Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'm in.

If I'm town....sorry town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I bought PMs just for mafia as well.

no rugrats.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

:stare:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

*wakes up*

*reads the player list*

:stare:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUGVZ_PNXRo

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

literally white noise posting

##vote Mithranderp

I think that's actually the first time anyone's actually voted for me in mafia. Does that make me a real player now? :3

Nah but realtalk we have to lynch day one. I have seen the light allspark. I'd probably rather get rid of Harold but as it stands now, looks like ##vote Anidav is the way to go.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kommando posted:

##vote mithranderp

voting for Anidav. late bandwagon. Autobot that doesn't own a car. Religious epiphany. white noise. Give way to pedestrians tax.

I basically just finished reading the 123012941 posts made since I woke up.

You just made my list. Anti-town non-lynching decepticons. May Primus have mercy on your...soul?

quote:

my list
Anidav
Harold
Kommando

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Read my lips, not a scum.

Do transformers have lips?

Kommando posted:

For
all
intents
and
purposes

##unvote
##vote Avshalom
ignorance of idioms.

Nah bro that was an ironic post referring to muyb's post in the last game mocking Harold Krell's loose command of the English language.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

rudatron posted:

As annoying as anidav may be, if he's town then a d1 turbo-lynch only pulls us closer to the edge. Do you actually think he's scum or do you just not want him to play?

It would save us all a ridiculous amount of otherwise constructive discussion over the course of the game, arguing whether Anidav is town or scum, because when push comes to shove it probably doesn't matter when he does things like he did in the last game (e.g. fake role claim, hinting heavily that it's SO IMPORTANT that he lives because of REASONS).

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

If anidav is town, scum can vote for him and hide behind the bandwagon
If he's scum, scum can vote for him and be somewhat immune from suspicion for at least a little while. This happened in the game before last, where scum voted out scumidav to "prove" their innocence.

scum if you do, scum if you don't.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kommando posted:

No, its because you've outed yourself, not as a dumb townie whos going along for larks, but a savage whos satisfied with the direction of the bandwagon.

Being a retard with votefinder is just noiseposting. i was happy to noisepost my way to death because i legit cannot follow this long-rear end game to its conclusion and will just blither poo poo until i board a plane on saturday to a land of white sand beaches and no internets.

that is until i got snagged on a proud nail. Your post. Screaming out "I am playing as scum".

Of course you would think its a weak reason, you're prosecuting it. But town are unaffiliated and know they have no information, but scum need to reassure, not so much for others but themselves. Its conceptually difficult to pretend to know nothing when you actually do.

The game does not need a quick lynch, the rules state that the person at the end of the day with the most votes will be killed, this could happen with 1 vote all day and at 9pm that person dies. The game will not resume until 9am the next day and so hammering early robs us of discussion and sluthing. And any incidental funnies along the way. However early hammering of scapegoats works in scum favor.
Believe it or not but when you go back over first day posts (Or read as a GM), people let on a lot more than they believe, earlier someone mentioned a nursebot with breasts, then someone mentioned their 'breasts' having a hunch. Watch closely and people will outright tell you what they are or what their flavor is on day 1. I've already done it. It wouldnt take much research to find what character i'm playing.

And you've told me yours.

Day one is quickly becoming a towering inferno of madness.

I still think a day one lynch is a good idea, I'm just not sure if an Anidav vote will be useful at all, seeing as scum and town will vote him out alike and there's little information we can actually get from that. Thanks for your post. I needed that.

so ##unvote for now but I agree with Fruity that Anidav is a liability regardless of his faction, so I'll re-vote later if need be.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Not necessarily. Beet and I (and Anidav I guess) certainly proved that wrong in just the last game. This is a bad assumption to make.

Yeah, sometimes it can just be like four confused townies just duking it out.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Killing anidav won't really tell us anything:

1. If Anidav is scum, there will be scum in the vote who piled on to make themselves look town. There will be town who protested because they don't want to vote Anidav for no reason.
2. If Anidav is town, there will be scum who protested against the lynch to make themselves look town, AND because no lynch day 1 is good for scum. There will be plenty of town who voted for Anidav because he is distracting/bad for town even if he's town.

That being said, I think we should still vote Anidav because he's our best chance of a conviction on day one, and there is at least a chance that we'll end up voting a scum out day one :) unless someone has more concrete evidence in favour of voting for someone else.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Ironic Sex Tourist posted:

plus he's a terrible mafia player, singlehandedly lost town the last game, and is an annoying little poo poo

Well, not singlehandedly, but yeah he did create way more confusion than he was worth.

