Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm struggling with something on provisioning GKE resources using helm. For typical workloads, where you have one Deployment with one Service and one ServiceAccount, I've got it well figured out. I think. At least things are working well.

But now I'm trying to deploy Jobs using helm. The pattern is multiple jobs launched with different parameters (the alternative was setting up a queue and using parallel mode but this was easier). This means many Jobs, one ServiceAccount. I set up the charts similarly to the Deployment charts. When I go to helm install these jobs, the first one works fine, but then all the subsequent ones fail because the ServiceAccount already exists. I should add that the ServiceAccount gets his permissions using the iam-policy-binding between GCP service accounts and k8s service accounts.

The first thing is, I guess there is no way to say, it's OK if it exists? If not, I see several possibilities. We could use a unique service account for each Job, which would mean that we would have to also run the iam-policy-binding for each Job deploy. Or, we could separate the ServiceAccount from the chart, and when deploying a chunk of jobs, first use kubectl to directly create the service account, then install the serviceaccount-less chart for each job. Or I guess, combine the Jobs into one Job by setting up a work queue. Am I missing something easier? Any suggestions here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This is a helm is stupid problem. if you rendered out the yaml kubernetes would happily let you do applies on top of each other, as it’s designed as a convergent API.

Helm is very dumb and tries to make everything atomic. Remove the Service Account from the helm chart or rewrite it so that there is one master service account and all the jobs reference it. If that’s not possible then you’ll probably need to separate it out as it’s own unique chart.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks, makes sense. Yeah, that seems to be the easiest option.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can think of like 3 paid products that do this off the top of my head

Is there a free script that will scan your AWS infrastructure, check to make sure any SG that aren't white listed, don't have 5432, 22, 80 etc open to 0.0.0.0/0 and then emails out a report

This seems like 20 lines of Python but I don't feel like writing it

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Hadlock posted:

I can think of like 3 paid products that do this off the top of my head

Is there a free script that will scan your AWS infrastructure, check to make sure any SG that aren't white listed, don't have 5432, 22, 80 etc open to 0.0.0.0/0 and then emails out a report

This seems like 20 lines of Python but I don't feel like writing it

Yeah you could do it with 20 lines of python, but I think that's only the tip of the iceberg about what can go wrong with AWS security configs

What about s3 buckets open to the world, AWS keys that haven't been rotated, etc?

At my company we used RedLock to monitor this stuff. Even creates Jira tickets automatically when it finds poo poo

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

We've used ScoutSuite in the past with reasonable success: https://github.com/nccgroup/ScoutSuite. But now we're starting a project to roll out Config to all of our accounts and set Organisation-level compliance rules.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Some of that stuff is free via trusted advisor isn’t it? https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/technology/trusted-advisor/best-practice-checklist/

I don’t know what the costs are if you did everything, but if it saves you time it might be worth it.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I think AWS Inspector has a "network reachability" report of some kind that will report anything accessible from the public internet.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/inspector/latest/userguide/inspector_network-reachability.html

I didn't touch this one myself, so I dunno if it's easy to get that info and just grep, but AWS does tout how it's based on cool automated reasoning stuff to ensure everything it reports is real.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

whats for dinner posted:

We've used ScoutSuite in the past with reasonable success: https://github.com/nccgroup/ScoutSuite. But now we're starting a project to roll out Config to all of our accounts and set Organisation-level compliance rules.

This is what we do with our relatively-large Org w/ a bunch of child accounts. All the Config results go through an aggregator to our Infosec team's account so they get a dashboard of everyone else's resource compliance. (We're probably going to have to wire the config SNS topic up to something too, so we can get better active notifications in external systems.)

We did end up writing a bunch of "Custom Rules" w/ a forked version of rdklib since the AWS managed rules don't do exemptions/allowlists and we have a bunch of corner cases and stuff for networking rules. All the custom rules are managed in TF so it's pretty simple to add new ones / promote changes through our different env's root accounts.

e: also we interact with Control Tower which creates a hosed-up AWS Config setup for our use case, which is another reason we forked rdklib

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 15, 2020

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Our aws misconfiguration situation is wild.

