Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You did it, I'm so proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
We're #1, we're #1!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
What ever happened to bsubsubsus?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The only way I'd ever believe that claim would be if it was done immediately as that is a supremely lovely role that is bound to get you cuddled eventually if you don't claim, so I believe Ernie.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I did not except this game to start over the weekend and also didn't expect such a flurry of posts right out of the gate. The exterminator is finally coming on Monday to deal with my moth situation, so I have to get ready and make sure all my closets and cupboards are cleaned out so I don't have time to read 300+ posts this weekend.

I should have some time Monday afternoon since I'll be in a hotel for the night with nothing to do. I'll do a substantial catch-up then.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So my mom decided to come down and stay at the hotel with me to help me out, which is awesome cause I was totally overwhelmed but I can't be all sorry mom I have to ignore you to read four thousand posts on the internet in my phone, so no reads today.

She is leaving tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to read the thread in at least some depth before deadline. Apologies for being a lurking shitheel, its just been a really crazy weekend for me.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I finally have a little bit of time, but there's no way I'm going to be able to read 30 pages. Who should I concentrate on?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I read the three vote leaders.

I read through wins and I'm not seeing it. Nothing jumps out at me as scummy. Even reading through other people's cases on him, I'm not getting it. Everything he says appears internally consistent and he follows through on his opinions on people.

EP I definitely do not like. He's jokey and snipey, and hasn't produced any content.

Epsilon Plus posted:

I cannot begin to delve into this unreasonable heap of posts currently other than to say that I think one of the three of Byers, Meinberg and Rarity is probably scum based on my current reads. Somber is probably town. Maybe. It is hard because a gross majority of the thread hasn't posted enough. I'm really hoping D2 gives us more information to work off of. And more people posting.

This is as close as he comes to having an opinion on anyone. Also his posts snapping back at Keane feel more like caught scum flailing than frustrated townie.

Meinberg I always find incredibly hard to read because he will always be wishy-washy and will always concede points against himself even when he's town. His posts in this game are no different.

I think EP is the best bet, I would also vote Meinberg. I don't want to vote wins.

##vote EP

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to make dinner, but I will be around for deadline.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Please read wins in isolation and say something about him.

I'm feeling good about wins.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

If the following players have not posted by the end of today (11:59PM EDT, or about 8 hours from this post), I will be seeking their replacement.

- kaschei
- Asiina

rekt

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

His logic throughout D1 felt really consistent and earnest. He was trying to engage people while still putting out his own opinions and at the end of the day he was pushing people to vote even if it got him hanged.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

Does this mean you actually read D1 or did you just read Wins' post history?

I've skimmed D1, but I read wins, EP, and Meinberg before deadline yesterday.

EP has continued to not say anything to change my opinion of him.

##vote Epsilon Plus

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I read the three vote leaders.

I read through wins and I'm not seeing it. Nothing jumps out at me as scummy. Even reading through other people's cases on him, I'm not getting it. Everything he says appears internally consistent and he follows through on his opinions on people.

EP I definitely do not like. He's jokey and snipey, and hasn't produced any content.

This is as close as he comes to having an opinion on anyone. Also his posts snapping back at Keane feel more like caught scum flailing than frustrated townie.

Meinberg I always find incredibly hard to read because he will always be wishy-washy and will always concede points against himself even when he's town. His posts in this game are no different.

I think EP is the best bet, I would also vote Meinberg. I don't want to vote wins.

##vote EP

This was my catchup post yesterday. These opinions still hold today.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I feel like everything I know about Ecco is shrouded in lies.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

yuming posted:

I have enough information to declare Asiina scummy!

(1)

Doesn't actually look at context Ernie (fake)-claimed in. He used a liar-liar qualifier to explain why he was claiming after his first post.

(2)

Asiina is content to only offer opinions on popular candidates, then sit on them. Don't like!

I only offered opinions on popular candidates because there were 30+ pages and it was deadline day. I quoted my post again because I still believe that EP is scum and that wins is town, which was the subject of the conversation.

As for Ernie, it was a good point about why his role would be suspicious which I didn't consider at the time of making that post. Things got crazy for me after that and I never returned to the conversation to clarify.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I believe Chic's breadcrumb and that she did give out an item, but don't think it says anything about her alignment.

Reading through her post history though she is very wishy-washy with all of her opinions. It's pretty much all hedging.

##unvote
##vote Chic

I still think EP is scum though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

##unvote
##vote asiina

That is the fakest vote I've ever seen. You're convinced EP is scum before this, then switch to Chic because shes got some traction but hedge the gently caress out of that vote and STILL MAINTAIN you find EP scummy. That's ridiculous!

Finding two people scummy at the same time is impossible?

I'm also not hedging about Chic, I just don't think that her breadcrumb is related.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I believe both of these people are scum.

Why does it matter where my vote sits between the two of them?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have lots of opinions, but frankly the tone of this game has really put me off on it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yep!

I have no interest in playing the "I'm going to say things I don't believe in in order to provoke a reaction!" game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

You have just described the game of mafia and made an ironic statement given how you have said things you don't mean so far this game

No, mafia doesn't have to be a whole bunch of "haha I was just doing that to see what you would say" arguments.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The best part is I already have Asiini as a votefinder alias because of another game someone couldn't spell it right. I thought it was Amni in Civ2, but I guess not.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

And this is what you think my vote on you is?

