Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
:siren: Snowmobiles here! :siren:

OP! I'm a sheltered child! I've never ridden a snowmobile before/I live in a lovely area where there is no snow

:eng101: That's why I'm here to help you!

Tell me about the brands

:eng101: In America, there are four "big" brands, you're pretty much only gonna see these ones around, you might see a homebuilt or a nutty European one but that is exceedingly rare.

First off, let's start off with Polaris

:flashfap:

Polaris! The logo is a star. Get it? A Minnesota company. They're the pioneers of a lot of snowmobile technology, they recently turned 60! One thing Polaris is known for is their steering and suspension. Although they had suspension issues in the mid '00 they're doing decent now. I used to ride Polaris but my allegiance switches towards Ski Doo now. I'm a large fan of their late 90's XCR 800, very fast, high top end speed.

If you're looking to buy a Polaris snowmobile and are new to things and are riding by yourself, I recommend the Polaris 600 Switchback, two-seater, easy ride, but it can tackle a lot. Low price too!

Next is Ski-Doo

:haw:

Ski Doo, for you Canadian types. Biggest market share in North America. They're 70's and 80's sleds are kinda lovely. Unreliable, etc. They got better in the 90's and are considered the front runner today. You can find them almost anywhere. My ride of choice is a 1200 MxZ TNT. Fast, feels light, and rides like a dream. I recommend a lower CC model for beginners but overall big fan of Ski Doo in general. If you want a two-up, you can simply attach a seat to it, but there's also other models that are worthwhile like the Grand Touring

Here's Yamaha

:japan:

Yamaha really does do everything right? Based in Japan. Probably the smallest market share next to Arctic Cat in North America. Always been lingering in the market, they had some really awesome 70's sleds. Pioneered the 4-Stroke for American Snowmobiles. Lots of them are nice trail-rider or easy riding sleds, easy to pick up and use. Not to say they don't have sporty models, but when I think Yamaha I think trail. The Yamaha Viper is generally considered pretty good, I don't see too many in my neck of the woods though.

Finally, last but not least, Arctic Cat!

:ssh:

Not known for they're quiet sleds, it's another Minnesota company! You'll see a lot of kids and douche bags, too drive these. Not to say anything is wrong with these, they tend to just draw in the monster energy crowd. They like to push it to the limit with speeds. They've always been a strong member of the snowmobile community but have been recently considered unreliable due to recent turbo-engine issues leading to a lot of trail-side blow outs which you really, really don't want. Especially if you're by yourself. I'm really not a fan, but the internet tells me that the Arctic Cat XF 8000 Limited is a great off-trail sled. Do with that as you will!

:) Okay cool, where should I ride?

This part is really up to you. Northern Wisconsin, Central Illinois, Upper Manitoba, Minnesota, Northern New York and British Columbia tend to be hot spots. For Europe, Sweden tends to have the best trails.

Anything else I should know?

It can be expensive, but it's a lot of fun! I hope this OP helps a little bit :)

What sleds do you own OP?

A Ski Doo MXZ and a 1979 Yamaha SRX, I love them both so dearly :glomp:

Describe Arctic Cat Riders

How safe are these things?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Snowmobilers once started a fire on a rally stage at Sno*Drift and when confronted, wouldn't leave. They had to cancel the stage, and we had been waiting in sub-zero temperatures for two hours to see Ken Block and Travis Pastrana eat poo poo.

I'm not sure what type of snowmobiles they were but it sounds like it had to be Artic Cats.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I would move back to Alaska for one of these.

or a fleet of them.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

cursedshitbox posted:

I would move back to Alaska for one of these.

or a fleet of them.

It's beautiful

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I used to ride here and there back when I was in high school. The only thing I know about snow mobiles is they break some times and then you swear a ton.

Its so much god drat fun when they work right :3:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I used to ride here and there back when I was in high school. The only thing I know about snow mobiles is they break some times and then you swear a ton.

Its so much god drat fun when they work right :3:

Really more people should. It's a lotta fun.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

OP needs to at least mention the Larven in passing. Not particularly relevant to modern sleds but it's too ridiculous/awesome not to mention.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Tommychu posted:

OP needs to at least mention the Larven in passing. Not particularly relevant to modern sleds but it's too ridiculous/awesome not to mention.

Jesus Christ ahahahahahahah I've never even heard of this

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Apparently my great grandpa built a sled with a washing machine motor back in ought five or something idk

I rode a friends sled uphill near McBride, BC on a trip and it was amazing. We had a group that would ride up, snowboard down, ride back up, etc Best powder day I ever had.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Better OP! Now with more gifs.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I rode a friends sled uphill near McBride, BC on a trip and it was amazing. We had a group that would ride up, snowboard down, ride back up, etc Best powder day I ever had.

This is what I want a snowmobile for: back country skiing. What's a good utility/work model that can climb hills with a load?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Speleothing posted:

This is what I want a snowmobile for: back country skiing. What's a good utility/work model that can climb hills with a load?

