Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Edit: ALBUM'S OUT NOW, IGNORE THIS OP!

Continuing their pretty reliable three year cycle, Muse will be releasing their seventh studio album in this Our Year of Luigi 2015; and it might just be their best album yet! Wait, isn't that we said about The 2nd Law before it was released?

This thread is for general Muse discussion and LP7 anticipation, as well as all the usual pre-album news like singles, release dates, tracklists, etc. For more info about Muse, learn to loving google

I'll get all the usual stuff out of the way now:

• Muse is a parody of their former selves (probably, but its kinda half intentional on Muse's part — if you're still a Muse fan after all this time, you've probably learned to embrace the ridiculousness of it all)
  • Origin of Symmetry is the best album (wrong, it's actually Absolution BHaR Absolution)
  • Muse has the sexiest bass player known to music (100% true) but depending on what you think of "Save Me" and "Liquid State" on the last album, it's either a good thing or a bad thing that he said he probably doesn't want to sing lead vocals on any more songs in the future.

What we know so far

• The album will be produced by Robert John "Mutt" Lange, legendary producer for AC/DC (Back In Black) and, uh, Shania Twain (The Woman In Me).
  • Matt Bellamy said B-sides like "Agitated" and "Yes Please", when played live in 2013, were "rehearsal" for the new album.
  • "This most recent album is quite electronic in sound, the album before is very progressive and have a lot of classical music on it, I think the next album we might return to more so straight rock sound, kinda sounding to early albums I think."
  • "It's the comedown and the sort of waking up the next day being like, 'What the gently caress? What the gently caress? That was crazy'...I kind of feel like it will be nice to reconnect and remind ourselves of just the basics of who we are. (...) I have this strong feeling that the next album should be something that really does strip away the additional things that we've experimented with on the last two albums, which is electronics, symphonics and orchestral work and all that kind of stuff."
  • Themes of the new album will include "deep ecology", "the Empathy Gap" and "World War III". :jerkbag:
  • Recording was done between October and December, 2014. Strings were recorded in December in Milan. The album is basically complete now according to various tweets by band members.
  • One particular tweet joked (maybe???) that one of the new songs was a "sequel" to "Citizen Erased".
  • Matt promised a single would be released by Christmas last year, which we obviously didn't get. Hopefully it'll be soon though!

(Sources for all this stuff are probably listed at Wikipedia and Musewiki, but I'm too loving lazy to actually put them here.)

What to listen to while you wait!

If you're sick of the six main albums, then I recommend you check out Muse's fairly robust B-sides catalogue! Here are my recommendations:

• The double album Hullabaloo Soundtrack, which has an awesome live disc as well as a 10-track collection of B-sides from the first two albums.
  • The non-album double single Dead Star/In Your World, which are some of the heaviest songs Muse has recorded. They came out in the gap between Origin of Symmetry and Absolution, and are kind of an extension of the Origin sound before Muse took a bit of a left turn for the next album. This single had its own B-side, "Futurism", which is pretty cool as well.
  • The amazing six B-sides from Absolution and BHaR (three apiece), which I have in a playlist as an EP sort of thing that I listen to all the time. I think they're some of Muse's best songs ever, B-sides or not. You have "The Groove", "Eternally Missed", "Fury", "Crying Shame", "Easily" and "Glorious". I can't recommend these enough.

You could also listen to some other rock band which is equally as good objectively better equally as good, like Queens of the Stone Age.

Tour dates

http://www.muse.mu/tour-dates.htm

Kicking off on the 29th of May, which is when we'll probably hear a bunch of new songs! Dates are just for Europe so far, sadly. Nobody lives there.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
DRONES - OUT NOW!

From Matt: “To me, 'Drones' are metaphorical psychopaths which enable psychopathic behaviour with no recourse. The world is run by Drones utilizing Drones to turn us all into Drones. This album explores the journey of a human, from their abandonment and loss of hope, to their indoctrination by the system to be a human drone, to their eventual defection from their oppressors."

