Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Cythereal posted:

Eh, it was just an idle flight of fancy while I was kinda bored anyway. On my attempt, that is.

The one I was with ended up rewriting every text blurb in the tech tree, slightly reorganising the tech tree, introducing seven new factions, tinkering with the effects of the 'default' Social Engineering (making early colonies struggle more on Chiron), and... I no longer recall all the details. It was ambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
RSP Econ 4 Labs 4 Psych 2

One priority I think people might have missed is to infiltrate Miriam's datalinks. We still have a probe foil floating around, yes? The only other thing we can do with it is find Yang, and that seems to be a lower priority right now.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Added Space posted:

RSP Econ 4 Labs 4 Psych 2

One priority I think people might have missed is to infiltrate Miriam's datalinks. We still have a probe foil floating around, yes? The only other thing we can do with it is find Yang, and that seems to be a lower priority right now.

Our last probe foil got expended infiltrating the UNCC. We need to build another one before we go doing more infiltration.

E: Also, we have three colonies that we need to infiltrate still, although the Spartan Federation is a lower priority, since they'll still feed us intel as long as the alliance holds. I still eventually want to infiltrate the Spartan Federation, the Planetary University Free State, and the Alliance, when it becomes practical.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 22, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So I've been reading the updates but not really following the RPing stuff in between. When exactly are we going to smash the flower pot lady to our south?

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013

Zip! posted:

So I've been reading the updates but not really following the RPing stuff in between. When exactly are we going to smash the flower pot lady to our south?

Vote for the Pholus Exceptionalism Party and you'll see that happen in the next update.

PEP platform:

-Take Lily of the Valley and Autumn Grove.
-Bring the Federation into the war.
-Attempt to secure peace with Miriam.
-If Dominion refuses a peace in our favor, continue assaulting by opening a second front from Bushnell.
-Power values for the remainder of the war.
-Focus on war production in all settlements.

Yarville fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 22, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To: FredMSloniker <ceo@dreamlandgames.com>
Subject: New Games Proposal

I've been reviewing our edutainment wing's output for a long time now, and I'm finding it a little difficult at times to get across some of the historical simulation content while keeping to the company's general motto about avoiding any sort of realistic depictions of violence. My supervisor suggested I write you and ask your advice on the matter; how are we to get across some of the history of old earth without glorifying the old battles and brutality, and without whitewashing matters?

Respectfully yours,
Tomoe Hendrikson, Scenario Writer, Dreamland Games.

OOC: Also, the RSP has specifically promised to conquer Gaia, the NPCP has said they intend to crush Gaia's ability to make war, basically all the parties want Gaia dead by now (with good reason).

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 22, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

OOC: Also, the RSP has specifically promised to conquer Gaia, the NPCP has said they intend to crush Gaia's ability to make war, basically all the parties want Gaia dead by now (with good reason).

When you capture their capital and score other massive victories and the AI still insists on completely stupid peace settlements the natural response is the WW2 one: unconditional capitulation or salted ground, your choice.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, yes. I was clarifying for the guy who asked when we're gonna stomp them. I don't see anything wrong with trying to conquer an enemy who absolutely refuses to give up by any sane metric.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'll vote RSP this time, and if STV is allowed, then PEP as second choice. This war with the Gaians has gone on too long. It is time to end it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Night10194 posted:

To: FredMSloniker <ceo@dreamlandsgames.com>

My project manager suggested that I kick this upstairs to you, Mr. Sloniker, as he already refused it funding. The Virtual World (Project Bushnell) has been one of the most successful entertainment industry advances in history, but I think I can see a way for us to expand into new areas without violating the company's core ethos. Have you ever given thought to starting up an 'edutainment' wing?

Dreamland Games already has an edutainment wing, as I previously mentioned. The games are sold under the 'Live and Learn' brand. Also, it's Dreamland Games, not Dreamlands Games. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm sorry, I must've misread. My arthritis medication gives me nasty headaches sometimes and I have a pretty bad one today. Should I just delete the post and try again?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I will close voting at 7 Pacific time tonight.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I'm sorry, I must've misread. My arthritis medication gives me nasty headaches sometimes and I have a pretty bad one today. Should I just delete the post and try again?

Feel free!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Night10194 posted:

This is probably incredibly rude to ask but curiosity demands it... you have arthritis? that must suck. When did you get it if you don't mind me asking too much?
If you want me to delete this post for being too rude/personal just ask.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stephen9001 posted:

This is probably incredibly rude to ask but curiosity demands it... you have arthritis? that must suck. When did you get it if you don't mind me asking too much?
If you want me to delete this post for being too rude/personal just ask.

I got it at 25 by being extremely unlucky. With the medication it's pretty much fine, I just have to take an injection every two weeks and suffer a day or two of headaches. Also, post edited, should fit better.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I got it at 25 by being extremely unlucky. With the medication it's pretty much fine, I just have to take an injection every two weeks and suffer a day or two of headaches. Also, post edited, should fit better.

Yeash, that sounds bad, my condolences. My rampant curiosity wants to know what it was like when you found out, my sense of politeness says I definitely shouldn't ask that. Just tell me if you are willing to indulge my curiosity (and thus likely be asked more questions along with apologising for them) or if you want me to be polite and pry no further.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good morning, Maria! Welcome to AllThing NewsNet! The following items have been flagged for your interest!

