Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Paperback Writer posted:

Kinda boring. I feel like I've seen so many interpretive dancing videos lately. Think I prefer the lyric video.

Also, I'm seeing Muse in a couple weeks! It's a lovely Southern California radio show at an amphitheater, but gently caress it.

Hey me too! I'm gonna be at the Mayan though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
I was at both the NYC/LA gigs the past couple weeks. Trip report from a guy in the double digits for shows:

Psycho gets the crowd moving better than any opener I've seen.

Dead Inside is alright, my least favorite of the three new ones I've caught in person. It just lacks the energy that psycho and reapers force on you.

Reapers is fantastic live, and that outro annihilates in person. Shook me to my core, I think the sound guys cranked up the volume for it.

They busted out hyper music on request in LA, which was impressive given how rehearsed/scripted their shows have been the past few years. It's a great live song and should be in their regular set. The crowd chanted for dead star following it. Matt laughed and said gently caress no.

Assassin is a monster live, my god. I can't describe how massive the GOB outro sounds. It's just so meaty.

Matt is on his game. He's playing everything he can on guitar, save the parts he shouldn't- New Born gets the proper piano intro. Awesome falsetto in bliss. Less false bravado and more genuine rocking, at least from my view. He just seems to be way tighter overall.

Madness is a good breather in between heavier songs and is infinitely better without the gimmicks (visuals, glasses).

Dom plays the double tempo parts of Apocalypse Please I first noticed at Wembley, it's really hard not to dance to. So good.

Stockholm Syndrome + the outro riffs are worth the price of admission alone.

Starlight still sucks.

I'm glad plug in baby has been missing from the sets. It was getting beyond tired, though not as bad as feeling good.

All said the two shows have totally rekindled what was a dwindling interest in their live show.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
I saw the setlist for weenie roast, it'd definitely be tough to get amped up with that lineup at the 10+ shows mark.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

G-Hawk posted:

oh, yeah i agree. I just meant over the last 10 years or so.

you're a monster

Haha don't get me wrong, I like the song. It's just been on every setlist forever and after a few shows I just wanna get Fury in there ONCE

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

electricHyena posted:

Mercy is really growing on me - I actually didn't like it much the first few listens. Too upbeat and poppy I guess. My favorite so far is still Dead Inside.

Nice. I was also at both small gigs and was just blown away. Psycho was absolutely loving insane. I was so pumped up just in anticipation - the crowd just went nuts when it started - I'm surprised the roof didn't come off the place. The crowd in NYC was better, but the Mayan gig had Assassin and Hyper Music - basically two of the top songs on my "probably will never hear live" list. Could have done without Madness, tbh.

Hey that's awesome! I only ran into one other person who did both, he was the Toronto dude asking the Mayan line for a ticket (looked like he got one). Yeah totally agreed on Psycho, the anticipation translated 1:1 to energy when that riff hit, everyone started jumping. In NYC I was in one of the crazier parts of the crowd off to the right, in front of Chris. In LA I was in what looked like the only energetic part to the left in front of Matt.

I was super happy to see The Groove but I would've taken Fury over that in a heartbeat. There's also no beating the version you can see in that Absolution Tour DVD extra.

I remember what sounded like the amps giving out at the end of Assassin, it was so low and growly that they sounded as if they were struggling. Insane.

One notable song I forgot to mention was Animals, I actually really like that song when it's part of the setlists we got. I found during the 2nd Law tour I was just so deflated for most of the set that Animals didn't do much for me, but in NYC/LA it worked great. I'd take anything pre-2nd law over madness for sure.

Sidenote on NYC, it sounds like a bunch of people got mono from a shared water bottle that got sprayed onto the crowd. Rough.

KillerMojo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 20, 2015

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
gently caress I'm really digging Mercy, egh.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Popcorn posted:

I listened to The 2nd Law again yesterday.

Aside from the avatar, I can always identify your posts through that seething repugnance for the band you've been brooding for a while now. While I don't disagree with your points (after stripping away a bit of the hyperbole anyway), the amplitude of your disdain has me wondering why you even bother at this point. I'd love to hear what redeeming qualities the band retains that keeps Popcorn checking the SA Muse thread.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
Yeah can we all take a moment to reflect on how bad they could have hosed up The Handler with one of the common trappings from the last couple albums (chants, grating sound clips, dubstep, freddie mercuryish vocal harmonies [which have their place but not here]). I agree with the lack of action in the solo but overall this one comes out in the black.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Popcorn posted:

FUN TASK: listen to the live version of Plug in Baby on the Newborn single. (It's on Spotify.) It sounds remarkably raw, ragged... unanthemic. We'll never hear Muse sound like that again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUE3-mZVy8

I lament this transition:

From here in 2004:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuUwQW2KvVw

To here in 2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEvAU7H81uI

It's just a totally different experience.

I can't really articulate why I'm not a big fan of the newer versions aside from finding the vocals flat. The Fury live performances have gotten a little better since then, but for me the song has collapsed following the advent of clean Muse. Oh well. I'd still love to see it in person.

