Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Madkal posted:

Pulled it from this post. Guess it's just a European setlist thing.

Yeah it was from the psycho tour, they played similar sets in NYC and LA as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, the Psycho tour was loving great. We got Futurism of all things.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I see at least three vocal mics on stage, did matt and dom just switch between them interchangeably?

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Where are they hiding their resident 4th member on that stage?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

auzdark posted:

Where are they hiding their resident 4th member on that stage?

In a literal hole, in the dark:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Ridiculous.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol why are they so ashamed of him?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

My Portland review: Awesome technology, dumb setlist. Phantogram made it worth it.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Paperback Writer posted:

Revolt is so bad. It's gonna ruin my mood.

Oh good, I am not the only one who thinks this. I know some people who really like that song and I just don't understand it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

Oh good, I am not the only one who thinks this. I know some people who really like that song and I just don't understand it.
For the record, it did in fact still suck live. As did Drones

They managed to make Undisclosed Desires really cool with the new setup though.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Paperback Writer posted:

They managed to make Undisclosed Desires really cool with the new setup though.

Really? That's cool. I kinda felt like that song could be interesting live or with a different arrangement. I'm so meh about Drones in general it's really put me off going to see them live.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah the last stadium tour was actually really good I thought. Less hyped for this one though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

I hated it at first but something clicked and I stopped treating it like a Muse song. I just pretend they're covering a cheesey 80s pop rock ballad and it makes sense to me as an okay song.

I understand why it's polarizing though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Any idea what the stage time is? Driving in for the LA show.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Muse starts 9:30ish

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They've dropped Reapers from the setlist of 2 US shows now, jesus loving christ what is wrong with them, it's their best song of the last 2 albums.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Reapers wasn't played tonight, either. This tour has the worst sets.

Edit: they did play Reapers. The tour still sucks.

the truth fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 20, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hedrigall posted:

They've dropped Reapers from the setlist of 2 US shows now, jesus loving christ what is wrong with them, it's their best song of the last 2 albums.

Yeah but they played the Globalist instead :v:

I thought the show was great but I'll admit I sat down and zoned out for the entire song sans the blistering middle part with the full-sized drone.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

The more posts I see from the shows, the more glad I am that they are skipping SLC and I'm not wasting my money. I'm scared to go to the Muse forums and read what people are saying. Muse is my favorite band to see live but I don't need the crazy lasers etc, I want damned good music and a lot of it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah but they played the Globalist instead :v:

They play that at every show.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Langolas posted:

The more posts I see from the shows, the more glad I am that they are skipping SLC and I'm not wasting my money. I'm scared to go to the Muse forums and read what people are saying. Muse is my favorite band to see live but I don't need the crazy lasers etc, I want damned good music and a lot of it.

It was a great show and the stage show was amazing. If you're holding out for a band playing the perfect set list you're going to be sad forever because every band likes all of its own music, even the songs the fans don't care about.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Which would be fine if they could still play the good songs right, but they haven't been able to do that for a while. So you get a setlist that's mostly bad songs and even the good ones are underwhelming if you're familiar with what the band used to sound like. Matts voice is broke. :(

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMFJTZ9Go7Y
Even though this guy's got crappy seats this video does a good job of capturing what the full concert is like. Yes they're not playing nearly close to what they could do setlist-wise, but it's still an incredibly cool show if you consider yourself a Muse fan still.

I just wish the entire thing had visuals as cool as The Globalist, The Handler, and Undisclosed Desires. The Globalist especially, I forgot how psychedelic and awesome that production was. Even made me hear the later part of that song in a new light.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 23, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Too bad the set list only has 17 songs and they play recordings of Drones (twice) and Isolated System to fill time.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Madkal posted:

I went to the show last night. It was my third time seeing Muse and I got to say, despite it being an excellent spectacle with amazing visuals and some tight work with the music and sound, it was probably not my favourite time seeing Muse, and most of that comes down to the set list. For one thing, they played 9 out of the 12 songs from Drones, including playing Drones twice. I understand a band wants to promote their new stuff but when 4 out of the first five songs are from the new album, and of the songs that they played is 10 minutes long, and, well to put it kindly the new songs kind of suck, then it just becomes a bit meh. I know a lot of people probably like Muse for the newer stuff, and songs like Resistance and Madness got huge applauses from the crowd, but they only played one song from Origin of Symmetry (Bliss) and one song from Absolution (Our Time is Running Out) and the whole thing just comes across wildly uneven.
I understand that they can't play all the older stuff, but they could have easily cut away 3 or so songs from Drones to make way for Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Plug in Babe, Apocalypse Please or anything else like that. Again, I know the whole stage show pretty much revolves around the new stuff, but the new stuff is pretty meh.