East Hab takes Tlaloc Cup in 2-1 nail-biter against Science Division![More]
The final match of the Tlaloc Cup pitted offense against defense as Xochimilco's top clubs went head to head. Things looked good for Science Division early on with their signature offensive rush, but crumpled in the second half against a revived East Hab defense...[More]
Final league standings:

1. East Hab Sealurks
2. Science Division Razor Sharks
3. Shallowside Piranhas
4. Surface Anglers
5. Trenchcliff Black Smokers
6. Engineering Division Chironsorms
7. North Dome Riptide
8. Corporate Division Aquamen[More](Flagged for later review)

Bushnell Center club issues challenge to East Hab, first inter-city game scheduled in two weeks![More]
The games between the East Hab Sealurks and Dreamland Pop Stars will take place in Bushnell Center, followed by a second series in Xochimilco...[More]
When asked about the potential for an official North Pholus football league, CEO Morgan reportedly lamented that it was football enjoying a resurgence in North Pholus rather than rugby...[More]

Xochimilco man ignored by Derby Donuts employee during armed robbery attempt, admits "I'm not very good at this"...[More]

Seismic disturbance rocks Trenchcliff community, Tlaloc Initiative insists there is nothing to worry about...[More]

Possible quarantine breach? Carnivorous guinea pig sightings reported in Morgan Industries...[More]

Riot erupts at Parent-Teacher Association conference over voting for mascots of school under construction, four injured...[More]

Kelpwine overtakes grape wine in yearly sales for the first time, detractors claim high-pressure nervous syndrome on part of Xochimilco consumers...[More]

Data breach in Tlaloc Initiative inventory records, "Data Angels" group claims responsibility on North Pholus datalinks...[More]

Thank you for using AllThing NewsNet! Have a pleasant day, Maria!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xochimilco Man is the hero North Pholus needs, not necessarily the one it deserves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Xochimilco Man is the hero North Pholus needs, not necessarily the one it deserves.

For those curious about where I'm getting these from. I live in Florida, myself.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeash, that sounds bad, my condolences. My rampant curiosity wants to know what it was like when you found out, my sense of politeness says I definitely shouldn't ask that. Just tell me if you are willing to indulge my curiosity (and thus likely be asked more questions along with apologising for them) or if you want me to be polite and pry no further.

Maybe, if he's willing, you could take this to PMs? It's not relevant to the thread, after all.

Night10194 posted:

I've been reviewing our edutainment wing's output for a long time now, and I'm finding it a little difficult at times to get across some of the historical simulation content while keeping to the company's general motto about avoiding any sort of realistic depictions of violence. My supervisor suggested I write you and ask your advice on the matter; how are we to get across some of the history of old earth without glorifying the old battles and brutality, and without whitewashing matters?

Respectfully yours,
Tomoe Hendrikson, Scenario Writer, Dreamland Games.

Subject: Re: New Games Proposal
To: Tomoe Hendrikson <THendrikson@dreamlandgames.com>

The concept you're looking for is abstraction. You don't show a bullet entering someone's head and coming out the other side in a shower of gore. At most you show one person shooting another person and the other person falling down. At an extreme, you show red boxes and blue boxes bumping into each other, and one of the boxes gets smaller or vanishes entirely. By avoiding the viscera, you minimize the visceral reaction.

That said, you get a bit more leeway in your department. I don't want to turn history into some sort of cartoon, after all. It's important that people understand where we've come from to know where we're going.

Sincerely,
Fred Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games
'We bring your dreams to life!'

Cythereal posted:

Bushnell Center club issues challenge to East Hab, first inter-city game scheduled in two weeks![More]
The games between the East Hab Sealurks and Dreamland Pop Stars will take place in Bushnell Center, followed by a second series in Xochimilco...[More]

I love you. :v:

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Just finished reading through this thread, got to think of a character to play but in the meantime going to cast a vote for NPCP

I have this game from GoG but never really got into playing it, this LP has definitely motivated me to give it a whirl.

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

"Hello, friends and supporters. We had a great race, but it looks like we're reaching the final hours and- [smatterings of boos] Now, now, it's true. We just couldn't scrounge up the necessary support this time around, and, sadly, it looks like another one of the mainstream parties is going to win. While I have no love for Mr. Foster or the RSP-[more boos] I know, I know, it hurts me to say it too. While I have no love for Mr. Foster or the RSP, I must ask all of you to choose the lesser of two evils and do what is right for the Republic. The RSP will, at least, aggressively pursue the war with the Dominion to its inevitable conclusion, and I can only assume that Mr. Foster will do whatever it takes to succeed. I concede to Mr. Foster and ask that you recognize him as representative of all right leaners. Rest assured that, if we are still at war with the Dominion, I will be back next cycle ready to give a voice to the concerned citizens of North Pholus. Thank you, and as always, PHOLUS PRIDE!"

-Avery Worthington

I change my vote to the RSP and recommend that Cavalier direct his people to do the same.

Yarville fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 23, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Voting is now closed. With 5 votes for the NPCP, 6 votes for the RSP, 1 vote for the PEP, and 1 vote for the PfP, the RSP takes the Colony Executive position for Cal Foster. I didn't bother with a specific count between votes for the Citizens' Defense Force and the Planetary Transit Network- the Citizens' Defense Force very clearly has the lead. With nine persons voting on research priorities, 8 votes were received for Explore, 10 for Discover, 6 for Build, and 12 for Conquer. Our research priorities shall be Discover and Conquer. With ten persons voting on energy allocation, 38 votes were received for Economy, 41 for Labs, and 21 for Psych. Our energy allocation shall remain 40% Economy, 40% Labs, 20% Psych. I will begin playing through the update now.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
A Handwritten letter to Cal Foster

To Cal Foster

Congratulations on your victory in the election race, it is great to see the right mindset triumph in the republic.

