Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/23/ab-de-villiers-announces-shock-retirement-from-international-cricket-south-africa

Good on him, rather he goes out on top than try to grind out some records and just get worse and worse and hate the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Focusing on his singing career?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
You can't :airquote: choke :airquote: a World Cup when your best senior players retire the year before

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Ball Tampering Killed My Unborn Child

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Rockchap bad batsman. Abbas looks good so far though.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Best on the opening signs I expect a Pakistan whitewash this series

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
What are you on about England are doing well. 40-3 instead of the usual 30-3.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
lol England

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Cook has hit more drives in two hours than the previous two decades.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Such a good top order.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It's not officially an English test summer until the first Englanding happens

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Time for the IPL lads to play their natural games and patiently rebuild the innings.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lots of tape on this lads hand - where's the sandpaper?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Stokes' bat sounds funny... almost like it's hollow. I keep thinking the ball's hit the stumps.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

runoverbobby posted:

Stokes' bat sounds funny... almost like it's hollow. I keep thinking the ball's hit the stumps.

Oh my, I was gonna post something similar! Sounds like stumps every single time and I get excited he's out (Cricket is on in background).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone get me a sad Cook face. JoButts is gonna get a sparkling 15 in 12 balls.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

gently caress off buttttler!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
+/-2

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Whoever could have predicted this

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
No one saw this coming

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

England aren't very good.

But!

Broady and Andersony are gonna take 50 wickets on this pitch.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we need a sad_root.png

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

80% of wickets were taken with full length deliveries - Jimmy and Broady to bowl short of a length all day then?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
If Imam takes a broadesque bouncer through the grille his hipster glasses are going to shatter and blind him.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dead Goon posted:

80% of wickets were taken with full length deliveries - Jimmy and Broady to bowl short of a length all day then?

Well of course. They're too old to get the ball as far as a full length these days. Just don't have the strength in their arms.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Even Ireland did better than England did, but again, why haven't England done any preparation for this? Pakistan are coming in off (I think) two warm-ups and a test, while England have done nothing. Couldn't they play a county as a warm-up?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Even Ireland did better than England did, but again, why haven't England done any preparation for this? Pakistan are coming in off (I think) two warm-ups and a test, while England have done nothing. Couldn't they play a county as a warm-up?

They did play four rounds of the county championship on pitches and in conditions nothing like the ones they are playing in now. Or the IPL on pitches and in conditions nothing like the ones they are playing in now.

I really want to do a rant about the stupidity of the english season but this guy did it better http://www.cricketkit.org/2018/04/domestic-arguments-it-ishere.html?spref=tw (hope that worked).

I think cricket has to look to rugby and split the different formats. A t20 basher is rarely going to be a defensive nerdler and mixing the 3 formats is loving everything up.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The second test against Pakistan finishes I think the first week of June, then white ball international cricket for two months and then the five tests against India

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The second test against Pakistan finishes I think the first week of June, then white ball international cricket for two months and then the five tests against India

This year if cricket is a loving joke. The posh boy cunts of the ecb can loving do one.

Cricket is dieing and their solution is yet another format.

Get schools playing cricket again you twats. You have footie in the winter and cricket in the summer. Get Gary Neville involved, he loves the game for christ's sake!

We need some proper working class grit. Some lads that have had to fight tooth and nail to make it to the top. It's how the game is meant to be setup, pro's and amateurs.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Remember, "The One Hundred" will be played alongside the current T20 Blast. It's an absolute loving nonsense

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Remember, "The One Hundred" will be played alongside the current T20 Blast. It's an absolute loving nonsense

Does this mean that there will be different teams playing the different formats? That players will have to choose if they play for a T20 Blast team or a Hundred team? Or will players have to pull double duty?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even more franchises for even more money, duh.

Have players signed to four different county/region/franchise teams at the same time. Make the kids buy as many different shirts as possible if they want to emulate their hero.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
the thing that confuses me is that cricket australia and the bcci have managed to launch reasonably successful (extremely successful in indias case) t20 leagues with appeal to mums and kids but the ecb feels that it just wont work in England so they need the one hundred

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the ecb seems to wildly swing between hidebound traditionalists and insane radicals on a completely random basis

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/steve-smith-canada-t20-global-tournament-chris-lynn-sunil-narine-andre-russell-afridi-bravo/2018-05-25

It's cool that this canadian tournament only apparently forces teams to roster 4 canadian players. Oh well, hopefully it'll grow the game in Canada or something?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
How is it that English test cricket is just so ridiculously consistent. Nick off to consistent line and length bowling, bang it in short and let the oppo batsmen settle. Its survived changing the coaches, the captain, the bowlers, everyone

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tradition is stronger than any of that.

At least Azher Ali is here to show them how it's done.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Was about to write a terrible effortpost about how the bowling has gotten worse under Root's fields / captaincy, but then his silly legside bumper trap worked twice so I'll save it for later.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
England might be properly poo poo now. Looking poo poo in England, in the most English of conditions.

properly poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I have a gut feeling that England might not win this test lads