Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Night10194 posted:

Santiago needs to die for what she did, if we ever find her.

You could make a real argument based on the prequel stuff that Santiago is the main villain of Alpha Centauri, even more than Yang.

Don't listen to this baseless propaganda. :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I will read this lp

Yaaaang! :bahgawd:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Surrender immediately to the Spartans for the glory of mankind.

It's a really good plan.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Is there an account for all of the leaders in this game?

There's a few of us. I think I've seen a Miriam before.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Fellow survivors,

As the appointed representative of the Spartan Federation, I endorse peace through the balance of powers. I recommend a research path of Conquer 4 to ensure this continues.

Your newfound surplus of wealth will surely soften you. To ensure my prediction comes true, I recommend an energy allocation of Economy 3, Science 3, Psyche 4.

Yours in peace,
Ambassador Esteban Martinez

Encrypted Message Loading... 100%

To: E.Martinez

I trust that you have found your accommodations to be suitable, though I hope you are not overwhelmed by the absurdities of Morganite extravagance. Focus on gathering information, as it will lay the foundation for all our efforts. Do your best to promote friendly relations but remember not to give any advice that might negatively impact our own cause. Contact command only as necessary.

-Gorgo-

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

To: Nwabudike Morgan <morgan@morgan.com>
Subject: Intel

Well met, Morgan. In the interest of fostering a strong friendship between our two peoples, I have assembled a brief video summary that will provide you with a tactical understand of the Gaian military. Providing intelligence on the Gaian forces, if you may call them that, is something of a tiresome chore. As such, from one leader to another, I recommend strongly that your people invest in the following manner; Energy 3, Labs 3, Psych 4. I assure you that your officers will need as much psychological training as possible to try to cipher the absolute madness that is the Gaian military agenda. If relations between our factions continue to improve, I shall see to it that future intel is provided to you.

May the friendship between the Morganites and Spartans last forever!

-Colonel Santiago

Attachment: GaianMilitaryDrill(2139)

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Spartan Memos

To: [command mailing list]
Subject: Scouting Reports

Comrades-

We must not let ourselves become overconfident after our recent victory. While their exact role in the mind worm attacks on our camps remains a mystery, you can all rest assured that Skye and her ilk are working tirelessly to increase their control over the monsters. I doubt that the Gaians would unleash the worms on their own citizens in the Greenhouse settlement. Nevertheless, all officers stationed there would do well to remind their troops to maintain standard precautions even within city limits. Scouts have infiltrated the outskirts of Gaia's Landing and have sent their reports on their military progress. We can expect a counter attack before the end of the year. See attachment A.

The Morganites appear to be staying out of our war. I have encouraged our diplomats to remain friendly and work on solidifying an alliance. Our elite Spartan units shall prevail over any enemy, but it would be foolish to turn away from Morganite backing. And yes, it is true that Morgan has placated to the demands of his wealthy peers, giving them voice in governing the faction. Rest assured that little has changed. Spies have sent recordings of government strategy meetings in Bushnell Center (see attachment B). You will find their activity to be trivial and idiotic. The rich elites only play about, pretending to have the mandate of the demos while they ensure their own interests are met. Let them imitate Athens of old. If they threaten war with us we will remind them of the Peloponnese.

You are the walls of Sparta.

-Colonel Santiago

Attachments: A.gaiaslanding441df.pdf, B.bushnellrallypt4

Colonel Corazon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 3, 2015

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also screw Santiago, in every game I've ever played you can't trust her. She's Planet's Montezuma!

I've always had the biggest problems with Miriam and Lal. Then again, I usually play as a super militant Gaian faction so that probably puts Santiago at bay.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Its been awhile since I've read SMAC's prelude but wasn't Garland's assassin unaffiliated with any of the factions? Though it would make sense if everyone else thought the rear end in a top hat Spartans were responsible.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

nweismuller posted:

It's unknown who was behind the assassination, but many people have been assuming that the Spartanreservationsolved. Somehow.

I always figured it was them or Yang. Santiago is kind of a straightforward baddie who was making some attempt at getting what she wanted without killing everyone whereas Yang strikes me as a more nuanced fucker with less reservations about murdering dudes

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Out of curiosity, why DO you think Santiago picked 'Colonel' for her title? My guess has always been it projects authority while still being sort of 'Field Grade' to suggest she is, herself, still a warrior.

This but she is very active in combat in the prelude. She's not adverse to putting herself in danger along with her soldiers. I doubt shes in the field on the Planet but I figure she'd be willing if need be. I always figured she really did have the complete loyalty of her troops due to this as opposed to a tinpot dictator wearing their rank as a fake badge.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Unload My Head posted:

The prelude actually goes out of it's way to show that the assassin was unaffiliated.

The Spartans were the ones who killed Lal's wife though.

Poor Lal. Your wife is dead and no one gives a poo poo about your UN charter. Also you're number one on Yang's hit list. :smith:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Unload My Head posted:

Yeah, the story does have a lot of variations from the game. Yang is a doctor and not the XO and I seem to remember Morgan being a stowaway as well.

I think Yang was in charge of security and Santiago his underling gone rogue. Consistency. :allears:

Night10194 posted:

Well, yeah. Like I said, take Wil's hatred of her (and Carl's before him) with a grain of salt. It's a passed down thing based on Carl's experiences on old earth at the end of its life and a generalized suspicion, rather than necessarily a reflection of Planet's realities.

Santiago is a giant rear end in a top hat so everyone should have a good reason to hate her. She always ruins my no-war playthroughs :argh:

Colonel Corazon fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 4, 2015

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You can actually know for certain by reading the profiles here. The site even has the original prologue story and links to the book trilogy.

Here's something freaky: in twenty days, Nwabuduke Morgan will be ten years old.

Yang confirmed as creepiest leader.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

nweismuller posted:

Bad news: war.
More bad news: I sort of have a headache, so am going to put off the update until tomorrow morning.
Good news: The battles so far have been an absolute slaughter in our favor. We're fighting defensively, but our enemies are sacrificing soldiers in job lots, while we have lost only one unit thus far. This includes a complete loss of all enemy Probe Teams.

Surprise twist! Miriam is our third lunatic neighbor and immediately declares a holy war on Morgan! :shepface:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Haha what the gently caress Miriam? The Believers are doing pretty drat well.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Why don't WE have those, Santiago? ;_;

Spartans aren't the baddies this time! :smug:

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Someday, I really want to write Yang as a straight up Evil Genius, philosophy or whatever aside. Volcano lairs, swarms of expendable minions in jumpsuits, ridiculous traps, tiny white cat to pet menacingly...

Monologues.

Swarms of minions you say?

---

Spartan Report - 2249HIVE

Intel continues with little headway. Network is nearly impenetrable. Few agents able to gain entry into Hive communities. Military drill (see attachment) observed by Sgt. Vargas suggest excellent organization between large units of well-disciplined soldiers. Reliance on speed and numbers to stun and overwhelm opponent. Possibly weak to prolonged combat. Suggest collaboration with other factions to gain further insight.

warrens.2249

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

Big Boss and Santiago would probably be buds.

• Locked thread