Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Which is the better game? I didn't include numbers or expansion packs because I don't know what those are currently. I think I'll have time to learn one or the other, but I'd like to hear what you guys think is the better one and why. I gather they're pretty similar in terms of concept. I'm like 99% certain I'd like them but which one is worth my time?

PS. I don't play much grand strategy games, but for instance, I found that Civ 5's biggest problem was that the games took too long. All the good content was at the end of the game and it's been a few times that I've invested like 10 hours to a game and then I die due to 4 nations ganging up on me just before the good parts start. This isn't the point of this thread, though. Just to show you what kind of gamer I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

EU is a billion times less buggy and more playable at this moment.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Read. The freaking. Stickies. *punches you into the sky until you turn into a star*

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

victoria II

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
EU4 has you playing as an actual country. Most people go for challenging weak starts and try to become a big-rear end death cloud. CK2 has you play as dynasty, so even though you run a country it can be a little weird getting used to. You have to remember you aren't England, you are just the current King. A lot of Games morons love to quit if they lose some lands or w.e and CK2's whole point is that you can be huge and powerful for 20 years and then get cut back to a basic bitch count somewhere.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I haven't really played EU4 much but CK2 has a lot of somewhat goofy and unexpected things that can happen in any given playthrough. It's not a game of chance by any means, you just have to constantly adapt and change your strategies because the game is very dynamic. Don't be afraid of losses or setbacks here or there.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I found CK2 frustrating because you do a lot of waiting around for random events to happen, in Victoria II you can be proactive

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Most paradox games have the issue of having little to do in peacetime. EU4 is the biggest culprit.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Average Bear posted:

Most paradox games have the issue of having little to do in peacetime. EU4 is the biggest culprit.

in victoria there's industrialization and politics to play with, ck2 has the whole character component, but i cant for the life of me get into eu. it just feels like realtime risk to me

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Haven't heard of Victoria 2, how does it compare?

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Read. The freaking. Stickies. *punches you into the sky until you turn into a star*

idk what you're talking about

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
A little outdated, but has a very pretty map and cool pop system. You spend more time conquering browns than Europe.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SnowblindFatal posted:

Haven't heard of Victoria 2, how does it compare?

it's my favorite Paradox game. You get to do the scramble for Africa and fight WWI and crush communist uprisings

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
there's political parties and social reforms, colonization, research is generally more important, you need to manage your industry to manufacture goods and build railways

its cool, op

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Gosh darn all these games sound really fun and cool. Damnit.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW
neither.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Average Bear posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The more dynamic one is possibly CK but EU is probably the better one overall. If it helps you, I learned map games by playing CK1.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
EU is probably a better intro to GSGs, but CK has more personality and flavor. Vic2 is also good but I'd say start with one of those and move up to it because it has a lot more to manage.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

El Wombato posted:

EU is probably a better intro to GSGs,

Their called mapgames you mental midget.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also, Victoria 1 was the 2nd map game I learned. It's not as overwhelming as folks like to pretend.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
vicky 2 still doesnt feel very "complete"

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
im gonna vote for ck2 because you can have a child that is the spawn of satan, appoint witches to rule your lands, raise armies from hell, and watch as your demon child tortures and kills most of your family

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

grate deceiver posted:

there's political parties and social reforms, colonization, research is generally more important, you need to manage your industry to manufacture goods and build railways

its cool, op

all of that is true, but also, the UI is hot garbage

I love it but I really would not recommend it to a new player

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

I don;t want noobs making GBS threads up that thread with gay questions like "Hay gais! Eu 4 or CK2. I'm such a nerd :DDDDDDD

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
i'd say EU IV. Both EU and CK2 are easy entry points to the genre but EU is more traditional and slightly easier thank CK2. In CK2 you could be trucking along great until you have a heretic revolt in your country, adventurers knocking on your door, vikings raiding your rear end, the pope excommunicating you and your wife deciding you really want arsenic in your stew. All at the same time.

vicky2 is good but don't play it if youre new to the series.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

darkest hour

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
imperialism is better than victoria 2 because it's actually a good game and good in the sense of playing to win the game in the herm edwards sense rather than having lame political or character systems

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I do the same thing in all of these games. Make an enormously powerful and crushingly oppressive British empire.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Do both.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

I had no idea these are called map games. A lovely name for strategy games imo. I thought the thread was about map-making for games and I'm past that stuff.

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to check out at least EU 4 and CK 2. Luckily school's not that intense at the moment.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hoodrich posted:

vicky 2 still doesnt feel very "complete"

i think /gsg/ really brings it together. nobody should ever play vanilla vicky 2

OP have you bought Victoria yet??

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Yeah /gsg/ is basically Vic2+ altho I don't think they're developing it anymore.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ck2 is cool but don't buy the raja dlc apparently. thanks. eu4 is too slow and boring. victoria 2 is an impenetrable mess much like my beer gut haha

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SnowblindFatal posted:

I had no idea these are called map games. A lovely name for strategy games imo. I thought the thread was about map-making for games and I'm past that stuff.

Yeah, it looks like I'll have to check out at least EU 4 and CK 2. Luckily school's not that intense at the moment.

it's only what you call strategy games where it's played on like, an actual map. starcraft or age of wonders or something isn't a mapgame.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pookum posted:

im gonna vote for ck2 because you can have a child that is the spawn of satan, appoint witches to rule your lands, raise armies from hell, and watch as your demon child tortures and kills most of your family

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Frog Act posted:

i think /gsg/ really brings it together. nobody should ever play vanilla vicky 2

OP have you bought Victoria yet??

I think I've gotten CK 2 from some bundles so I'm probs gonna play that first.

E: Tomorrow when I'm not so high. I once tried learning Hearts of Iron 3 while blazed and it didn't end well.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I desperately want to be cucked* by satan!!!!!

*Check SAclopedia if you don't get this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

I desperately want to be cucked* by satan!!!!!

*Check SAclopedia if you don't get this one.

Unironically one of the funnier SAclopedia pages.

• Locked thread