I apologize for my support for PEP during the current elections, the people of Ares Armaments was looking to the man behind the power that had led RSP to becoming Colony Executive as a leader. With the recent attacks on Torston's Landing and seeing so many Ares employees dead from the probe sabotage operations, they had intended to seek out a leader who is capable of destroying the Gaians for the actions committed at Torston. I knew the Sentinel had accused me of supporting a war profiteering industry, but the intentions was to uphold Morganite Values of a Free Market, who else on planets believes the honesty and transparency of a Free Market? We would gladly allow the press to film us in the frontlines of war even if it was to support their media empire.

We are Morganites now, I knew you upheld the values of Morgan industries and the pursue for financial greatness will not be an easy one. I plan to use my vote to override support for the PEP and return to the RSP

You bore the burdens in stride and it was time we drat well bear our burden in stride with you. Along with approving for the Ares Chevaliers PMC which will consist of the Ares Artemis Missile Rover Division and mechanized Infantry, I will be overseeing the offensive against Gaians personally. They say politicians and CEO don't know how to fight, well I am drat well ready to fight.

See you in battle Cal.

Official News from Ares Holo: Stay Aware, Stay Alive

In an unexpected turn of events, The UNCC have declared they will terminate the contract for policing equipment with Ares Araments, production will be shifted to internal as well as exporting to the Free State due to the growing drone problems from inethical experiments

Nathaniel Steele has declared he is estalishing plans to become chief commander of the Citzen's Defense force quoting "The CEO have decided to join RSP even after we hardworking citizens have voted for a much stronger leader. I will lead the citizen's defense force to show Ares' true face as former Spartans!", this comes after the announcement Ares CEO Cavalier declared he will be joining the forces at the Gaian front as part of the war effort. Interim CEO Zhane Dunkel will assume leadership of civilian affairs as Cavalier personally oversees the war effort with his men...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Deleted. I said I'd stop with Valdez and politics, and I need to remind myself to actually stop.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 23, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Loss Prevention Security Services Shareholder Report

We have completed our re-calculation for our rejuvenation and deployment cycles. All algorithms have been independently calculated and cross-certified by the Free State and Lovelace. They are on file and available for review by all shareholders. Along with this report you will also receive your queue numbers. Undoubtedly many of you have noted that several individuals have been deemed lower-priority and are not expected to survive. This is not an accident, nor is it disputable by any method expect identifying an error in the algorithm.

We will be frank - this is a dangerous business, and many people are expected to die in the course of the business. We cannot prevent this. We could save more people, but our calculations show that it is not beneficial to the co-operative to do so. Previously armies allowed more then needed to die to preserve the illusion that no-one needed to die. Here on a foreign planet with the wolves at our door once again, we no longer have the luxury of such illusions. Nor can we deny that we must build upon the corpses of those who have fallen. Some of us will build our new lives, and others will provide the mortar with their bones.

Please remember that this cooperative remains your best chance at rejuvenation for the next century, and that we are the only corporation who offers rejuvenation to all shareholders at even a slow schedule. Standard early termination clauses of your lifetime contracts still apply with all due legal force.

If you require psychological adjustment to accept the probable demise of yourself or a co-worker, please visit one of our psych chaplains for a neurological adjustment schedule. We have already enclosed the forms to high-probability individuals.

--- Loss Prevention Co-Operative Committee

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hal Kimberley's Personal Field Log, Entry 55

Just got word that our wireless specialist is now making her slow way through the security accreditation process. Can't wait to get some fresh blood into this project.

Meanwhile, we've decided to name the razorbeaks who have been "assigned" to watch us humans as we walk around the enclosure. I've named the one who always follows me "Peach" after her fur coloration.

[...]

drat that Valdez. I've been preoccupied with "social implications" ever since she contacted me about Project Wolfdog. Not that they're hard to work out. I can see the headlines clearly in my head: "Secret PMC Lab Breeding Mind Worms! Top Morgan Industries Researcher Involved! Fear For Your Children's Lives And Sanity!" I'll be lucky if they get me to prison before an angry mob lynches me and leaves my corpse in the fungus for mind worms to devour.

And the damnedest thing is...I don't
care if we actually breed mind worms for combat! Honestly, I'd prefer if we didn't! I can hardly imagine just walking down the streets of Morgan Industries, tipping my hat to my neighbor as he takes his pack of ravenous mind fuckers out for a walk. I'd have run this project on a flock of razorbeaks, but there's no way I could have gotten the funding I'd need just to tame aviods that have to eat their weight in xenofungus each day to survive. Besides, I have to admit there is some allure to taming the bugbears that have hounded humanity since Planetfall.

Still, as far as I'm concerned, Project Wolfdog is nothing more than a stepping stone to my larger goal. After all, a hound is nothing compared to the one holding the leash. Now there's a bugbear I'd love to have a chat with.

