Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey folks!

I'm in a funky mood - we had to put our dog down on Friday - and I've been reminiscing about pets past. So it's snake story time!

When I was in high school (in the early 90's), I got a ball python. I'm pretty sure I was not the best owner - I was a dumb kid - but he and I got along great, and I brought him everywhere with me in a dumb basket with padding. It wasn't really even secured; he was so chill it didn't matter. Parties, campouts, youth group, Burger King, everywhere. And he was a chill snake like they usually are, and was very forebearing with us.

Anyway, one summer I brought him to a friend's backyard party, and met up with my brother there. He'd ridden his bike, and his girlfriend dumped him at the party, so I had to haul my crying brother and his bike home. This was like April 1992, give or take. While he was despondent in the back seat, Monty (of course he was named Monty, I was a dumb kid) got out and simply disappeared. Since that was the back seat, and I had the trunk bungeed open, I was pretty sure he'd crawled out and ended up on the highway somewhere. We tore up the loving car, and couldn't find him, and I was just despondent. I was pretty sure we'd never see him again.

Anyway, cut to August. I headed off to Gen Con for the week with some friends, and when I got back, Monty was back in his cage. I was floored.

While I was gone, my dad enlisted his mechanic friend to drive my car to his place and get it all checked out. So they were driving down I-80 eastbound, my dad following his friend in my car.

About 20 minutes into the trip, my dad sees my car just swerving left and right in front of him like it's gone out of control. His buddy pulls it over, jumps out of the car and yells at my dad, "THERE'S A GODDAMN SNAKE IN THERE!"

I have no idea how he'd survived the summer, but sure enough, Monty was the picture of health up until I had to give him away when I headed off to college.

And that's the story of how I got my snake back.

---

And in more relevant news, my older son wants a ball python of his own, especially after losing our dog. I want him to be a better caretaker than I was back then, so want to make sure we've got the right stuff to keep a new snake happy. What's the best resource for these little dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Samila posted:

This is a pretty good care guide to start with.

Just don't buy a ball python from a pet store! Order from MorphMarket, look for a local breeder, or buy from a reptile show. Here is a list of upcoming reptile events.
Thanks! I remember there being a breeder up near Chicago; I'll see if they still happen to be around.

I appreciate it!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

snake and bake posted:

Spiders are my dipstick for judging breeders. If someone breeds spiders, they obviously care more about profit or appearance than the health of their snakes. I have zero respect for that.

A truly responsible breeder who wants to produce healthy snakes would never breed a morph with a very well-known and completely unavoidable neurological defect.
Speaking of ball python breeders, the time to buy my son his first ball python has finally arrived. I just got in touch with a small hobbyist breeder in Tinley Park IL and we'll be heading up to pick one out this coming weekend. I'm very glad we're getting a snake from a breeder instead of a local pet store, as this thread recommended. (This guy isn't doing any crazy stuff, by all appearances.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The issue isn’t crazy stuff, the issue is breeding sound gene lines, not breeding for risky morphs like spider, and not inbreeding.

If you’re gonna buy from a hobbyist at their own home, make sure to grill them on the snake lineage. Ask to see the parents and ask where they got them from. A good snake breeder is like a good dog breeder- they should know the pedigrees of their animals going back to when the lines were acquired.
Well, here's his page if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/Kerrsballpythons/

He looks to keep good track of his lineages, with ID numbers and whatnot. I feel a lot better about getting a snake from him than from the local Petsmart.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My kid got his first snake today. A pastel ball python.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That snake is lovely but repeat after me: you guys a snake together
Hah yeah no illusions there. He's adapting to his new habitat, and the cat's trying to figure out what the gently caress.

Also the coconut hideout was way too small, but he was game to give it a shot anyway.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Good to know. We already replaced it out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait, that guide says you can use brown listerine to disinfect enclosures? Tell me more, please...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

listerine is a disinfectant
Yes.

But it was mentioned that you don't need to rinse the cage? That seems weird.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

My loving god, I know ball pythons are picky as poo poo when it comes to eating but it's been a MONTH, will you assholes at least pick a schedule! My albino girls look all excited and exploring and eager to eat until I offer them a mouse. Then they sniff...sniff....head off to do something else.

Yeah our new guy hasn't eaten for a month, but that's not exactly weird for ball pythons. Trying again tomorrow; problem is he was raised on live, so he's being picky about frozen. (I don't want to risk getting live, and then having him not eat that either, and then having a pet mouse/rat for my younger kid to get attached to.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of, I am thinking of hooking both the undertank and the CHE to the same thermostat, but not sure how dumb this is. I may just unplug the undertank entirely since it's doing gently caress-all after we added cypress for humidity.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Our ball python ate. :toot:

I was worried he would never make the transition from live to dead rodents, but he finally did.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey herp thread, my kid almost lit his dresser on fire with the ceramic heat emitter after moving it from his snake's cage.

We got it before there were actual, like, flames. Charting, cracking, varnish bubble... His room smells delicious now... But yeah, those things get kinda hot!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Speaking of balls, we've now had 3 successful feedings in a row. We've finally figured out how he likes to eat, and how he shows us he's hungry.

:thumbsup:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That sounds about right. Or in the tub/sink really. I’d use 50/50 water/vinegar if you need a pet safe solvent. I made heavy use of a spray bottle full of the stuff with my rabbits’ enclosure and it’ll cut through dried up poo poo/piss no sweat.

Stepping up from that, you can use something like dilute Simple Green or a Method cleaner but I would take stuff out for those types of jobs and rinse heavily, and I wouldn’t use anything beyond water/vinegar in the enclosure itself.
A reptile guide I read not too long ago had great things to say about brown listerine as a reptile tank disinfectant.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Tortoises get pretty drat chill with interaction and people argue that they bond with them.
Yeah but make sure your kids are okay with inheriting your pet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have never seen a ball python that lifts his head to look around near as much as my kid's pastel.

(And it's not the straight upwards "I have respiratory problems" kind, it's literally the "getting a better look around" kind and he only does it while my kid has him out.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My kid's pastel ball wanted to say hi.

Is putting the head up to look around common for balls? He's the first ball I've ever known to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

HungryMedusa posted:

Very common. They call it telescoping. Cute snke!
Nice. I can't believe I never saw it on a ball before.