Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

If that were the case then you wouldn't get any of the bonuses from the tech. The tech's bonuses are the practical results of the general adoption of said tech, how exactly do you think we are gaining the benefits of Industrial Automation if we're not actually using automated industry?

Just because you can't think of an explanation doesn't mean there isn't one you know.

We've actually seen very little in the way of bonuses from Industrial Automation: it opens up Wealth as a social value, hab complexes (presumably only possible because of increased automation in industry and construction), supply crawlers (presumably automated, but we're not using them), the Planetary Transit System (which we haven't built, but presumably involves an automated transportation infrastructure), and +1 commerce.

We've seen only two of those. Industrial Automation's gameplay benefits are shockingly minor compared to the stated implications of the actual technology, which leads me to again theorize that it's deliberately not implemented to the fullest possible extent (save maybe with the Consciousness, who aren't exactly human to begin with).

Nweis: That's in large part because the official labor force doesn't include illegal immigrants and the like. Georgia's agricultural economy nearly collapsed when they got serious about removing quasi-legal farm workers.

And from my perspective, Industrial Automation was never an important part of the point I was making. There's an eminently logical reason for why it's a non-issue, which I have explained at length, and it's not one of the things I'm dwelling on. I specifically said I'd love to examine the potential social issues resulting from precisely what you say isn't happening, but then also noted that it wouldn't fit what this LP has described of Morganite society so I didn't do that examination.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nweismuller posted:

If we assume that every single illegal immigrant in the United States is employed in the agricultural sector, that still only brings agricultural employment up to a shade under 6%, which... doesn't really invalidate my point about this not needing Industrial Automation to be artificially restricted.

Still not my original point, but as I said to begin with I declined to take a serious look at the likely impact of Industrial Automation because I figured it would lead in places you don't want the North Republic to go, given my typically cynical view of the faction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lamia Domina posted:

Are you, in all fact, seriously now arguing that 87.5% of the US labor force is in fact comprised of illegal immigrant farmers? Because that would be a rather extraordinary claim, Cythereal.

A quick scan of census bureau statistics indicates that the population of the US circa 2014 was 318,857,056 persons, of which some 17.1% were documented as Hispanic. If we conservatively assume that all 54,524,557 documented Hispanics are employed in the agricultural sector in addition to 2.5% (6,608,312) of non-Hispanics, this would imply that there must be not fewer than 2,808,580,635 undocumented immigrants in America today, if every single one of them worked in agriculture - somewhat more than twice the entire population of China, or about 38% of the entire (documented) population of the planet.

That's a rather extraordinary claim, Cythereal.

While we're on this, would you care to explain which modern agricultural technologies in fact "aren't being utilized" on modern farms today, and which massive global conspiracy is conspiring to maintain all of those front businesses professing to manufacture combine harvesters and fertilizer? Viewers want to know, Cythereal.

You mistake me for someone who seriously gives a poo poo, I'm afraid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

Cythereal can handle it when the utopian market liberal society is set up by Dwarves but finds it inherently implausible that Humans could do the same thing even on an alien world with impossible technologies :v:

I didn't read the Master of Magic LP, and dropped out of the Master of Orion LP after raising similar objections to those I'm making now and got shouted down and told to stop posting by other folks in the thread. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Theantero posted:

So what you're saying is that a good ol' forums lynching is in order :toughguy:

I have always said that if Nweis wants me to stop posting in this thread, I will do as he asks, but I don't see the harm in saying that yes there are indeed social problems in North Pholus like there have been in every known human society. Not particularly widespread, not severe, but present and there are occasional isolated tragedies when events stoke existing tensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcturas posted:

Personally, my problem with your posting here is that you keep saying stuff like that, but when nweis then says, "hey man, that's pushing it," you get super defensive and start a huge derail about it, arguing about the premise fo the LP (utopian capitalism). Instead you could: a) drop it, b) accept his criticism gracefully, or c) GTFO.

Part of the problem might just be communication over the internet, but it seems like you are constantly vacillating between super defensive and saccharine faux-obsequiousness.

(Granted, I haven't been writing much fluff. So I don't have much of a stake in how much you describe the downside of North Pholan society. That's more for nweiss to decide how much he's willing to put up with. It's just really jarring to see you have one post where you say - let me know if this isn't ok - and then your next post is - GOD FORBID I POINT OUT THAT CAPITALISM ISN"T PERFECT AND WOULD YOU LIKE A COPY OF THE LITTLE RED BOOK!)

If that's the way I've been coming across, I'm genuinely sorry. I conceded things like how I probably was taking the notion of religious tensions too far, but I got very wary that I was ruining the thread for people when I defended other parts. I don't like ruining the thread for people, and so try to be considerate to other folks reading the thread when arguments do flare up.

• Locked thread