He's a bit quieter this game though; whether that's because he's scum or if he's trying not to gently caress poo poo up remains to be seen.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Splode posted:

voting for Anidav can be justified because

- he's a bad player and regardless of alignment will get town killed
- people have 16 pages worth of stuff they otherwise wouldn't have posted, that can be examined later for CLOOOZ
- he's posting in character

Those On My Left posted:

the real argument for lynching anidav is that he has proven himself capable of completely loving up town even when he is a townie. picking a person to lynch on d1 is difficult - there's not a lot to go on. he's as good a lynch as anyone.

while lynching anidav might give us a bit of information on d2, i would expect that the real info will come from night actions

we're at 16 pages holy poo poo.

Yeah I agree with the above. I'd prefer to delay the hammer til later to stimulate more conversation, but I'll vote him when the time comes.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I think I didn't really vote for milky BC I put spaces in there but just in case it's confused votegrindr:

##vote anidav

you gots to bold it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Welp, there's three hours and three votes left so I might as well

##vote anidav

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Hey Harold Krill

You stink and I'm going to vote for you

Krill probably does stink quite a bit.

Poor Howard Krill :(

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

You are right, there will be power roles.

Are we gonna be in for another round of Anidav hinting strongly that he has a power role?

IDK if you've ever heard about the boy who cried wolf. It's a good story; you might learn something from it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Avshalom posted:

just vote for anidav, that's all we ask of you

also you're currently #11 out of what, 30 posters? so don't worry about overposting, drowning out all the useful data in a flood of verbiage is half the fun (for me)

Is there a link to see the post count? IDK where to look at that.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3695636

link for the lazy

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Oh hey guys, I just woke up, what's--:stonk:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kommando posted:

When did Anidav role claim?

I don't think i missed it.

He didn't so much claim as he hinted strongly that he had a role.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

You are right, there will be power roles.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

yeah basically

Ok so i don't want to be associated with webby because i have a very very strong suspicion that hes scum - i get a hell dodgy vibe from just about every post he's made. There's a very very strong sense of providing too much information to make it seem like 'he's one of us', too much narration of his actions in an attempt to make it seem like they're logical rather than opportunistic scum moves

re: Anidav/starscream - trying to force Dave into a roleclaim, or stitch him up for one

overexplaining a vote for anidav - noone else bothered to provide a 'logical' reasons, it was a joke/reflex vote - this is scum covering their tracks

Trying too hard to show that he's part of the team - webby doesn't post/speak like this, he's closer to the soag-BJ end of the spectrum rather than bif end

whole bunch of completely groundless (and actually ridiculous) accusations, with the exception of lid who a few people have called out - potentially bandwagoning

Scum trying to get other factions to reveal themselves, or power roles to own up to blocking

So, you have a history of
trying to make people identify their roles and
over-enunciating his actions and emphasising that he's part of the team while
not actually saying anything of substance

summary: :itwaspoo:

##unvote
##vote webmeister

I've been feeling pretty poo poo today so tbh have not had much of an interest in mafia today.

But I like this post!

I think webby throwing shade at bif about previous status was a bit weird seeing as a) your faction/status from previous games has zero impact on your faction status from this game (simple statistics. flipping a coin and getting tails does not increase your chance of getting heads next flip) and b) she has actually been scum recently, but that's meaningless anyway. It might have been a joke but it's just...useless to post. Coming up with stupid poo poo reasons to suspect people is pretty scummy when there's plenty of legit reasons to suspect people.

##vote webmeister

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lid posted:

So when everyone was saying Splode, and I had been saying Splode since yesterday and it would have been easy to go with it, I moved from Splode to bell jar because I think bell jar is a more useless scum but you're reading it as "I decided to bus bell jar for no reason, and also am bussing webmeister". This is of course ignoring that on day one I could have y'know just gone along with the Anidav kill rather than trying to supposedly "bus" my teammates.

Yeah you haven't thought this through have you?

The problem is, we all kinda knew that data about the Anidav vote wouldn't/couldn't disprove anyone's guilt or innocence.

Mithranderp posted:

Killing anidav won't really tell us anything:

1. If Anidav is scum, there will be scum in the vote who piled on to make themselves look town. There will be town who protested because they don't want to vote Anidav for no reason.
2. If Anidav is town, there will be scum who protested against the lynch to make themselves look town, AND because no lynch day 1 is good for scum. There will be plenty of town who voted for Anidav because he is distracting/bad for town even if he's town.

