Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Personal Log Chief Surveyor R. Tiberius, Rat Patrol 01 posted:

Chiron sucks.

Alright, that's not fair. Earth sucked too. Things were bad enough that I don't regret leaving, but after sleeping our way across the cosmos, waking up to this shitstorm was damned disappointing.

I had a feeling we'd burned up all of our luck just getting here and it turns out I was right. We can't eat the native plant life. The local critters are probably toxic. The air, the loving air wants to kill us. I've even heard guys, stone-faced solid security boys, talking about how the goddamned fungus doesn't like us. The loving shrooms don't even want us here.

And it gets worse. We had to split all the supplies and of course no one wanted an even distribution. I'm glad I decided to back Morgan; he's a heartless bastard of a businessman but he knows he's just as hosed as the rest of us if he doesn't do everything in his power to keep us safe and sane. I don't know how he convinced the other leaders to give up the manufacturing equipment and tools but it was brilliant. The pressurized pre-fabricated factories meant we had a solid base to start a settlement, and everything we need to expand once we get some raw materials to work with.

I'm trying not to think about how the other colonists are doing. I had a good long talk with some of my buddies in ship security the night before we threw our lot in with Morgan, trying to make that decision. We mostly avoided discussing the elephant in the room, the Captain's assassination. We're probably never going to get a solid answer on that one anyway, although you could probably make a solid case for any of the leaders. Well, maybe not Lal. That poor bastard was clearly out of his depth, clinging so tightly to his worthless charter. And Godwinson is just too stupid to have either planned or gotten away with it. I'd feel bad for her people but it was their choice to follow her brand of crazy. If somebody asked me I'd put my money on Santiago or Yang. Santiago is the obvious culprit, but she's also the perfect fall guy for Yang if the ambitious bastard had done it. Zakharov and Skye are too wrapped up in their own sense of self-importance to give a poo poo about... basically anything but their work. Morgan was the only sane option, and I've got no regrets for backing him.

I was originally brought on as part of a surveying team and I managed to drag my crew through the chaos and down here to the surface, and Rat Patrol is ready to find the poo poo we need turn this loving poo poo-hole into a real home. I heard some of our geologists talking about some crystal formations they'd spotted as we came down just to the south of our settlement, and some of our tech guys are getting a signal from some cargo containers, one of which is to our southwest. Hopefully Morgan will order Rat Patrol to scope out those sites soon.

Anything but farming.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

nweismuller posted:

Cartheon, David Corbett- it is the standard map of Planet, which is why I am confidently able to assert three primary continents. Unfortunately, despite all the other geographic names, the continents themselves are unnamed, so I had to figure some names out for them.
Lokapala- out of curiosity, why were you certain we'd be playing with Pravin Lal?
RickVoid- very nice log entry, good work!

Did you catch that the bolded bit was my vote? The bolded bit was my vote. Get those pods ASAP.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, Loss Prevention guy? Those resources you're talking about? They're what we call finite. That means when we use them up, they are gone. The only way we can get more of them is by risking assets like yours truly and my team. We either grab what isn't nailed down (and take the nails too), or we dig it up. We can't just hole up like... like... Space Hobbits. We need to be Dwarves, Space Dwarves, digging up the Space Metal so we can defend ourselves from Space Elves, Space Orcs and... Space Nazi's works for Yang, I guess?

It's a matter of simple supply and demand, business guy. You demand, I supply. Send Rat Patrol out now!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man. Third mission out and suddenly Mind Worms.

Personal Log, Chief Surveyor R Tiberious posted:

I ain't got much time to put this log together, so I'll make it quick.

Looks like Morgan listened to sense. Rat Patrol has been ordered to check out the equipment cache to the southeast. Should be fairly easy, the only thing I'm concerned about is encounters with the local wildlife. We've been armed with some of the machine guns Morgan managed to sneak away from Santiago's bunch, and we've even had a little time to train with some of our Security boys, but most of Rat Patrol barely knows which end you point at the enemy before you pull the trigger.

At least it's unlikely that we'll have to worry about fighting things that shoot back. It's a pretty big world here, so it may be a long, long time before we actually come across any other human life. There's a small mercy.

Personal Log, Chief Surveyor R Tiberious posted:

Well that was just damned weird.

Turns out what we thought was a cargo pod was actually a structure native to Chiron. It's... well poo poo, let's call it like it is. It's a frigging alien factory. The eggheads are calling it "The Monolith", which I'm sure they feel clever about. Like none of the rest of us have ever seen the drat movie before.

With the exception of the steady signal we were getting from it (which was still claiming that it was a cargo pod), the place was dark and quiet. It wasn't until we got within a quarter mile of the place that things started to feel... funny. Deja Vu. We'd all felt like we had been there before. The closer we got, the stronger the feeling. And it started to respond to us too; lights were beginning to turn on at our approach, ancient machinery humming to life. I don't think I'll ever forget the look on Mark's face as he watched his hands fly across controls panels, seemingly at their own accord.

It sounds like there's a full foundry in there, rolling out sheets of metals and it sounds like we should be able to siphon power from the thing. It's not quite what we were looking for, but it may turn out to be better, in the long run.

It does make me wonder; if there was an advanced alien civilization on this planet, where the gently caress did they go?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 20, 2015

• Locked thread