Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

But you already have the "sounding like an rear end in a top hat talking" market cornered!

Amazing it sounded just like Keane three hours after eating a can of beans!!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Argue with every post you make like Gollum

wow look at this pretend nerd

Gollum doesn't argue with himself, he argues with Smeagol

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

We're #1, we're #1!

So a mountain, a set of teeth, a breeze of wind, an egg and the test of time walked into a goblin cave...

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm not in this game cause ecco is evil, so definitely don't vote me.

I wish Ecco would ask us to vote on whether or not to let you in right now.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

I think democracy as an institution is inherently patriarchal and coercive and mod people should be dismantling it entirely rather than expanding it.

You heard it first here, folks. Ecco is going to be deciding who gets puppy cuddled in this game. ~zany mechanic~

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

merk has used quotation marks in his last two posts. The last time he did that was in X-Men mafia where he was scum. ##vote merk

merk posted:

This is a great case, but in Megaten Mafia merk was a Town Doctor who used quotation marks in two posts in a row and was killed night 1. I don't want to vote out a power role on day 1.

Okay I'm getting two conflicting stories here. Merk says merk did this recently as scum but merk says merk has done this as town before. If merk is right then merk was being disingenuous and so ##vote merk.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

If merk is right then merk was being disingenuous and so ##vote merk.

This is a case based on 100% logic.

Why aren't player people listening to me?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

Ok, well, this was a good break. I am going to go back to writing this patent application.

A mafia game Comprises:
1) The word 'This' appended to the word 'is' appended to the word 'like' and an example given.
2) All scenarios where the example given is a historically (in)accurate reference to an old mafia game.
3) All scenarios where the example given is a completely made up story.

Speaking of patents, my application has been in review for 4 years now. Thanks, Harper.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc posted:

does anyone have a good non-cake baking recipe, I want to bake something new

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/05/29/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-brownies-take-two/

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc posted:

That cookie dough brownie recipe is just like two recipes smashed together, I dunno about that.

It is really good.

But on a serious note, I always recommend friends try Egyptian Semolina Cake. It's unlike any other cake you've ever tasted and yet it's 10x as delicious.

For savory try something like a Beef Wellington.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc and Kaschei.

Two people that are good town players but difficult to read as scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

##vote CCKeane

Keane has a ~vibe~ about him.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

So since both Keane and Diqnol have said they have ~powerful~ roles, I'm going to assume it's a role madness game and I should offer up what I know before it blows up later.

I'm a 'Serial Miller'. I investigate as scum to a weak doctor or cop, and can be seen performing the nightkill to watchers or trackers. I clarified with Ecco and she said that I basically 'mask' the nightkiller to a watcher and appear to be the only visiter instead, but there may be abilities that undo this.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I really do not care for those Keane posts, actually.

Neither do I, and I think he's scum for them. Keane likes to be zany and jumpy but there's a blood-thirsty quality to them that is entirely lacking in self-doubt that makes him probably very scum.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

Canadians don't have jail, just the penalty box.

Actually, it's called the 'aboot time box', and as long as you're in it it's optional for people to apologize to you when they wrong you.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Sorry I've been busy. Yeah my claim was made up. I could easily tell diqnol knew it too so I stayed quiet when I could have interjected otherwise just to let it play out. I've already breadcrumbed my real role so you can all rest safe that I won't be changing my story anymore.

I have a lot of thoughts about how people reacted but I will be busy until 2pm est today and then I will dump them - I'm actually phone posting right now.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Mega-post time. First ##unvote.

So whoever the scum are that saw me do that they knew a few things (1) Either I'm town and fake-claiming, in which case they can use it to their advantage. (2) Either I'm an SK in which case they'd want me gone. (3) I'm town and not fake-claiming, in which case they'd want me around. Scum would try to hit a middle-ground between all of these.

But then the thread kindof all piled on and scum would've just been happy with the direction of things and may have changed their opinions slightly.

First, let's get a few people out of the way. Opop, Rascyc and Diqnol saw right through it, so I'm not reading into their reactions at all (although I lean town on both because why make posts that interrupt the poo poo-show if you're scum?).

Asiina sorta went awol after the claim, so there's nothing to be read into that, either.

bowmore posted:

how would this interact with an Ecco cop?

bowmore posted:

probably won't because 90%
Of mafia players would rather use an item not knowing what it is than send it to me and get it identified because that would be "boring"

bowmore immediately tests the claim, and then his one concern is getting to do cool stuff with his role, feels town to me

Byers2142 posted:

A weak doc or cop dies if they hit scum, right? So Ernie's not saying he investigates as scum to a weak doc or cop, he's saying he would kill one if they visited him. And as long as he's alive, he's saying that watchers and trackers are useless for finding "the nightkiller." If there are multiple kills, does he mask all of them that night? Ernie, can you clarify that?

This feels exactly like the kind of tip-toeing to hit the balance that I'd expect scum to do and it eventually escalates to:

Byers2142 posted:

Ernie's claim is the perfect cover for a scum who is making the kills or an SK. "Guy, I'm going to ping as scum, and if anyone is weak who visits me they'll die, and you'll see me seeming to make the kills at night, but I'm really town and it's all my role." You can't just ignore that for a day.

The more I think about it, the more compelling the point that several of us brought up about what drove his claims seems to come from a scum perspective.

On that note, ##vote Ernie

Really, there's no actual logical reason for Byers not to think I was fake-claiming. He just hand-waved it away because he felt the thread's momentum going one way. That said, I always think Byers is scummy so I am considering that when I make my case against him here.

CCKeane posted:

EP

TNL

Wins

Diqnol

Asiina

Keane and I share pretty much all of these opinions. I feel good about Keane. At least if he's scum he doesn't seem to be pushing an agenda at all.

Chic Trombone posted:

Hi I'm back in the dorms from swing club. Ernie's claim is weird but this is an ecco game so anything is possible I guess. Idk why he claimed this early tho? Did you flip a coin whether to claim or not Ernie

Chic Trombone posted:

What, exactly, do you consider "faking" content to be, Somber? Because I don't really think there is such a thing as "fake content"

I usually give Chic some leeway because she some times says the wrong thing at the wrong time but I feel like standing back and shooting questions is guarded play in a game with so many people. She could toss out any opinion and it would be okay. But she hasn't.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Nope, I'm VT. Also that's an incredibly lovely role.

Claiming with me in this situation feels like a townie thing. It feels like it comes from a place where EP thought 'Nah maybe Ecco's loving with us.'

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Byers, you've made a bunch of posts saying you wouldn't lynch someone you thought was town in your defence of Ernie, but this argument is only relevant if you actually think Ernie is town.

Do you?

This is the kind of 'catch' I always like because I think this way, too. At the time the juxtaposition of Byers going at me full-throttle but simultaneously telling someone else they shouldn't be puppy cuddling someone they thought is town was a little to thick for me.

___

I'm skipping Kaschei because it's all jokes.
___

Meinberg posted:

At the moment, time is the greatest resource we have. There's 105 hours until the deadline, and even if the inquiry down specific paths proves to be fruitless, these inquiries are a good way of encouraging discussion and exposing faulty logic.

Basically what I'm saying is that Somber is being bad.

This posts gives me such weird vibes. The emphasis on saying the word 'we', the claim to townieness, the willingness to be helpful and put other people on the chopping block. It just feels like fake concern-posting.

merk posted:

##vote Diqnol

This is a huge exaggeration.

merk posted:

Cool, I'm done for day 1 I guess.

merk posted:

I actually think Ernie is scummy for running that gambit. If he's scum, it gave scum the opportunity to say stuff about something they know will be retracted or proved to be wrong later.

I also don't agree with the gambit if he's town, it gave the scum opportunity to easily fake content while cloaked in the 'what is this claim' discussion.

Under either alignment of Ernie, I think Byers stuff is the most fake content.

I largely feel Merk's reaction here was okay. I mean he doubts I could find anything by running it, and he also reaches the same conclusion about Byers. Also his row with Diqnol seems like sticking his neck out too much I guess? I don't know, I feel like Merk can do any and everything, but he also likes to maintain some control.

Puntification posted:

So if I understand your claim correctly, you are not only a miller but you mask killers to a watcher, give false positives to trackers and are a killing role for weak docs, right? But your post leads with saying it's the fact two people have vaguely claimed ~powerful~ roles that means you think this is a role madness game and that you should claim; not the complex and anti-town nature of your role itself that informs your speculation and necessitates the claim?

Puntification posted:

I don't like this post, seems unnecessarily wordy, maybe that's an aesthetic complaint more than anything useful mafia-wise, but it made me wonder if it could be an attempt to look like she's saying more than she is.

This is similar to Meinberg's concern posting. Punti removes himself one step away from saying anything about me, instead going after Asiina without voting or anything, and also reacts in such a way that all he's asking are questions without really taking a stance. It seems like he's casting doubt about it, but I think he could've swung either way from that post.