Sorry for replying to my own thread so much :haw:

I've heard good things about the 2015 Polaris Indy Voyageur 550, I'm not sure what to do about an actual skirack, you could build one pretty cheap and easy or buy a kit, but the 550 is probably enough power for what you need, long track, etc. :)

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Man I love snowmobiles. But unfortunately I live in Norway where's it's really restricted where you can ride, making it nearly impossible. It's been ten years since I've ridden one now. The last sled I rode was my cousins Mountain Cat 600, which was way faster than anything I had ridden before, and it was a blast! Last year he suddenly got a Polaris after being a Arctic Cat man for over a decade, should go visit him soon...

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
I rolled my 97 Yamaha VMAX last week and smashed the windshield. So I borrowed my buddy's much newer and much faster AC Firecat, and now I get snowmobiling.

If anybody in the Western New York area is interested in a 77 SnoJet 440 restoration project, let me know. I already did the part of the restoration where you take it all apart and lose interest in it, so it's like you're half-done!

Be advised: the SnoJet is currently buried.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Valfar posted:

Man I love snowmobiles. But unfortunately I live in Norway where's it's really restricted where you can ride, making it nearly impossible. It's been ten years since I've ridden one now. The last sled I rode was my cousins Mountain Cat 600, which was way faster than anything I had ridden before, and it was a blast! Last year he suddenly got a Polaris after being a Arctic Cat man for over a decade, should go visit him soon...

I live in New York, and despite being total dildos about every other type of off-road vehicle, it embraces the HELL out of snowmobiling. I live on an island, and there's something like 20 miles of clearly marked and well-groomed trail on it. And not just in the woods. It goes along the river, through a state park, past a Tim Hortons and a few bars, through a few residential areas. It's nice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Computer Opponent posted:

If anybody in the Western New York area is interested in a 77 SnoJet 440 restoration project, let me know. I already did the part of the restoration where you take it all apart and lose interest in it, so it's like you're half-done!

Be advised: the SnoJet is currently buried.

This is giving me flashbacks, shades of craigslist trade offers past.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
it's called a snowmachine motherfucker

shralp the gnar bro

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have ridden one of these exactly once. It was in revelstoke, and I was told at the end of the groomed trail to practice my pow turns in a snowfield that was "pretty flat."

I went off a 15 foot cliff in that snowfield, and I thought it was just a gentle rollover so I let off the throttle and the sled lawn dart-ed nose first into the snow. I nutted myself on the handlebars and have a scar on the inside of my leg from it.

That's my snowmobiling story. It was a lot of fun but after doing it in fresh snow on top of a mountain I just don't get why people would trail ride around here (MN). It's so boring in comparison.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
My grandpa had a stable of old snowmobiles when I was a kid, I always rode the Sno Jet 440. At 20 years old it was the newest machine in the barn and was running more often than not. As a teenage boy I thought it was fast as hell. Looking it up now I see it made a whopping 11 horsepower and had a top speed of 57 mph, plenty fast for a kid. It looked a lot like this one except way more beat up from me riding it through thick woods at rather dangerous speeds. I haven't been on a snowmobile since then I'm sure a modern one would be mind blowing in comparison.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Modus Man posted:

My grandpa had a stable of old snowmobiles when I was a kid, I always rode the Sno Jet 440. At 20 years old it was the newest machine in the barn and was running more often than not. As a teenage boy I thought it was fast as hell. Looking it up now I see it made a whopping 11 horsepower and had a top speed of 57 mph, plenty fast for a kid. It looked a lot like this one except way more beat up from me riding it through thick woods at rather dangerous speeds. I haven't been on a snowmobile since then I'm sure a modern one would be mind blowing in comparison.

It's been a decade since I rode my SnoJet, but I remember it being a decent enough ride. If I can't find somebody to take it out of my driveway, I'll probably end up pulling the motor and selling the rest for scrap. Aluminum spikes every now and then. I just hate the idea of scrapping something old and fixable.

Maybe I can make a drift trike with the motor.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

wheez the roux posted:

it's called a snowmachine motherfucker

shralp the gnar bro

MACHINE? HOOEY

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
My Easter was AWESOME! As I've mentioned earlier the restrictions on snowmobiling in Norway is pretty ridiculous. But when you're in a place with no people and no police within miles? You go hog wild push the rules a little. My cousin brought his Ski-Doo Summit X with the 800 etec engine (think it's a 2014). Holy poo poo that thing was a blast to ride. Not only did the 160ish hp engine contribute to a stupid amount of fun, but that thing is super easy to ride, the maneuverability is great. And it climbs like a god drat monkey in a tree. Needless to say I've yet again been bitten by the snowmobile bug and I'm thirsty for more... Good thing it's spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Valfar posted:

My Easter was AWESOME! As I've mentioned earlier the restrictions on snowmobiling in Norway is pretty ridiculous. But when you're in a place with no people and no police within miles? You go hog wild push the rules a little. My cousin brought his Ski-Doo Summit X with the 800 etec engine (think it's a 2014). Holy poo poo that thing was a blast to ride. Not only did the 160ish hp engine contribute to a stupid amount of fun, but that thing is super easy to ride, the maneuverability is great. And it climbs like a god drat monkey in a tree. Needless to say I've yet again been bitten by the snowmobile bug and I'm thirsty for more... Good thing it's spring.

I'm glad, hopefully this thread helped a little bit too :D

• Locked thread