Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Fits you are breaking my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
like, come on, son

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

fits posted:

Day 1: Rarity, Lucilia meg-Mullanor, Thief (town-aligned thief), executed.

....Random.org give me a different number....

18, Tremendous Taste.

Let me make sure he's not dead...yea okay doesn't seem dead.

You answer the questions then.

1 scum, 1 town, reasons.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

True and Real posted:

Amnistar what do you think of asiina, same for you fits

Nothing stood out in the first 10 pages I read.

In the recent stuff I can't say that I have the context for some of the things you're posting but I don't like this post:

Asiina posted:

I believe both of these people are scum.

Why does it matter where my vote sits between the two of them?

It feels disingenuous.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Click the question mark below her name please

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

True and Real posted:

Amnistar what do you think of asiina, same for you fits

Asiina posted:

I believe Chic's breadcrumb and that she did give out an item, but don't think it says anything about her alignment.

Reading through her post history though she is very wishy-washy with all of her opinions. It's pretty much all hedging.

##unvote
##vote Chic

I still think EP is scum though.

This is an incredibly dumb and bad post. Wishy-washy is the best they could come up with?

True and Real posted:

:effort:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Here's her context: she lurked a ton due to real life, came into the thread and only looked at vote leaders. Fine, fine, it was close to deadline. Thing is, she continued to only look at those vote leaders today. And now this!!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
But whats her ~meta~ on that????

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

True and Real posted:

...well I can't blame her for not wanting to read through everything but yea...wow.

##vote Asinii

Do you have opinions on anyone at all? That are your own opinions? Because I don't see any in your post history.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fits posted:

But whats her ~meta~ on that????

Better than that. Fortunately who cares.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have lots of opinions, but frankly the tone of this game has really put me off on it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Asiina posted:

I have lots of opinions, but frankly the tone of this game has really put me off on it.

:qq: is the best you could come up with?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yep!

I have no interest in playing the "I'm going to say things I don't believe in in order to provoke a reaction!" game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

Yep!

I have no interest in playing the "I'm going to say things I don't believe in in order to provoke a reaction!" game.

You have just described the game of mafia and made an ironic statement given how you have said things you don't mean so far this game

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

You have just described the game of mafia and made an ironic statement given how you have said things you don't mean so far this game

No, mafia doesn't have to be a whole bunch of "haha I was just doing that to see what you would say" arguments.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Amnistar posted:

##vote Asinii

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The best part is I already have Asiini as a votefinder alias because of another game someone couldn't spell it right. I thought it was Amni in Civ2, but I guess not.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

The best part is I already have Asiini as a votefinder alias because of another game someone couldn't spell it right. I thought it was Amni in Civ2, but I guess not.

Man, using votefinder seems like it would be so much easier.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Sorry...##vote: Asiina

Didn't realize I'd spelt it wrong?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Amnistar posted:

Sorry...##vote: Asiina

Didn't realize I'd spelt it wrong?

oh honey:

Asinii!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

No, mafia doesn't have to be a whole bunch of "haha I was just doing that to see what you would say" arguments.

And this is what you think my vote on you is?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

And this is what you think my vote on you is?

I have no idea what your vote on me is. This is why I haven't been participating much since I got back. It's been a frustrating game to read.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This has basically been a 2+2 game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Asiina posted:

This has basically been a 2+2 game.

Accurate.

Yeah, I've pretty much put this game onto the backburner because I don't want to deal with the stress of dealing with a lot of it. I'm going to try to put some time in tonight, thouh.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ah, if you feel that way, I have a secondary reason to vote for you.

How about instead of stamping your feet around because you're getting voted for, you continue to play and, idk, be the change you want to see in the thread.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think this day has been way chiller than day 1, stop the :tbear:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Alright, I took a look through some things. But first, I want to address this:

Byers2142 posted:

Why do you feel it necessary to dictate that skepticism in your posts?

Because it's intellectually honest, it's presenting a truthful and accurate view of my own beliefs. Obfuscating those ideas behind false confidence seems scummy to me. :shrug:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of big personalities posting in this thread that I find difficult to read because it feels like a lot of what they say or how they say it is disingenuous but they write it off as trying to provoke a reaction. I seriously doubt all of these people are scum, but if town people aren't being honest in their reads then it feels like the whole thing falls apart. I've tried to go back and read a whole bunch of people and keep running into the same wall of people doing things they don't necessarily believe in, so instead I just close the tab and go back to doing something else.