Rarity posted:

Some of us have jobs where we can't check the internet. Anyway I still think Ernie should absolutely be the lynch today. It doesn't matter if his claim is real or not, either way there is 100% certainty that town has a better chance of winning without that in play whereas anyone else is a less than 100% certainty. Also he'll have to be lynched before LYLO anyway so it's better to get it out of the way now. As for other people, Byers's soapboxing looks bad but I don't see him taking a chance on making such a bold argument on D1 if he was scum. Out of the people who have been posting, the only person I'm getting any real scum ping from is diqnol because this:

Okay I know what I say about scumslips, but I really think there's one here. Rarity says 'it doesn't matter if it's true or not', but i should be puppy cuddled because 'town can't win with it in play'. She actually just said in a single sentence that she thinks it's real (probably because she knows I'm town), but also doesn't think it matters if it's real.

___

I am withholding my opinion on Somber for now.
___

Ninth's picking up on Diqnol's exaggerated play (which only happened to play along with my CLEVER RUSE) feels genuine to me.

Taste :allears:

wins32767 posted:

##vote Byers

Way too engaged in setup/role spec and no where near engaged enough in finding scum.

wins32767 posted:

Then we'll need to focus on his play to determine if he's scum, not talk about if the game is item based or whatever. You know this.

These posts feel too on-the-nose for me. Like wins is happy there are two suspects (byers for being loud, me for the claim) and wants to float his options, while also being 'in the right' about ignoring my claim.

yuming posted:

I've read through everything and now I'm like hmmm thinking about it and I want to see Ernie's response.

I stand by my point against Ernie, however.

The way he claimed is weird idk why not just claim right away with that role I think it'd weighing on your mind like "claim right away" not claim if some other people claim some stuff maybe I guess.

I don't know how to read Yuming when she refuses to give content on anyone else but the person she thinks is scum.

The way I'd go right now is Rarity > Meinberg > Puntification > Wins > Byers, but realistically with every word Byers posts he can land anywhere in that list.

##vote Rarity

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

finally, I just want to say that it took me a lot of effort to come up with such a zany fake role name and only wins complimented me, so the rest of you are dicks

wins32767 posted:

The role name is a really clever one, but I'm not sure if I should attribute it to Ecco or Ernie.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Serial Miller is a good role name and I look to use it in the future. I feel like it was used before in...a BHB game?

i was once a tracker/watcher miller in an Ardulac game, that's where the inspiration for this came from

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Oh and thanks for the link Ernie <3

you are awesome, rascyc, and you look like a pretty good baker

i don't see any shiny flakes or light spots in the brownie layer so you clearly mixed things in the right proportions

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

You're assuming I would consider the idea you were town running a gambit. Which I did not and still don't find a particularly convincing argument. Right now you're able to use this play as a way to hide reactions to all the other content in the thread. What do you think of Opop and diqnol?

I don't like how Diqnol must've known he was forcing things and when Ninth suspected him he pushed him. No significant opinion on Opop. I'd probably list him as slightly town for taking such an absolute stance on merk.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

And again, your sentence literally said

"It doesn't matter if his claim is real or not, either way there is 100% certainty that town has a better chance of winning without that in play"

In the exact sentence you admit you think there's a chance that the claim is not real, you say that you think it's real. Who structures a sentence this way? What does the sentence even mean considering it is self-contradictory?

Honestly this reads like one of the times where as scum I'm meticulously putting together a post and editing random parts in everywhere and a gently caress up slips through.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Okay, there's been enough posturing in the thread to suggest I'll be lynched today. Please do it so I can stop reading the game. Thank you.

I also said I think you are town. I just didn't like the one thing.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

I don't have the stomach to deal with mafia anymore, I guess. I realize I'm being a noisy rear end in a top hat but I feel like before people weren't lynching me for it. Maybe because they were more used to me, maybe because I was better then. Either way, I'm gonna be lynched today and I'm mad about it and I want to get it over with.

I think you need to realize that absolute zero of the things you said here are true. Especially the part about you ever being better than this!!!!

But, seriously, none of this is even remotely true.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Almost everyone who has posted has talked about wanting to lynch me. Do the math.

Same here?

Same with Byers?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I don't know if Rarity just misspoke here, but the comment "even if his claim is true" really strikes me. Rarity seems to be saying that Ernie's claim isn't true, but at the same time we should lynch him for having that role.

This is scummy and illogical. Rarity is contradicting herself and focusing on the claimed role rather than alignment.

##vote Rarity

How are F_V and I the only ones who think that this is significant?

merk posted:

##unvote; ##vote Rarity

I like that potential scum slip.

However, the real thrust of this case is that every Rarity post is safe. There isn't a single post that advances scum hunting in a positive way.

Okay good that this is finally gaining traction, now.

True and Real posted:

Merk had very shortly before this said Byers was the best vote for today. He jumps to rarity because he thinks she scum slipped? That's exceedingly rare and a pretty bad reason to leave a vote you're confident in. What stands out is that he feels the need to talk about the "general thrust" of the Rarity case anyway, like he realizes it looks bad. It feels to me like he was just looking for a reason to vote Rarity.