The problem with the set isn't enough Drones, they've already cut Reapers completely (rotated it with Revolt because it was LA, I think it's officially dead until NYC and Europe), it's how they feel the need to play literally every single hit they've ever had in a 17 song set. It sucks, and it doesn't reflect the album at all.

I'm locked into doing two more shows on this tour, and I haven't really enjoyed any of it to be honest, way too theatrical for my tastes considering what they just did for the Psycho Tour and the festivals. I hope San Diego and Vegas get something special due to the rescheduling.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

The problem with the set isn't enough Drones, they've already cut Reapers completely (rotated it with Revolt because it was LA, I think it's officially dead until NYC and Europe), it's how they feel the need to play literally every single hit they've ever had in a 17 song set. It sucks, and it doesn't reflect the album at all.

I'm locked into doing two more shows on this tour, and I haven't really enjoyed any of it to be honest, way too theatrical for my tastes considering what they just did for the Psycho Tour and the festivals. I hope San Diego and Vegas get something special due to the rescheduling.

They played Reapers in San Diego last night. They also played Apocalypse Please which owned.

the truth posted:

Too bad the set list only has 17 songs and they play recordings of Drones (twice) and Isolated System to fill time.

Someone in the band obviously smokes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 8, 2016

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Seeing rumors they're collaborating with Florence + the Machine for "Bare Necessities" in the upcoming Jungle Book movie. :lol: but they're 2 of my favorites, so it owns.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Heading to their chicago show. Heres hoping the setlist doesnt disappoint

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

zVxTeflon posted:

Heading to their chicago show. Heres hoping the setlist doesnt disappoint

I'm hoping for a Bowie riff or four.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They should just do a full cover of Starman.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope not. Theyre already not going to do enough of their own songs i wanna hear

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just got back from the show in Detroit. The majority of the setlist was Drones and BHAR (except no Assassin unfortunately), with basically just their hits from Absolution/Resistance/2nd Law and barely anything from their earlier albums.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They played Citizen Erased twice in the past week and Revolt once. Map of the Problematique has made a couple appearances, too.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
DC got the longest setlist of the tour, including Map, CE, and AP. I managed to see the first few shows, the last few and a handful in the middle so I actually heard everything they played at least once. PiB made an appearance a few times, Revolt disappeared after LA2 (?) (thank goodness), and they also quit playing UD, which is kind of disappointing to be honest because I really liked the visuals. And I'm not a big fan of that song. So sick of Resistance and yes I'm even sick of TIRO and wouldn't cry if they switched Knights with Survival as the closer once in a while. It was great on the last tour.

Also in DC, Matt said something like "the tour was too short, we need to come back next year" - so take that as you will.

Hoping for Europe they'll add a few songs, switch in a couple different rarities and maybe stick SS back in...I love that song so much live.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They are doing the European leg of the tour now, and it looks like they might actually be playing set lists that are vaguely appealing to long term fans. Sucks to be an American fan, I guess.

When I saw them there was only a 16 song set, Matt wandered around the stage for four of those songs without a guitar, and 2/3 of the drones were broken. Matt didn't mess up the solo in The Handler, though, which was a nice surprise.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Sorry to post in this thread again with my unrelenting bad vibes, but...

The one thing I keep returning to on Drones is Reapers. I guess the general consensus(?) is that it's the best song, but drat if it doesn't drive me mad with frustration, because it's so close to brilliance, yet so far.

