Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm a HUGE Muse fan and have some hope for this bringing the rock judging from last year's Coachella performance/setlist. Bands rarely stay good into their 30's so gonna have to be realistic but I don't think we have another new rock-bottom coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I'm a poor 25 year old working hourly but god dammit I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it to a European stadium next time. Got to be Wembley right?

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 20, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

If you can! Personally I prefer them in arenas
I've seen them in arenas in America but the stadium production/setlists are on another level and probably a once in a lifetime chance for a fanboy like me. And I want an insane crowd!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

cool riff
http://instagram.com/p/yx9GHCHXRJ/

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I hope the artwork/visuals for this album don't give me nightmares. And I wasn't really a fan of Animals live because of that dumb video.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what the gently caress?

I blame Kate Hudson for this. Matt has finally lost it. I mean I guess bizarre and raw is better than what could've come after The 2nd Law..

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

It was a joke!

I really have no idea why they're going with these disturbing visuals out of nowhere.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

oh poo poo today's the day.

e: yeah nothing to see here... no Muse on Zane. QOTSA's Song For The Dead as his final record was pretty sweet though.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 5, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Sigh... It's probably going to be an album full of Animals' and MK Ultra's which aren't anywhere near their best rock songs.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Psycho is apparently coming in 20 minutes

You can listen to 1 minute of it in the iTunes Store
http://fb.me/7s84Awo5P

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

yeah the drill sergeant and added silliness they love now pretty much ruin it for me. At least it won't be a set-killer?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Popcorn posted:

"I'll improve your thresholds!"

I noticed something weird recently. Any terrible Muse lyric suddenly becomes brilliant and quirky and savage if you imagine Bjork singing it instead. I don't know why, but it's true.

"Embedded spies / brainwashing our children / to be meaaaaan ~~"
:lol:
And you're so right about the songwriting.

well the SEKDEK stuff ended up looking pretty cool after all.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Deathlove posted:

That song is exactly what a Muse song with that album art, with Drill Sergeant as a temp name, in 2015, is going to be.
No, the worst part is that's an entirely seperate song.

but Mr Drill Sergeant isn't on the album version of Psycho! (going by Spotify)

e: ah nevermind, just the intro. And actually using logic, one can assume [Drill Sergeant] is the same intro. And [JFK] is probably something like 1:15 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf5bagQ5LOE
man how good was the 06-07 tour...

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 13, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Oh thank christ

E: we listening to the same track? Only drill sergeant removed is the intro one
haha ah gently caress... I was quick to post or must have tuned it out of my brain...

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

... :2bong:

quote:

Belfast Ulster Hall
15 March 2015
------------------
Psycho
Plug In Baby
Fury
Uno
Interlude
Hysteria
Stockholm Syndrome + Micro Cuts riff outro
Hyper Music (Voodoo Child riff intro)
Agitated + riff outro
Supermassive Black Hole
Assassin (tease)
Unnatural Selection
Uprising (extended outro)
Knights of Cydonia (Man with a Harmonica intro)

Encore:
Animals
Time Is Running Out
Reapers
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CALO99IWwAAu2f4.jpg

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

From the sound of things, Reapers(just like their other new songs) has good bits like some of the guitar parts and the verse(?) but it's such a mess of ideas thrown at the wall that doesn't really make sense.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Also the arpeggio has been missing. They've done so many good ones and when done right it gives them their sound.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Not fair. I'm sure America will get Guiding Light , Save Me, and Undisclosed Desires instead.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Some really good parts, some bad parts. When it started I was like :wtf: is this Phil Collins?

I like how Matt sings this one

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

What's happening to meee, it's really growing on me.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

An 11 minute behind the scenes making-of video for The Globalist + Defector has leaked. And it sounds awesome.

edit: they keep taking down the videos on youtube..

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 30, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Kinda boring. I feel like I've seen so many interpretive dancing videos lately. Think I prefer the lyric video.

Also, I'm seeing Muse in a couple weeks! It's a lovely Southern California radio show at an amphitheater, but gently caress it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

http://www.gigwise.com/news/100431/muse-say-drones-is-their-best-album-ever

quote:

A lot has been said about the concept of the record, its heavier sound and the origin and inspiration of many of the tracks, but now frontman Matt Bellamy has told iHeartRadio that they prefer it above all of their other records.

