Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My female hoggie Alice dropped about a dozen eggs yesterday. Since she was still laying, I left her alone. This morning, no eggs, and slightly fatter Alice. Well, I think they were slugs at least.

What is a good price for an albino ball python? I have a male and female from our September hatch that I'd like to move, but no one around here has albinos for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

Geckos are so boss how could you feed them to what are probably dumb and boring snakes?

There's a lady I know in our cat rescue group who maintains feeding raw meat is the best diet for cats and dogs.

Somehow she didn't think it was funny when I said all my snake get raw meat. Mice is meat!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool 80 new posts, must be some cool hatching pics and....and it's gone.

I'll get pics later. Leopard tortoise babies are so ANGRY looking when they hatch out.

Baby balls continue on. I had to move Saul from his small plastic shoebox to an actual tank, and now he's sulking but it should pass.

No more hognose. The female had a dozen eggs, and I left her to finish laying. When I woke in the morning she'd eaten them all and was dead. WTF, hognose Alice.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Silver Nitrate posted:

FWS doesn't want to deal with another Burm invasion, but this has been heavily lobbied for by HSUS who are completely opposed to the keeping of reptiles in captivity

Any animals, not just herps, if I remember right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One of my albino ball babies has hit growth spurt and demands a juvie/hopper mouse every day now. Since she was one who was a slow eater before, why the gently caress not. On the downside I am down four mice this week already just on Jesse. Heisenberg, by comparison, the runt male, debates about eating once a week.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Beardie poo poo smells worse than kitten poo poo. It's almost art, really.

Chalcides ocellatus. A skink I had years ago, a breeding group and sold off. Anyone know if they're common these days? The pet store I got them from closed down.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My Kenyan sand boa had her babies this morning. Was pretty loving sweet to watch. Will have a number tomorrow when I feed her and steal the little goobers out of her tank.

Sadly the bumblebee ball's eggs all went bad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I will post snake baby pics soon. In the meantime the Tucson Reptile Show is coming up soon. Any goons going?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know two of our small balls, Wasp and Bee, are....mojaves? I know when they breed we get a 25% chance of a white ball, but I know there's a few combos that get you that. Either way the male Wasp was always a good eater, but Bee has become a 'feed me every day' peek the head out of her hidebox since I started feeding her IN the cage and not out of it.

On the other hand, there's Nod, my mom sand boa who is recovering after 10 babies, and just spraying her tank yesterday led to her lunging up, Tremors style, trying to attack the water bottle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Silver Nitrate posted:

Here's what we have coming in this month at my local herp society's rescue program, some cool stuff this month:

Eight red-eared sliders, three painted turtles, two good-sized snapping turtles, a map turtle,
two female Russian tortoises, and two red-footed tortoises, a wood turtle (requires DNR permit), four ball pythons, two common boas (need TLC), a corn snake, a western fox snake, a trinket snake, and bamboo rat snake, two toad-head agamas, veiled chameleon, and a blue tongue skink (old and needs TLC).

Remember guys, reptiles live a long time. Purchase and sell responsibly.

How big are the Russians? I ask because, gently caress it's been almost 30 years ago, when they were importing them like mad, we got a single female who is the size of a dinner plate. She's loving massive. Not even the herp guys at the zoo had ever seen one so large.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well, ended up keeping 3 of the 4 albino ball babies that are now a year old. The smallest male I gave to a friend (she does animal shows at birthday parties/kid hospitals and had only a single corn snake. So because I gave her the albino she happily took my other surprise babies, 3 normal/pastels and a spider. Her kids, who have grown up with exotics like hornbills and emus and all kinds of cool animals freaked the gently caress OUT about the snakes and all claimed one for their own.) so we're left with Saul, Tuco, and Pinkman.

My champagne female Jane is still too young to breed. I don't even know what a good combo would be, the adult males are albino or pastel and the breeder I got her from was new to the strain.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Leos are nocturnal so I don't think they even need UVB. A standard heat light should be fine. gently caress, I had my breeding colony for years with a single red heat light that often incubated hidden eggs in their nest box.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Leos are nocturnal so I don't think they even need UVB. A standard heat light should be fine. gently caress, I had my breeding colony for years with a single red heat light that often incubated hidden eggs in their nest box.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Silver Nitrate posted:

What is the least cruel way to dispatch 50 anoles so I can freeze them for feeders?