DRONES
1. Dead Inside
2. [Drill Sergeant]
3. Psycho
4. Mercy
5. Reapers
6. The Handler
7. [JFK]
8. Defector
9. Revolt
10. Aftermath
11. The Globalist
12. Drones

Lyric videos

These are all more creative and interesting than the actual music videos (below):

Music videos

:geno:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 11, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I don't know man the last Muse album pretty much shredded all good will from this band for me. I'll probably listen to the album on spotify, maybe, if the single is catchy or something but I'm not looking forward to it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You gotta admit it had some pretty good songs. Supremacy, Animals, uh... Big Freeze is kinda catchy?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why do you guys continue to hurt yourself like this?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

You gotta admit it had some pretty good songs. Supremacy, Animals, uh... Big Freeze is kinda catchy?

I liked madness and that one song that sounded like Michael Jackson or whatever. That was a fun song.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
2nd Law was hot garbage and I wasn't excited for it at all but well on board for this sucka

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've loved everything Muse have put out. They are ridiculous but I've always had a soft spot for them. Looking forward to this!

Origin of Symmetry is the first album of theirs I bought and is indeed the best one. Absolution is amazing too.

Itachia
Aug 24, 2009
2nd Law has definitely grown on me but will never be the one I decide to put on when I want to listen to Muse.

Completely hyped to hear what their new one is like soon!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm a HUGE Muse fan and have some hope for this bringing the rock judging from last year's Coachella performance/setlist. Bands rarely stay good into their 30's so gonna have to be realistic but I don't think we have another new rock-bottom coming.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

quote:

"This most recent album is quite electronic in sound, the album before is very progressive and have a lot of classical music on it, I think the next album we might return to more so straight rock sound, kinda sounding to early albums I think."

quote:

"It's the comedown and the sort of waking up the next day being like, 'What the gently caress? What the gently caress? That was crazy'...I kind of feel like it will be nice to reconnect and remind ourselves of just the basics of who we are. (...) I have this strong feeling that the next album should be something that really does strip away the additional things that we've experimented with on the last two albums, which is electronics, symphonics and orchestral work and all that kind of stuff."

Sounds great!

quote:

Recording was done between October and December, 2014. Strings were recorded in December in Milan.

Oh.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm a poor 25 year old working hourly but god dammit I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it to a European stadium next time. Got to be Wembley right?

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 20, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

I'm a poor 25 year old working hourly but god dammit I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it to a European stadium next time. Got to be Wembley right?

If you can! Personally I prefer them in arenas

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

If you can! Personally I prefer them in arenas
I've seen them in arenas in America but the stadium production/setlists are on another level and probably a once in a lifetime chance for a fanboy like me. And I want an insane crowd!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I gave up on Muse after The Resistance, didn't even realise they put out another album after that. Judging by this thread I guess it was more of the same.

Organs posted:

"This most recent album is quite electronic in sound, the album before is very progressive and have a lot of classical music on it, I think the next album we might return to more so straight rock sound, kinda sounding to early albums I think."

Who said this and what's their first language, because it ain't English that's for sure. Also it's a bit redundant suggesting it'll be electronic, all pop is these days.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

I've seen them in arenas in America but the stadium production/setlists are on another level and probably a once in a lifetime chance for a fanboy like me. And I want an insane crowd!

They always give their most for Wembley too :3:

HJB posted:

I gave up on Muse after The Resistance, didn't even realise they put out another album after that. Judging by this thread I guess it was more of the same.

It was less symphonic and more straight-up pop. Oh, and they discovered dubstep...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The 2nd Law was definitely a disappointment at first, largely because of the production, which I think is the main thing that didn't sound Musey about it. But it's still in pretty heavy rotation on my car stereo, because the digital download version (high-res, high-bitrate FLAC) was one of the most perfectly mastered recordings I've heard in a long time.

I'm not sure if a "return to roots" is really what I want from them at this point. I think an album like the last one could be done well, just with a different production style. The songs themselves weren't at fault (as evidenced by how much better they sounded live).

Of course, "return to roots" albums never really live up to the promise anyway, so it's just as well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Weird instagram video they posted today: http://instagram.com/p/yUR45vnXXC/

A screen shown briefly implies the album title might be Drones:

edit: The psychological abuse goes to eleven!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 26, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Well drones certainly is a reference to a Thing Thats Current I guess.

