Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I'm stealing Gavok's thunder here, but I'm pretty sure that's a reference to an awesome What If where Punisher fought the vampire X-men.

Ghostlight mentioned it, too. I love that it's both a callback and awesome on its own if you had no idea that What If? ever existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was right:

wikipedia posted:

In What If...Wolverine Had Become the Lord of Vampires?, Frank is chosen by the spirit of Doctor Strange to fight the vampires. Frank does so by killing Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, and Juggernaut, all of whom became vampires. When Frank fights Wolverine, he accidentally kills Kitty Pryde, causing Wolverine to kill him

So I guess it can't be that exact version of Dr. Castle.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo. That is seriously loving awesome. Dr. Strange + Punisher? That combination never would've crossed my mind.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Holy poo poo. That is seriously loving awesome. Dr. Strange + Punisher? That combination never would've crossed my mind.

Read Original Sin then.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Could I interest you in Punisher + Venom?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The Deadpool story also looks really fun. The weird retro issues of Deadpool in the latest run ruled (as long as you like Deadpool, I mean).

I love seeing the retro costumes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Could I interest you in Punisher + Venom?

I'm not sure there's a Venom combo I'd want to read less. Oh yeah, Gambit Venom probably takes it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
God, Wasp has had some awful costumes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

God, Wasp has had some awful costumes.

She's a fashion designer man. Don't you get fashion?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Those were fine back in the '80s. Of course they look silly now.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Wasp's costume says exactly nothing about the character or her powerset, it's amazing. There's the weird "W" collar thing going on, but otherwise ...? :psyduck:

zoux posted:

She's a fashion designer man. Don't you get fashion?

Fashion is a dangerous art.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Didn't she also design Wonder Man's costume at one point? Girl just likes to put giant W's on stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like the fashion mogul element, it's something that's not really been done, and because Wasp's never really had a solo title, it's never had a huge amount of focus. Balancing crime-fighting with getting the new line ready for New York Fashion Week seems like an obvious story. You could even work Hellcat or Millie the Model in..

And I just described a book that would get sub-four-figure sales numbers, didn't I?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Wasp's costume says exactly nothing about the character or her powerset, it's amazing.

I'd say there's a pretty even split in regards to costumes being representative of characters and them just being costumes. There's nothing wrong with that.

zoux posted:

Didn't she also design Wonder Man's costume at one point? Girl just likes to put giant W's on stuff.

It's almost like that's the letter their names start with!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not like Thor's wearing a giant T mate.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Are you saying that it doesn't make sense for a superhero to wear the first letter of their name on their uniform? You're saying that's weird?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Are you saying that it doesn't make sense for a superhero to wear the first letter of their name on their uniform? You're saying that's weird?

I think you guys are getting way bent out of shape over a throwaway joke about Janet making giant W collars.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I think you guys are getting way bent out of shape over a throwaway joke about Janet making giant W collars.

You're a throwaway joke!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Wasp designed the shape of his hammer, too.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hawkeye's costume has two separate H's!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Hawkeye's costume has two separate H's!

One's because he's a hologram.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I don't think anybody's getting bent out shape. It was just friendly banter.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

zoux posted:

One's because he's a hologram.

I didn't (and still don't) get this reference, but trying to google it did lead me to fanart of Hawkeye and the Holograms, which is so baffling that I can't help but be charmed.

(I just meant that the vertical stripes on his costume, along with the belt, sort of form a giant H on his body in addition to the one on his head.)

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I didn't (and still don't) get this reference, but trying to google it did lead me to fanart of Hawkeye and the Holograms, which is so baffling that I can't help but be charmed.

(I just meant that the vertical stripes on his costume, along with the belt, sort of form a giant H on his body in addition to the one on his head.)

It's a reference to Red Dwarf, a 1990s British sitcom. The show is set on a spaceship in the far future, and one of the characters died and was brought back as a hologram, marked by the big "H" on his head. Which is sort of what happened with Hawkeye and the Scarlet Witch!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious, but what's up with Magneto?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He plays a crucial part later in the story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That is literally the hardest anyone has ever worked to get a comb.

