poor girl. She's looking lovely, though. I hope she continues gaining weight and regaining proper hydration!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I accidentally left the lid open on my gecko tank over Saturday night, and by the morning, Ginger was gone. She was nowhere to be found.

Then, later in the day, she's just sitting on the floor like "what's up." Totally chill, totally unharmed and unhurt despite the cat in the room, totally still with her tail. She's a feisty little thing I think.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yes! Snekcam!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ah, poor Sparky... :( You have my sympathy, Chaos.

Sounds like you're doing what you can. Feed some favorite foods, offer lots of attention, and steel yourself for the farewell.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I guess that doesn't seem all that bad to me. The rats die very quickly that way.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Are you sure it's the geckos? Yoshi looks pretty guilty.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whereabouts are you, Cowslips? Sand boas are legal in my state, and I've got space...

For that matter, so are hoggies, and I've been wanting one.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Getting some kind of gas-powered generator might be the best option. You can convert electronics to run off batteries if they don't already, but from what I know (and I don't know much), it's pretty inefficient.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-1800-Watt-Gasoline-Portable-Generator-CARB-Compliant-56180/205887403 -- just to give you an idea of what I'm referring to

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 25, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Salazar pulls his poo poo down sometimes. I assume it's because he's taking advantage of the terrain. His temperature gauges aren't meant to provide a leg up, of course, and that's why they fall down, but he uses them to try and reach his ceiling, anyway.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What kind of tank does Brody have? It's pretty nice!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks!

The design seems comparable to what Exo Terra sells. Both are priced...about the same? Ish?

Anyone have any thoughts and feelings about Exo Terra tanks versus other brands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks!

Salazar, our ball python, is in a glass tank right now. Humidity has been a definite issue. We'll look into switching to plastics -- he's almost due for an upgrade, anyway. So's our gecko.