End log.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tlaloc Initiative CorpNet posted:

@MrGiggles: I assume you've read the report?
@ChickenItza: Read it, still working on believing it. This is beyond my most optimistic expectations.
@MrGiggles: To be fair, it's not like people didn't already know we were playing with the fungus.
@ChickenItza: True. Being called a traitor is hardly a new accusation for me.
@MrGiggles: You still think it was wise not to reveal that Morgan Industries is up to something similar?
@ChickenItza: I think it was wise not to antagonize Kimberley more than was necessary. He's one of the most dangerous men in North Pholus.
@MrGiggles: I thought you liked him.
@ChickenItza: You are talking to the woman AllThing is calling "Princess Kelpfruit of the Mushroom Kingdom."
@MrGiggles: I'm glad we have these little talks, Valdez.
@ChickenItza: One molotov cocktail thrown at the hot lab and some protesters. Nothing to get worked up over.
@MrGiggles: PR wants me to fire you.
@ChickenItza: Like we've been popular with anyone but Gaian sympathizers from the moment I had that very public row with Morgan.
@MrGiggles: You're really confident in your job security, aren't you.
@ChickenItza: We don't have as many secrets to hide as someone I could mention. He's after something much bigger than just worms or fungus.
@MrGiggles: So are you.
@ChickenItza: He's looking to the fungus and worms to solve the riddle of Planet. I think he's looking for the lock, but I'm interested in the key.
@MrGiggles: Could you please try not to sound like a supervillain at the press conference tomorrow? I know it will be difficult, but the whole idea is to present our research as transparent and beneficial. We don't need you talking about Project Mictlan like a cat sizing up the canary in the cage.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Subject: Invitation to Speak at the Homo Machinae conference

Dear Mr. Sloniker:

Planetfall College is holding a applied philosophy symposium on the confluence of mind and machine in light of recent advances in neuroscience and computer science, and its implications for both Artificial Intelligence and new frontiers in sociology and psychology. Over the history of the field, entertainment and operating systems programmers have been the developers who operate the closest to the machine itself, and know the most about what computer architectures mean from a practical standpoint. For over a century Dreamland Games has been a pioneer in both fields, between their game software and the Virtual World system that powers it.

We cordially invite you or any employees you might wish to speak on these subjects to give a presentation at our symposium later this year. We aren't asking for trade secrets - the expected audience would be "well-read light technical" and would include both CS students and humanists.

Thank you for considering our offer.

H. Davidson

PS: The last time I actually touched a machine at that level it was literally an ARM-architecure machine. Yeah, from 1985. We were still using versions of them on the Unity's colony infrastructure in 2060. Even if you guys can't make it I'd love to get a couple pointers on where in the Datalinks to go for the kind of development training we don't give in the ivory tower.

Harvey Davidson, personal log

Earthborn. One of the original computer experts. Redundant after the Unity's software infrastructure was fully online, went and became a sociologist since the aftermath of the colonization made it a full-fledged science. End up as one of the nation's most renowned pure philosophers. I have to be careful what I write at this point, which means that at points of political crisis, by the time it's safe to say something, it's already too late.

Now that the results have come back from the neurological data we stole from the Gaians to see what made their society tick, we also see that the fundamental basis of our thought is, as we had suspected, mostly computational in nature.

Mostly but not entirely. We can see a path forward to how we could replicate our thought as programs, but there's no mechanism for complex volition or any of the phenomena we've been loosely calling "psionics" for lack of a better name. But the seat of consciousness and identity is here, and we could, in principle, synthesize it.

What the Hell are we
doing? We can fail in two ways; either by essentially turning our entire information infrastructure into the moral equivalent of a kitten-mulching engine, or by degrading human dignity to the point where we are just another unusually well-tuned machine for a variety of tasks, of no greater import than the vehicles we drive.

Heh. I can't answer that without knowing something more about the systems we're using now, and I haven't seriously worked at that level in lifetimes. Hmmm. Time to talk to the other professors. This just got
cross-disciplinary,

(OOC: Holy poo poo the ARM architecture line goes back to 1985 :stare:)

(Also OOC: Apparently not even Yang or Zakharov can plow on with Pre-Sentient Algorithms without getting Cyberethics first. Funny, that.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Subject: Re: Invitation to Speak at the Homo Machinae conference
To: Harvey Davidson <hdavidson@planetfall.edu>

It's quite an honor to be asked to speak in an educational context! I'd be happy to attend and bring along a few of the senior developers. If you could fill me in on time and space constraints, we can bring along a demo kit too, so we can give the kids something a little more exciting than speeches and squeeze toys. Show off some of the 'learning software' we use for AI opponents.

Sincerely,
Fred M. Sloniker
CEO, Dreamland Games
'We bring your dreams to life!'

Imagine a fighting game where, at the highest level, the computer can kick the crap out of you not because it cheats or because its characters are cheap, but because it's analyzed millions of man-hours' worth of play...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

FredMSloniker posted:

Imagine a fighting game where, at the highest level, the computer can kick the crap out of you not because it cheats or because its characters are cheap, but because it's analyzed millions of man-hours' worth of play...

That wouldn't be any different actively from current 'Perfect Play AI'. And fan AIs tend to pull this with characters. You often can't 'trick' them, you can't 'get in' in any way(Because they detect/'see' it and block or parry), and their counters and combos are perfect. The result is utter frustration.

Perfection is long, but it's easy. Making it make mistakes that aren't 'obvious' or linked to a certain move or style is hard.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bloodly posted:

That wouldn't be any different actively from current 'Perfect Play AI'. And fan AIs tend to pull this with characters. You can't 'trick' them, you can't 'get in' in any way(Because they detect it and block or parry), and their counters and combos are perfect. The result is utter frustration.

Perfection is long, but it's easy. Making it make mistakes that aren't 'obvious' is hard.

