Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
13-2, it's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

14-3

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

What the gently caress

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Was Test Match Sofa geoblocked? I'm kicking myself for not listening to these guerilla cricket lads instead of trying to find https://www.totallylegalindiancricketstreams.gd et. al.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Ireland just dropped the Pakistani Ashes.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
This is the first test cricket I've seen, and the first cricket I've watched since the World Cup. It's been very entertaining!!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Jos butler is in Englands test squad because of good ipl form lol

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Also no Moeen Ali

Batting order and runoverbobby's predicted averages

Cook (42)
Stoneman (26)
Malan (30)
Root (77, no centuries)
Buttler (12)
Stokes (23 bat, 50 ball)
Bairstow (55, 3 not-outs)
Woakes (18 bat, 45 ball)
Bess (9 bat, 65 ball)
Broad (5 bat, 30 ball)
Anderson (6 bat, 18 ball)

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

camoseven posted:

This is the first test cricket I've seen, and the first cricket I've watched since the World Cup. It's been very entertaining!!

I've been following them since they beat Pakistan in '07, I'm happy they finally made it here and put up this fight. They figure a few a few things out before these guys retire, they might be able to beat someone like the Windies, Zimbabwe or Afghanistan. I'm not sure what's going to happen at Lord's next year, I'm afraid they'll get the yips again and get stuck in a similar hole.

P.s,. camoseven, it may be tempting for you to follow the West Indies because they're in a convenient time zone, but be warned they suck at the real form.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Also their best player is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Marlon Samuels doesn't play tests
Chris Gayle doesn't play tests
Brad Haddin Australian

Jason Holder?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm counting Gayle because he would be in the Test squad if he gave a poo poo about representing his country rather than making the big IPL $$$.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
You could say that about Simmons, Samuels, Brathwaite and a host of other West Indians.

I don't think Gayle is capable of batting for more than 30 minutes anymore. His back is crocked and he can barely run between the wickets.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
West Indies may be more likely to be in my time zone, but American cricket fans are waaaaay more likely to be Indian or Pakistani so those leagues/teams are more common on streaming or TV. At one point ESPN3 was streaming some Jamaican league but I didn’t really watch any of it.

I did go to a couple team USA matches a few years back which was cool. In an interview one of the players was like “yea it’s usually just our families in the stands so it’s nice to have some extra support” which is hilarious and great.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
To lose by 5 wickets having been 7/4 and made to follow-on and having all three results in play was some achievement imo. Now to sort out Ireland's first class scene and move on to more tests

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Jamaican stuff ESPN3 was streaming IIRC was List A West Indies 50-over cricket, you'd have to be a level of cricket nerd far beyond most of this thread to watch that kind of stuff lol.

IIRC Willow has some random domestic first class/List A cricket from India featuring zero people in the stands.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

camoseven posted:

West Indies may be more likely to be in my time zone, but American cricket fans are waaaaay more likely to be Indian or Pakistani so those leagues/teams are more common on streaming or TV. At one point ESPN3 was streaming some Jamaican league but I didn’t really watch any of it.

I did go to a couple team USA matches a few years back which was cool. In an interview one of the players was like “yea it’s usually just our families in the stands so it’s nice to have some extra support” which is hilarious and great.

Whatever cricket espn does show is now behind their $5/month paywall now. I did watch the first version of the Caribbean T20 when I attended med school down there and that was rough. I doubt the franchise based one going on now is much better. And when it comes to the good ol' USA, God bless 'em, but the only news I hear about them is their board has been banned by the ICC again.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

camoseven posted:

Eh, most first class games (state cricket) in Australia is like that.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Jamaican stuff ESPN3 was streaming IIRC was List A West Indies 50-over cricket, you'd have to be a level of cricket nerd far beyond most of this thread to watch that kind of stuff lol.

IIRC Willow has some random domestic first class/List A cricket from India featuring zero people in the stands.

I was so desperate for in-time zone cricket (that wasn't the Windies getting humiliated) that I watched it. There were a few random T20s thrown in there too. Now I have almost no free time again so I don't have to worry about not being able to watch cricket.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually think the CPL is a pretty decent watch, they get good players and I enjoy it more than the behemoth-rear end IPL. It's still T20 though.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Scylo posted:

Jos butler is in Englands test squad because of good ipl form lol

A day later and actually I'm quite upset with this. I am not convinced by Vince, but at least he is committed to red ball cricket, has worked hard in county cricket, and even scored a double hundred last round.

