Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
So I would consider myself to be a nerd but I'm more of an RPG and video gaming nerd. I know about comics and a few basic facts about some super heroes, mainly from pop culture osmosis and the movies. A guy I was on a date with took me to a comic book shop. I do remember that DC recently had a reboot called New 52. So I look at the shelf full of trade paper backs. I loved the Arkham games so I do want to pick up Batman so I get what I think is the first one since the reboot. Also Green Lantern since his power sounds cool. But where I am confused is how if this is a reset and superheroes are brand new, when did all this stuff happen? So, in the Batman comic, Batman's partner Robin is his son Damien. But Isn't that something that happened before the reset? Also how long ago was it? Same thing with Green Lantern. The story begins with Green Lantern's ring going to Sinestro, in issue #1. If this is the beginning, how did that happen? Am I just being impatient and all will be revealed? Where do I really start? What order am I really supposed to read these in? Am I doing it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batman and Green Lantern are actually like the only two New 52 books that didn't completely reboot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Stop worrying about continuity.

None of it matters and changes from book to book. Just look at books whose stories you think you'd like and try them out. And if you are interested in where to start with a character or a specific book just try out the recommendation thread.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 19, 2015

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
And if there is an odd piece of continuity like an otherwise accessible Batman story in which Joker doesn't have a face for some reason, roll with it. It's easier to say, "Oh, Joker doesn't have a face right now" then worrying why that happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What Batman are you reading? I forget how much the sidekicks are featured right at the start, but Scott Snyder's main 'Batman' is very self contained and almost totally focused on Bruce. The Robins and Batgirl maybe get a few handfuls of pages over the last three years it's been going. It shouldn't be a big concern.

Damian was introduced in Grant Morrison's 2006 Batman run which was still going in a form (Batman Incorporated vol. 2) when the reboot happened, which is probably why he wasn't allowed such a clean break. I highly recommend it, though :D

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 19, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
With a lot of comics, OP, what you're looking for is a jumping-on point. With shorter series, this is just issue #1; with something like Batman or Green Lantern, it's a harder question, because the New 52 relaunch was supposed to make things easier but didn't. (For both those series, as I understand it, they were in the middle of a reasonably popular run when the relaunch happened and mostly ignored it.)

Teenage Fansub, what would the jumping-on point be for Snyder's Batman? The Court of Owls paperback?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Teenage Fansub, what would the jumping-on point be for Snyder's Batman? The Court of Owls paperback?

Yup.
You could also start on the new origin storyline 'Zero Year' (trades #4 and 5) and then jump back to the first. You'd be good that way or in production order.

It's unrelated storywise, but he also had the final year of Detective Comics pre-reboot, collected in 'The Black Mirror.' That's worth reading on a Snyder Batman kick just because it's great.

e:

Mandy Thompson posted:

Well I guess I'm really unlucky

You'll be fine.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 20, 2015

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Aphrodite posted:

Batman and Green Lantern are actually like the only two New 52 books that didn't completely reboot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mandy Thompson posted:

Snyder's Batman is basically a clean break.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
The one I picked up, sorta at random was Batman and Robin. There were tons of Batman series. I also considered Wonder Woman but only have so much money you know. I can see why this is such an addiction :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mandy Thompson posted:

The one I picked up, sorta at random was Batman and Robin. There were tons of Batman series. I also considered Wonder Woman but only have so much money you know. I can see why this is such an addiction :-)

I think B&R is a beautiful thing, but it definitely plays off of the relationship established in Morrison's stuff (e: I guess you could shortcut and watch the Batman and Son animated movie. I'm not a fan of those.)
If you want to give it another go, try the main 'Batman' we've been talking about http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Court-Owls-New/dp/1401235425/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421712445&sr=8-2&keywords=snyder+batman

And Wonder Woman is great!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 20, 2015

• Locked thread