Well, I was thinking more that the AI would be deliberately handicapped, but not in a 'occasionally makes stupid mistakes' way; instead, reflexes would be simulated by it having to evaluate a scenario slightly before the actual state of the game. And I imagine that, if the fighting game has a metagame (and they tend to), it'd be possible to 'fake out' the AI.

At any rate, I was mainly saying no crap like 'can use charge moves without charging' or 'reads the player's input before deciding what to do' or 'has moves that deplete half your health bar'.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Subject: Re: Invitation to Speak at the Homo Machinae conference
To: Fred Sloniker <ceo@dreamlandgames.com>

We're going to be assembling about a dozen speakers from around Chiron, and we're looking at a half-hour talk for each with 15-minutes of Q&A with the audience afterwards. I've been asked mainly to spin philosophy-class horror stories based on transhumanism gone horribly wrong. We've got a tentative acceptance of a woman from the Free State who's going to discuss the neurological basis for subjective perception of colors. There's a general call for papers, so we'll see if other groups want to talk on the subject. The conference as a whole is about the blurring of social lines between human and computational construct, in both directions.

If I may "drop character" for a moment, and once again be the bright-eyed 60-year-old from Lovelace Software: there's just enough programmer left in me after 200 years to want to bring in some industry luminaries to keep the affair from disappearing up its own self-referential rear end. I expect I'll be asked to draft the more formal mission statement for the thing as the schedule firms up, and it will probably be a lot more polite about that, observing a lack of cross-pollination between social psychology, software development, and neural bases of consciousness or similar, but my expectation is that this cross-pollination is going to look more like a series of reality checks about what the state of the art really is in our various fields.

Kind of heavy stuff, but that's also part of the reason I pinged you. In terms of raw person-hours of interaction time, entertainment software outstrips all other forms of human-computer interaction, and philosophers talking about the nature of thought and what it means for computation could use a reminder of that. That said, the general tone will be a bit, er, stately overall, at least for the talks. There will be an open forum area outside the conference proper where people can ask more general questions, so I suspect demos of learning algorithms would be fantastic there.

The squeezy toys would probably work better for a more jobfair-like atmosphere, which this conference won't be. Our tireless student societies are always eager for an excuse to throw a small party for the sake of getting their resumes in the hands of prestigious companies, though. Most of them have industrial relations officers; check with your HR guys to see if they've already got pre-established relationships, but if not I think <cskn-indrel@planetfall.edu> is the generic address.

I look forward to seeing you there!

H. Davidson

(EDITED to make planetfall emails non-real)

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 23, 2015

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Subject: Homo Machinae
To: Harvey Davidson <hdavidson@planetfall.edu>

Professor Davidson,

I have seen the news of your upcoming conference, and wished to let you know that I have purchased tickets to attend. Machine intelligence still has a great distance to go, but as it has become clear that copying human thought may be a possibility, I have worked up provisional plans of action based on various scenarios for how to adapt Morgan Industries to true machine intelligence. If human behavior is economic behavior, and machines grow to be matches for humanity, it would be remiss of me not to consider the potential of intelligent machines both as labor and as customers. Perhaps reviewing what lead researchers have come to know will allow me to more intelligently plan for the future.

Nwabudike Morgan, CEO Morgan Industries

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 26, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

gyrobot posted:

A Handwritten letter to Cal Foster

To Cal Foster

Congratulations on your victory in the election race, it is great to see the right mindset triumph in the republic.

I apologize for my support for PEP during the current elections, the people of Ares Armaments was looking to the man behind the power that had led RSP to becoming Colony Executive as a leader. With the recent attacks on Torston's Landing and seeing so many Ares employees dead from the probe sabotage operations, they had intended to seek out a leader who is capable of destroying the Gaians for the actions committed at Torston. I knew the Sentinel had accused me of supporting a war profiteering industry, but the intentions was to uphold Morganite Values of a Free Market, who else on planets believes the honesty and transparency of a Free Market? We would gladly allow the press to film us in the frontlines of war even if it was to support their media empire.

We are Morganites now, I knew you upheld the values of Morgan industries and the pursue for financial greatness will not be an easy one. I plan to use my vote to override support for the PEP and return to the RSP

You bore the burdens in stride and it was time we drat well bear our burden in stride with you. Along with approving for the Ares Chevaliers PMC which will consist of the Ares Artemis Missile Rover Division and mechanized Infantry, I will be overseeing the offensive against Gaians personally. They say politicians and CEO don't know how to fight, well I am drat well ready to fight.

See you in battle Cal.

Mr. Cavalier,
There's no need to apologize for who you support. I don't take such things personally. Still, I'm glad to hear you've come around to the RSP. We'll need it if we are to finally finish this war. I'm afraid that you won't find me on the frontlines though, not unless rejuvenation makes some major strides soon. I greatly respect your decision to go yourself, however. Good hunting.

--Cal Foster

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good morning, Maria! Welcome to AllThing NewsNet! The following items have been flagged for your interest!

Tlaloc Initiative reveals long-standing secret program studying fungus, worms, psionic phenomena. Other shocking revelations: sky is blue, water is wet...[More]

Lady Deirdre's lover: explosive tell-all book by ex-Gaian alleges sordid history between Gaian cult leader and Tlaloc's mad scientist in chief...[More](flagged for later review)

Xochimilco man vandalizes "psychic" girlfriend's apartment after she tells him dead grandmother will return to rape him in his sleep...[More]

Thank you for using AllThing NewsNet! Have a pleasant day, Maria!