We sell a product that does it well, recently acquired a company that does a great job at it, and I wrote a tool that does it decently before the first 2 things existed.

Please don't dox me, ok?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

JehovahsWetness posted:

This is what we do with our relatively-large Org w/ a bunch of child accounts. All the Config results go through an aggregator to our Infosec team's account so they get a dashboard of everyone else's resource compliance. (We're probably going to have to wire the config SNS topic up to something too, so we can get better active notifications in external systems.)

We did end up writing a bunch of "Custom Rules" w/ a forked version of rdklib since the AWS managed rules don't do exemptions/allowlists and we have a bunch of corner cases and stuff for networking rules. All the custom rules are managed in TF so it's pretty simple to add new ones / promote changes through our different env's root accounts.

e: also we interact with Control Tower which creates a hosed-up AWS Config setup for our use case, which is another reason we forked rdklib

Your Config setup sounds basically like what we're heading toward. A lot of it's still in the experimentation phase for us, so I'm still trying to figure out how best to roll things out. We use Terraform for infrastructure management but getting a new child account ready in our org is still a really manual process (creating IAM roles, etc.) that I think we can get Control Tower to look after but it sounds like from your experience maybe not? I know our security analyst would be thrilled if as part of creating a new account with Control Tower it also turned on Config and immediately started forwarding to the aggregator in the security account.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I also worked for a config auditing company in a previous life

I will check out scout suite

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for tutorials/courses on Ansible? I'm applying for cloud engineer / DevOps jobs and a lot of them want IaC knowledge. I've done the HashiCorp Terraform tutorials but it seems like frequently Ansible and Terraform are used in conjunction.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Any recommendations for tutorials/courses on Ansible? I'm applying for cloud engineer / DevOps jobs and a lot of them want IaC knowledge. I've done the HashiCorp Terraform tutorials but it seems like frequently Ansible and Terraform are used in conjunction.

https://leanpub.com/ansible-for-devops

He also did a full YouTube series on it. Geerling is pretty deep in the Ansible community and a great starting point for the basics.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sweet, thanks. I'll take a look at it when the queue slows down later tonight.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/emilyst/status/1290533146509733888

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Why the hell is maintaining task definitions for ECS such a pain in the rear end? Jfc

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Beamed posted:

Why the hell is maintaining task definitions for ECS such a pain in the rear end? Jfc

Lmao.

Cause ECS sucks. And when ppl say it’s good or that they should use it instead of K8s I roll on the floor laughing.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You have to use CloudFormation with ECS, and it's a great service as long as you do. This is the same for everything else in AWS, as well.

Given my experience with k8s I have to imagine you would either need to live in a fantasy world or to have never worked with a good toolchain to consider it inferior to kubectl apply.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Beamed posted:

You should really be making your stacks into something like cloudformation, cdk, terraform, ansible or whatever and just use that to manage it. You really shouldn't need to update it too much its set up right.

They also have the older cli commands or this new thing:

https://github.com/aws/copilot-cli

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Favorite SQL editor/ide thing? For Mac, preferably with good postgres support. I really liked pgadmin 3 as a separate app. I've been using pgadmin 4 but I really don't like having my SQL editor tied to the stability of my browser, especially with all the bullshit plugins IT auto installs on my laptop. Considering going back to pgadmin 3, but looking for other options

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

VS Code?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hadlock posted:

Favorite SQL editor/ide thing? For Mac, preferably with good postgres support. I really liked pgadmin 3 as a separate app. I've been using pgadmin 4 but I really don't like having my SQL editor tied to the stability of my browser, especially with all the bullshit plugins IT auto installs on my laptop. Considering going back to pgadmin 3, but looking for other options

Paid: jet brains, DataGrip is the database specific one

Free: VScode

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DBeaver keeps getting better and better. If you haven't used it in a year or more, give it a try - they've been dropping releases every two weeks like clockwork and almost always with significant new features or improvements. Nowadays I even use it with SQL Server instead of SSMS, and if that's not high praise I don't know what is.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
+1 for dbeaver

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Datagrip or intellij with the DB plugin

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

JHVH-1 posted:

You really shouldn't need to update it too much its set up right.