CO2? They're probably too fast and hard to hold to pith them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ugh. Despite my best tries we ended up with another snake after the Tucson herp show.

Good news, another ball python. A male dragonfly.

Better news, after we dropped down the $120 on him, three other people came over to buy him.

Bad news, I didn't know someone was selling mice there (seriously there was only ONE table that had live ones) and I would have bought 50 had I loving known. Instead my mom told me when we were an hour from the show. gently caress.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Little_Viking posted:

Any KSB keepers here know about the growth rate? I purchased one about 2 years ago that was approximately 7-8", which hasn't grown since then whatsoever. He (since they're sexually dimorphic I assume one so small would be a male) Eats about once every 3-4 weeks (I offer food every two, he generally tends to skip meals), has a healthy weight on him, non aggressive. I ask because literally every adult KSB picture I see online even for males is much larger. I'm totally cool with having a small adult Kenyan, I just want to make sure it's not like, unhealthy small.

My boy is almost a foot and I've had him for almost seven years. I had an albino male who was very eager to make me het babies (but was always a snappy fucker) who was maybe six inches when he was four years old. YMMV.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I had my leos, I had a breeding quad in a 40 breeder. I had a large plastic shoebox filled with moss for them to shed in, and because I was a smart little rear end in the pre-Google days, the heat light went right over it. This often resulted in me finding a fifth or sixth gecko running around the tank. Mom geckos would lay their eggs in the moss, deep in it, I'd never see the eggs, and with the temperature eventually they'd hatch. I kept the red night light on 24/7 which might explain some things.

New ball Dragonfly is doing good. He's down with prekilled mice.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So my mom has a new physical therapist, and he came to the house yesterday. We had warned the agency about the cats but they forgot to tell him about the snakes. Guess who is petrified of snakes? But also wants to overcome that fear. So he held a baby sand boa and two ball pythons for a few minutes yesterday. Totally enthralled by them. He did make the offhand comment that if someone ever tried to rob us, they'd take one look around at all the cages and bail the gently caress out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Fun names?

Our albino male ball is Dracula. Nothing htat insane. His albinoa mate is Luna. Their kids are Saul Goodman, Jesse Pinkman, and Tuco (I sold Heisenberg). The lesser pair is Wasp and Bee. The champagne female is Jane (full name is I Watched Jane Die). And the new dragonfly is named Dragonfly to round out the bug names.

Alien, Topaz, and V are the others (normal, pastel, bumblebee). And our two Kenyan sand boas, Nod and Nemesis. Their nine babies don't have names other than EAT THE loving PINKIE.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I suck because at the Phoenix Herp Show, I picked up a baby pair of western hognose snakes. Oddly enough the male ate the day I brought him home. The female has refused so far. The seller is a local guy and said he fed them frozen where all I have is live. Hm. Think that matters to the snake?

Um. When you say baby, do you mean a real human baby? Because that probably is not the safest thing ever. Even my ball Alien, that I've had for 15 years and is relatively tame, can get surprised by a sudden warm-sensed motion and strike. When it's at an adult hand, probably not a huge deal, but on a baby?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like overcrowding to me, if they are adults.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No offense to your friend, but anyone who values a diet over their pet's needs should not get that pet. A meats-only-eater should not get a rabbit and expect it to be fine eating chunks of chicken and egg.

My mom and I have about 20-30 box turtles that live in our backyard; with it being winter, they have a heated house to sleep in, and every evening I trek around and find the fuckers that sought some sun only to get too cool to get back to their house. And we have a few babies kicking around too. But the thing is, I can't think of a single turtle that can survive healthy on a vegan diet. gently caress, even our leopard tortoises will chow down on any canned cat food we leave out for the turtles from time to time. Hardboiled eggs too.

For a first time turtle owner, I would avoid anything aquatic. For a first time tortoise owner, avoid red-foots, sulcatas (aka spur thighs), and very young hatchlings of any species. Leopard tortoises do great here in AZ, but a Russian might be better for your friend.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Russians are good. Make sure it's captive bred. Nix any attempts at redfoots, yellowfoots, leopards, and gently caress's sake never ever a sulcata/spur thigh.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Our Russian, Oval, is....special. We got her about 20 years ago, when they were importing WC Russians like mad. gently caress, our first pair of leopards were WC. We have all 3 still.