Tlaloc Initiative Intranet posted:

@MrGiggles: So, are the allegations true?
@ChickenItza: Of course not.
@MrGiggles: You were a member of her department on the Unity.
@ChickenItza: Permission to speak freely?
@MrGiggles: Go ahead.
@ChickenItza: I know better than to stick my hand in crazy.
@MrGiggles: Pity your wife never learned the same lesson.
@ChickenItza: I love you too, sir.
@MrGiggles: Good news is, polls are in and no one's all that surprised by Project Cipatli.
@ChickenItza: Anything else?
@MrGiggles: I'll be resigning within the next couple of years. My wife has declined rejuvenation therapy, and I've decided I will do the same.
@ChickenItza: I understand, Jean. It's been a good run.
@MrGiggles: That it has been. Bonne chance, Maria.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 23, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

[Corporate Communications Transcript, Dreamland, Scenario Writer Tomoe Hendrikson]

I'm telling you, marketing has run the numbers. Xochimilco Man is one of the most popular meme-to-fictional-character transitions we've seen in years. There's definitely a market out there for a comedy series centered on the adventures of hapless, bumbling men getting up to antics under the ocean.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Yeah, I have to admit I've kind of died off due to a mixture of busyness and the sheer pace of this thread. I mean, jeez. It felt like I was barely keeping up as it was. Anyway, I vote for 40% Economy, 40% Labs, 20% Psych.

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
"I congratulate Mr. Foster on his second Colony Executive win and I sincerely hope that we will see huge gains both at home and in the war against the Dominion. While we've had our disagreements, I would rather Cal Foster lead this nation with aggressiveness (if an aggressiveness that has had absolutely no serious thought, planning, or organizing behind it, mind you) rather than see another NPCP executive force the military to operate with one hand behind their backs. I must remind Mr. Foster, however, and caution him- it was my constituents votes, submitted on my recommendation that allowed him to win this by the narrowest of margins. To forget us, and our needs, would be a mistake he can't afford to make."

-Avery Worthington

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The Breaking of Gaian Might

In 2240, Cal Foster of the Republic Security Party was once again elected as Colony Executive after twenty years out of office. He immediately resumed aggressive operations against New Gaia, Republic rovers crushing the defenses of Autumn Grove and seizing the settlement almost immediately. With the front lines shifted, Rat Patrol was assigned to serve security duty in Autumn Grove until local security forces could be mustered.

Normally, artillery only causes limited damage with no risk of reprisal, but when artillery fires on other artillery, an 'artillery duel' ensues, in which both fight to the death as in normal combat. Artillery in an artillery duel defends with its weapon strength, rather than its armor strength.

With Autumn Grove fallen, diplomats from New Gaia came to issue ultimatums against the Republic, listing their conditions for a truce. Their demands were rejected out of hand as an unreasonable imposition.

A year later, in 2242, negotiations with Commissioner Lal on behalf of the UNCC resulted in the UNCC's Peacekeeping Forces disclosing proprietary military data to Pholan firms in exchange for assistance to UNCC education, after which the Republic brokered another peace between the UNCC and the Planetary University Free State.

The various computer applications provided by the Peacekeeping Forces provided valuable tools for target resolution, interpretation of sensor data, optimisation of large-scale military logistics networks, and calculation of fields of fire for defensive positions. Researchers in machine intelligence found the sensor interpretation routines of particular interest, as any further development into true machine intelligence would require the ability to effectively collect sensory information to operate on.

We shall not be using Punishment Spheres during the course of this game. They are an effective means of drone control, but badly cripple research and are contrary to our values as a society.

In 2243, Prometheus was finally founded by Titan Geothermal and the other firms and settlers who had set forth to back the new settlement. This settlement was ideally situated to take advantage of the geothermal power provided by a long stretch of the Great Pholus Ridge, and had abundant rainfall and fertile ground to support its agricultural needs.

A year later, the two Unity cargo pods still adrift in the Freshwater Sea were finally collected, triggering further kelp blooms as agricultural supplies were scattered in the sea and recovering a rich supply of tools, building materials, and fuel for the colony.

By 2246, both Bushnell Center and Xochimilco had begun to take greater advantage of industrial automation tools to increase local output, and developed growing hab developments around the older settlement centers. Meanwhile, news filtered back that the UNCC was attempting to imitate the North Pholus Republic in rallying its population to make efforts towards supporting the defense of their colony, although it seemed clear that North Pholus had a clear lead in that project.

In 2247, Gaian forces launched a major assault against Gaia's Landing, desperately hoping to reclaim their lost capital. Although the Republican artillery platoon was destroyed in the attack, the assault was a disaster overall for the Gaians. Three companies of Gaian infantry, a platoon of attack rovers, and their own platoon of artillery were lost, and the Expeditionary Force struck at a Gaian terraforming team to ensure a clear path to Lily of the Valley. With Gaian forces reeling, the Expeditionary Force prepared for its next assault.

In 2248, the Expeditionary Force hit Lily of the Valley hard, launching a major missile bombardment that shattered the two companies of defending troops, despite the rings of defenses around the settlement. With resistance broken, the Expeditionary Force moved in to the battered settlement, seizing the primary ecological study facility of the Dominion and their primary industrial and economic center. With Lily of the Valley fallen, the last remaining major industrial center of the Dominion was The Flowers Preach, and recruits and equipment for their military were growing more and more difficult to assemble.

The Gaian government's response to this loss was to once again issue threats and ultimatums, demanding concessions in exchange for truce. Even in the face of looming collapse, the political and religious leadership of the cult of the Stepdaughters of Gaia remained stubbornly defiant and immune to reason.