That being said, I think we should still vote Anidav because he's our best chance of a conviction on day one, and there is at least a chance that we'll end up voting a scum out day one :) unless someone has more concrete evidence in favour of voting for someone else.

Trying to use not voting for Anidav to support your innocence isn't really going to get you far.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

I do like this webmeister case, and I'm hoping that's the only reason it's caught on with all these people flying out of the woodwork to vote for it, after all the other cases today had sat around at 1-2 votes. All this flying in on just the last case of the day makes me nervous.

...but it is a good case! So count me in as a vote if/when needed, I'm just gonna keep this seat warm in the meantime.

After reading the thread and IST's post about webby it made more sense than the (relatively) baseless accusations that were otherwise being thrown around. And also my morning was kinda poo poo so I didn't feel like posting in Mafia. But I have been reading.

:c00l:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Seagull posted:

##unvote

Six.

I'm liking the webmeister points but I'll hold off on voting for him until later.

Eh, there's no point in "holding off until later" because there are still six (now seven) votes needed, and we're not even halfway any more. We do still have just over four hours, and it's good to hold off on the hammer, but don't leave it too late.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Harold Krell posted:

What happens if we don't get 6 more votes in time?

Nothing. Nobody gets lynched.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Mithranderp posted:

Eh, there's no point in "holding off until later" because there are still six (now seven) votes needed, and we're not even halfway any more. We do still have just over four hours, and it's good to hold off on the hammer, but don't leave it too late.

Wait I was wrong, there are still six votes, I thought Seagull had unvoted from webmeister. MY BAD.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I think there is circumstantial evidence that actually points to IST being the real target of one of last night's attacks. IST led the charge against webmeister, had good logic, and is doing active scumhunting that seems to bear fruit (at least it did once). I think Beets might have realised that, and used his night action to protect IST from the inevitable attack on him.

I just had breakfast so I just skimmed the thread while I was eating. But for now, since IST seems to have a good nose:

##vote Plotterboy

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

If IST is scum, he singlehandedly made the whole case and started the bandwagon on webmeister, when there was no chatter around him before. That is some amazingly proactive throwing under the bus.

I agree with this; however we have had situations where scum have thrown each other under the bus so that they can appear less like scum. Furthermore, I have no reason to doubt black_tangled's role claim and data. I also have something that will maybe back b_t's claim up (and in light of what they revealed it actually kinda makes sense) and will reveal it if people need more evidence. So, in light of everything:

##vote Ironic Sex Tourist.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

WHAT IS GOING ON I thought you guys were all pointing fingers at each other but now you're all agreeing somehow on IST who's like the only one we can see has nabbed scum in the day?!

black_tangled (in watcher role) saw that IST visited Avs last night. Avs died.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lid posted:

WITH THAT SAID

If black tangled is making a gambit then kill Plott next. A move this audacious could only be to save someone of real importance.

That or Black and Plott are part of one scum team and IST is part of another and its an internal war.

This is entirely possible. If we have a vig (likely) and one mafia team then it only explains two deaths last night. Unless we have two vigilantes, I guess.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Mithranderp posted:

I agree with this; however we have had situations where scum have thrown each other under the bus so that they can appear less like scum. Furthermore, I have no reason to doubt black_tangled's role claim and data. I also have something that will maybe back b_t's claim up (and in light of what they revealed it actually kinda makes sense) and will reveal it if people need more evidence. So, in light of everything:

##vote Ironic Sex Tourist.

Also my "evidence" only makes sense if I'm correct about a particular game mechanic AND IT'S SO loving HARD TO FIGURE OUT but I really don't want to roleclaim today plzthx

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

black_tangled posted:

I'm new but is it possible to clarify your question via PM with Asphyxious or is that not kosher?

I think no because it would give me information beyond what my role is supposed to do?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Milky - his in character posts are fun but he's not really being as helpful as he could be.
Harold - I think he has somewhat been pulled into line (whether that's by other scum or if he's realised that people find him annoying IDK) but beyond that, most (all?) of his posts have been white noise.
IST - He went after webby pretty hard, which could have been a scum setup a la anidav a few games back. I don't think b_t would be stupid enough as to lie about IST visiting avshalom. So either he's scum or he's our vigilante.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Those aren't in any sort of order btw.

Can people elucidate on their suspicions for Lid and Splode? I've been skimming mostly today because I've been playing vidya games and enjoying the weather (rain all day! :D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Harold Krell posted:

I can still excite your wiles if you want me to.

:stonk:

my wiles are fine as they are tyvm

• Locked thread