Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

garycoleisgod posted:

no no no, different racist incident at Yorkshire.

Gary Ballance would call non-white players "Kevin".

And didn’t he call his dog Kevin because it was black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol I forgot about that bit

That was Alex Hales and he denied it was because his dog was black, presumably in between snorts of coke

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Big Bash is 61 games.

Wild.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
I don't think I can support the England test team any more. It's pretty obvious that no-one involved with the running of it gives a single gently caress, so why should anyone else?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/TelegraphSport/status/1483032894037766145

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
They are professional athletes, there's nothing wrong with them being told to keep in shape. Robinson being so unfit he couldn't bowl is embarrassing for everyone. Fat cricketers have a long and storied history but if you're poo poo as well then get in shape.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://twitter.com/SavedOneClick/status/1483165547105771532

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gone already?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The worst part of that article is the lions v Australia A game. This was played the same time as the first test if people recall. England picked the lions team 48 hours before the game leaving out a lot of the fringe test players like bairstow and Crawley. The two guys who would actually play tests.

Australia rocked up with Khawaja, Neser and Boland

And then the English administrators apparently thought "oh yeah we should have done that"

The rest is a lot of hindsight stuff. The criticism of not playing Wood for example would be reversed if he got injured through over bowling and the English tactic was clearly to play like India did and keep the bowling unit fresh as Australia bowl Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc into the ground

Of course through chance we did enough rotating anyway and India batted for time more effectively.

The fat shaming claim to avoid a skin fold test is pretty lol sure. If it's all just Robinson being too loose with his health that's easily fixed by just dropping him with some hard truths and seeing if he sorts himself out

But it seems to be a team wide lack of professionalism. It seems like Butler is getting selected because he helps out Root on the field and gives a poo poo off the field. That really should be the bare minimum

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

A fish rots from the head as they say - it all comes back to Root's lack of leadership and also being a huge fraud wasteman imo. Hard truths.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Nah, the head here is the ECB and their utter unwillingness to prioritise test cricket

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Stokes is going to be made captain I reckon. He's not playing IPL this year to focus on tests.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

A fish rots from the head as they say - it all comes back to Root's constantly having his nuts destroyed, mentally destroying the nuts of the rest of the team

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dunno how captain Stokes will make the team bat better

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Tell them if they don't score runs, he'll treat them like they are homophobes* out drinking in Bristol. That'll sort things out.

*allegedly

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Guardian player ratings. I can’t believe England scored only one century the entire series.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/17/ashes-2021-22-player-ratings-for-australias-ruthless-rout-of-england?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I cannot remember Steve Smith ever having an off period.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Mister Chief posted:

I cannot remember Steve Smith ever having an off period.

He's always seemed a bit off to me.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

He forgot where his hands were for a little while.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
He should retire before he ends up like Cook and everyone forgets that he was good

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
England investigate after police break up post-Ashes party - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60035895

Lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's been injured a lot recently. They want captains who stay fit so they don't have to think about vice captains too much.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who else would want to do it?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Preferably not a top order batsman.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

tarbrush posted:

England investigate after police break up post-Ashes party - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60035895

Lol

What the gently caress is the point of a noise complaint if it’s light outside?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Real Ashes actually starts on Thursday which should be fun. Apparently England have had rain ruin their preparation though; so if it ends up in a whitewash then clearly there's a sign from above.

Australia are clear favourites but the England women's team is actually somewhat competent and its a series mainly of white ball games so it could be interesting. Annoyingly its not a day/night test though so for the really important game I'll be stuck watching the first hour of the day before going to bed.

Wilcrap
Jun 23, 2004
Go hard, Go fast

gay picnic defence posted:

What the gently caress is the point of a noise complaint if it’s light outside?

Hah, I think the real issue was Graham Thorpe was lighting a cigar inside, whilst the hotel staff were wanting to lay the tables for breakfast

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Wilcrap posted:

Hah, I think the real issue was Graham Thorpe was lighting a cigar inside, whilst the hotel staff were wanting to lay the tables for breakfast

The table was already laid for breakfast, did they not see all the bottles?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Kiwis too scared to come to Australia it seems.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

Kiwis too scared to come to Australia it seems.

With good cause!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
everybody fears the world t20 champions

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Punter livid as Maxwell is pumping them. 63/0 after 4 lol

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha the big bash is what it is but I love when Ponting calls the poo poo bowling out and is brutal.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That last Thunder Renegades over was excellent.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This game has been mental. 250 up.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The Stars might have a higher innings than the English did all Summer.

Edit: Forgot England got two scores in the 290's. I was thinking of their 274.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

154 off 64 for Maxwell.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
God drat Maxwell. Butchery

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

it's t20, who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD