Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

My girlfriend and I got a little Axolotl from her work. It’s been a few months, but I wanted to share him with you!

Meet Otachi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yesss, axolotl crew! He looks pretty young and so pale!

He’s still very young, only 4 months old, give or take a week or two. He’s super into swimming around his aquarium and then chilling in the log for an hour. We’ll probably move him into a larger tank in the next month, which I think he’ll like a lot.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Otachi update! We’re starting a cycle for a new bigger tank! Hopefully it cycles by the end of the month. We accidentally put in a gallon of chlorinated water the other day, but after two 30/40% water changes and not screwing up past that, she seems to be doing well. Gonna keep an eye out, but is there anything else that I can do?

Also she’s ravenous. She goes nuts for earthworms and pellets.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 7, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Slugworth posted:

How are you controlling water temp? I really, really want an axolotl, but chillers are expensive, and every other option sounds awful.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Phoenix goon here. AC in the house of course, and in warmer months I have a fan shooting directly on top of the open tank.

This is pretty much how we do it here. In Albuquerque it also gets cold as heck at night, so the water usually is on the cold end in the morning and warms up through the day. I wouldn’t say this works for everyone because I’m not an expert, but I’d maybe get a tank first, fill it up and see the temp after a few days? Then you could go from there.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Any other Axie owners get little skin nubs on their Axie’s belly?

Otachi has been eating well and seems happy, and the water parameters are good, but I still wanted to check.

Also my girlfriend’s work gave us a temporary friend to take care of:

Meet Clyde the Pac-Man Frog! She was hibernating (?) when we got her at first, but she’s pretty active now!

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 14, 2020

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Had a fun day yesterday with Otachi’s tank. Our filter broke, so we bought a new one that seemed ideal for the tank.

But it is creating a massive current, and the plant we bought to spread out that current is only so effective? (It’s hard to tell if the plant or the current or both is stressing her out)

For any Axie owners, what do you use to slow down filter current? Or what kind of filters do you use?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

I use sponge filters.

Axies do not like current. I taper off the sponge filters with leaning driftwood to help disperse.

Yeah, I knew Axies hated current, I was just surprised at how intense the current was.

I’ll get a sponge filter today, that’ll definitely help! Thanks!

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Oof, I feel like an idiot. We’ve been cleaning the bathroom with bleach, and I completely forgot we have two amphibians in the apartment. Are they gonna be okay, you think? We’ve kept it well ventilated, but the smell has still gotten out of the bathroom.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Yeah, we covered up both tanks for today and tomorrow, it’ll probably be completely gone by then. It should be okay, but smelling it in the same room as them definitely made me a little nervous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I haven't given an update on Otachi in a long time!

She's doing great, we want to move her to a bigger aquarium soon, about twice the size.

Someone not here had noted that her gills are forward, but they've been that way nearly her entire life. Is it something to worry about, or is this just how her gills are? She hasn't seemed stressed outside of moving her to clean the tank.

Edit: Her temps and parameters have been really consistent, I just realized that I won't really know if she's super stressed and that's something that sorta worries me.