Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheSteelCurtain posted:

Also, I have a huge crush on Nanna.

I really want to like Of Monsters And Men but I don't think I can because of how much they utterly rip off Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes. Seriously, several of the songs are carbon copies of Sharpe's stuff. It's kind of assholish of them.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLdwvAdgyc - Dirty Paws and Little Talks being the offending songs.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Hedrigall posted:

I really want to like Of Monsters And Men but I don't think I can because of how much they utterly rip off Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes. Seriously, several of the songs are carbon copies of Sharpe's stuff. It's kind of assholish of them.

I agree, and they really don't have much variety in their music.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The stage at this venue is like Numberwang every time a band changes. "Let's rotate the board!"

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Hedrigall posted:

The stage at this venue is like Numberwang every time a band changes. "Let's rotate the board!"

Haha, I feel like I am watching an old 60's music variety show, what a weird set up.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wow this sure is a great camera angle... that hasn't changed in 5 minutes.

edit: okay they fixed it haha

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

I know! Nothing like looking at Morgan the whole show. Is Chris wearing a hairpiece? So far so good, Dead Inside was pretty drat good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheSteelCurtain posted:

I know! Nothing like looking at Morgan the whole show. Is Chris wearing a hairpiece? So far so good, Dead Inside was pretty drat good.

Chris got hairplugs. I kinda miss his bear-y look.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Chris got hairplugs. I kinda miss his bear-y look.

It looks a little weird, and drat Matt sure is jumping around a lot tonight.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Just noticed there's no piano on stage. That means no New Born, Apocalypse Please, etc :(

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Just noticed there's no piano on stage. That means no New Born, Apocalypse Please, etc :(

:(

Did you hear Matt diss the crowd before Hysteria? Hahaha.

"It's not a good time all the time, that's the general vibe here"

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I like how Matt kicks over the amps and then the dude has to go put them back up because the sets not over.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So far this is the exact iHeartRadio setlist from NYC, except swap out Mercy for Resistance

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2015/iheartradio-theater-new-york-ny-4bc81706.html

If that's true, then Reapers, Starlight and Man With Harmonica/Knights are left.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress YES, REAPERS!

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Yes! Reapers.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought that was a new song starting there. Nope, Starlight :(

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I thought that was a new song starting there. Nope, Starlight :(

Same. I'm glad we got a pro shot of Reapers though, the outro is loving HEAVY.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

TheSteelCurtain posted:

Same. I'm glad we got a pro shot of Reapers though, the outro is loving HEAVY.

Yeah it's pretty loving phenomenal. I NEED that outro to be on the album version.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Good show but a little too short, loved that they brought back the old school outro riff for KoC.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Muse were amazing as usual, but this is (one of the many reasons) why I hate festivals:

Wait all day & night for the band you really want to see, then hear 10 songs and go home.

Can't wait for the proper album tour when they go back to their usual 20-25 song set lengths. I mean, look at this monster: http://www.musewiki.org/Tokyo_International_Forum_2007_%28gig%29

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Muse were amazing as usual, but this is (one of the many reasons) why I hate festivals:

Wait all day & night for the band you really want to see, then hear 10 songs and go home.

Can't wait for the proper album tour when they go back to their usual 20-25 song set lengths. I mean, look at this monster: http://www.musewiki.org/Tokyo_International_Forum_2007_%28gig%29

I have seen them twice, hopefully they play smaller venues this time around but I doubt it. I just hope that they bring the sets they have been playing lately over to the US. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Iq4EfhElk

Reapers video already up, thanks internet.

TheSteelCurtain fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 17, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Next up is the Mercy debut!

Here's a useful countdown to Annie Mac's Monday night show, which starts at 7pm in the UK.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150518T19&p0=136&msg=Mercy+debut&csz=1

Note: Mercy is Hottest Record of the week, expect it to be played half an hour or an hour into the show.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
WELP, Mercy has leaked!

It's great! Awesome chorus harmonies, loving the synths in the pre-chorus.

Hands down my favourite of the 4 songs we've heard.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 17, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It took me about 47 seconds to find a download link, but it's a zip and I'm on my phone. Can't find a stream and I'm about to get on a flight.