They are being dismayingly stubborn idiots this game, they are.

In 2249, three more companies of Gaian infantry were crushed, clearing the Gaians from the territory surrounding Lily of the Valley, but not before the Gaians had sabotaged outlying thorium sifters, burnt farm fields, and sabotaged irrigation systems, leaving the settlement with dwindling supplies of food. With the Gaian infantry destroyed, local garrison troops took up positions in an outlying network of defensive bunkers that commanded the roads and rails between Lily of the Valley and Memory of Earth.

Bunkers provide a 50% defensive bonus to units in them, and prevent collateral damage when a unit in them is destroyed. They can be very useful for outlying defensive positions commanding strategic routes, such as that one.

Fighting continued through 2250, with a platoon of Gaian rovers failing to dislodge Republican forces from the defenses southeast of Lily of the Valley, troops out of Bushnell Center hunting down the last remaining platoon of Gaian artillery, and a Gaian special operations team being obliterated by missile fire. Gaian military might stood at the very verge of breaking.

Meanwhile, the growing importance of computer-aided tools led to significant examination of the role of computers and information in society. The conclusions, overall, were optimistic- it seemed clear that the potential that could be unlocked by increasing development of computer capabilities was immense. The general population grew increasingly comfortable with an integration of technology into life previously difficult to imagine.

Given that the things unlocked by Cyberethics all involve 'using computers even more vigorously', I have to imagine the general conclusions of the field are 'yes, please, more'.

An effort was also made to conclude a formal alliance with the UNCC in 2250. Although these negotiations failed due to concerns by the UNCC that the growing geopolitical power of the Republic was a long-term threat to the integrity of the UN Charter, which the UNCC still hoped to establish as the governing law of Chiron, the Republic was nonetheless paid a significant sum of credits in exchange for contact data for the newly-renamed Holy States of the Lord's Believers. Despite the failure of the primary objective of the negotiations, Republican negotiators nonetheless counted the discussions productive and valuable.

The Republic of Pholus as of 2250

With the sprawling territory now administered by the Republic, concerns about the inefficiencies of a continental government have begun to grow. The situation may be good now, but absorbing the remainder of Gaian territory would strain the administrative resources of the Republic to their limit. With the southern portions of the continent now largely under Republican occupation, the name of 'North' Pholus for the Republic has begun to grow increasingly inaccurate. The Dominion still clings to Pholus' eastern coast and the Spartan Federation has settled the easternmost peninsula of the continent, but the vast bulk of the territory and population of the continent is now under the Republic.

Our current settlement limit before suffering Bureaucracy penalties is 15- for each settlement above 15, we will gain one extra drone somewhere in our colony, and these drones can and will cluster together in settlements in a way that makes managing them difficult. Increasing EFFICIENCY by one would increase our limit to 17 or 18; decreasing EFFICIENCY will reduce our limit. Currently, we have 10 settlements, which is no problem, but taking every Gaian settlement on land would push us up to 14. Let's try not to overrun the Bureaucracy limit, shall we?

The Spartan Federation, UNCC, and Free State have all recently established new settlements. These growing colonies slowly tame the landscape of Chiron around them.

Chiron as a whole, unfortunately, has had little opportunity to be better explored by Pholusians as of yet- other matters have engrossed their attention.

The growth of North Pholus over the past decade has been reflected in growing investment and innovation. The Republic's economy is powerful and profits are strong, despite the war effort.

With the growing development of the Pholusian economy and infrastructure, new opportunities are presenting themselves to firms and startups within the Republic. A program of heavy industrial development may have some benefits, although diversion of resources from military endeavors would likely hurt military readiness in that case. Alternately, heavy investment in R&D, communications, education, and the provision of venture capital for new technology startups may have significant benefits for innovation and efficiency in the Republic, although loss of security oversight would be damaging to Intelligence Service operations. Finally, heavy governmental support for a stronger, better-equipped security sector could provide valuable benefits in military readiness, at the expense of heavier taxes diverting significant industrial resources to the security sector.

Wealth has already been explained; it will provide modest benefits to energy income and a noticeable benefit to production speed, at an unfortunate cost to our troop quality, which would be dangerous against mindworms in combination with our existing PLANET penalty. Knowledge will give us a 20% bonus to Labs produced and a +1 EFFICIENCY, helping increase our Bureaucracy limit and reduce losses from inefficiency. Power reduces support costs for our military forces and increases troop quality, at the cost of increasing all production costs for all construction projects in settlements by 20%, and will only be able to be imposed by the Colony Executive, rather than by general vote (reflecting that a larger military force is based on governmental policy decisions rather than normal market transactions).

Morgan is now the largest settlement in the known world, and easily the primary center of commercial activity and innovation on Chiron. Growing industrial output has begun to result in notable pollution, although it is possible shifting market patterns will obviate these concerns soon- several growing firms have been competing for capital in Morgan, and only one is likely to be a major operation in the long term. Morgan Industries has provided a major initial endowment of capital for a proposed Citizens' Defense Force, a volunteer organisation intended to provide training drills, a provisional command structure, civic defense plans, and the maintenance of civil defense infrastructure Republic-wide. After the initial endowment by Morgan Industries, new donations and volunteered time have begun to bolster the organisation, which intends to work closely with the Republic's government in the event of emergency so as to coordinate with professional security forces.