That said southern AZ is not a good place for a Russian. Neither was New Mexico when we first got her, but like I said, it was more like 25 years ago. No real info about them was out there. So we see Oval only in the spring and short fall, and the rest of the time she spends burrowed in our tortoise hut. Unlike every other Russian I have seen, she is the size of a dinner plate. Huge girl.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

I've always been interested in reds, why such a strong no to them?

They get big. Not as big as a sulcata, but our male was over 13 inches when we sold him. They need high humidity and aren't good beginner torts like the OP was looking for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have any advice for shipping younger (and small) snakes from Washington to Arizona? My fiance is moving here, but we are stuck until we can figure out how we will get his ball python and cornsnake here. They're both around a year old, it's very cold in WA, but in AZ it's still around 50-60F during the day, with lower drops at night, even though I don't live terribly far from Phoenix, so I think shipping might be out of the question. Any advice would be helpful, and if shipping is a must, if you could find a helpful guide on how to properly ship during cold weather, it would be much appreciated. I've looked, but I have never done reptile shipping, so I don't know what is good or bad information, and if anything happened to them, it would be just downright heartbreaking.

Hah, i actually live in Phoenix. Some nights it's 30*.

I know there are restrictions on shipping reptiles (you will need a heat pack at least) depending on the carriers but I've never done it myself. The best I can offer is, no matter what carrier you use, to get a Hold At Location. IE if you ship it Fedex, have them hold it at the hub or a close-by Fedex store.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Everyone else says they're okay, but I've never met one that didn't act like a total shithead.

My first pair, the female was insane but the male was chill.

My new baby pair, both of them go balls to the wall crazy whenever they hear the cage open, and both lash around and loving fly out of the tank asap to get the mouse. More than once they are on their drat backs, like playing dead, for a second before they Sonic-speed across the tank, mouth wide open. I have no goddamn idea.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I have had my first every ball, Alien, for 17 years come October. The gently caress does time go.

I used to feed all my pythons out of their enclosures. Then came Luna, our first ever albino ball. and she refused. I tried to feed her in the cage. Refused. She went two months without eating, everything from rats to mice, all colors, all sizes short of pinkies, live, frozen, dipped in chicken broth...and then finally she got the chosen one, a just-killed black mouse, and that was how we've fed her ever since. Alien and some of the other balls are fine being moved before eating. Others, like our mojaves Bee and Wasp, track us through the glass and are poised to strike when they're hungry. And then there's loving V, the bumblebee (and I swear to every god ever I am DONE with spider morphs after her) who got the bad nerve shakes later in life and does a loving curly-q before she strikes at the mouse.

As for five weeks, my albino and champagne females went off feed for about four months until the weather finally stopped going from cold to warm to warmer to freezing overnight. In comparison, Wasp will eat every day if I let him, and Bee recently ended her hunger strike of three months, taking a mouse every few days until recently, where she's taped off to once a week.

Snakes are weird.

But that said if your snake is losing weight, time for the vet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gently caress. My reptile vets my side of town have retired. And my matriarch leopard tortoise Jamoca (we've had here close to 20 years or slightly over) has a runny nose. The weather's been off in AZ for a bit, but it is warming up now and shouldn't have any more cold spells. I just hope I don't need to haul her across town or do injections. It was bad enough doing injections in a drat ball python.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cless Alvein posted:

I think my Spider Ball is broken. Instead of being super shy and hiding all the time, she likes to strike at me. Tagged me like 3 times today while checking to make sure she had a complete shed. She's been feisty like that since I got her in October.

Actually so has the female tokay I got at that same show. My big ole male calmed down after like a month and is patiently waiting for his gf to grow big enough to move in together. Gonna be a while since I've had him close to 3 years now. I can basically poke him in the face all day and nothing will happen. At least twice a week she barks at me when I mist her enclosure. Not to mention all the barking, spitting, false striking and actual strikes when trying to handle her.

We have only one spider morph left, a bumblebee, and after her I am done with the morphs entirely. Our female spider was like that and never calmed down. She especially went after me when I had to remove her moldy eggs...and for the next three years did not stop. She didn't have obvious head wobble but the bumblebee does.

