Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

hackbunny posted:

VVV e: We were trying to breed them, but either the male is a hopeless virgoon (he mounts her, bites her behind the head and then... nothing) or the size difference makes mating physically impossible. I'll tell my girlfriend about separating them, but it's her call anyway, she's their caretaker
What are your intentions for breeding? If you are just interested in having additional animals, and can care for them, cool. If you are looking to sell them, there's probably no huge demand for them where it's gonna be worth your time and effort, and you may just end up with a bunch of animals you don't have room for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

supermikhail posted:

Any recommendations about what I could read, or better watch, about interactions of pet reptiles with their owners? I'm still interested in how domestic they can be, so, you know, I'd appreciate both the "I don't give any fucks whether you exist" and the "woo, yes, belly rubs" (if this exists) perspectives. Or perhaps even only watch, because the selectivity and distortions of books can be very heavy. (While in videos there's at least something beyond the words.)

My turtle hates/fears me most of the time, but if I run my finger along the glass of her tank, she will chase after it. It's not affection in any sense of the word, but it provides some level of interaction between me and my pet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pile of Kittens posted:

The first time I saw this picture, I thought the rat feet were part of the snake's mouth and I was very horrified and confused.

Name him Omar.
Haha, same. Especially since the post started with 'he has a hosed up face'

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Zandorv posted:

New, uninformed idiot here asking about turtles for a friend who wants a turtle. She's never owned a reptile before, but she really likes turtles a lot, so I thought I'd try to get her a beginner turtle for her birthday/Christmas (I asked her about this- it isn't a surprise). She's vegan, though, and doesn't want a pet that's not herbivorous. After some searching I found that adult Central American Wood Turtles are pretty much herbivorous (although they will on rare occasions eat insects in the wild, they're not necessary for their diet and plenty of owners keep them on an all-vegetable diet) and they're supposed to be easy to care for. However, our local PetSmart does not stock them (though they are on the PetSmart website) and I'm not really sure how to go about finding them. Quick Google searches don't give me any results on breeders for these types of turtles in Alabama and although I've found a couple of websites (namely BackWaterReptiles and ReptileCity) that say they'll ship them I can't imagine that getting a turtle sent to you via USPS is a good idea. Any advice on how to go about obtaining a turtle like that, or does anyone have an alternative that might be easier to obtain?

General advice would also be appreciated. I have some experience with fish and cats, but I've never kept a turtle (or any reptile for that matter) before and since she hasn't either, we'd both love to hear any tips anyone has. She thought about getting a tortoise since it's easier to find an accessible, herbivorous tortoise than it is a turtle, but we've both heard those require more space and more experienced hands than turtles do, plus she likes turtles more. We know they need a pool, a dry area, and a heat lamp in a tank that's at least 30 gallons and that they shouldn't be handled unless necessary, but not a whole lot else. Also, as a note she has a cat (I know that would seem to go against the whole vegan thing, but the cat was sort of shoved on her by a friend who couldn't keep it and she made an exception for the cat so it wouldn't end up in a shelter) and lives in a relatively small apartment with no balcony or anything, so this would be a 100% indoor turtle/tortoise.

So, is there a place where we can find Central American Wood Turtles that isn't incredibly sketchy? Should we just give up and get a tortoise, and if we do will she be able to keep it alive? Is there another herbivorous breed of beginner turtle we could look into? Thanks for any help or advice you can give!
Shipping turtles, at least from a reputable source that knows what they're doing, isn't a big deal. That being said, depending on where the turtle is being shipped from/to, a reputable dealer likely will not send one in December/January.

As far as keeping a turtle being easier than a tortoise, I would disagree. A turtle should get 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell - Meaning ideally a red ear slider for example should at least get a 90 gallon tank. They're also incredibly filthy animals and will require a filter rated for 3 times the amount of water they're in. They require a good basking spot, kept at the appropriate heat, and a UVB bulb. The species you're looking at should be kept ideally in a 75 gallon tank.

Finally, and this is veering strongly into personal opinion territory, I don't think it's totally appropriate to put any species of turtle on a strictly vegetarian diet. People do it, but I don't think it's what's best for any species. Some species as they grow older do slowly switch to a more herbivorous diet, but young turtles benefit greatly from a bit of meat in their diet while they're growing. They don't eat the occasional worm/insect in the wild for fun, they do it because it's a part of their natural diet. We should always strive to reproduce that diet in captivity, regardless of our personal morals.

Certainly not trying to be a stick in the mud, but the idea of turtles being easy to care for is misguided. It's easy to keep a turtle alive, because they're hardy animals, but it's not easy to take proper care of them. A tortoise may be the way to go, especially with her preferences regarding feeding.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Zandorv posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'll ask her about what you've said. A couple of questions, though- the turtle I'm looking at is only semi-aquatic, and most sources I looked at said they just needed a tub on one side of their tank filled with water about 2" deeper than their shell height. Was that incorrect? If so, is there anywhere you'd recommend looking for guides on turtle or tortoise care? I know with fish at least there's a lot of misinformation out there about how to properly care for them, and I know she wants to make sure she provides the optimal environment for her pet.

Also, you said young turtles need meat in their diet- if she got a fully matured adult turtle instead would feeding it a vegetable-only diet alright, or would you still suggest supplementing meat on occasion? We picked that particular type of turtle because several sources said it was pretty much herbivorous as an adult (whereas most others we looked at were still omnivorous) and she planned to get an adult because of that, but if that's untrue then I am going to guess she will probably go for the tortoise.

