Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
basically im mad if this ruins cool and good mankads for everyone else because it forces a rule change or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
All mankads are cool and good, batsmen should stay in their drat crease.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

spamman posted:

All mankads are cool and good, batsmen should stay in their drat crease.

Buttler was in his crease, and by the letter of the law it should have been a dead ball.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
You cannot Mankad in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2P976ygaw

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Buttler was in his crease, and by the letter of the law it should have been a dead ball.

Why was he given out if he was in his crease, just watch the bowler until he releases the ball and then its impossible to get out that way

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Scylo posted:

Why was he given out if he was in his crease, just watch the bowler until he releases the ball and then its impossible to get out that way

Alright genius you try that next time you're playing and let me know how well 'tracking the ball after release' works for you if you're looking at the bowler instead of down the pitch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Vando posted:

Alright genius you try that next time you're playing and let me know how well 'tracking the ball after release' works for you if you're looking at the bowler instead of down the pitch.

Seems to work ok for the umpires

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iajanus posted:

Seems to work ok for the umpires

You mean the umpire who had no idea what had gone on and immediatly signalled for the replay upstairs?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You mean the umpire who had no idea what had gone on and immediatly signalled for the replay upstairs?

I was joking about how refs are expected to judge no balls and then snap their heads up for lbw accurately hth

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scylo posted:

Why was he given out if he was in his crease

Because the third umpire didn't apply the law correctly - which is unsurprising because it's an edge case, but given the amount of time they take already I'd have googled the Mankad law.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
In fairness to Buttler i think any batsman who plays any significant amount of international cricket gets conditioned to backup by timing rather than watching the bowler. Due to the added pressures of drs its important to see where the ball pitches from the non-strikers end.

Batsmen do take liberties with backing up and mankading should be fine but in this specific case i really do feel that it should have been dead ball based on my interpretation of the rules

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I find it funny we call it backing-up when it's about going forward.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wish the first guy to do this was Sivaramakrishnan.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They'd just follow tradition and call it an Indiaman.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Congratulations to Victoria beating Australia NSW in the Sheffield Shield

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
And congratulations to Dimuth Karunaratne, for being arrested for drink-driving.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
understandable to get wasted if you've been given the job of captaining Sri Lanka

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I feel dirty posting IPL content but this from requiring 23 off 20, this is maybe the most impressive batting collapse I've seen in some time.

Hat-trick for Sam Curran too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I wonder if there was some odd betting going on

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I wonder if there was some odd betting going on
*monocle flies off*

How dare you besmirch the reputation of the world's premier cricket tournament!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

*monocle flies off*

How dare you besmirch the reputation of the world's premier cricket tournament!

come on i can't believe you'd suspect match or spot fixing in the ipl

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

But Kohli said IPL isn't club cricket

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

But Kohli said IPL isn't club cricket

Kohli inhabits the sort of fantasy-land that only people surrounded by utter sycophants (including his employers) can live in.
Therefore, ignore basically everything he says.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not paying it much attention, but it is nice to go to cricinfo occasionally and find out that Kohli's team lost again.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

His fans are getting real mad and threatening commentators.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Pretty glad Southee is in the World Cup squad.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Also lol at Cricinfo going all in on their Smart Stats thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Another top effort from Kohli today: farts around for 16 overs, almost exclusively hitting singles, hits an 18-year old legspinner for 19 in the 17th over. Then, just as the commentators have started fellating his ego, he clubs a Rabada ball straight down the ground and is caught.

It's like he spent all those years watching Dhoni and came to the exact opposite conclusion to any one with a brain.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
What happens if the batsman hits the ball and it knocks over the wicket on the other side of the pitch?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lladre posted:

What happens if the batsman hits the ball and it knocks over the wicket on the other side of the pitch?

Nothing (except the batsman usually being annoyed because he loses out on a run or two).
But if the bowler manages to touch the ball, and the non-striking batsman is out of his crease, then he would be run out, however.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
ive been watching the IPL and every single first innings ive managed to catch has been absolutely terrible to watch. teams just eeking out totals around 130-150. where are my maximums.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Then you should be watching the match going on right now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Is there some reason other than utter incompetence that Cricket South Africa haven't sorted out fixtures for England's tour yet?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They want to see if the pound will collapse and leave the ECB unable to afford plane tickets.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Cronj-Air it is lads, strap in.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If Brexit happens (lol), does it affect Kolpak players?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dodoman posted:

Then you should be watching the match going on right now.

i did. it was great

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

If Brexit happens (lol), does it affect Kolpak players?

Like most things Brexit related, no-one knows!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Dhoni just walked onto the pitch and flounced up to the umpires to complain about a No Ball not being given (on height), despite having got out a couple of balls before.

What a oval office. They should ban him, but it's the IPL, so fat chance of that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think banning MSD would cause more unrest in India than if Pakistan started firing nukes