Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

Also apparently "The globalist" is a "10 minute prog epic" citizen erased part 2

so now its going to either be completely amazing and what everyone wanted on the last 3 albums or utterly, utterly disappointing

You have to have good expectations to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

honestly it seems like all 3 of these songs could be fun live and muse at this point is more of a live show than a band anyone should expect a great cd from. If they can put together 6-7 new good live songs and actually play some of the good older ones thats about all I can hope for.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

What's happening to meee, it's really growing on me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dead Inside is a pretty loving good song. The lyrics are a weak point again, but the vocal style is still great. The drums and bass are sick, too. I like it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I am an adult with minimal angst, a good relationship, and a fulfilling career, and I like a song called "Dead Inside." What the gently caress?

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvK-pUnhmQ8

It's pretty good live as well.

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005
I don't hate Dead Inside but it's not what I'm looking for from a Muse record and like The Resistance I probably wouldn't listen to it ever again after a few months.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dead inside is much better than psycho.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
I actually think Dead Inside shows off just how good Matt is as a singer, his delivery is great and this song shows off a lot of his range. This song is growing on me! Speaking of range...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XqzCBZ9BfA

Micro Cuts anyone?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

dead inside is the first muse song to get stuck in my head since BH&R, so thats something.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

An 11 minute behind the scenes making-of video for The Globalist + Defector has leaked. And it sounds awesome.

edit: they keep taking down the videos on youtube..

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 30, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Paperback Writer posted:

An 11 minute behind the scenes making-of video for The Globalist has leaked. And it sounds awesome.
http://goo.gl/fb/xNAARR

Spaghetti Western Muse is Good Muse.

I dug most of what I heard in that. Has me a little more excited for the album now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Another link, the Vimeo one was taken down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuFrRoMoIE

Defector sounds so good. And that synth it ends on, holy gently caress if that segues into the next track... :fap:

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

I cannot wait, this is the Muse I wanted!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sounds like the riff Matt was playing in the muted video a couple months ago was The Globalist.

Some Like it Scott
Jun 25, 2004

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY JESUS!!!
Any other links to that video? I hope I didn't miss out :(

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=922691661116321&set=vb.460180027367489&type=2&theater

Some Like it Scott fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 30, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A little news but nothing huge. I'll try to summarize:

• Muse are playing some early-May shows in NYC and LA. There were pre-sale codes emailed out but apparently they're faulty (as is the ticket website) and a lot of fans are getting pissed that they can't buy tickets.

• Muse will play the BBC Radio 1 Big Weekend festival near the end of May, Matt has said they'll debut 1 or 2 more songs there!

• The tracklisting for the bonus DVD was released on Warner Music Japan's website. It has live recordings of Dead Inside, Psycho, Reapers and The Handler from the UK shows. "Wait, The Handler was played?" Yes, it was apparently soundchecked before one of the shows and they recorded footage of it! The DVD will also have the requisite making-of documentary.

• There's some album-listening party in the US on May 8th. A bunch of fans will get to go and listen to the whole thing (and probably record it secretly for the rest of us!). No word on how to get tickets to this yet.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I was listening to Absolution, noticed something and listened to the two new songs again. I double checked The Resistance and 2nd Law and I think I can reveal Muse have made their biggest musical diversion with their new record.

Either Matt has developed a new breathing technique or the producer has muted his 'quick but noisy breath before the next line' that screams out to me on all their early albums. I felt breathless on his behalf, poor sod.

This is like when Dylan went electric.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Once someone pointed out the 'UAAAUH' intake before each line in the earlier stuff, I have never been able to unhear it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The most irritating vocal thing Matt does is that first "I" in Madness. He starts low and drags it up a whole octave like someone pulling a string of anal beads out of their rear end.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
All those vocal ticks are completely awesome, though.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Dead inside proper video is up:

https://youtu.be/I5sJhSNUkwQ

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Kinda boring. I feel like I've seen so many interpretive dancing videos lately. Think I prefer the lyric video.

Also, I'm seeing Muse in a couple weeks! It's a lovely Southern California radio show at an amphitheater, but gently caress it.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Paperback Writer posted:

Kinda boring. I feel like I've seen so many interpretive dancing videos lately. Think I prefer the lyric video.

Also, I'm seeing Muse in a couple weeks! It's a lovely Southern California radio show at an amphitheater, but gently caress it.

Hey me too! I'm gonna be at the Mayan though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Muse played a tiny gig in NY tonight and debuted Mercy. Cribbing info from Reddit and forums:

quote:

According to a Facebook post mentioned on the Muse.mu forum, Mercy is a "good blended rock song, very electric, not heavy but not soft, good bassline".

Another post on the Muse.mu forum indicates that it's "very different from the other songs so far, no guitar solo, and is indeed dark."

@musehysteria27 New song Mercy.. really good. That falsetto. Absolutely beautiful vocals. #AmazingMuseWeekend

@Seaphire Mercy toward the end gets nice and melodic on bass thats all i know

@wewantthecup Don't know how to describe it to be honest. I know that the bassline was great, and I liked the performance of it. Hard to know what it'll sound like on the record.