I have no idea what your vote on me is. This is why I haven't been participating much since I got back. It's been a frustrating game to read.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This has basically been a 2+2 game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of big personalities posting in this thread that I find difficult to read because it feels like a lot of what they say or how they say it is disingenuous but they write it off as trying to provoke a reaction. I seriously doubt all of these people are scum, but if town people aren't being honest in their reads then it feels like the whole thing falls apart. I've tried to go back and read a whole bunch of people and keep running into the same wall of people doing things they don't necessarily believe in, so instead I just close the tab and go back to doing something else.

So instead of trying to read from the beginning I just picked up where the conversation was. I saw the case developing against Chic, so I read her and agreed with it, and posted so.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Personally, I just never believe in anything.

You're an inspiration to us all.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

My reads are mostly genuine. I do, at times, vote someone so they don't think they can laze along or I want to see if they react in a way that doesn't make sense as town but I'd say that's the exception not the rule and is usually confined to d1. I don't understand whats so hard to get. Who particularly is "faking reads"? Please, I want to know your specific complaint.

It's not just faking reads, but being disingenuous with content either in tone or claims.

One was Ernie and his fake claim.

I remember Byers saying something about making arguments in order to change how mafia is played on SA rather than actually doing something for alignment reasons, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Then we have TNL and these posts during his argument with you at the beginning of the game, which makes the whole thing seem fake:

The Ninth Layer posted:

We've been talking for like ten minutes. Are you already getting tired? Man, back in the day people really knew how to get into a good argument.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyway I think it's time to see if I can find a better home for my vote. It was fun chatting with you Diqnol, I'm keeping an eye on you.

merk admits that he was behaving a certain way to provoke a response:

merk posted:

I was responding here in an intentionally abrasive way to see what you'd do.

I need to stop looking because I need to make dinner, but this is a little sample of what I'm finding trying to read through the thread. They really annoy me though because it makes me wonder if I can believe anything that lead up to that post or anything that comes after it.

As for my opinions on these people I feel good about Byers, bad about TNL, and who the hell knows about merk.

I think Byers setup spec is a null tell since I think we've all been tempted to dive into setup spec before, especially in Ecco games when they usually have something interesting going on, but I feel very good about the rest of his content. He responds reasonably to the people going after him and he isn't afraid to put down justified opinions on a lot of other people.

TNL's argument with Diqnol at the beginning of the game makes absolutely no sense to me. Trying too hard and "forcing yourself to be the town leader" are ridiculous things to say are scummy. It is possible for scum to be in a town leader position, but that doesn't mean trying to take it on is scummy. I honestly don't even know if he believes it though since he spontaneously drops it.

Later on he gives a very strong defense on Rarity, repeatedly saying he wouldn't vote for her, but then at deadline he says that he's not opposed to it. He never explains why he was suddenly okay with it. At that point she had only one vote on her and there was 3 hours left, so it wasn't a need to hit deadline

He says some other things I disagree with like on how to build cases (so does merk) and whether breadcrumbs or claims are useful, but I'm not sure if I'm biased to think that's scummy because I approach the game differently. Overall though I get a scummy vibe off of TNL's content.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
As for my vote on Chic, it's not that sometimes she's wishy-washy, it's that almost every post of hers with an opinion she hedges or votes without any kind of explanation.

Hedging:

Chic Trombone posted:

Hi I'm back in the dorms from swing club. Ernie's claim is weird but this is an ecco game so anything is possible I guess. Idk why he claimed this early tho? Did you flip a coin whether to claim or not Ernie

Chic Trombone posted:

I do agree it was bad that taste grabbed everything btw, not sure if it's scummy but it sure was rude !!

Chic Trombone posted:

Personally I'm leaning town on wins right now but I think it's suspicious that all his preferred lynch candidates yesterday were lurkers

Chic Trombone posted:

I always consider wanting to lynch lurkers on D1 supicious, because it gives town very little information from the flip. D2-on it's fine but on D1? nooot so much

Chic Trombone posted:

I disagree because I feel like going into D2 the town needs information more than anything else, though I can see your point

Chic Trombone posted:

But the BP wouldn't protect him from a lynch? I dunno man if you think he's scum that's fine I think he was being scummy too but I don't see how the BP would make you think he's MORE scummy

No explanation:

Chic Trombone posted:

A couple of impressions from where I am in reading this game (pg 16)

Diqnol and Ras feel townie, neutral on Byers, no real scumpicks yet

Chic Trombone posted:

Ok I did so really quick and I feel the worst about EP so ##vote Epsilon Plus

Chic Trombone posted:

Ok after a read of Rarity I agree they look like a decent lynch ##vote Rarity

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If only there was a handy website that kept track of the people who play games on something awful mafia.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

yuming posted:

we're like swimming in word molasses here!

This is a very well put description of this thread.

I am marking all day, but I will read Somber and TT at some point today.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm around. I will probably replace out of this game, since I'm finding it just exceedingly difficult to care about it. Sorry Ecco.

I'm fine with my Chic vote. I'd switch to Somber at deadline to prevent a no lynch, but not other than that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
:ghost: Ghost reunion! :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Well done everyone, this was fun to keep track of after I was gone.

The combination of an insane day 1 and me holding onto the nightkill was just too much pressure for me, especially when Ecco suggested that if I died it would die with me.

• Locked thread