Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Too scummy to be scum? Ha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Just came up with a great trivia team name, Trivvy Azalea. Original name do not steal.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Obligatory ##vote merk

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

True and Real posted:

MEINBERG, give me your take on the roles claimed by Keane and Ernie in as much detail as possible, and tell me what you think of Chic's sideline not-ready-to-jump-in analysis.

My first reaction to Ernie's claim is that it's complete and utter bullshit. But on the other hand, if Ernie actually has that role, it's good that he claimed it this early. I would expand, but my thoughts are still in process, and I don't want to risk the possibility of exposing other town power roles to scrutiny due to me being accidentally correct in my random flailing.

I have my doubts about whether Keane is joking or not. On the one hand, my finely honed instinct says that Keane is being ironic. On the other hand, my ~gut~ tells me other things, that Keane is hiding behind his typical irony in order to, in fact, soft claim that he has a power role. Or perhaps, and this is the most likely, that he's actually a vanilla town, and that is his powerful role. There is too much irony to properly parse.

Chic is attempting to generate content without generating content. You might say that I'm engaging in the same sort of behavior, but my ambivalence is due to the inherent ambiguity of the situation.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Meinberg I'm sorry the doctors said there was nothing they could do, your post was so bad it had to be put down.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Meinberg I'm sorry the doctors said there was nothing they could do, your post was so bad it had to be put down.

gently caress

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

:swish:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I have failed the game of mafia

well goodbye

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I haven't even read Ernie's claim and I'm sure he lying

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Confirmed

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

how is it swish it doesn't even take the shot

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You miss 100% of the posts you don't make

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Despite finding Dickgnoll's approach to generating thread content forced, apparently it worked. The aggressive approach on Meinberg gave me a false positive on him at first but it makes sense to me as town now.

While the actual reads in Meinberg's post are fine I can't ignore the presentation. It's entirely too self aware and reaching. The callout on Chic is what makes it for me, it's as though he read the last couple posts and thought he needed to say more. I am tempted to say "That's just Meinberg," but I know he'll do it for me. Would vote.

Ernie's claim strikes me as true. I think it'd be to our benefit to not tunnel in on that discussion as it's going to be a huge distraction. His summation of Keane was very close to my intepretation.

Ernie. posted:

Neither do I, and I think he's scum for them. Keane likes to be zany and jumpy but there's a blood-thirsty quality to them that is entirely lacking in self-doubt that makes him probably very scum.

Yeah, I have trouble reading Keane's posts as anything other than overeager scum play. ##vote CCKeane

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ernie. posted:

Rascyc and Kaschei.

Two people that are good town players but difficult to read as scum.
was that before or after I counter-claimed doctor when I was in reality, the town cop with no results

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^ that was a breadcrumb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't want to vote Keane D1, it's been too long since I played with the darling of SA mafia :(

I think we should lynch Ernie. Even if his claim is true, we should get him out of the way so the watcher/tracker can get proper results if they find the nightkill.

##vote Ernie

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I misread Dickgnoll as Dickgolf and lost my train of thought

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I invite you to do the same

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ecco you should have started this after the weekend

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

I don't want to vote Keane D1, it's been too long since I played with the darling of SA mafia :(

I think we should lynch Ernie. Even if his claim is true, we should get him out of the way so the watcher/tracker can get proper results if they find the nightkill.

##vote Ernie
I don't want to lynch Keane either

Somberbrero posted:

I really do not care for those Keane posts, actually.
stop it, open your heart, Keane is ok

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to let you guys know I can cast Identify as a free (night) action, I'm like a loving Wizard

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

So since both Keane and Diqnol have said they have ~powerful~ roles, I'm going to assume it's a role madness game and I should offer up what I know before it blows up later.

I'm a 'Serial Miller'. I investigate as scum to a weak doctor or cop, and can be seen performing the nightkill to watchers or trackers. I clarified with Ecco and she said that I basically 'mask' the nightkiller to a watcher and appear to be the only visiter instead, but there may be abilities that undo this.
how would this interact with an Ecco cop?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know I can cast Identify as a free (night) action, I'm like a loving Wizard

I'm a diviner and do the same thing.

Ernie. posted:

So since both Keane and Diqnol have said they have ~powerful~ roles, I'm going to assume it's a role madness game and I should offer up what I know before it blows up later.

I'm a 'Serial Miller'. I investigate as scum to a weak doctor or cop, and can be seen performing the nightkill to watchers or trackers. I clarified with Ecco and she said that I basically 'mask' the nightkiller to a watcher and appear to be the only visiter instead, but there may be abilities that undo this.

So if I understand your claim correctly, you are not only a miller but you mask killers to a watcher, give false positives to trackers and are a killing role for weak docs, right? But your post leads with saying it's the fact two people have vaguely claimed ~powerful~ roles that means you think this is a role madness game and that you should claim; not the complex and anti-town nature of your role itself that informs your speculation and necessitates the claim?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

The only way I'd ever believe that claim would be if it was done immediately as that is a supremely lovely role that is bound to get you cuddled eventually if you don't claim, so I believe Ernie.

I don't like this post, seems unnecessarily wordy, maybe that's an aesthetic complaint more than anything useful mafia-wise, but it made me wonder if it could be an attempt to look like she's saying more than she is.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Why is everyone claiming. Stfu.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Yay oh lovely posts! I should be leaving already but I will say--

I think it's weird Ernie claimed but didn't claim in his first post. He votes Keane first with ~vibes~ and participated in the Lumpen content thing.

If I had such a lovely role it would be the first thing on my mind, and what Keane and Diqsol said wouldn't be the turning point of MMM YES NOW I should claim.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

True and Real posted:

Everyone name two people you would cop out of the gate in this game.