So instead of trying to read from the beginning I just picked up where the conversation was. I saw the case developing against Chic, so I read her and agreed with it, and posted so.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Personally, I just never believe in anything.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Personally, I just never believe in anything.

You're an inspiration to us all.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My reads are mostly genuine. I do, at times, vote someone so they don't think they can laze along or I want to see if they react in a way that doesn't make sense as town but I'd say that's the exception not the rule and is usually confined to d1. I don't understand whats so hard to get. Who particularly is "faking reads"? Please, I want to know your specific complaint.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I decided to go back through the thread and look at things in light of Punt's flip.

Primarily, he was a low engagement player with a claimed power role, which makes him a logical target of a night kill. His flip being accurate, however, puts some question onto Bowmore's claim, and the next thing I do will be to go through Bowmore's history and see if anything emerges.

The only strong opinions that Punt puts forth are on EP and Somber, with his stance on the former more or less coinciding with the rest of the thread's, while his opinion on Somber seems to be a reaction to Somber's tendency towards aggressive play.

The only person with a notable negative reactions to Punt is wins, who places him high on his scum list, despite not having mentioned Punt before and offering no explanation for the placement. It's bad play, to say the least.

Merk makes a sarcastic remark in regard to Punt's early game and Diqnol inquires into why Punt and Bowmore claimed, which ultimately spiraled out into a whole great big thing.

Still, upon the re-read, it's Bowmore and Wins that come off the worst, and while I will give them each a read through of their history, I still feel a bit of WIFOM related uncertainty. I'll probably take a re-read looking for Rarity related posts first, to see if that provides any further context.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Why not Ernest?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Why Ernest?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

fits posted:

Why Ernest?

Ernest is also dead, and we will never know the importance of his being.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Why not Ernest?

Ernie created a lot of talk around him, related to his fake claim and the fallout that emerged from it. I don't think I have the skill required to analyze the sheer quantity of posts that resulted from it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

CCKeane posted:

Ernest is also dead, and we will never know the importance of his being.

:negative:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

This game is going to hell in...

a handbag?!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fits posted:

This is an incredibly dumb and bad post. Wishy-washy is the best they could come up with?

:effort:

So why aren't you voting for Asiina then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

My reads are mostly genuine. I do, at times, vote someone so they don't think they can laze along or I want to see if they react in a way that doesn't make sense as town but I'd say that's the exception not the rule and is usually confined to d1. I don't understand whats so hard to get. Who particularly is "faking reads"? Please, I want to know your specific complaint.

It's not just faking reads, but being disingenuous with content either in tone or claims.

One was Ernie and his fake claim.

I remember Byers saying something about making arguments in order to change how mafia is played on SA rather than actually doing something for alignment reasons, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Then we have TNL and these posts during his argument with you at the beginning of the game, which makes the whole thing seem fake:

The Ninth Layer posted:

We've been talking for like ten minutes. Are you already getting tired? Man, back in the day people really knew how to get into a good argument.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyway I think it's time to see if I can find a better home for my vote. It was fun chatting with you Diqnol, I'm keeping an eye on you.

merk admits that he was behaving a certain way to provoke a response:

merk posted:

I was responding here in an intentionally abrasive way to see what you'd do.

I need to stop looking because I need to make dinner, but this is a little sample of what I'm finding trying to read through the thread. They really annoy me though because it makes me wonder if I can believe anything that lead up to that post or anything that comes after it.

As for my opinions on these people I feel good about Byers, bad about TNL, and who the hell knows about merk.

I think Byers setup spec is a null tell since I think we've all been tempted to dive into setup spec before, especially in Ecco games when they usually have something interesting going on, but I feel very good about the rest of his content. He responds reasonably to the people going after him and he isn't afraid to put down justified opinions on a lot of other people.

TNL's argument with Diqnol at the beginning of the game makes absolutely no sense to me. Trying too hard and "forcing yourself to be the town leader" are ridiculous things to say are scummy. It is possible for scum to be in a town leader position, but that doesn't mean trying to take it on is scummy. I honestly don't even know if he believes it though since he spontaneously drops it.

Later on he gives a very strong defense on Rarity, repeatedly saying he wouldn't vote for her, but then at deadline he says that he's not opposed to it. He never explains why he was suddenly okay with it. At that point she had only one vote on her and there was 3 hours left, so it wasn't a need to hit deadline

He says some other things I disagree with like on how to build cases (so does merk) and whether breadcrumbs or claims are useful, but I'm not sure if I'm biased to think that's scummy because I approach the game differently. Overall though I get a scummy vibe off of TNL's content.

• Locked thread