Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hi friends. I am a first-time lizard owner, having recently rehomed a couple adult beardies from a friend who wanted to downsize a ridiculous pet menagerie.

They came with a 18X36 Vivarium which was a little sparse. After a lot of reading I decided to go with a nice textured tile for substrate as it was the only one that seemed universally well-regarded and indeed it cleans easy, retains heat, and I'm told most importantly prevents impaction of particulates in their little lizard tummies. Payday I'm going to get some good size landscaping rock tiles to create a bit more of a Z-axis for them to climb and play on and a hide for the basking side of their enclosure in case they want to dwell in a cavern.

I have been feeding them dried mealworms and mixed greens and/or veg once a day, with live dusted crickets as a weekly feeding. They seem reasonably healthy and are amenable to handling (though don't ask my why my son is holding and looking at his like a hoagie he's about to take a bite out of.)

I am doing a lot of catch up reading and research trying to be a good lizard dad to Nicol Bolas and Lady Onyxia, and they are good animals. Welp that's my lizard post thanks for reading.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Adorable scaleghetti.

It's normal to do this kind of thing as a new lizard dad and I'll eventually get it out of my system, right?

E: What's the best way to add some background texture appeal and dimensionality with ledges and stuff to my viv without breaking the bank? I've seen some interesting things done with spray insulation fill foam.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 22, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What sort of tile did you use? Just regular paving stone type dealies from a hardware store?

That's what was recommended on the herp boards I found. I assume there's no special "vivarium substrate tile" and if there were it would just be the hardware store stuff rebranded and marked up 50%

I was able to get 2 18x18" tiles for like 8 bucks, they look great, the beardies seemed to much prefer it to the temporary newspaper situation and cruised around happily on it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There are a ton of web tutorials and YouTube vids showing people making backdrops/elevation at all levels of complexity and effort out of spray insulation and/or styrofoam. Exo Terra also sells relatively cheap (<$20-30 depending on size) premade foam background panels on Amazon with different environmental features/colors/textures that are meant to be easily modified/combined and there are guides out there for turning those into showier pieces as well. Also ZooMed makes some cork tiles that may be better if your beardie is the sort to tear up styrofoam.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to post pics as I build lizard groverhaus.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Added some dimensionality to the enclosure with a little climby guy they are taking right to.

I'm not above bribing them to get them to explore the new piece of lizard furniture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-ZkbKUtkc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Artsygrrl posted:

So hungry! And I dig the highly interested tabby in the background.

One of my thoughts when I agreed to adopt them is I didn't want another cat, let alone a dog, to take care of given my lifestyle of commuting and doing the 9-5 grind... but I was also getting the impression Mewgene Debs was lonely and bored during the day while I was away.

So I figure they are a good way to keep her mentally stimulated; I put her perch right next to the enclosure to watch "lizard TV." And for their part they seem happy as long as the heat lamp is turned on every day and they get some food and a clean enclosure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Careful. A cat will happily eat a lizard if given the chance.

When the lizards get yard time I carefully monitor the interactions, because yeah she gets bitey around tails in particular. I don't think she's clever enough to get into the lidded terrarium when they're locked away.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Being the dumbest motherfucker alive means I can be wildly entertained by some of the dumbest creatures on this planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLcJHQLcOjc

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the beardies don't seem that dumb. arnt they decently smart for animals.

I mean it only with the greatest of affection. The little dipshits are adorable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ha. There is a bit of a scramble at first, but once they are in lazychomps "just grab them when they hop by" mode they kind of remind me of hungry hungy hippos.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Whenever I pick up their crickets I see all the interesting models of beardie and I kind of wish my beardies were the smoother, cuter less pointy-pokey morphs, but I love them all the same as their adoptive lizard dad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is the moment. Yes, lean into it. This where you pick up a metal shelving unit and start adding enclosures. This is where it goes from being some pets you adopted to a goddamn lifestyle.

I am fighting to be "a guy who owns a couple lizards" instead of "a lizard guy"

My admittedly morbid thought was when I start over in 9 years or however much longer these guys last I'll get a different morph or two to take over in the enclosure. Maybe it will be haunted by lizard ghosts of the previous generation.

I am giving some thought to incubating a single lil egg for friends who requested rather than exercising Lady Onyxia's right to choose on all of them next time she shits out a clutch. But I'm also not going to start breeding them in earnest. From what I've read hatchings basically means "Mountains of crickets are now your life."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 1, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that sounds genuinely upsetting i'm glad i got the kind of snakes that are fairly small, and also have legs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQXvIBVWMg

These loving guys. <3

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 2, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://youtu.be/iz9ukPj_ifo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

God Damnit Nicol Bolas was waving at me right after I turned out the lights and stopped as soon as I got the camera out. First time either has shown that behavior.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, I think I'm finally done dinkering. It's not like their tiny brains need THAT much to keep them occupied:

E: Nicol Bolas, the male, took up residence in the newly-added corner hide and hasn't come out for hours. Usually they are both baskers. Maybe this torpidity presages a period of fall brumination?

