Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Smorgasbord posted:

NZ expected to get the 2019 Boxing Day Test at the MCG, first time since the 80's when Morrison was robbed of the winning LBW on McDermott by a cheating Aussie umpire.

This sort of disrespect for the umpires is not on. I would expect better from a Kiwi, as you guys are apparently the nice guys of world cricket. No Australian would call an umpire a cheat. :v: Maybe you guys could learn something from us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtFlb_KOCU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Uh, clearly pitched outside leg/going down/inside edge (circle one), not out, correct decision :colbert:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fantastic delivery though, would've only knocked two stumps out of the ground so clearly not out was the correct call.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Dead Goon posted:

Fantastic delivery though, would've only knocked two stumps out of the ground so clearly not out was the correct call.

Such a shame Morrison moved to Australia and became a creepy little goblin making a fool of himself in India for a living.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
England should recall Samit.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nah man, get Darren Stevens in the side, getting me so many fantasy cricket points at the moment!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
lol India refused to play a day night test in Adelaide this summer. Looking forward to the return of the typical boring Adelaide test

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
its an india tour so every Test is going to be played on a road, just like last time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Seams posted:

its an india tour so every Test is going to be played on a road, just like last time.

Yeah, but who in the Aus. team is there that can take advantage of said roads? SMarsh? Khawaja? A returning Renshaw?

I know it's not the hottest of takes, but India must be salivating about teh prospect of finally beating Australia in Australia.

Which will make it all the funnier when they gently caress it up somehow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Scylo posted:

lol India refused to play a day night test in Adelaide this summer. Looking forward to the return of the typical boring Adelaide test

Virat Kohli is a fraud, and crowds are gonna be down because there'll be no after-work attendees on Thursday and Friday and get hosed if they think I'm getting up as early as it takes to get in Saturday and Sunday, and I'm a member.

But mostly, Kohli is a massive fraud.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

D'Arcy Short has been named in the ODI squad for the first time and is set to open alongside Finch, with veteran batsman Shaun Marsh also returning to help plug the gaps left by Smith and David Warner.

Any time there's an opening, fill it with a Marsh lol

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Scylo posted:

Any time there's an opening, fill it with a Marsh lol

Just watch as he averages 20-something while hiding down the order, yet still makes the World Cup team. :how:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Good to see Boof back in the CA fold. Taking that whole cultural change stuff very seriously.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/PhilippeAuclair/status/994151326501298176?s=19

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I mean the ECB also made the sound decision to rest Stokes for a T20 in Durham without warning the club, so he was plastered all over the marketing and a lot of people got pissed off. Of course, then he managed to get himself rested from international cricket for months shortly after so good job all round

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Australia have called off hosting Bangladesh later this year for financial reasons, arguing that it no longer makes sense to play top-end matches, usually played in north Queensland and the Northern Territory, out of season because they get "swamped" by the major football codes.

The ICC's Future Tours Program (FTP) had Australia down to play two Tests and three ODIs at home against Bangladesh in August and September 2018, the latter's first bilateral tour down under since 2003. However, the trip was scrapped because Australian free-to-air broadcasters are understood to be uninterested in televising the series in the middle of the football season. Cricket Australia communicated to the BCB that the tour was not "commercially viable".

At least there's honesty about the reason..

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Scylo posted:

At least there's honesty about the reason..

Should go down as a forfeit and loss, imo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So it's not financially viable for Australia. Fair enough.

But what about the money that Bangladesh Cricket were going to get from the tour? Money that they need a lot more than Cricket Australia. What of the Bangladeshi broadcasters and their lost income?

This is saying nothing of denying the Bangladesh players, (who beat Australia last time they played), exposure and experience on the world stage.

gently caress the arrogance of 'the big 3'. The Bangladeshis should be paid compensation money for the cancelling of the tour.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2018

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Don't drag England into it with the BIG 3 poo poo. If Bangladesh were scheduled to play here then they would have. One of the few beneficial things about Sky owning cricket in this country is they pay for that sort of thing regardless.

I must say it's actually loving amazing that Australia of all places are straight up cancelling cricket tours because they're not "commercially viable". Pack it up lads, don't bother with THE HUNDRED, clearly we're the only ones left.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23461969/terms-culture-how-got-point-know

"When I first became an Australian cricketer, if Allan Border had asked me to tamper with the ball I would have, because I would be too scared not too," Langer told Channel Nine. "The difference is that Allan Border would never have asked me, and Bobby Simpson (coach) would have killed me. He would have killed anyone who brought the game into disrepute.

:thunk:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

So instead of the tests vs Bangladesh that Aus. cancelled, it looks like they are going to play T20s instead. At some later, yet to be confirmed, date.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
During the Big Bash, without using any players taking part in that.

For financial reasons?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Channel 7 has signed Ponting.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bangladesh should get a proper tour and not be forced to play on some rinky-dink top-end grounds.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Airstream Driver posted:

Channel 7 has signed Ponting.

Good, that means Warnie won't joining

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/994883396261371904?s=19

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Malahide had drainage issues in the past, I hope they're able to at least bowl one ball. Radar doesn't look promising though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

As of about 4 minutes ago, Ireland are officially a test nation

edit:

https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/995257853949734913

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 12, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

After a brief fightback, Pakistan now 104-4

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

After a brief fightback, Pakistan now 104-4

I'm glad cricinfo only changed their periodic commentary, if they hosed up the ball by ball coverage I'd have nothing at work. Guerrilla cricket seems to be spotty in the American hospital I'm working in.

FE: 153/5!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'm checking in on the BBC's live scorecard every fifteen minutes or so, and Ireland are probably going to lose, but it's good that if a team comes over to tour England, they can also do a mini tour of Ireland as well

edit: 163-6...

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm checking in on the BBC's live scorecard every fifteen minutes or so, and Ireland are probably going to lose, but it's good that if a team comes over to tour England, they can also do a mini tour of Ireland as well

edit: 163-6...

Except Australia, who'll cry off for some bullshit reason so they don't get rolled

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

kingturnip posted:

Except Australia, who'll cry off for some bullshit reason so they don't get rolled

I mean, ideally, Australia would come over, play two first class games, go to Ireland for two tests, then head back to England for the Ashes say, while Ireland play, I dunno, New Zealand in a three or four test series afterwards

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
England do a short series with Side A followed by a long series with Side B, at the same time Ireland do a short series against side B and a longer series against side A?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Something like that yeah, I mean from a logistics point of view it makes sense, while also allows Ireland to actually get used to test cricket. Now if the ECB could get over this hump of only playing seven tests per summer...

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Fox Sports have added another five superstar commentators to their cricket coverage for the upcoming summer, with Mark Waugh, Mel Jones, Mike Hussey, Isa Guha and Michael Vaughan signing on with the pay-television broadcaster.

I like Mel Jones and Guha but I really don't think much of Fox's commentary lineup. I hope they end up with Warne just for the delightful Warne/Waugh combinaton though

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Root can't even score county runs atm.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pakistan declared on 310-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good time to bowl.