Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This is a fucker of a game by the umpires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They did South Africa a favour keeping Livingstone in it turns out

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
what in the gently caress just happened

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
England hosed it up.

Pretty standard really.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just saw the review. If umpires are going to give poo poo like that out, it's fair game for England to hurl the ball at the South African batters pretty much for the rest of the series.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Surprised there's no comments on the women's world cup from those diehard Women's cricket fans who flooded the thread when I dared to question the merit of the female game :smugdog:

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 24, 2017

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I was flipping between it and the Dees vs West Coast game.

I saw Mandhana score three beautiful boundaries in three balls of what looked like a fat, old and tired English bowler.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had it on earlier and England were failing with the ball, I have it on now and they're failing with the bat. It's a bit like England men were two or three years ago.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

goatface posted:

I had it on earlier and England were failing with the ball, I have it on now and they're failing with the bat. It's a bit like England men were two or three years Wednesdays ago.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, they failed in an entirely different way then. This is more of the "slowly building a platform that is never going to be used" style.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
See, modern England men would have imploded and lost by over a hundred runs or collapsed and lost by a couple. None of this 35 runs short, badly-paced first half of the chase nonsense.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
In other news, the Netherlands absolutely crushed Zimbabwe in an ODI

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dawid Malan's a bit of a biffer.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Decided on my week off to head to the Aegas Bowl for the third day of Hampshire vs Somerset in a day night county championship match

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Decided on my week off to head to the Aegas Bowl for the third day of Hampshire vs Somerset in a day night county championship match

and according to the BBC, the forecast is for it to rain basically all day today, tonight and into tomorrow afternoon because of course it will

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Truly the most English of scenes

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
At least the Rose Bowl is conveniently located within walking distance of shops, pubs, cafes, and other amenities to help pass the time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

At least the Rose Bowl is conveniently located within walking distance of shops, pubs, cafes, and other amenities to help pass the time.

hahaha, no. Still, watched Somerset collapse from 102-1 to 136-8 in what little play there was today. And also kept seeing Marcus Trescothick everywhere

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Truly the most English of scenes

English cricket.jpg

Varkk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 28, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cook nearly scored a double ton with a strike rate over 68. He must be ill.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

That doesn't seem right, surely they mean Lesbian Civil Union?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CA just threatened a 6 month ban for any "disapproved" cricket, ie the South African T20 and the exhibition games the ACA had talked about staging. News Ltd papers chipping in and doing their bit to suppress the worker too, by telling the public that the players have lost them, and ought to give in to the CA demands. Mean time, CA are trying to get a bunch of players to sign on for an unpaid tour of South Africa.

With people like this in charge, it's difficult to see how we reached this point.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's like CA have been taking notes from the West Indies Cricket Board.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The windies never told them they weren't getting paid before the tours. They waited until halfway through. Like gentlemen.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

In the Hampshire vs Somerset game, Hampshire came within two wickets of stealing a game which had an entire day's play washed out. Maybe I should have headed down today rather than yesterday

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
And in the Middlesex/Essex game, Simon Harmer took 14 wickets in the match and Essex won in what was probably going to be the last over.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
This weird summer schedule imposed by the ICC Mickey Mouse Trophy has been a welcome surprise IMO. Some test-level red ball players are playing lots of county matches and making a meaningful difference.

I wouldn't wait until July to play the first test in the future, but a mid to late June start is far better than the usual policy of playing tests at Headingley and Edgbaston in May.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The ECB really shouldn't schedule any tests before mid June anyway due to the vagaries of our weather, and England can easily have tests until mid or late September

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm sure they once had the West Indies playing at Chester-le-Street in April or something. Sadistic, but smart.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Expecting a call up for the Australian team any minute now. Willing to play for free.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Airstream Driver posted:

Expecting a call up for the Australian team any minute now. Willing to play for free.

SCAB :argh:

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I do wonder how much public support the players have with not taking CAs offer. I imagine a lot of people just see a bunch of millionaires being selfish, and they don't consider the other factors involved

gently caress during Clarkes era if this happened nobody would have been on their side

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The new TV Deals have been done with the ECB and England's men and women's T20s will be shown live on the BBC, they've also nabbed the highlight packages as well

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Scylo posted:

I do wonder how much public support the players have with not taking CAs offer. I imagine a lot of people just see a bunch of millionaires being selfish, and they don't consider the other factors involved

gently caress during Clarkes era if this happened nobody would have been on their side

If this had happened during Clarke's era he would have been the errand boy carrying CA's demand to the players and recommending them wholeheartedly, while reporting back to CA which players were the agitators

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 30, 2017

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Cricket australia is scum and they have hired some anti union jackass to break up the players association. gently caress them

Only a handful of australian cricketers are millionaires. There is a bigger picture. If the millionaires were just out for money Smith and Warner would have taken the first deal which would have seen them earn significantly more than they already do.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

The new TV Deals have been done with the ECB and England's men and women's T20s will be shown live on the BBC, they've also nabbed the highlight packages as well
T20 soon to become the only popular form of cricket in England

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Scylo posted:

T20 soon to become the only popular form of cricket in England

I mean, it's a start. There's been no live cricket on free to air TV since the 2005 Ashes, so even though it's fake cricket, it's back on our screens. I really wish they could have done some sort of deal with Sky to do a simulcast of one or two home tests per summer, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lionel Richie posted:

I'm sure they once had the West Indies playing at Chester-le-Street in April or something. Sadistic, but smart.

Well there was the Sri Lanka game in May last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

What's that mental-age-difference between men and women again? Stretching it a bit isn't he?