E2: N/m he wasjust having a lazyt Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoV6lQD0dok

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 9, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fuuuuck.

I set Nicol Bolas and Lady Onyxia out to clean their terrarium and get some yard time. Usually they don't stray too far but today I turned my back and those fuckers hid, and hid well

If they don't turn up tonight I've got a cunning plan for tomorrow: Fill their terrarium with chirpy bois, turn off the rest of the lights in the room, and set it on the ground.

E:

lizardfind progress bar at 50%

You a good lizard?
Boy, you must be some kind of GREAT lizard hiding in the one inch clearance under my knicknack shelf all by yourself.
Where's your partner?
Where's your PARTNER?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 20, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the prison sense, they were still in the house.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wdeZLyXUK8

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I made the mistake of letting my kids tag along to the Lizard Store when I was picking up some chirpi bois for the beardies the other day.

Now the past several days my daughter has been pestering me with the incessant need for a tortoise.

I have explained they are not snuggly, less so even than the beardies. That they live long enough that it is a commitment not only for me, but also for her to take over when I am done in by heart disease or jealous husband, and then even potentially her kid.

Still she persists, looking up facts and care sheet stuff and trying to persuade me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So you found the other one after the great escape? Hurray!

Oh yeah sorry for the lack of update. The next morning she just crawls out from.under my excercise bike and looks up at me like "well are you gonna put me back in the terrarium and give me mealworms or what dude?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

doubel

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gotta let 'em know who's boss (also putting together my haloween costume)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

*pours mealworms in the food dish*
Lady Onyxia LEAPS down to do some MONCH
*pours flower topper on as well for more nutrients and fiber*
Lady Onyxia looks up at me with this side eye like I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.
"Look, you can't just eat worms alone. It's all... part of this balanced breakfast."

I admit either she's smarter and more expressive than I give her credit for; or familiarity is making me anthropomorphize them more. She often looks out seemingly interested in what I'm doing.

The male is still a dumb lethargic gently caress though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

^^^^^^^ Love 'em. :kimchi: ^^^^^^^^

It's been awhile since I showed Elmore off. Just look at this smug-rear end bastard. I love him so much.

Elmore is a good and cool dragon. Unlike these idiots who get clowned on by their own food.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1070149629243740160

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I want to pet that monitor lizard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Howdy partner. I'm the sheriff of crickets and mealworms.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

crabrock posted:

we decided that Kaiju was old enough for his first pet, so we got him a Betta. We weren't 100% sure how he'd react to it but he likes to sit over by it and watches it swim around. He hasn't black bearded or tried to eat it yet, and every evening he's curled up by it and laid down to sleep.

it's name is Cuck Finn the Beta fish.

Your beardy seems to have a snubby snout, which is v. cute.

I consider the beardies in part pets for the cat, so if I got a pet for them it would be like... petception.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1081662405254483970

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

I think beardies are charming little fellows and an excellent choice for a starting herp.

Agreed. I love my dumbass idiots. :3

And the maintenance is basically "turn on the lamp in the morning, off at night, spritz em with water, wipe poo poo off tile, occasionally feed live dusted crickets and otherwise dried mealworms and green veg." Not hard. And they tolerate handling well with my kids.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Krayt dragons were giant carnivorous reptiles that came in two subspecies: the smaller and more common canyon krayt, and the larger greater krayt.[1] Due to their large size and ferocity, they were the apex predators of Tatooine.[3] Their bodies produced krayt venom, which helped the dragons as an acid in pre-digestion of their food.[4]

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

goblin week posted:

Took my frog, Reggie, to a vet to get him some meds for frog diarrhea. He contracted chytrid last year, which he managed to beat, but the antifungal medications kinda messed him up on the inside, so before christmas he was at 17 grams and I thought he'd croak it. I left him at the vet hotel over christmas and by some weird miracle, he started eating again and he's now twice the frog he was then.

Reggie is a very handsome frogge and lucky to have such a caring frog-dad. :3:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

:siren: lizard poop question :siren:

Is there an easy/recommended way to clean textured "rock" enclosure items with baked on beardy crap? I went with tile substrate so that's easy to clean but god drat do they love to poo poo anywhere and everywhere and get it really caked on to the nice climbing rocks that are harder to clean.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I should have specified I am a miserable apartment dweller.

Right now my leading idea is a soak in a container I earmark only for that and then a rinse over the commode.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I assume my beardies regard me as a weird warm sometimes loud moving rock that drops them crickets and arugala.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm not like, a lizard scientist, but I would think picking him up directly would be less stressful in the long term than picking up the entire hide, since it might damage his association with it as a "safe place" to see it completely uprooted more than being plucked out of it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I gave the beardies pinky rats for the first time and the male ate them both when the female spat hers out and wouldn't finish. It was kind of gross and upsetting to watch!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I commissioned a watercolor portrait of Nicol Bolas as his namesake, and now he watches ever vigilant over my land station:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/lepperdaw/videos/10158996360994750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My place is a two-bedroom with a huge studio-style kitchen/living room/dining room you could roller skate in. It's not that bad.