Edit: As a shipping note, I live in Alabama and we're experiencing an unseasonably warm winter. It's been 70+ degrees outside all winter so far, so based on your comment I'd think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to ship here, right?

Yeah, they definitely don't need deep water compared to other species, but the smaller the water area, the quicker it'll get fouled. Most keepers I have seen opt for 75 gallons for that species, but I have seen care sheets that say 55 as a bare minimum. You can always do plastic bins instead of an aquarium, which would be the cheaper option. I just mean to stress that turtles frequently end up in smaller enclosures than ideal. You had mentioned a 30 gallon tank, and I would say that's too small, at least for a mature turtle.

If the enclosure's going to be setup in a way where the water is in a removable tub, then you could get away without a filter by doing frequent water changes. If the setup is a bit more permanent though (like a tank partially filled, with a basking area built above the water line), filtration will be necessary. You'll start to understand when the turtle decides to poo in the water - It's..... unpleasant. My 6" turtle clouds the entire 125 gallon tank once a day for like 10 minutes before the filter clears it up. Unfiltered, things would get real gross real fast. Who knows though, maybe wood turtles prefer terrestrial pooping.

As far as diet goes, like I said, that's more of an 'in my opinion' thing than anything else I said. You could probably find experienced keepers who would be ok with giving that species nothing but veggies. I guess her reasoning is what's throwing me a bit, that's all. I think you could have a healthy vegetarian turtle in this species, but that you'd have a healthier omnivore. Is it specifically live food that she takes issue with? Like, would pellets containing fish meal be an issue for her? It's not like veggies only would be animal abuse or anything for this species though.

Temps sound ideal in your area for shipping. As far as good resources for turtles, my personal favorites are Austin's Turtle Page, which initially looks pretty amateur but has good info, and turtleforum.com. The forums even specifically have a subforum devoted to rating dealers, which might help you out. There's a lot of younger people on the forum, so you need to filter out some chaff, but some of the older members there are obsessively knowledgeable, submit to scientific journals, etc.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

UltraRed posted:

It looks like a diamond back terrapin to me.
Don't know of their habitat range. Wikipedia says it doesn't cover California, but it says that for box turtle, too. Can we get a clearer view of the back of his shell? If it's that young it will take a few days/weeks to get its coloration.

A sure fire way to test is to put it in a tank and give it a piece of tomato. If it eats it on land, then it's a terrestrial turtle. Terrapins need water to swallow, and should be fed Reptomin sticks you can get at any pet store.

Aquatic turtles also spend of their lives in the water. If it prefers to hang on a ledge with it's body submerged, it's definitely an aquatic turtle.
I don't see DBT at all. The baby's plastrons tend to be whitish with elaborate black markings, and every picture I've ever seen suggests they're born with their skin markings present (I've never bred them or anything, so no personal experience). They at the very least are born with their carapace markings, which are distinct enough that I feel like the OP would have posted a shot of if they were present.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

hyperhazard posted:

I have that dream too! You open the tank and realize in horror that you bought half a dozen new snakes a year ago, and you've forgotten
Haha, that's incredible, I used to have the same dream with fish tanks. Just this dread at realizing I've completely neglected a bunch of tanks I forgot I had, and they're all disgusting and murky.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bollock Monkey posted:

Aren't tortoises pretty hard work? I thought they were one of the 'advanced' herps.

Re beardies, is this care sheet sensible?
Turtles are absolutely hard work, tortoises less so.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

FartingBedpost posted:

Otachi update! We’re starting a cycle for a new bigger tank! Hopefully it cycles by the end of the month. We accidentally put in a gallon of chlorinated water the other day, but after two 30/40% water changes and not screwing up past that, she seems to be doing well. Gonna keep an eye out, but is there anything else that I can do?

Also she’s ravenous. She goes nuts for earthworms and pellets.
How are you controlling water temp? I really, really want an axolotl, but chillers are expensive, and every other option sounds awful.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Cowslips Warren posted:

Phoenix goon here. AC in the house of course, and in warmer months I have a fan shooting directly on top of the open tank.
What water temps are you usually sitting at? My house is never (especially in the summer) below say, 68-69 degrees, so even in the winter, I'd be 4-8 degrees hotter than recommended temps. Summer time I'd probably be like 10 degrees above.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

http://imgur.com/a/1Fu6N3z

Jacksonville, NC. Found this guy crawling on my fence. I'm thinking baby anole, but wondered if anyone could confirm?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm gonna go with green as well, since I've seen about a dozen bright green ones around my house since. I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Be wary of “my vet said” it will be utter nonsense 100% of the time. Firstly 90% of the time there was no exotic vet. True Exotic vets are rare, and actual experience they have varies wildly depending on where they are, rural Alabama they may have only seen your snake/reptile in a book. On the other hand they may be very good and fully aware that they are talking to an idiot who will hear what they want to hear, so simplify to advice that will do the least harm without any idea this advice will be passed round the internet.
I've worked with very good exotic vets before, and I would *still* say to take their husbandry advice with a grain of salt. Utter nonsense is harsh, but simply put, nobody can be an expert on every single exotic pet's care. They're a good resource for treatment of ill animals because well, a lot of the illnesses are similar between different species of reptiles, but knowing the proper humidity level for every single reptile that comes through the door? Nah, not gonna happen.