$400 later and one of our adult leopard tortoises' URI has cleared up. $400 and injections every three days. Ever try to inject a tort? It is not easy. Giving a ball python a shot is easier. Giving pills to cats is easier. But the male still has bubbles.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OneTwentySix posted:

Anyone know anything about euthanizing bearded dragons? I was just hired as Educational Programming Director at a local science center, and I'm also in charge of their animals. They have a rescue that looks absolutely horrible - it was just shaking its limbs and laying there with its mouth half open, looks half starved, and it isn't really moving. Severe MBD it looks like. I don't know how they got it, but they definitely didn't make it better - there are a number of problems I have with the enclosures that I'm really going to have to work to fix.

Also, is it ever acceptable for two ball pythons to be kept together? They have a pair that the previous owners kept together, and they've been together a long time without issue, but it set off warnings in my head right away. Both times I saw them, they were coiled up together so they're tolerating each other at the moment, at least.

With balls, it can vary. I know I used to keep a trio (not knowing it was a trio) together for a decade or so, and when I did separate them, they all went off feed. Back together, eating like crazy (they were fed separately, always.). Then we have an albino female who will only tolerate a male for a week or so for breeding before we have to pull him.

As for frozen versus live, sometimes it makes sense to do the former, but if you need a lot of sizes for many snakes, live can be easier. Depends on the snake. My newborn balls want live only, the sand boa babies want live only, so far the only snakes I can get onto prekilled are the hognose and one of the balls. Everyone else refuses prekilled. So my spare bedroom doubles with mouse cages and fish tanks. I'd love to get a rack system one day.

Also because I have live mice, I have some spare room, which is how I ended up with two pairs of Egyptian spiny mice (and now their five babies). No, they are not for feeders!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey anyone else know that sand boas can store sperm? Because my girl Nod decided she didn't want to take a year off breeding and dropped me a dozen babies a week ago. I found them last night. Most have shed, a few in the process. Yay surprise clutch!

.....holy gently caress what am I going to do with more sand boas, I was trying to sell my hognose pair just to downsize!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Babies doing good. The mice can barely keep up, damnit.

One of our foster kittens has discovered if he sits on the hognose tank screen lid, the snakes react loudly. This is a problem. My male is chill, the female is spazz crazy with the feeding response of a garbage disposal.

I've always wanted an albino garter snake but they seem so drat flighty compared to balls and sand boas. My corn snakes (I sold them years ago) were the most flighty I ever dealt with and even those seem chill compared to garters.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it was that surprise litter. My 15 year old Kenyan sand boa, Nod, my favorite one, died yesterday. Her surprise litter from stored sperm is about a month old. Rest well, Nodling. I'm keeping some of your babies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I never understand how my mom can always find some new ball at the Tuscon Reptile Show and want it, when she barely knows what snakes we even have! Had I the time or room I could sneak in a dozen snakes and she'd never know. Ah well, to add to the new name theme of our lessers (Bee and Wasp) and dragonfly (Dragonfly) we have a male lemonblast named Monarch. He's a tiny worm of a thing but maybe he can make some pretty babies with my albino or champagne girls.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Very much a box turtle. A bird could have dropped it in your pool (they do around here, at least until we drained the pool).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I swear when the heaters fail, why do they all go at once? Every loving undertank heater has decided to fall loose over the weekend, so the balls were without heat for two nights. Trying to tape the fuckers back on with foil tape doesn't seem to last long. What does everyone else use?

I loving wish we could go back to using heat lights or ceramic heat emitters but some of my mom's cats just loving loooove sitting on top of snake cages. I spray the poo poo out of them when I see it (and so far only one lid had broken and no one got hurt, thank all the snake gods) but it really would be nice if the loving heat mats stuck for more than six months!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tessdaterrible posted:

Hello! I got a few Axolotls this week and after making sure they settled in well, I would like to name them. I hear you are good with names.
Unsexed juveniles 1 gfp dirty Lucy, 1 gfp Lucy and a melanoid.

Inekn, Blinken, and Nod.

I also offer sand boa names: Hero, Nemesis, and Damsel's Revenge.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gently caress. My male albino ball python, Dracula, died. I have no idea what went wrong, he was off feed but he's always been a picky eater, and wasn't losing weight. Not a sign of disease on him. Just a very dead limp snake. He was maybe 10 years old?

Last year my female Kenyan sand boa had a surprise clutch of babies and died within the month. She was a little over 10, maybe 12 years old, and an adult when I got her.

And then I look over to Alien, my first ever snake, my normal ball male....still kicking it at 18 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Any goons going to the Tucson reptile show? Looking for a female lesser ball myself (since lucys are so loving expensive and I got a nice male lesser already).