@zissou10 Mercy is ok, Something between Glorious and Guiding Light, Glorious like chorus.

@nomarpagan Mercy was.... interesting? It was very lackluster until the chorus hit. The chorus sounded heavy as gently caress. It's definitely single material.

Someone on a forum: "It definitely sounds most similar to glorious. Lots of power chord usage, not guitar solo. Song starts with a bassline and a keyboard melody. Wasn't poppy in any way though. Tough for me to make out vocals but it seemed darkish in nature. Not a lot of falsetto If any"

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 10, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Update: Okay I have a bootleg of the song now! It sounds a lot like Starlight. Upbeat. Piano in the verse, some arpeggios in the chorus I think. Chorus goes "Show me... MERRRRCYYYY, from the... POWERS THAT BE".

edit: https://soundcloud.com/user234799314/mercy

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 10, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

henpod posted:

Once someone pointed out the 'UAAAUH' intake before each line in the earlier stuff, I have never been able to unhear it.

I've heard that when a producer suggested taking them out they decided on leaving them in because it "adds urgency"

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

https://soundcloud.com/gregwood1/mercy

Someone from the official board made a rough instrumental cut of the track that sounds pretty accurate. If anyone missed the song before it was pulled, the vocals add to the bare bones chorus and will probably have some falsetto. The lyrics were mostly unintelligible.

Edit: the bridge didn't sound quite that basic, but the quality of the bootleg was poor.

the truth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 10, 2015

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I wonder what the record company thinks it's achieving by pulling these bootlegs.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Popcorn posted:

I wonder what the record company thinks it's achieving by pulling these bootlegs.

They should just tell the band not to play any unreleased material, to be honest. If that's the stance they want to take, of course.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

http://www.gigwise.com/news/100431/muse-say-drones-is-their-best-album-ever

quote:

A lot has been said about the concept of the record, its heavier sound and the origin and inspiration of many of the tracks, but now frontman Matt Bellamy has told iHeartRadio that they prefer it above all of their other records.

"I can say this - this album is our best album," said Bellamy. "I haven't been able to say that for a while, but this album is our best album - so feel free to start on this one," before joking "just don't worry about the others."

Speaking of their reputation as a stellar live band and what to expect from their upcoming shows, Bellamy said: "I think we're just a dying breed. We're the last ones left.

"We're actually starting out doing festivals which are going to be a bit more basic because we can't control the arena, but when we get into the arenas we're going to be taking it a step further. Obviously with an album called Drones, it's perfect...if the album will let us borrow a couple."
"I haven't been able to say that for a while" lol.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Reading that section as a whole it sounds like he is joking around as that is the thing he has to say.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Attention Muse fans!

Mercy will be debuted on BBC Radio 1 next Monday evening UK time (on Annie Mac's show) — a music/lyric video is being edited right now and might be available then too.

But before then are the two Los Angeles shows on Fri & Sat night!

There'll be a live webcast of the Saturday show. Info here: http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2015/05/11/watch-the-kroq-weenie-roast-y-fiesta-live-webcast-this-saturday/

Muse will be on at 10:10pm Pacific time. That's:
• Sydney - Sunday 3:10pm (gently caress yes, it's going to be an awesome Sunday arvo)
• London - Sunday 6:10am
• NYC - Sunday 1:10am

Expect the first pro-shot live vids of all the new songs! Exciting times :)

edit: Also, here's the official single artwork for Dead Inside:

The back cover is that weapon-head thing holding the baby from the Psycho video.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 15, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That looks like something an angry 15 year old would draw.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you like that, here's the deluxe vinyl+CD set packaging:

All the art this time around is by Matt Mahurin, who is pretty much an angry 15 year old.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

I was listening to Absolution, noticed something and listened to the two new songs again. I double checked The Resistance and 2nd Law and I think I can reveal Muse have made their biggest musical diversion with their new record.

Either Matt has developed a new breathing technique or the producer has muted his 'quick but noisy breath before the next line' that screams out to me on all their early albums. I felt breathless on his behalf, poor sod.

This is like when Dylan went electric.

This started with BHaR, either he learned proper breath control or they've been more aggressive in editing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Reminder that you can watch Muse live on a free webcast here: http://kroq.cbslocal.com/show/weenie-roast-y-fiesta-2015/

They start in about two and a half hours from now. Check my post slightly up the page for timezone conversions.

There's some pretty good bands on before them too! The following is all LA time:

7:30pm – Panic! At The Disco
8:10pm – Death Cab For Cutie
8:50pm – Florence + The Machine
9:30pm – Of Monsters And Men
10:10pm – Muse

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Can't wait!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Me either, buddy! :D

Starts in 10 minutes! I really hope they play Mercy and Reapers, but there's a chance they won't because this is a live-stream and they want to save the pro-shot goodness for the album's bonus DVD.

I also REALLY hope they get a longer set than the 40 minutes or so every other band had tonight. Maybe they will, because they're the headliners & final act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

If we get one of those I will be happy, but we are at least going to get some new pro shots of the older songs so I am excited.

Also, I have a huge crush on Nanna.

• Locked thread