Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
is the daytona 24 hours being broadcast anywhere on uk tv? it was on motors tv last year but they're showing a bunch of old poo poo on saturday and sunday so it looks like they aren't showing it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Xisticide posted:

Live from 18:30-02:00 Saturday night, then from 12:00-19:30 on Sunday. Going to have to hope the stream works for the 10 hours in the middle.

Edit: on Motors

i'm a dumb dumb that can't use motor tv's website; i was looking midnight-6am without realising it

still lovely to not have all of the programmes on one page

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

when i was clearing out my cupboards at my parents at christmas I found an old tape of the bbc highlights of the 1999 rally gb - that's the last one where they had stages outside wales. Its strange to watch and compare it to the current rally gb, if only because its more interesting: its longer, uses a lot of fresh stages and doesn't repeat a great deal, you had the spectator day where they went to places kinda near people so they could go see the rally without driving to the middle of Wales, and even then they had proper scary crowd problems in the forests. Hell, a few years earlier they still did the thing where they had a spectator day, a day going north towards scotland and two days in wales which meant that lots of people were pretty close to proper stages anyway...

The WRC kinda began to lose steam in the UK when Burns died and McRae struggled to find drives before the helicopter crash. Then it turned into "and in the Turkish Rally, Loeb wins for the sixth straight rally" and people stopped caring. Its like if F1 had a Vettel 2013 season every year for ten straight years - people would just go "what's the point?" and watch something else. Now Ogier seems to be dominating and Red Bull (for they are apparently the promoter) can only think of really stupid ideas to fix the thing like "last stage shootout to decide the rally!!!" which the FIA thankfully blocked.

I remember when I was ten going to the Jim Clark rally with my Dad in 2003, and seeing a load of people that no one really has ever heard of... and Jari-Matti Latvala. Its kind of odd seeing the guy on TV and thinking that you saw one of the better guys in the WRC in some lovely rally in Scotland ten years earlier.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

generally I've found that everyone's personal racing "golden years" is when they are a kid or got into the thing and didn't care much about the politics. Like I think that the best years of F1 was around 97-2001 not because of anything particularly great about the racing in those years but because I was a kid and Schumacher was cool. The earlier years may have had better drivers, better racing and more technical cars but I didn't care about that at the time because I was like five and they looked cool and fast enough. Its the same with Indycar/CART: 1999 will always be the best season because it was the only year that i could watch the thing on TV at a decent time (channel 5 randomly had the rights), it had very fast cool looking cars and a Scottish driver competing for the championship which was actually cool. Like CART was already in the process of dying at that point but I didn't care about that at the time because the races were good (although I remember my six year old self being very confused about rolling starts for some reason). As soon as you start actually paying attention to the politics behind the sport and you get a little cynical, everything always looks a bit poo poo.

I'm slowly rewatching the 1998 F1 season through a bunch of German language videos of the Digital F1 PPV thing they tried for a few years and outside the few races that were mclaren walkovers there's some pretty good racing there. And hey, its more interesting that current F1 is at the moment...

the 80s have the craziest cars - the Lancia Delta S4 rally car with a turbocharged and supercharged engine that could have generated 700+HP will always be the craziest racing car ever.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i'd laugh if a front wheel drive car won le mans

when was the last time that a front wheel drive won something important at the top of world motorsports?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Quantrill posted:

1947 Indy 500?

I had whenever the last time a Mini won the Monte Carlo Rally in my head which would be late 60s at least; and that's ignoring the fact that people probably tried to copy its success

e: A Lancia Fulvia won it in 1972; that could be it?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

bathurst is the best loving track

e: I missed the Formula Ford race and am streaming that instead of the radicals (because I like single seaters more than a sports car spec series) and my god you weren't kidding

also more streams should let you jump back and watch what whatever you've missed

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 7, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i thought that transam died

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Cygni posted:

F1 just banned drivers from changing helmets and NASCARs qual regs at daytona were so bad that basically every driver called it out. Dumb leadership is the rule in racing, these days.

E: Nissan running a 2 car factory GTR GT3 team in World Challenge. James Davison driving one of em. Nissan apparently remembered racing exists this year.

