Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Even with two jammers, there's a brief moment between them triggering where you're visible on radar. I've used that to dash out and snipe a stealth plasma tank that thought he was safe on a rock formation.

So does anyone else build decoy cockpits? For one of my bots I built two glass domes exactly the size to fit a pilot seat. For my current bot, I have the seat in a little nest of tier-appropriate armor blocks, and a glass dome behind that that only holds my radar.

Unfortunately this isn't very useful when I run face-first into plasma. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Androc posted:

As a new player to this game, there's a lot of stuff that's really cool- the whole building system, the way bots get destroyed in pieces and all that. But, for real, gently caress whoever rolls into T1 or T2 games with rail cannons or whatever else that are literally impossible to unlock at that tier. Is this kind of thing going to be an issue all the way up to T10? Because it's making me seriously reconsider playing this game all by itself.

Target acquired.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Androc posted:

As a new player to this game, there's a lot of stuff that's really cool- the whole building system, the way bots get destroyed in pieces and all that. But, for real, gently caress whoever rolls into T1 or T2 games with rail cannons or whatever else that are literally impossible to unlock at that tier. Is this kind of thing going to be an issue all the way up to T10? Because it's making me seriously reconsider playing this game all by itself.
Plasma and railguns aren't inherently superior to SMGs so it doesn't really give them that much of an advantage.

Although I imagine one-railgun helium defense bots are a lot more annoying than when I was in T1 and 2 thanks to the railgun buffs and SMG sniping nerfs.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
You know what sucks? Going up against a team 1/3 made up of plasma bombers, when none of your smgs or railguns know how to aim.

e: Christ the people who play this game are even more cowardly than in WoT. Gotta save on repair costs, I guess!

Steelion fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 30, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Repairs have a cost? :shrug:

e:

Androc posted:

It's a different story once you get up to T3 and tiny medic bots start showing up. I love those guys.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Some people may not agree, but I think overtiering shouldn't be allowed at t1/t2. It gives a pretty bad first impression, and probably drives people away because they get wrecked and there's not a lot they can do about it that early on.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Dareon posted:

Repairs have a cost? :shrug:

:thejoke:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sailor Dave posted:

Some people may not agree, but I think overtiering shouldn't be allowed at t1/t2. It gives a pretty bad first impression, and probably drives people away because they get wrecked and there's not a lot they can do about it that early on.

Honestly though, if you drop a plasma or railgun on your bot in T1, your going to die to one or two shots from an SMG. I get that newbies are still learning the game, but the level of skill is far lower than CoD players, which is saying something.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The problem arises when you have a) a tiny rail-bot hovering near the ceiling, b) players with godawful situational awareness, and c) no sense of controlled, accurate fire. Then you're lucky if any of them even realize the thing's there before they get blown apart, and luckier still if they can hit it spraying full-auto SMG fire skyward before they get blown apart.

e: when I was going through T1/T2, the only time I ever saw one of the rail microbots get destroyed was when I did it myself.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 30, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I dunno, you get killed by the floating speck in the sky a few times and you learn to look up now and then, or at least I did.

They're gone entirely past the first few tiers because of this.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I saw one in a T4 fight. It had three radar dishes on it, which I have to assume is the only way to get a gunchair to T4, and I couldn't help thinking "What's this fuckstick playing at? You can't kill anything of substance with a single railgun, especially if you're bobbling all over the place."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Dareon posted:

I saw one in a T4 fight. It had three radar dishes on it, which I have to assume is the only way to get a gunchair to T4, and I couldn't help thinking "What's this fuckstick playing at? You can't kill anything of substance with a single railgun, especially if you're bobbling all over the place."

Well, technically if you're really good and you can see your enemies pilot seat (Which is normal at lower levels.) Sniping the blocks around it from the air will usually pop the block the pilot is on as well. This goes for later tiers with spider builds that are up high.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 30, 2015

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

This is my bot. It has many guns. If you destroy some of my guns, there are many more to replace them. I named it I HAVE MANY GUNS. It has served me well ever since I built it.
The update makes it turn on a loving dime now, so it's even better. You cannot best my zig zag technique with your railguns, for they are slow to aim. You cannot hit it with your plasma, for it is slow in travel. I destroy all, for I have many guns.

Izzus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 30, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how all of them are staggered, so each one can fire reliably.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Izzus posted:

This is my bot. It has many guns. If you destroy some of my guns, there are many more to replace them. I named it I HAVE MANY GUNS. It has served me well ever since I built it.
The update makes it turn on a loving dime now, so it's even better. You cannot best my zig zag technique with your railguns, for they are slow to aim. You cannot hit it with your plasma, for it is slow in travel. I destroy all, for I have many guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsD48sdnpI

Serpentine!!!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Started playing last night and got to tier 2 where I'm getting my poo poo pushed in more often than not, but this is pretty fun so far.

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

Oh drat I wanted to watch that once but completely forgot about it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I jumped in for a little bit to get the MEGA megaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh crap, or, at least get them on the tech tree, ran around healing for a bit, was as fun as ever.
Then tried my rail walker, got some kills with a badly fitted set of 4 t9 rails, I'll wait until steam has finished downloading is other junk, then get back on for more action, its good to be back.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FINALLY hit 100 mega SMG kills. That was excruciating. I really hope I get all my megas skinned as a reward and not just one, even if I won't be using them much.