Edit: there are zip apps for the iPhone :ssh:

the truth fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 17, 2015

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Good song!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Muse's slow transformation into U2 is the twist no one expected. Or wanted.

This is another non-event of a song. Strange mixing on this one. The chugging guitars are really quiet in the chorus.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Nope, I'm with Popcorn. This is all production, zero songwriting. The songs we've heard so far are a completely mixed bag for me.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

This poo poo sounds like the b-sides they were putting out for BHAR.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

reapers is really good. mercy is eh, but i think it could be fun live. So far all these songs make me want to see muse live again, but not really listen to their cd that much. They've always been a better live band, but it seems like the gap has gotten larger.

quote:

Muse's slow transformation into U2 is the twist no one expected.
Really? Seemed like the very obvious route, for better or worse.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Not from OoS, it didn't. But then that was ten thousand years ago.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
I was at both the NYC/LA gigs the past couple weeks. Trip report from a guy in the double digits for shows:

Psycho gets the crowd moving better than any opener I've seen.

Dead Inside is alright, my least favorite of the three new ones I've caught in person. It just lacks the energy that psycho and reapers force on you.

Reapers is fantastic live, and that outro annihilates in person. Shook me to my core, I think the sound guys cranked up the volume for it.

They busted out hyper music on request in LA, which was impressive given how rehearsed/scripted their shows have been the past few years. It's a great live song and should be in their regular set. The crowd chanted for dead star following it. Matt laughed and said gently caress no.

Assassin is a monster live, my god. I can't describe how massive the GOB outro sounds. It's just so meaty.

Matt is on his game. He's playing everything he can on guitar, save the parts he shouldn't- New Born gets the proper piano intro. Awesome falsetto in bliss. Less false bravado and more genuine rocking, at least from my view. He just seems to be way tighter overall.

Madness is a good breather in between heavier songs and is infinitely better without the gimmicks (visuals, glasses).

Dom plays the double tempo parts of Apocalypse Please I first noticed at Wembley, it's really hard not to dance to. So good.

Stockholm Syndrome + the outro riffs are worth the price of admission alone.

Starlight still sucks.

I'm glad plug in baby has been missing from the sets. It was getting beyond tired, though not as bad as feeling good.

All said the two shows have totally rekindled what was a dwindling interest in their live show.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I was at Weenie Roast and thought it was good though I wouldn't rank it very high among their other shows I've seen. To my surprise I thought Psycho and Dead Inside were real highlights. Still think Reapers stinks and don't understand it at all. I never catch myself wishing a song was already over like that one. The very last notes at the end were definitely badass though and very... Muse. Really I think I'm just a little burned out on all the tracks that have been played a million times, probably my own fault for seeing them 10+ times.

Still looking forward to the arena tour though!

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
I saw the setlist for weenie roast, it'd definitely be tough to get amped up with that lineup at the 10+ shows mark.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah, really should have gone to the Mayan show...

Only chose Weenie Roast cause I'm a bit obsessed with Florence at the moment, but those short rear end sets were weak.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lyric video up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5bjJzJ-T4c

I kinda like it.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Popcorn posted:

Not from OoS, it didn't. But then that was ten thousand years ago.

oh, yeah i agree. I just meant over the last 10 years or so.

quote:

I'm glad plug in baby has been missing from the sets. It was getting beyond tired, though not as bad as feeling good.

you're a monster

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Mercy's pretty wank, feels like it belongs on 2nd Law

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mfcrocker posted:

Mercy's pretty wank, feels like it belongs on 2nd Law

Or a Coldplay album. Not a huge fan, and this is from someone who doesn't mind "Starlight" that much.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Or a Coldplay album. Not a huge fan, and this is from someone who doesn't mind "Starlight" that much.
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

G-Hawk posted:

oh, yeah i agree. I just meant over the last 10 years or so.

you're a monster

Haha don't get me wrong, I like the song. It's just been on every setlist forever and after a few shows I just wanna get Fury in there ONCE

• Locked thread