Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

last one I played was Tony Hawk: Project 8 which was pretty fun but had an absolutely retarded endgame. You had to basically perfect every challenge in the game to actually beat it. I think I made it up to like #5 and then trashed the game because it wasn't fun anymore.

Same here. Have there been any good skateboarding games since?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

he managed to post that in the 2 seconds i had that thread open

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I keep my opinions on various video game genres open in a notepad doc on my computer. My palms were almost too sweaty to grip the mouse, but I made it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
the gba isometric tony hawk games were good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Baahahahahah! Those physics are out of control!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i made a mistake and bought tony hawk hd on steam sale

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
thps2 is the best game in the series hands down

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

I really liked THUG1.

Also, this was a thing and was actually pretty good.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
thrasher: skate and destroy was hilarious

it had ragdolls before the ps1 could handle them so it ran at like 5fps and whenever you finished an area on time, you had the option of staying and running from a cop with a taser for bonus points but he was really fast

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

this. getting stuck in the ceiling and doing endless tricks only to glitch back down and land the sickest move ever was awesome

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
I liked playing THUG 2, but that was because it was different from the other Tony Hawk games at the time. :shrug:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

THUG2 had way too much bam margera JACKASS bullshit.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

thps3 had the crazy level editor with like a hundred premade levels, so that gets my nomination for best skating game

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I liked American Wasteland because it was aware of how awful it was, and the custom skate park was neat.

The old guy who teaches you to do the slomo thing tells you that you must grind a freeway sign over a busy street to learn the last lesson and when you do it, a bunch of cars blow up and he says something like "Holy poo poo, why would you really do that? I'm getting out of here before the cops come" and you never see him again

the parkour was fun

there was a section where you have to out-flatland a celebrity and the reason he's there is because they won't let him leave and he hasn't figured out how to get away

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

No Such Thing posted:

thps3 had the crazy level editor with like a hundred premade levels, so that gets my nomination for best skating game

thps2 also had this, and hall of pipes, which has insane speed and owned for horse

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

thps2 also had this, and hall of pipes, which has insane speed and owned for horse

I just remember making an all spike level and enabling fly mode with friends, and then we would just zoom around like neo and joust into each other.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm going to use this thread to talk about snowboarding games too.

SSX3 was probably the best of the bunch because you could start at the top of the mountain, put some music on, and spend the next 30 minutes busting tricks and grinding pipes on your way to the bottom with no loading screens.

SSX that came out a few years ago had some really terrible tracks but also some really good ones and the multiplayer was pretty cool.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

No Such Thing posted:

I just remember making an all spike level and enabling fly mode with friends, and then we would just zoom around like neo and joust into each other.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss me and a friend played tag like that

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Boarding games without Rodney are bullshit

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

THUG2 had way too much bam margera JACKASS bullshit.

Considering I rewatched the first three seasons of Viva La Bam last year I agree. That poo poo was cool/funny when I was in middle school. Now it's just sad.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I think my favorite was one of the TH;Underground games. Im pretty sure I used a gameshark to unlock everything and give me moonjump so I could scale buildings and explore areas that I wasn't supposed to see.

Good times.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

what exactly made the hdmake of tony hawk bad

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

what exactly made the hdmake of tony hawk bad

New music, ragdoll physics that are somehow bad, gameplay changes

it's not tony hawk hd, it's tony hawk with some old maps poorly remade

give me accurate warehouse or give me death

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Skate
Skate 2
Skate 3

close thread

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

skate.

or die.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone

Doctor Goat posted:

I liked American Wasteland because it was aware of how awful it was, and the custom skate park was neat.

The old guy who teaches you to do the slomo thing tells you that you must grind a freeway sign over a busy street to learn the last lesson and when you do it, a bunch of cars blow up and he says something like "Holy poo poo, why would you really do that? I'm getting out of here before the cops come" and you never see him again

the parkour was fun

there was a section where you have to out-flatland a celebrity and the reason he's there is because they won't let him leave and he hasn't figured out how to get away

On PS2 the online community was pretty sick. Everyone had gamesharks and shared codes on this one guys .tk website. I remember making a few custom maps with gaps that would freeze peoples ps2s because the name was well beyond the character limits. Also being able to air shuffle was sick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-6piDnhk4

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

so here i am

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Champ Baldoon posted:

On PS2 the online community was pretty sick. Everyone had gamesharks and shared codes on this one guys .tk website. I remember making a few custom maps with gaps that would freeze peoples ps2s because the name was well beyond the character limits. Also being able to air shuffle was sick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-6piDnhk4

this is still less drastic and powerful than the addition of manuals

Great Joe posted:

so here i am

thps1 soundtrack sticks out in my head just for this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

people always reference that okay superman song but never motherfucking Primus

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Someone once posted a site that had the first three Tony Hawk soundtracks on it. I used to blare that Ska on the way to work

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
THPS3 and THUG were the best games hands-down and I dunno how anyone can disagree honestly.

also

Bobnumerotres posted:

motherfucking Primus
for life

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

people always reference that okay superman song but never motherfucking Primus

SLF is the only cool rock or punk they had on those sound tracks.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Scyther posted:

Skate
Skate 2
Skate 3

close thread

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

THPS3 is the best game.
Skate 3 is the best game that actually resembles skateboarding.
X Games Pro Boarder is the best snowboard game. (Prob not really, just had rad levels and a rad soundtrack)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

How can you beat Tricky? hhhooooowwwww nnnggggggg

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

SLF is the only cool rock or punk they had on those sound tracks.

no ironic posting please listen to primus my friend

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

winonas big brown beaver

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
the last time I played an extreme sports game was Skitchin, and that game owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

spider-man in thps2 was the peak of original american art