Buttler traipses around playing hit'n'giggle for a paycheck and he gets selected instead, for a format he doesn't play and doesn't care about.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's so much more marketable though.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
He can star in THE HUNDRED then, since the board have decided it’s the only marketable thing involving cricket equipment.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

It's the only thing the women and children will understand

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Whatever cricket espn does show is now behind their $5/month paywall now. I did watch the first version of the Caribbean T20 when I attended med school down there and that was rough. I doubt the franchise based one going on now is much better. And when it comes to the good ol' USA, God bless 'em, but the only news I hear about them is their board has been banned by the ICC again.

The ESPN paywall actually saves me money cause they rolled MLS Live into it and it's like $30 cheaper a year, and hopefully the fact that they're making money on their streams now will encourage them to get the rights to more events.

I don't understand any of the drama surrounding the USA cricket board and it's hard to find news articles on it cause no one in the US actually cares. At one point I think there were two different orgs claiming to represent USA cricket and they got into a big fight or something. Seems bad, just play cricket!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

camoseven posted:

The ESPN paywall actually saves me money cause they rolled MLS Live into it and it's like $30 cheaper a year, and hopefully the fact that they're making money on their streams now will encourage them to get the rights to more events.

I don't understand any of the drama surrounding the USA cricket board and it's hard to find news articles on it cause no one in the US actually cares. At one point I think there were two different orgs claiming to represent USA cricket and they got into a big fight or something. Seems bad, just play cricket!

That's about all Cricinfo reports on, save for when they play in the Byzantine tournament that decides Associate promotion/relegation for the next 3-79 years. I thought the West Indies Cricket Board was at one point "supervising" the USACA, and it worked exactly as well as you would expect.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Are we talking about no tosses yet?

Seems a good idea.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/cricket/india-is-holding-back-test-cricket-waugh-20180516-p4zfmf.html

gently caress you Mark Waugh! Whilst I don't disagree with the headline, the country that just cancelled a test tour in favour of some potential future T20s cannot in any way shape or form point the finger at anyone else for "holding back test cricket."

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

notaspy posted:

Seems a good idea.

Misread that as 'no tossers' and briefly wondered if they were banning Australia altogether.

Good idea though and long overdue. Tours of some countries turn into boring grind when the luck of the toss also goes against the touring side so this goes some way towards discouraging home-town pitches. Also NZ test captains seem to be hopeless at winning tosses on pitches where it matters so this is great for us.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

notaspy posted:

Seems a good idea.

Yes, Fox Sports did pick up Warne.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/shane-warne-signs-with-fox-sports-cricket-commentary-gilchrist-hussey-vaughan-ponting-australia/2018-05-17

Oh, sorry, tosses? As in coin tosses? No idea.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tiny Joe Root is going to fail at 3.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
The experts on the ECB marketing team have named their diversity campaign “Cricket Has No Boundaries” - an interesting decision given cricket does have boundaries.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Uh, you know it's an ironic play on words right.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
It's wordplay but it isn't irony. They aren't stating the contrary of what is meant; the opposite of "cricket has no boundaries" is "cricket is posh".

It's a sincere statement that has a double-meaning which is a falsehood. I think it's weird.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doesn't Warney hate Ponting because Ponting was made captain and Warney wasn't? That's gonna make an interesting commentary box.

Hopefully with Hussey at Fox Sports means that Michael Clarke won't be showing his face.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the bring in Brad McNamara to really get the banter going among the boys

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You Am I posted:

Doesn't Warney hate Ponting because Ponting was made captain and Warney wasn't? That's gonna make an interesting commentary box.

Hopefully with Hussey at Fox Sports means that Michael Clarke won't be showing his face.

Ponting is on Channel 7. Which was probably a factor in Warne going to Fox

So I doubt they will be commentating together.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Strauss is going to step back from his job while his wife undergoes some cancer therapy. Understandable. Sympathy for them etc.

He's being temporarily replaced by Andy "loving" Flower.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Here's hoping the ECB have fewer 'loving stupid' ideas while he's off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

goatface posted:

Strauss is going to step back from his job while his wife undergoes some cancer therapy. Understandable. Sympathy for them etc.

He's being temporarily replaced by Andy "loving" Flower.

People from countries in southern africa are taking over the ecb