I wonder how muse feels about that thing. Maybe good?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Various people involved in Muse management/production have been tweeting pictures of bees in the last few days. Maybe it's a metaphor involving bees. Bees, guys.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 29, 2015

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Drones is pretty cool. Could also refer to how we are slaves of technology these days. Or something. I don't know. It's Muse so it'll be bombastic and dumb in a fun way.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just want more Absolution honestly, but that will never happen. :(

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Hedrigall posted:

Various people involved in Muse management/production have been tweeting pictures of bees in the last few days. Maybe it's a metaphor involving bees. Bees, guys.

Just in case you're not being sarcastic: drones are a kind of bee.

Drones would be an acceptable title because it's simple and not too pompous, unlike some Muse titles I could mention.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

not the cover art

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
To be fair, the most pompously named album is the best one!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fat Turkey posted:

To be fair, the most pompously named album is the best one!
How has Muse not had four self-titled albums yet?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I misread your OP and thought Shania Twain was one of the producers on the album.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

cool riff
http://instagram.com/p/yx9GHCHXRJ/

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I misread your OP and thought Shania Twain was one of the producers on the album.

At this point in their rather mixed career this would not make Muse any less absurd.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Album is definitely called Drones, see upper left:

The artwork will be by illustrator/photographer/film-maker Matt Mahurin. He's probably best known for Metallica's Some Kind of Monster DVD/poster, some Tom Waits stuff, and directing tons of music videos. Check out his gallery on his website, it's bizarre and cool stuff!

He said on his blog:

Matt Mahurin posted:

I have begun working on the next album for the band MUSE.

I will be doing the photography, illustration, and designing of the package. I will also be doing some motion work that will support the still images.

To be able to collaborate with a global music force is a challenging and exciting endeavor. I have had the opportunity to do similar projects with Tom Waits, U2, Queen Latifah, and The Bogmen.

The album title is DRONES - a word offering a dark and intriguing exploration of the potential virtues and abuses that come with control, responsibility, and purpose.

A few steps involved:

• contacted by the band's management, Q-Prime, which I've worked with a lot during several Metallica music videos.
• along with several other imagemakers, submitted my ideas based on the band's themes for the album.
• had a face-to-face with Matt & Dom from the band.
• After a bit of time I was chosen to take on the project.
• I was sent lyrics to the songs and listened to some tunes to get a feel for the mood.
• Presented sketches of ideas for approval.
• Now beginning work on some finished images.

What makes a job like this such a blast is the amount of creative freedom that is allowed by the band. With this freedom comes the responsibility to serve the intent of the music while also being able to express my vision of the sounds and words. Another thrill to this kind of gig is the chance to hopefully contribute some memorable images to the decades-long history of album art.

I am grateful to MUSE for putting their trust in me to visually support a project that they have invested so much time, effort, and creativity.

I will be posting developments along the way.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 8, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

This is probably going to be the studio version of one of Muse's coolest live jams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNJv6jsBuf8

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also if you want to hear some motherfucking amazing poo poo similar to that riffage, listen to Royal Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSdtvfBQd6c (NSFW video clip... think Superjail! meets furries)

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I hope the artwork/visuals for this album don't give me nightmares. And I wasn't really a fan of Animals live because of that dumb video.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a taste of what the new single's music video will look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1N9VJVa9g

It's some performance/video art collective called SEKDEK, who collaborated on the new video. Gives me a real "I'm Ol' Gregg" vibe. loving terrifying.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what the gently caress?

I blame Kate Hudson for this. Matt has finally lost it. I mean I guess bizarre and raw is better than what could've come after The 2nd Law..

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Breaking up with Kate Hudson? I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://instagram.com/p/zi4eN_HXY9/

The first instagram snippet that's definitely part of a song.

*guitar riff* DRONES!

Uh...

Edit: Oh, it sounds like Bombtrack by RATM

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 26, 2015

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
You speak as if Kate Hudson was having an uplifting effect on Muse's creative output. Its a shame for both of them though. Imagine having Snake Plisken as your father-in-law.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

It was a joke!

I really have no idea why they're going with these disturbing visuals out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Oh. Ah. Sorry.

DRONES.

• Locked thread