Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so this game seems really interesting but i have no idea what I'm doing. I opened a tinctuary and now my guy is making tons of tea but i really don't know where to go from here. help this game is confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
uninstall and play guild 1, that solved it for me

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

im serious here, Guild 2 is poo poo, dont play it

not only the whole idea of manually controlling every stupid thing your character does is completely pointless, you get to juggle three of them at all times.

1 has a nice overhead view of the town - you click on buildings to do stuff, you have a journal where you can click on portraits of important people to also do stuff, regardless of where they are. what was wrong with that. it also has more variety to the things you can do, more offices to hold and generally more fun stuff.

with all expansions 2 kinda sorta measures up in terms of variety (not really), but the time management aspect is still loving annoying. maybe they wanted to make it more like the sims for some reason? idk

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

im serious here, Guild 2 is poo poo, dont play it

not only the whole idea of manually controlling every stupid thing your character does is completely pointless, you get to juggle three of them at all times.

1 has a nice overhead view of the town - you click on buildings to do stuff, you have a journal where you can click on portraits of important people to also do stuff, regardless of where they are. what was wrong with that. it also has more variety to the things you can do, more offices to hold and generally more fun stuff.

with all expansions 2 kinda sorta measures up in terms of variety (not really), but the time management aspect is still loving annoying. maybe they wanted to make it more like the sims for some reason? idk

hm, maybe i'll check that out instead. the guild 2 has pretty good reviews so i grabbed it for $2. in the meantime is there anything at all that redeems the guild 2 or should i give up now

ed: like what am I supposed to do in general exactly. just make potions until I die doing the medieval equivalent of a dead end office job? have kids and run for office or something? why does this woman get angry when i give her painkillers and a purse

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 18, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I tried to get into 2 several times because 1 is one of my favorite games ever, and I always give up halfway through my first characters lifespan. 2 has nicer graphics and overall more polished look, but thats pretty much it. The only gameply thing that it does better is combat encounters imo. combat in 1 is kinda janky, but then again, unless you're playing as a robber baron or watchman, you'll hardly ever see any.

other than that, 1 has more/better everything. get the gold edition that includes the expansion

as for how to play it, at the start you probably just want to sell your basic goods until you can afford to expand your starting business. goods are bought and sold at the market, you need to send a cart. once you start making some money, go for a public office as soon as possible. on election day, you can increase you chances by using relation booosting items on the voters. some items can also make then like your opponents less. figure out how to best use items produced in your business to your advantage. spy on people to get evidence that you can use for blackmail or prosecution. also, you can usually perform some special actions inside your own business.

as I said, in 2 your available options are mostly obscured by the fact that you have to actually move your character to the desired location

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 18, 2015

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
does any imp know how to make it so in guild II multiplayer everyone is on a different team? i want to attack other players but it wont let us and i cant find a menu option for it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I tried to get into 2 several times because 1 is one of my favorite games ever, and I always give up halfway through my first characters lifespan. 2 has nicer graphics and overall more polished look, but thats pretty much it. The only gameply thing that it does better is combat encounters imo. combat in 1 is kinda janky, but then again, unless you're playing as a robber baron or watchman, you'll hardly ever see any.

other than that, 1 has more/better everything. get the gold edition that includes the expansion

as for how to play it, at the start you probably just want to sell your basic goods until you can afford to expand your starting business. goods are bought and sold at the market, you need to send a cart. once you start making some money, go for a public office as soon as possible. on election day, you can increase you chances by using relation booosting items on the voters. some items can also make then like your opponents less. figure out how to best use items produced in your business to your advantage. spy on people to get evidence that you can use for blackmail or prosecution. also, you can usually perform some special actions inside your own business.

as I said, in 2 your available options are mostly obscured by the fact that you have to actually move your character to the desired location

is it dumb to sell stuff out of your shop instead of at the market?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

you mean like when people come directly to your shop? At the market you can sell in bulk and get money immediately, so that's a huge advantage. obv don't sell when there's a drop in prices, wait until it increases above average

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

you mean like when people come directly to your shop? At the market you can sell in bulk and get money immediately, so that's a huge advantage. obv don't sell when there's a drop in prices, wait until it increases above average

yeah thats what i've been donig. i guess this is one of those games where you muddle around for ages until it finally clicks and becomes fun, or maybe its just awful, i dont know yet

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

if you want some more intersting mechanics, you might want to try some of the non-standard jobs, like priest, thief or moneylender. one of the expansions to 2 has pirates I think?

In 1 a thief can kidnap people which is useful in all sorts of situations, gravekeepers can forge evidence allowing you to pretty much throw people in jail whenever you want. priests gather evidence in confession and can also sell indulgences. moneylenders play a bit different too, but I dont remember if you can start as one. the real fun starts once you get into an office and figure out how to exploit laws to your advantage and gently caress other people over.

the 'normal' crafting jobs are generally more straightforward and centered around selling stuff and making money, at least at the start, but each of them should have some special ability you can exploit.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

if you want some more intersting mechanics, you might want to try some of the non-standard jobs, like priest, thief or moneylender. one of the expansions to 2 has pirates I think?

In 1 a thief can kidnap people which is useful in all sorts of situations, gravekeepers can forge evidence allowing you to pretty much throw people in jail whenever you want. priests gather evidence in confession and can also sell indulgences. moneylenders play a bit different too, but I dont remember if you can start as one. the real fun starts once you get into an office and figure out how to exploit laws to your advantage and gently caress other people over.

the 'normal' crafting jobs are generally more straightforward and centered around selling stuff and making money, at least at the start, but each of them should have some special ability you can exploit.

thanks man maybe i'll try a priest. this seires sounds really cool but I'm having a tough time getting into

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

dont sweat it, if you get tired of it, refer to my first post

im actually reinstalling it now, all this talk got me wanting to play it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

• Locked thread