Izzus posted:

Oh drat I wanted to watch that once but completely forgot about it.

Generation Kill is amazing and you should watch it today.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Decided to try this out to blow off steam after aggravating myself playing WoT. My early on plan is just to have a box with as many SMGs as I can fit on it, this is good idea, yes?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Axetrain posted:

Decided to try this out to blow off steam after aggravating myself playing WoT. My early on plan is just to have a box with as many SMGs as I can fit on it, this is good idea, yes?

Just as long as you alternate SMG placement, otherwise they will shoot each other in the back and your DPS will go down.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Six SMGs will give you the max available DPS. Extras past that don't reduce your DPS they just cannot increase your fire speed past that point. If they're on the opposite side of your robot and do not having a firing solution on the target they will waste shots as the firing pattern cycles through all available weapons regardless of ability to target something.

They do offer redundant weaponry to keep your DPS available as you sustain damage though so there's good and bad parts about going past six weapons, and most people will have more than six you just need to orient them properly on your bot.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So I looked at this and thought

Why the hell not?

:getin:

So yeah, while combat effectiveness is dubious the fact that I now own a functional Qwaar-jet is seriously rad.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Forgive me, for I do not know what I do:
Gimped myself from the outset while building my first vehicle by selling cubes instead of deleting them from the model.
Now I have no useful parts with which to build.
How the gently caress do I remedy this idiocy, is there a way to reset my registration, or must I re-register?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Level 1 parts cost no money.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
No wheels on guns in my inventory, or purchasable in the cube depot..

e:
Ah well, even in practice it was pretty laggy on my crappy laptop, so I uninstalled it.
Another time, maybe.

Mechanical Pencil fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 1, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What about the tech tree?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

You can still earn cash by spotting enemies religiously and sneaking around to get captures. It would be a bit of a slog but you could recover within a few rounds. Hero bonuses have helped a lot with the grind too, we didn't used to get those.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Might be difficult with nothing but a brick of whites and a pilot seat, but it sounds like he just wasn't noticing the Movement and Hardware tabs in the cube shop and possibly the garage.

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
How common and disruptive is cheating in this game? Do the devs seem competent in dealing with it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I am not good at planes. :saddowns:

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Mechanical Pencil posted:

Forgive me, for I do not know what I do:
Gimped myself from the outset while building my first vehicle by selling cubes instead of deleting them from the model.
Now I have no useful parts with which to build.
How the gently caress do I remedy this idiocy, is there a way to reset my registration, or must I re-register?

As mentioned, all T1 pieces are free. Can you not see the other categories in the cube depot? White armour blocks, SMG and wheels are already unlocked.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
He sold them. So all he could build now would be a block vehicle with a chair, and do some spotting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nition posted:

He sold them. So all he could build now would be a block vehicle with a chair, and do some spotting.

They're free.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So for players who accidentally sold all their poo poo, you can buy:

Light Chassis Cube (No other light chassis pieces.)
FRONT mounted SMG (Not Top-Mounted)
T1 Steering Wheels
And the Pilot Chassis.

That will allow you to build a robot to just under T2 that can grind away all the tech-points you need to advance.

Once you've unlocked all the t1 tech points, just add more blocks and guns to get halfway through t2, everyone else will still be running t1-t2 armor that is easily shot off by the starter guns.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Unless you're a T10 jerk building a T1 murdercar that's actually surprisingly fragile if I play dumb.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Had some money in my steam wallet so I grabbed a month of premium. This has been a lot of fun so far, and yes, most of the players are horrible. Since it is similar to WoT, but you have so much more speed, everyone just drives full speed without ever stopping. Makes it super easy to ambush people by hiding around corners and rocks. There are so many spots on the maps to do this. In tier 2 I'm usually getting 3-5 kills (10 v 10 for those new to the thread / game). I'll post my T2 robot soon.

How does the tier unlocking work? I haven't quite figured that out yet. Is it based on the blocks / equipment on my robot? I have all T3 guns and T3 armor in the front / sides of my bot, but the insides are all still T1 blocks I think. Do I need to upgrade that stuff and the wheels to T3 as well? I'm at work now or I'd play with it more. I just noticed the Tier bar on the bottom last night before logging off.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The tier bar at the bottom that you mentioned is really the only way of seeing how close you are to "leveling up", as far as I know. If your guts are still a lower tier then you should focus on replacing those first. According to this wiki page you should be able to unlock Hover Blades at T2 and some of the more robo-rank-heavy parts at T3 (radar jammers, plasma, and shields). Try building a flier? They've improved a ton with the most recent patches so even a few blades should be stable. Just keep cramming the highest tier stuff you can fit under your CPU limit and you'll be in the next tier pretty quickly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It does get to the point where you're just gluing random poo poo to your bot in a mostly-futile attempt to nudge the bar that last pixel into the next tier. :argh:

My T5 bot has 8 railguns and some random armor cruft on it, and it's kind of a crapshoot which six guns will charge up and be able to fire. I actually got the last pixel by replacing two of my windshield blocks with armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
For a joke I built a kamikaze bot, actually won the last two rounds in a row, 2 kills each round.

I did not think it would work, though aiming it is hard.

• Locked thread