I don't think this is insignificant, but I think it's misguided. Scummy content + scumslip trumps a case that relies on scummy content on its own.

It's why I'm on Rarity as opposed to Byers myself.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

A vote for Rarity is a vote against scummy my little ponies, Keane.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yuming what do you think of literally every single other person in the game?

Like all other 19 players who if I am scum, I must all be scum with some of?

I find it difficult to get a read on a player tunneling on me because I get paranoid, so how about you stop docking behind 'I have a single suspicion' and actually give an opinion about the remaining 700 posts worth of player opinions?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yuming, if you post an opinion about every single player in the game, I will self-vote.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

By your admission you've decided I'm the scummiest person in the thread but you haven't read anyone else. Literally no one. Do you think you're making an informed decision?

If you prove it to me, I'll concede that I'm the scummiest person in the thread. Fair, yeah?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yuming posted:

I decline.

##unvote Rarity
##vote Yuming

Let me be clear here. I don't care whether or not you're scum. But I hope you are. You haven't formed reads on anyone and you have arbitrarily decided that you need to tunnel on me.

You're clearly not invested enough in the game to care about who all the scum might be, but you still feel the responsibility to vote and rally other people to vote with you.

If you're town, that's just pointless noise that shouldn't be in the game. If you're scum, it's lazy play. Either way, :sun: I don't care for it :sun:

My vote isn't moving today.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

I think 'tunneling' is an unfair characterization of yuming's play. She has like four posts; she can't be tunneling on anyone.

Regardless of the verbiage my point stands. The content in those posts is decidedly scummy because she insists on maintaining an active suspicion over someone but really doesn't care to form opinions on 19 (!) other players. That, to me, feels like a misplaced sense of responsibility or a scummy determination to force reads (which is why someone probably, I forget who, thought that Yuming was trying to be unique in her reason for voting me).

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yes, I will believe that Yuming thinks my point is nonsense when hell freezes over. Let me just say that even if you turn out to be town this game, Yuming, there is no chance that you'll ever get me to believe that you sincerely 'don't get my point' or think it's just 'kicking up dust'.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yuming posted:

This post follows Ernie's claim.

It is a me-too of Somber's post about not liking Keane's early game. Which leads to--

except, in chronological order, we see:

Ernie. posted:

##vote CCKeane

Keane has a ~vibe~ about him.

CCKeane posted:

Merely an aura of power and knowledge.

Somberbrero posted:

I really do not care for those Keane posts, actually.

Ernie. posted:

Neither do I, and I think he's scum for them. Keane likes to be zany and jumpy but there's a blood-thirsty quality to them that is entirely lacking in self-doubt that makes him probably very scum.

are you even reading the game or are you just clicking the ? below my name and making up any case as you go?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yuming posted:

One last point.

Ernie came back to push easy, already existing cases. GOD HES SO SCUM.

(Now I am tunneling.)

:sparkles:

a case that i made and then F_V made it too because no one read it when i first made (just like I didn't read it when Rascyc did) .......

what is even happening right now?

are you actually just making things up?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

That's how I felt about merk earlier. Was my assessment true then?

I know merk isn't reading the game either - because he missed it when i said Rarity scumslipped, but then liked it when F_V said it - but at least he's not maintaining the pretense like his opinion is the most important thing in the world. He's jumping around with his vote a lot and fishing for reactions.

That said, considering Merk sidelined while Yuming and I went at it earlier tonight, I'm maintaining a healthy dose of suspicion when it comes to him right now.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yuming posted:

I knew you posted the vibes thing and forgot while I was wording my post. Take it out and my point still stands.

No it doesn't..........

No it really doesn't......................

Because I was the first serious vote on Keane so I literally couldn't have 'me too'ed' anyone like you said I did

I decided to run my gambit pre-game, actually, and my first few posts were very calculated: i immediately followed the claim up with the 'case' post to intentionally sound as townie as possible after my ~pretty much a bad guy hiding in plain sight~ claim to see how people would react to it (whether anyone would even consider my content)

The fact that your opinions boil down to 'BUT ERNIE!' even when you're reading Diqnol is driving me crazy.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Yuming, be honest right now, how much of this is you being sure I'm scum, and how much of it is you not wanting to be wrong?

Because I sincerely believe there's no way for someone who's played 100+ more games than me to think "I won't read 19 players. X is scum. Okay now I'm reading 2 more players. Y is scum with X." Who approaches the game this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

Not to be too pedantic, but I was.

You mis-spelled the word 'butt' in your vote-post. I can't take a man seriously if they don't know their anatomy lexicon.

• Locked thread