KillerMojo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 3, 2015

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

johnsonrod posted:

Looking back through the thread, I've seen a lot of words and phrases repeated."Interesting", "Fine", "After a few more listens", "Pretty cool", "Not bad"........

To me that isn't the way I want to have to describe Muse songs. Stockholm Syndrome is heavy as gently caress and amazing, Plug in Baby is awesome, Citizen Erased is one of the best songs of all time and Sing for Absolution still sends shivers down my spine when I hear the live recording from HAARP.

While I agree with the sentiment, the earlier stuff definitely took me a few spins to 'get', but once the hook was set...

johnsonrod posted:

As Popcorn said, even if we don't enjoy their new stuff we still might enjoy discussing it with fellow Muse fans.

Yeah it's the fan part that I think some aren't totally convinced on. Read the post history. Not that it matters, it's about having fun making GBS threads on discussing Muse.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Paperback Writer posted:

Heh, glad to help. If memory serves right it surfaced during The Resistance era and Matt let Adam Lambert have it for his album. It's funny because no one really seemed to even care and it was a nice song but not that remarkable, but it puts these new ballads to shame.

Seriously, wow. I had listened to it in that era and thought it was good. Comparing it to the ballads of the last couple albums it's on a different level. Such a deliciously Musey bridge.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
Matt's said he's more concerned with making the lyrics sound right in a song from a vocal perspective, and that they're the last part of the process for him (as if that needed to be confirmed). Alright fine, I would agree with that if they're going to make them totally indecipherable anyway (microcuts is just random words thrown together), but since BHAR he's been working on a cleaner vocal style that emphasizes his lovely lyrics over using his voice as another instrument in the mix. Can't have both sides of it, Bellamy.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

GTO posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever been at a Muse gig listening to Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts or Dead Star and thought 'you know this is too metal, I wish they'd play madness or guiding light'?

I've been to shows where the crowd goes from 'standing politely listening with reasonable sway' to immediate circle pit in one song, complete with wide-eyed fans who suddenly realize they're in way over their head. Dead star is definitely one of those songs that will do it. In LA I saw a 40-year old lady hit the floor after taking a hit at the opening of Assassin. She seemed really into SMBH immediately prior, I imagine she would've preferred Madness over Assassin.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Popcorn posted:

What the gently caress is happening during Apocalypse Please in this performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20aW3P4YYnA

Did Matt wander offstage to throw up or something?

He's out of the shot on piano. His mic must have cut out like it did during the handler, though not as long as this. Almost seems like the mic was totally non-functional to start.

(~37:30 in the video for anyone wondering)

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
Ah interesting, I just noticed he's reading the lyrics. Maybe that's why he keeps his songs so simple, it's been memory issues all along.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

AlexF posted:

Pyro, confetti, everything. I rocked out so hard at that moment and then, after the song, looked around and people were just gone. It was really strange.

Yeah I totally commiserate here, the catalog already brings out everyone and their mother (literally). The US leg of the psycho tour had a bunch of smaller groups throwing down but nothing congealing into a big "dis be the throwdown spot". That stage is gonna further fracture things.. Maybe one side will be more "Matt's side" which usually ends up being the rowdy section.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
He pulled a guitar out halfway through Uprising and Dead Inside, looks like he jumps in from the solo forward (so he can outro riff as well). The fan community always, always loses their poo poo at the first show of a new tour but by the end of it after everyone has gone to a show the tone will change.

Not defending Muse for the short sets or putting Morgan in a hole. The drones they hyped up are massively underwhelming too. I'm really not a fan of the setlist at all, SS going the way of New Born is a crime especially with UD and all the backing tracks filling up time.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Madkal posted:

I understand that they can't play all the older stuff, but they could have easily cut away 3 or so songs from Drones to make way for Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Plug in Babe, Apocalypse Please or anything else like that. Again, I know the whole stage show pretty much revolves around the new stuff, but the new stuff is pretty meh.

Welcome to being a live Muse fan, you're in for a rough ride

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Madkal posted:

Pulled it from this post. Guess it's just a European setlist thing.

Yeah it was from the psycho tour, they played similar sets in NYC and LA as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams
Yeah I remember hearing Supermassive Black Hole as the first single. Prior to that the only new stuff was early live recordings of Assassin, Exo-Politics, and Glorious. Awesome songs, especially the thunderous Assassin. I actually recall seeing Glorious live during that period.

Anyway, hearing SMBH as the first recorded song was totally underwhelming. I only needed to spin it a few times before I got supremely bored of it. I still remember my reaction after hearing Assassin on the album, it was just so flat and lifeless compared to the earthshaking live version. The Muse message boards were full of hardcore fans in full-on denial, which carried through all the way to 2nd Law where I feel like a lot of the hardcore fans bailed entirely. Look at muselive now, the last post was November. That site used to be a hive of energy related to the band. It's a shame.

• Locked thread