"I can say this - this album is our best album," said Bellamy. "I haven't been able to say that for a while, but this album is our best album - so feel free to start on this one," before joking "just don't worry about the others."

Speaking of their reputation as a stellar live band and what to expect from their upcoming shows, Bellamy said: "I think we're just a dying breed. We're the last ones left.

"We're actually starting out doing festivals which are going to be a bit more basic because we can't control the arena, but when we get into the arenas we're going to be taking it a step further. Obviously with an album called Drones, it's perfect...if the album will let us borrow a couple."
"I haven't been able to say that for a while" lol.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I was at Weenie Roast and thought it was good though I wouldn't rank it very high among their other shows I've seen. To my surprise I thought Psycho and Dead Inside were real highlights. Still think Reapers stinks and don't understand it at all. I never catch myself wishing a song was already over like that one. The very last notes at the end were definitely badass though and very... Muse. Really I think I'm just a little burned out on all the tracks that have been played a million times, probably my own fault for seeing them 10+ times.

Still looking forward to the arena tour though!

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah, really should have gone to the Mayan show...

Only chose Weenie Roast cause I'm a bit obsessed with Florence at the moment, but those short rear end sets were weak.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Or a Coldplay album. Not a huge fan, and this is from someone who doesn't mind "Starlight" that much.
:agreed:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I just realized, the Weenie Roast gig had no songs from The 2nd Law. Pretty cool.

No Madness/Time Is Running Out is pretty big. Besides Starlight, definitely their biggest radio hits here.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Reapers will be forever ruined as "that song where you can easily sing Madonna's 'Express Yourself' over the chorus" for me.
Yep chorus ruins it for me.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Reapers is brilliant, for the record. Best song they've put out in a decade, almost entirely on the strength of that pre-chorus breakdown.
Huh, the cheesy "DRONES" part?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Wow, love at first listen. Haven't said that in a long time.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah that's a couple months old. Those songs gonna own.

But holy poo poo you guys, The Handler is seriously a loving good song. Finally.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I really love the bass in this, mainly during the chorus. Fantastic sound production for all instruments really.

And thank you Muse for not including some silly squeal or chant just for the hell of it as you so like to do now.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

first listen through: Mercy, Revolt, Aftermath, and Drones are garbage. It's like having 4 Guiding Lights. But if I get rid of those it's a pretty good album. Not nearly what Muse has been capable of, but let's be real... this is album 7. Every musician seems to drop off creatively, and I'm pretty grateful to just enjoy a handful of these songs. REALLY like The Handler and also Dead Inside.

The Globalist is no Citizen Erased sequel, what the hell is Matt talking about. I really like it too until the later parts.
E: oh yeah I haven't seen it mentioned, but a lot of The Globalist is the song Soaked but totally re-done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBdchwRWjIY

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 3, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Revolt sounds like The Killers imo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

If there's one good thing this album has done, it has brought Soaked to my attention. I never heard it before.
Heh, glad to help. If memory serves right it surfaced during The Resistance era and Matt let Adam Lambert have it for his album. It's funny because no one really seemed to even care and it was a nice song but not that remarkable, but it puts these new ballads to shame.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Admoon posted:

I'd never heard this before, it's amazing...
That repeating clip was on one of the HAARP DVD menus as perhaps the biggest cocktease ever.

They also didn't include Citizen Erased and Bliss :argh:

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

electricHyena posted:

That is disappointing about the DVD -- I love their 'making of' docs. But I am super excited to see that live video for the Handler.
This exists?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Oh neat.

Just like I enjoy the edited version of Unsustainable I have without the "dubstep" breakdowns, I think I could use a fade-out after the heavy part of The Globalist and right before Afternath turns into Shania Twain's "From This Moment" and Bryan Adams.

E: here's a cool little Globalist easter egg btw
http://youtu.be/DFA7F3aIwIQ

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 6, 2015

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I love Soldier's Poem.

I know I'm in the minority but I think BHaR is their most complete record. Maybe my favorite album of all time even. The only song that hasn't stood the test of time THAT much for me is Invincible, and even that is pretty good for being cheesy. Play Hoodoo, Exo-Politics, or City of Delusion live sometime boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Ok we just got two pro-Revolt posts in a row, let's calm down a bit here guys.

• Locked thread