You and merk. Ernie's a close third before his super miller claim.

Speaking off,

Ernie. posted:

A weak doc or cop dies if they hit scum, right? So Ernie's not saying he investigates as scum to a weak doc or cop, he's saying he would kill one if they visited him. And as long as he's alive, he's saying that watchers and trackers are useless for finding "the nightkiller." If there are multiple kills, does he mask all of them that night? Ernie, can you clarify that?

CCKeane posted:

It'll get shittier the more you talk about it so hush up. Ernest made his claim early and I don't think this needs to go further than what he's said.

Ernie's role as claimed is important to understand because it directly affects other town roles. The number of claims being made right now are stupid, but they do tell a story, and Ernie's claim has an effect on how people should play their night actions. Let me lay out a few things in my next post about what I think is happening, then I'll move on to talking about alignments later.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It isn't an invalid thought to maybe lynch Ernie immediately. If he's being honest, he prevents town from using the night for useful information gathering if, say, we have an ecco cop. Secondly, the claim is super convenient and something Ernie would do as scum for a laugh. Third, Ernie is a fucker. I'll revisit this idea later but for a d1 lynch, it's not such a bad idea.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

One group of bandits - the Sisters of Hecate - were particularly successful at raiding trade caravans, looting temples, and adventuring into the deepest and darkest regions of Arrentia in search of long lost treasure. Over their history they've managed to assemble quite the haul of gold coins, jewelry, and magickal artifacts of all shapes and sizes. Many brave souls have attempted to destroy the bandits (and run away with as much gold as they could carry), but the Sisters are resilient, and have withstood assault time and time again.

So it was with shock that the bandits found their leader stabbed in the back one morning with an enchanted dagger. They had a traitor in their midsts - someone (or someones) has infiltrated the gang, gained their confidence, and breached the treasury! These villains must be brought at once to justice. Bandit justice.

Notice the bolded parts. I think we're in an items game, where powers are provided by items in addition to intrinsic role powers.

bowmore posted:

Puntification posted:

I'm a diviner and do the same thing.

And here it sounds like the powers given by the items are unknown, because these are two people claiming the power to identify. It's DnD, and you can either wait for an identify or can use the item blind. And that brings us back to Ernie's claim. Let's say you've got an item, but you don't know the specific power it gives you on use. You use it on Ernie, and it turns out that it was a weak doc power. You're dead. That's true regardless of whether Ernie is telling the truth or not, because either he's scum or he's exactly what he claimed.

So Ernie, with this claim, is effectively off limits for any night actions. Without his claim, there's a real chance that he would have killed several random item users. If you have an item and you don't know what it does, stay away from Ernie.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

It isn't an invalid thought to maybe lynch Ernie immediately. If he's being honest, he prevents town from using the night for useful information gathering if, say, we have an ecco cop. Secondly, the claim is super convenient and something Ernie would do as scum for a laugh. Third, Ernie is a fucker. I'll revisit this idea later but for a d1 lynch, it's not such a bad idea.

I'm not convinced on the claim yet, honestly. I keep going back and forth because making the claim as he did lines up perfectly with him being the scum nightkiller or an SK and trying to set up to avoid being labeled as such, but it's an Ecco game. I'm stuck in this weird loop of whether or not I would believe Ecco would make a role like that.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

kaschei posted:

You've been drinking again, I haven't been a good town player in years

You were a good town player?

CCKeane posted:

Both Diqnol and I claimed remarkably powerful roles. Ernest decided to climb right in.

You and Diqnol (both known to lie when you want) literally said, "I have a powerful role" and nothing else. Ernie claimed one of the most hosed up miller roles I've ever seen.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Puntification posted:

So if I understand your claim correctly, you are not only a miller but you mask killers to a watcher, give false positives to trackers and are a killing role for weak docs, right? But your post leads with saying it's the fact two people have vaguely claimed ~powerful~ roles that means you think this is a role madness game and that you should claim; not the complex and anti-town nature of your role itself that informs your speculation and necessitates the claim?

Punt summed up everything I was trying to say in multiple posts in a single paragraph.

Someone explain to me, why Keane? Don't use the excuse of Akward Posting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Hello

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Byers2142 posted:

I'm not convinced on the claim yet, honestly. I keep going back and forth because making the claim as he did lines up perfectly with him being the scum nightkiller or an SK and trying to set up to avoid being labeled as such, but it's an Ecco game. I'm stuck in this weird loop of whether or not I would believe Ecco would make a role like that.

Byers2142 posted:

Punt summed up everything I was trying to say in multiple posts in a single paragraph.

Someone explain to me, why Keane? Don't use the excuse of Akward Posting.

He jumped into the game with a pr claim, a post restriction to lighten his move, and an immediate shift to someone else. That makes sense to me as scum, less so as town. It says he doesn't want us to believe his claim, but also that we should, and also that he doesn't care who is lynched. His response to my accusation is also bad.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ah, I see it kept the first post quoted. I guess I'll say that Ernie's role as claimed suggests he's the optimal d1 lynch barring shenanigans.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Take on Ernie claim and Keane early approach

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I expect the posting to kick up soon. This is an ecco game, dangit!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

您好

True and Real posted:

Ah, I see it kept the first post quoted. I guess I'll say that Ernie's role as claimed suggests he's the optimal d1 lynch barring shenanigans.

Here's the thing, you're making an alignment call on Keane but not considering Ernie from the perspective of his alignment. You want to lynch Ernie irregardless of his alignment; I'm trying to figure out whether I believe him based on alignment (and a bit of consideration about Ecco as a mod). You know how I feel about arguments for lynch that are alignment-neutral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Did Diqnol get a name and avatar change?

• Locked thread