And OG Secret Wars isn't good, but there's a lot of entertainment in it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

poo poo yes, callback to the best issue of Deadpool ever, from which I got my avatar.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

My god, I must know the PPB of metallic particles in the atmosphere now.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man these look amazing, I can't wait for all these Secret Wars comics to start.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That is literally the hardest anyone has ever worked to get a comb.

And OG Secret Wars isn't good, but there's a lot of entertainment in it.

I think og secret wars has a fair number of character moments. It definitely has one of my favorite doom moments.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hulk holding up that mountain... :allears:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Cross posting this from the Digital Comics and Avengers thread.

Almost all of Hickman's Avengers run is on sale in case someone wants to binge to get ready for Secret Wars

Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/916?916_pg=2
New Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/New-Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/925

The only thing not on sale is Infinity, which is here
https://www.comixology.com/Infinity/comics-series/11126?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

And here is redbackground's handy dandy reading order!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kXN9H4EYsw8c_QeDdSdemJioWeAqXAnznwTtPGUoBmE/edit#gid=0

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Senor Candle posted:

Cross posting this from the Digital Comics and Avengers thread.

Almost all of Hickman's Avengers run is on sale in case someone wants to binge to get ready for Secret Wars

Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/916?916_pg=2
New Avengers
https://www.comixology.com/New-Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/925

The only thing not on sale is Infinity, which is here
https://www.comixology.com/Infinity/comics-series/11126?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

And here is redbackground's handy dandy reading order!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kXN9H4EYsw8c_QeDdSdemJioWeAqXAnznwTtPGUoBmE/edit#gid=0

Literally bought everything last week. At full price. gently caress. :smith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Literally bought everything last week. At full price. gently caress. :smith:
Comixology has A++ support and might reimburse you for it, if you send them an email.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm getting my pull list ready for Secret Wars and the aftermath. Have they announced any comic titles for the post event outside of Uncanny Inhumans and the All new Avengers? Should I just operate under the assumption that most of my current series will be back or just leave it open?

With regards to the actual Secret Wars event, are there any series (outside of the main Secret Wars #1-8) that will be vital to the storyline? Like how during Civil War, getting New Avengers and Avengers were pretty important series with regards to filling in the blanks of the main line up.

So far I am pulling just the series that are based around events I enjoyed, like Inferno or Old Man Logan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

I'm getting my pull list ready for Secret Wars and the aftermath. Have they announced any comic titles for the post event outside of Uncanny Inhumans and the All new Avengers? Should I just operate under the assumption that most of my current series will be back or just leave it open?

With regards to the actual Secret Wars event, are there any series (outside of the main Secret Wars #1-8) that will be vital to the storyline? Like how during Civil War, getting New Avengers and Avengers were pretty important series with regards to filling in the blanks of the main line up.

So far I am pulling just the series that are based around events I enjoyed, like Inferno or Old Man Logan.
No post-Secret Wars announcements (beyond EVERYTHING IS BLOWING UP AND EVERYTHING WILL BE DIFFERENT!!!!!*), and solicits won't even be out for awhile, so leave it open for now, I guess.

Hickman's not writing any of the other stuff, so I imagine none will be vital, though that one that's just a bunch of lesser fights might be fun, I guess? Ultimate End will be important if you care about the Ultimate Universe.

*It'll be mostly back to normal and only a few things will be significantly different.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Since this thread was mainly just for the initial relaunching/universe smashing news I'm going to close it in a few hours if someone reading Hickman's Avengers wants to create an actual Secret Wars thread.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Waterhaul posted:

Since this thread was mainly just for the initial relaunching/universe smashing news I'm going to close it in a few hours if someone reading Hickman's Avengers wants to create an actual Secret Wars thread.

I have been working on one in secret and will do one tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

I have been working on one in secret and will do one tonight.
Batman's Shameful Secret › Secret Wars: To Infinity Gauntlet...and Beyonders!

• Locked thread