Eco-damage can be generated by terraforming improvements and by high mineral production in a settlement, and provides a chance of Bad Things happening every turn. In general, it is a good idea to try and keep eco-damage minimal. Forests help to reduce terraforming eco-damage, but forest mineral production can itself contribute to eco-damage.

Growing automation of Torrson's industry proceeds smoothly, if slowly. The settlement is now far from the front lines, and the population is secure and prosperous.

Tellus is closer to a full upgrade of local industry, and growing hab development around the settlement is beginning to see new families move in. Projections for growth in Tellus are optimistic.

Bushnell Center is now the second-largest settlement in the Republic's core territories, and one of its two primary industrial centers. Work on a major trunk undersea network line across from Bushnell Center to Hercules and branching in the sea to run east to New Lacedaimonia is laying the groundwork for a true planetwide Internet. Hopes are high that as new trunk lines are built that worldwide communications shall grow simpler, and that the Republic's network standards shall set the standard for every other colony on Chiron.

Improvement of networking infrastructure in Talon is under way, with penetration through the settlement steadily growing. Network connections in the settlement are still relatively poor compared to much of the Republic, but progress is steady.

Xochimilco supports its own automated industry, and exploits a significant hinterland of developed seafloor. The settlement is the port of call for a planned settlement mission spearheaded by Kusisitiza Datametrics, hoping to establish a new settlement in the Sea of Chiron near the coast of Hercules.

The new settlement of Prometheus is still small and lacking in much development, although Titan Geothermal has already begun exploiting the geothermal power along the Great Pholus Ridge. Clearance of a corridor to allow road and rail connections is anticipated soon, and small local firms have been establishing organic reprocessing plants to treat organic waste and gain what resources may be thereby recovered.

Gaia's Landing, although in many ways the most prosperous of the settlements captured from the Gaians, still lags badly behind the heartland of the Republic in development. New garrison forces are being raised here to supplement the defenders, after which civilian development shall follow. The capture of the prosperous farmlands Gaia's Landing previously depended on has greatly helped stabilise the food situation in the settlement.

Autumn Grove supports a strong timber and paper industry, with orchards in the south helping supply its need for food. Organic reprocessing plants have been under development here, and should help further stabilise the local situation. The settlement remains relatively economically depressed, with significant portions of the population still resisting the occupation and greater portions still underemployed under the uncertain conditions there.

Lily of the Valley suffers from food shortages created by the destruction of its farmland, and desperately works on assembling terraformer teams to redevelop its lands. The legacy entertainment complexes here from Gaian days continue to do business, yet to be outcompeted by home entertainment hardware as introduced by Dreamland and its gaming industry competitors. Capture of the Stepdaughters of Gaia Ecological Study Institute has proved to be of immense value to the Republic's terraformer teams- the libraries of data on local ecologies, geology, and meteorology help them to work more swiftly and more efficiently. The local economy is poorly-developed for the great population, and resistance here to the occupation is still fierce. Despite these difficulties, Lily of the Valley has been designated as the primary logistical center for the Expeditionary Force, helping relieve the pressure of military supply on economies in the Republic's heartland.

Gaian military and industrial might is collapsing. Only one major industrial center remains to them, and their military forces have been reduced to seven companies of infantry, only one of which is equipped with impact heavy weapons. The days of the Dominion's status as a great power are effectively over. Every year, they fall farther behind other powers as they strip their economy for military purposes and as innovation is stifled by their theocracy. Still, their leadership seems set on fighting to the bitter end, unable to recognise that they have already been beaten.

The Spartan Federation is a close rival to the UNCC for population, although each is only somewhat more than two thirds the population of the Republic. Ever-growing resources have been poured into the Federation's military, and the training of its soldiers is the pride of the world. Although relatively technically and economically backward compared to the UNCC or Republic, its military technology is still very close to top of the line.

The Spartans with Power Values train soldiers at Veteran with no Command Center, or at Elite with a Command Center. They have very, very good soldiers, now.

The UNCC has a slightly larger population than the Spartan Federation, a powerful and well-equipped military, and a relatively strong economy. Next to the Republic of Pholus, the UNCC is the clear second place in economic strength, and quality of life in the UNCC follows this.

The Free State has established a second settlement exploiting the vast wealth of the Uranium Flats, and managed to clamp down on a brief period of riots that paralysed University Base for a time. Although still weak and small, the Free State slowly is growing into greater prosperity.

Over the past decade, a Conclave of Pastors was called from the various settlements of the Lord's Alliance, establishing a formal unified church doctrine and calling on the mayors of the Alliance to actively enforce Conclave Law. This new centralisation has allowed for a true central government, one that is directly under the power of the Conclave of Pastors of the Church of the Lord's Believers- the Holy States of the Lord's Believers. With the unification of doctrine and the quelling of previously somewhat heterogeneous sects, conformity of thought in the Holy States has increased even further, stifling innovation and experiment, but the unity of purpose of the Believers renders them a formidable challenge for any Intelligence operations.

The Believers, with a +3 PROBE from their factional traits and Fundamentalist Politics, is immune to all or almost all probe actions against them. I forget if it is possible to still infiltrate their datalinks.

The various projects across known colonies to develop major centralised command facilities for their military forces have been abandoned, as colony after colony has run into coordination roadblocks or political difficulties. It seems likely that these projects will never be resumed. Despite the stubborn resistance of the cult of the Stepdaughters of Gaia, the war against them is all but won, and the future seems bright for the Republic.

The Command Nexus is no longer available for construction. No known colony has built it.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 24, 2016

• Locked thread