I manage mine with TF but everytime my app needs new env variables, updated ones, etc., I need to push an infra change. And that's always at least a 25 minute process of adding the env var to the infra and rerunning the code deployment.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What do you goons' k8s clusters look alike after you provision a new cluster? We're eyeing dex for identity but curious if anyone else is using a similar setup with more complex addons

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gyshall posted:

What do you goons' k8s clusters look alike after you provision a new cluster? We're eyeing dex for identity but curious if anyone else is using a similar setup with more complex addons

prometheus stack, kiam, metrics server/keda, cluster autoscaler, some cronjob/job cleaner, spot instance termination handler, externalDNS, ingress nginx, our own internal implementation of a cloud controller to handle some weird federation stuff we do. We'll soon have a mutating admission controller to work around a serious problem we have with cardinality breaking our graphite timeseries stack. basically having a pool of reusable identifiers rather than constantly making new timeseries that are ID'd by ephemeral information like podIP-service name pairs. I think those are the main components.

Registration to spinnaker and internal consul/service discovery stuff is there too but that's not really deployed in-cluster.

We use dex for identity too, we use it to mint OIDC tokens that contain user ldap groups that we have rbac targetting.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 11, 2020

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If you have an existing oidc provider; aka auth0 or Okta, you can(and imo, should) skip dex and directly auth against it. The oidc login plugin in krew is sweet and works with a ton of providers.

My home cluster uses my gsuite org for example.

Edit; which to say dex is fine, but I like to forgo it if I don’t need it

AWS auth is also nifty if you run EKS or kops.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

freeasinbeer posted:

If you have an existing oidc provider; aka auth0 or Okta, you can(and imo, should) skip dex and directly auth against it. The oidc login plugin in krew is sweet and works with a ton of providers.

My home cluster uses my gsuite org for example.

Edit; which to say dex is fine, but I like to forgo it if I don’t need it

AWS auth is also nifty if you run EKS or kops.

Okta wants to charge you like 3 extra dollars per user, per month to include ldap groups in its tokens.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Use okta to federate AWS account access and then use AWS auth for wks

Ez pz

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Beamed posted:

I manage mine with TF but everytime my app needs new env variables, updated ones, etc., I need to push an infra change. And that's always at least a 25 minute process of adding the env var to the infra and rerunning the code deployment.

With ECS at least you can now point environment variables to a secrets manager, and you just have to update the secret there and most likely refresh the service afterwards. It avoids having to continually update the task definition at least.
I don’t know if you change it on the fly if something like nodejs or whatever polling the environment again would pick it up on a running container. (Now I’m curious to test that sometime)

Otherwise how long that takes probably depends on how long your app spins up and how long before your health checks go healthy. New container needs to spin up, take traffic, old container has connects drain and then removed before everything is complete and stable again.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Methanar posted:

Okta wants to charge you like 3 extra dollars per user, per month to include ldap groups in its tokens.

Doesn’t have to be ldap groups, although to your point that is dependent on specifics of your existing setup and desired setup.

I know we just use groups defined in Okta itself.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've spent the last 6 hours reading about bpf and ebpf which is completely different and kernel networking poo poo and cilium's code and netfilter and xdp and cloudflare and cilium blogs and I understand nothing.

I'm pretty sure I found a race condition in cilium and now I'm stuck in an endless blackhole of reading about low level kernel networking facilities.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

My employer has decided to go all in on SAFe and I have spent 6 days in the last 3 weeks in interminable training. With 3 days of PI planning happening next week that is all coming from an executive-groomed backlog. Furiously applying for jobs elsewhere.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Get them to certify you first if you can. That stuff is a hot commodity these days.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Warbird posted:

Get them to certify you first if you can. That stuff is a hot commodity these days.

Wow, really?

This stuff just seems so... frustrating. My team currently services so many other teams (bunch of dev teams, professional services, helpdesk) as well as being responsible for all the platform infrastructure that the concept of trying to plan 5 2-week sprints of work seems like wishful thinking.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Since when has demand ever been for useful things? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Warbird posted:

Since when has demand ever been for useful things? :v:

gently caress... ya got me :laffo: