Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ianmacdo posted:

For a joke I built a kamikaze bot, actually won the last two rounds in a row, 2 kills each round.

I did not think it would work, though aiming it is hard.

Those things have been a real thorn in my side lately. I snipe a lot and I've gotten ganked a couple of times when they snuck up with multiple jammers.

I'm building one but I need more T10 armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Thor-Stryker posted:

So for players who accidentally sold all their poo poo, you can buy:

Light Chassis Cube (No other light chassis pieces.)
FRONT mounted SMG (Not Top-Mounted)
T1 Steering Wheels
And the Pilot Chassis.

That will allow you to build a robot to just under T2 that can grind away all the tech-points you need to advance.

Once you've unlocked all the t1 tech points, just add more blocks and guns to get halfway through t2, everyone else will still be running t1-t2 armor that is easily shot off by the starter guns.

Cheers for all the pointers, but I uninstalled the game. Shame quit?
Idiocy burdens my every waking moment.
Also, my laptop's not really up to gaming, even a hardware-undemanding one such as this, and trying to aim/build using only a touch pad is a real pain in my rectum - looking to buy a cheap wireless mouse.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
http://robocraftgame.com/e14-needs-you-3/

Droppin' plates on yo' rear end.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meh, still holding out hope that some day they'll separate plate tier from plate shape. There's useful shapes at low tier but they would stop like one SMG round.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oh cool just in time to make rails worthless above T9 again :suicide:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Chard posted:

Oh cool just in time to make rails worthless above T9 again :suicide:

Well here's to hoping they make the T11 rail so big you have to build your bot around it. I would totally rock a doomsday cannon that can only pivot up or down.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Agreed, that would in fact be totally awesome.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I really want the ability to shroud your weapons inside armour at the cost of losing the ability to move it based on where you put the blocks. Maybe with the ability to slave movement to mouselook when you zoom in so your vehicle moves to center the weapon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I really want the ability to shroud your weapons inside armour at the cost of losing the ability to move it based on where you put the blocks. Maybe with the ability to slave movement to mouselook when you zoom in so your vehicle moves to center the weapon.

This entirely. Let me build my Kingdom Hearts gummi ships that were basically just a long rod of guns that I pointed at things I wanted to go away.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Plasma bombers basically don't exist any more in the middle tiers.

I have not seen a bomber carry a team since the railgun buffs, and only just now did I actually see a bomber live beyond the opening minute.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I have one (T5). I do get some success with it but only when I fly it as air support. I wait until my pals are getting shot at and then bomb the dudes they're fighting. If I get spotted out in front of my team I get hosed pretty fast.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Denzine posted:

Plasma bombers basically don't exist any more in the middle tiers.

I have not seen a bomber carry a team since the railgun buffs, and only just now did I actually see a bomber live beyond the opening minute.

They're certainly much, much fewer in numbers because the unwashed masses have lost their near indestructible I-win-button. When something is basically untouchable you're going to get tons and tons of bandwagoners that just want it for the easy kills. Make something a threat to them and they all find out they should have sucked the whole time. It's like seeing that one SMG tank on your team that loads up and heads in a straight line towards the enemy as fast as possible entirely by himself.

The ones that remain have adopted hit-and-run strategies instead of just loitering over head horking plasma blissfully uncaring about who shoots at them, are flying low and using terrain to avoid fire and waiting until people are engaged instead of desperately jumping to the front lines to get kills before everyone else. In other words using tactics beyond 'fly at reds, prez butan'.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
The lower tiers don't have many Plasma Bombers anymore, it's true. T10, on the other hand, has them out the wazoo in the form of flying bricks that take loving forever to kill even with a loadout of six Rail Cannons. I've made a habit of aiming for their Plasma Launchers and Aerofoils/Rudders just so they stop bothering me while I focus on more important targets, like the guys ganking my teammates.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I dunno man I just watched a plasma bomber boss get ripped the gently caress apart by railguns within 30 seconds of taking off, and I took off some of its guns and cored it again after reloading my single t7 cannon.

Maybe I should redesign my t9 tank to be a railgun carrier.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I still see a decent amount at t5/t6, simply because so many people are accustomed to Not Looking Up that they completely miss the bombers soaring over their heads like buzzards.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The most dangerous bombers are the ones that have the electroplating on both sides, the kind that eats a T10 rail and shits out 0 damage. They can just do a barrel roll after your first shot and unless you're really quick you'll just darken their plates instead of damaging anything.

SL the Pyro posted:

The lower tiers don't have many Plasma Bombers anymore, it's true. T10, on the other hand, has them out the wazoo in the form of flying bricks that take loving forever to kill even with a loadout of six Rail Cannons. I've made a habit of aiming for their Plasma Launchers and Aerofoils/Rudders just so they stop bothering me while I focus on more important targets, like the guys ganking my teammates.

This is the most reliable way of dealing with them that I've found. Even if they just go get healed up that's still a lot of time that they aren't raining death on your team, plus it ties up their medic from healing the SMG guys. If you're really lucky they'll crash somewhere they can't escape and either get picked off by a teammate or just quit the round.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been having fun with my T5 interceptor, though I tend to fly out ahead of everyone, spot three rail tanks for my team and get popped instantly by the one I didn't spot. Although I had an amusing time where my plane got completely destroyed except for my bug-out chair: two T3 thrusters and a single SMG. Just by wildly thrusting and sniping, I took out a full-health rail tank.

Of course, then there's been the times where I go down on top of a cliff with no line of fire to anything or way off it. And the one time I got stuck on the geometry of that bigass grey tower in the first thirty seconds.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Now that they've buffed rails and needed thrusters, they just need to double the health and lift on wings/rudders so flying bots can focus more on armor rather than loosing lift.
Hell, plasma bricks would have been kicked down a tier with the Railgun changes, now its just suicidal to fly in T10.

Also, there was an invisible buff to Railguns, when you're crosshairs are zoning in after a shot, your follow-up shot will stay within the crosshairs. Before you had to wait the two full seconds for reset or the shot would go as far out as possible despite the crosshairs narrowing in.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I have yet to be in a bossfight that we haven't one, unless it was against a very good TEAM of bosses.

edit: since the railgun buffs.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 5, 2015

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
So I love medics, don't get me wrong, but I can't count the number of games I've lost because people (both medics and hurt dudes) get caught in the trap of sitting in plain sight of a plasma bomber or rail tank vainly trying to heal up against the damage being dealt.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm of the mindset that if you can see someone on the enemy team and get there in a few seconds you need to stop healing and start killing. The best medicine is superior firepower, and medics are remarkable in their ability to pin-point target the enemy weapons with constant damage. Sure an SMG can destroy an entire enemy vehicle faster, but medics will never have a wasted second when it comes to targeting and stripping the enemy weapons. If they're in range, every second of damage is going exactly where you tell it to.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SumYungGui posted:

I'm of the mindset that if you can see someone on the enemy team and get there in a few seconds you need to stop healing and start killing. The best medicine is superior firepower, and medics are remarkable in their ability to pin-point target the enemy weapons with constant damage. Sure an SMG can destroy an entire enemy vehicle faster, but medics will never have a wasted second when it comes to targeting and stripping the enemy weapons. If they're in range, every second of damage is going exactly where you tell it to.

So many times I've died screaming at a medic to stop healing me cuz I'm exposed and can't move and to strip the last SMG from the bot that's sat ten feet away from me. They never listen.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Chard posted:

So many times I've died screaming at a medic to stop healing me cuz I'm exposed and can't move and to strip the last SMG from the bot that's sat ten feet away from me. They never listen.

Depending on your active hours, you may not be playing with many English speakers. Maybe memorize the Russian and Japanese words for "kill, dumbass"?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I just tried this game out last night and holy poo poo fun. A friend of mine noticed me playing on steam and also downloaded but we couldn't group up for whatever reason.

What new content things are they working on right now?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
MEGAbots, which is basically super large sized high end T10 versions of all the various cubes. There's megawheels and megaSMGs so far, with megaplates on the way.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What new content things are they working on right now?

Megabots will introduce new "Boss" battles where 15+ T5-T7 bots will attempt to take on one single Megabot controlled by the player.

We are also supposed to be getting a fixed group and clan system, which means its easier to find and team up with friends. (Right now it can take like 4hours before you can 'see' each other.)

The builder is supposed to be getting an upgrade so you can 'mirror' build your bots, basically cutting the time in half it takes to make craft a symmetrical bot.

We are also getting spawn improvements, which I guess will start distinguishing the difference between flyers and ground.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does Overwolf do anything/work? I installed it when they added it but it made the game not launch and I haven't looked at it since then. It would be very nice to have voicechat, especially if clans are coming.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I didn't get a screenshot, but I just got into a fight with a bot that looked like Mario

Needless to say, I followed him around healing him the whole fight, and when he got smoked I cursed everyone out in chat

Game owns

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Chard posted:

And then there are the people who don't seem to realize they can still move/shoot while being healed.

Or the ones who are sitting in a corner crippled and... apparently don't want to be healed? I have no idea anymore. "poo poo, I'm being repaired, better start FLAILING AROUND"

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fish Noise posted:

And then there are the people who don't seem to realize they can still move/shoot while being healed.

Or the ones who are sitting in a corner crippled and... apparently don't want to be healed? I have no idea anymore. "poo poo, I'm being repaired, better start FLAILING AROUND"

Not much choice when a leg pops in and sends you flying across the map.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Not much choice when a leg pops in and sends you flying across the map.
Nah, walker physics freakouts are pretty distinct from legless designs that lay on the engines and do their best impression of a thrustcube the instant they start getting repaired.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Why doesn't everyone just use railguns all the time?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Because they still have weaknesses, -It's hard to mount six of them without making frail stands to put them on.
-Railguns also have a large profile, its easy to snipe them off.
-Aiming down is a bitch if you don't specifically angle your bot for it.

However, I haven't played Sub-T10 since the patch so I'm sure they're OP since they worked really well already.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ass_Burgerer posted:

If someone gets up in your face you're probably boned. Sometimes you can shotgun your stuff at them without zooming in and take them out. If those miss or don't at least cripple them you're done for. It will only take a few seconds for them to strip off all your railguns since the guns are so big they basically can't miss. Additionally when higher tiers start showing up they'll have more shields than a shield making factory after an overtime shift. Most times those shiels will pop after one shot to an area but once you're in higher end tiers they'll eat a rail round and ask for more. Or a maxed out T10 poo poo brick with more hitpoints than god that can just keep trucking through your rail shots, those happen too.

They're still one of my absolute favorite weapons because I have a probably irrational hatred of plasma bombers and few things make me as happy as loving one of them up, ruining their day and making them quit the match without even getting a kill. It's near-suicidal and can be of questionable usefulness for the rest of the match but I basically run around T10 in a rail walker all the time doing nothing but making GBS threads on plasma bombers and then helping out where I can once they're gone.

...I may have a little bit of a grudge I need to work through. Possibly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It pays to slap some blades onto a rail walkerflier. It is immensely satisfying to cripple some goober and then end his life by smashing into him face first.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
For those of you wondering why the last patch never came out: Mac users are to blame.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress.

I spent my remaining t10 points on wheels. THEN they announce the shields. Why.
:negative:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've got over 10000 tech points for T10, so that doesn't concern me as much as having burned through my banked RP on getting mega SMGs. I'm not sure I have much more than a million stored up at the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well if they continue this trend there's still mega rails, mega legs, mega plasma, etc.

Mega pilot seat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Well if they continue this trend there's still mega rails, mega legs, mega plasma, etc.

Mega pilot seat?

What some of you may not know, is that the current items released have been in the works for some time now.

Here's the original post.

Here's the video that shows off the Tires and SMGs.
Those last two items have been in preparation since December 2013.

• Locked thread