There are so many great things about it. The opening drums are a great statement of intent, a bold, driving sound. The (lately) uncharacteristically straightforward arrangement - guitar, bass, drums, vocals, and not much else - works well. The way the song switches gears between the tapping sequences, verses, pre-chorus riff and chorus is inventive and fun; it feels like a song with a lot of different musical ideas (which is refreshing following the poverty of say, Psycho and Mercy) ... and at the same time those different ideas actually work together instead of mashing up against one another nonsensically in the name of "epic" (The Globalist). The chorus is especially good, with a truly catchy vocal melody - thank gently caress they didn't see the need for ten thousand Mercury vocal overdubs. And - holy of holies - they actually bothered to write a bridge this time!

It's so close to being fantastic, but they gently caress it up on two major counts. I know at this point complaining about Muse lyrics is like complaining that the Star Wars prequels were a bit poo poo, but jesus gently caress, if Matt could just hire a good lyricist, it would, no joke, improve his songs tenfold. It veers from tedious cliche ("I'm just a pawn and we're all expendable") to verbose gibberish ("And incidentally electronically erased by you"). This just isn't a band with the lyrical finesse to write a concept about the ethics of loving drone warfare. The song, musically, is wonderfully fun, and therefore grossly inappropriate for such a weighty lyrical theme. It's in bad taste, and it's embarrassing.

edit: I also believe that if Muse's lyrics were better - if they were less cliched and portentious, and more abstract, wry, funny even - genuinely more fun - it would go a long way to alleviating criticisms of their music as overblown and gratituous. I honestly believe the poor lyrics are the main contributor to the perception that they are a dumb band.

(I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Muse's Chvrches cover really stunned me because it was a glimpse into a parallel universe where Matt was singing lyrics that were actually good. And it was great!)

The thematic problem extends to the big riff outro. This kind of riffage works when Muse are playing live, and have the spirit of improvisation and spontaneity behind them, but on record it fails completely. The riff has no harmonic connection to the rest of the song and feels bolted on. (This is not the case with Stockholm Syndrome, for example, whose outro riff is actually a slowed-down version of the intro riff.) And it's presumably supposed to musically evoke a drone strike, but it's far too structured and mannered and produced and not at all scary, and so sounds nothing like a drone strike.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 31, 2016

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

The song, musically, is wonderfully fun, and therefore grossly inappropriate for such a weighty lyrical theme. It's in bad taste, and it's embarrassing.

Interesting observation because its a rage ripoff in at least two sections (KILLED BY DRONES= bombtrack, outro = Freedom) and RATM obviously had no problem with heavy political subject matter.

At the same time though RATM had a swagger to them that earned the bombast, like "the system is hosed but this is a song to be hype and angry and throw poo poo at cop cars to" so they are pretty "fun" in that respect. It doesen't work when the lyric is about how hosed and helpless the singer/victim is.

Muse turn into pseudo-politics in general has never felt authentic to me and always just kinda like they were running out of appropriately intense things to sing about once they outgrew teenage angst.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 31, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For a much better example of how to do this type of album -- including a song that metamorphosizes into a sonic portrayal of nuclear destruction -- look at Nine Inch Nails's "Year Zero" from 2007. (Apologies if I've basically made this post before, I can't remember.) I think what makes YZ work better is that Trent Reznor wrote in a number of different "voices", which helps break up the monotony. So it's not just one guy repeating basically the same point over and over again, and then all of a sudden, dramatic finale, and there's your concept album. It is definitely still a little ham-fisted at times, but overall, much more successful.

(I guess Muse also did that a little bit with Psycho and possibly The Globalist. Just needed to be fleshed out a little more IMO.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 31, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

massive spider posted:

Interesting observation because its a rage ripoff in at least two sections (KILLED BY DRONES= bombtrack, outro = Freedom) and RATM obviously had no problem with heavy political subject matter.

At the same time though RATM had a swagger to them that earned the bombast, like "the system is hosed but this is a song to be hype and angry and throw poo poo at cop cars to" so they are pretty "fun" in that respect. It doesen't work when the lyric is about how hosed and helpless the singer/victim is.

Yeah, I'm aware of the RATM similarities and Muse have been ripping off Rage since at least Hypermusic. Somehow RATM is different though - they had a rawer, simpler production and sound, and of course a spittin'-mad rapper instead of lispin'-histrionics Matt Bellamy.

It's also hard to make music "serious" when it features a vocoder.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also radiohead are another obvious ripoff point for muse but they too probably could have done a sick rear end track about drone warfare.

• Locked thread