Also pretty sweet ride for Ambrose.

I didn't actually realise that penske was involved in that team which seems odd - is this the first time that Penske has been involved with a non-american racing series? Because of random rfactor mods I know he did f1 for a bit in the mid 70s, but other than that nothing comes to mind

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

CactusWeasle posted:

I was in an iRacing rookie street stocks race (lol) with Fabian Coulthard, and he got spun out by some guy, proceeded to have an argument about it, then he said to the guy "you're just a wannabe racer :smug: " so thats my opinion of Fabian Coulthard

isn't this every iracing oval race ever

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

One of the recommended links there is about the Berlin Formula E race being held at Tempelhof Airport; which seems like a very good decision since airport tracks are usually more exciting than street tracks because there usually is room to race. Also helps that its not an active airport so you don't have to deal with closing it.

Was there last summer when I went to Berlin; its now a public park but they've kept all the runways and taxiways there. I walked around on foot but in hindsight should have hired a bike: it seems like a perfect place to go for a bike ride because you can ride at will without cars and the like getting in the way.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

My impression is that in the UK they've really ballsed up Rally GB for spectators by condensing the schedule and charging lots of money to stand in a wood in Wales and watch Ford Fiesta's drive past every two minutes. The thing used to literally go over the entire UK from Western Scotland to Northern England to Yorkshire to Wales while also having spectator stages in places that people could actually get too - public parks, racetracks and things like that. They charged for those while letting the forests be free and publicly open which probably generated more cash than they do now since families will take their kids to the spectator stages while the crazies will go and stay up all night in the cold. Now people won't do that since the thing is literally in the middle of nowhere.

When I was six my Dad took a week off work and took me to see a few of the forest stages in the 99 Rally GB: genuinely one of the coolest things that I've ever seen. I wouldn't do it to see the current WRC cars though.

Add in the fact that after around 2002 someone other than the BBC got the rights and it never really had a consistent timeslot and in like a year the highlights were shown at 3am on a Tuesday morning, if at all. I think the highlights are now on Motors TV; which a premier World Championship should not be on.

I'd personally have a mix of different type of rallies: have most of them be three day endurance events but have a few of the more traditional ones be a day longer. Also bring back the old-fashioned Safari because its a really cool event and there's nothing really like it around.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm sure Portugal went from being the worst for spectators to one of the better ones, although that's probably because everyone stopped going

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

lol they aren't running the British Rally Championship this year because they're taking a year off to get a better promoter. Perhaps running identical FWD Citroens isn't the best formula for a good championship??

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Dudley posted:

I do like the idea of having proper rallies but starting with shorter, spectator friendly stuff Friday evening/Saturday morning. It'd be the best of both worlds really.

They used to do this for Rally GB; but ditched it for some unknown reason. It makes the thing much easier on families and might actually get people interested in rallying again

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

formula libre was cool and should happen again

that race has the best picture of any race ever

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've just been clicking through this site and its incredibly cool - they seem to be trying to write reports of each Grand Prix held from the start of the World Championship including all the non-championship ones. Its probably stuff available elsewhere but gathering everyone in one well-presented place is always nice. The stuff about the various F1 races ran when the World Drivers Championship was run to Formula 2 regulations in 52 and 53 is interesting, since its not really something that's talked about a great deal.

What I'm saying is that I now blame Fuzzy if I hand my dissertation in late and fail uni since he's made me aware of a site that I'll probably waste hours clicking on and reading about the 1953 Albi Grand Prix...

Space Butler posted:

Is it just me, or does every single formula E track look exactly the same?

Narrow streets, chest high walls, and a few ugly buildings in the background. It always looks like they're just driving around a random industrial estate.

The one in Berlin is at the former Tempelhof Airport which is now a public park - depending on how they make the track look that'll mean that it will look completely different. I don't think it'll be a Cleveland, but it might just be something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

dsriggs posted:

I am shocked. SHOCKED.

Tripped over a Seat lmao.

its a ferrari ran by dragon racing, i'm surprised that they didn't wreck before the start

• Locked thread