Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

As an old man who regularly yells at clouds, and rails against things young people like, this bothers me a lot too.

I truly hate to see batsmen get rewarded, and even encouraged to close their eyes and swing. Or worse yet try to do insane stupid things. For every Dilscoop, there are 1,000 failed retarded 'shots' that people try that never catch on.

gently caress you, t20 hit and giggle is the perfect antidote to the tension that builds up over a good test.

I love all the stupid poo poo the batsmen and bowlers do. In fact I hate it when they play straight, I have tests for that. Go out there and go hard every ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Hot take: T20 has a lot of cool fielding moments on the boundary/in the outfield and has probably contributed to fielding improvements in all formats.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If you’re not watching T20 to see people get out in progressively funnier and stupider ways then I don’t even know

Also the Big Bash sucks because the season goes until April or something

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Big Bash is a victim of its own success.

IPL is probably the t20 league with the most talent. Obviously because the teams can offer more money than teams in other leagues. Big Bash suffers from having too many nobodies.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
T20 has also destroyed every catch compilation on YouTube. Now they’re all those tediously garbage catch it on the rope and throw back in catches and not actual good catches at slips/gully from tests

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like those impossible catches at Point or Gully, flying through the air and taking it with one hand.

Proper loving catches.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1151905901537894400

Two points per over lost seems like a lot when each test series has a maximum of 120 points but I guess we’ll have to wait and see if teams care at all

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Strauss' superman catch from the 05 ashes is the best catch of all time :colbert:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

100 overs in a day? Someone need to have a word with the women's teams, they are make the men look bad.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
After everyone talking about poo poo T20 bowling Moeen currently is 3/15 in his last over for Worcs

e: 4/17 lol

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

RideTheSpiral posted:

T20 has also destroyed every catch compilation on YouTube. Now they’re all those tediously garbage catch it on the rope and throw back in catches and not actual good catches at slips/gully from tests

:agreed:

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
A top start to the only ashes test that matters, aus with a strong 3/265, Perry once again destroying all in her path, ashes staying down under.

notaspy posted:

100 overs in a day? Someone need to have a word with the women's teams, they are make the men look bad.

You would think it would take longer to bowl an over for the women considering how much longer it takes the ball to reach the batter.

(This is a joke about how the women can't bowl as fast as the men even though every woman in this game would loving ruin everyone posting in this thread in a match)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Ben Stokes is up for the New Zealander of the Year award in his true for-real country. Which means that, if you think about it, New Zealand not only are the moral World Cup winners, but also the real World Cup winners.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Vagabundo posted:

Ben Stokes is up for the New Zealander of the Year award in his true for-real country. Which means that, if you think about it, New Zealand not only are the moral World Cup winners, but also the real World Cup winners.

lmao imagine nominating a person who left your country as a child, has no interest in your country, and represents the country who just beat your country in a World Cup final for your award

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Not sure there's anything more pointless and tedious than sports awards.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Smorgasbord posted:

like world cup final medals :shuckyes:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Big Bash was actually good a few seasons ago, the level of skill was high and games were tight. Quality had dropped off a cliff recent years which is why it's boring now.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

RideTheSpiral posted:

like world cup final medals :shuckyes:

Guess I need to distinguish - direct awards/prizes for achievements are obviously fine, but arbitrary classifications of say Ben Stokes v a female kayaker as to who is the 'best' is just a complete waste of everybody's time.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
All the Zimbabwe cricketers on Twitter seem pretty unhappy about suddenly waking up and being unemployed because the ICC decided to suspend Zimbabwe

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

What were they suspended for?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

I want to believe they upset the BCCI as I like that meme.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

The ICC were worried that funds they would give Zimbabwe for being a full member cricket playing place would be re-directed to the government instead of being used on the players and cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27216123/zimbabwe-suspended-icc-government-interference

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Scylo posted:

The ICC were worried that funds they would give Zimbabwe for being a full member cricket playing place would be re-directed to the government instead of being used on the players and cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27216123/zimbabwe-suspended-icc-government-interference

Well yeah that is exactly what has happened with it every other time.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Smorgasbord posted:

The only award that matters:

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/1152171223226281984

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Cricket is not a sport

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's more of a religion really.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Top bantz from Neesham

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lord's Screwjob

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

You didn’t see cricket in the ground. You DIDN’T. Because it’s not there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

3.66 runrate. Not great, not terrible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Australia women have done a really good job managing this test.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Still tied after the super over. Bah gawd is the Australia's music? (wwos theme starts playing)

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spaceblancmange posted:

Still tied after the super over. Bah gawd is the Australia's music? "I am a real Australian, act like a oval office to everyone..."

FTFY

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It's fun being able to hear all of the sledging in the women's cricket. And I'm still not entirely sure why Taunton seems to have an infestation of seagulls.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's fun being able to hear all of the sledging in the women's cricket. And I'm still not entirely sure why Taunton seems to have an infestation of seagulls.

It's quite close to the coast and the weather might be rough over the sea?

Seagulls tend to fly inland when the weather is poo poo.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Dead Goon posted:

It's quite close to the coast and the weather might be rough over the sea?

Seagulls tend to fly inland when the weather is poo poo.

It's weird, when I picture a map of Somerset it doesn't seem all that close to the coast but you make a good point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's weird, when I picture a map of Somerset it doesn't seem all that close to the coast but you make a good point.

It's about 10 miles from the sea

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's about 10 miles from the sea

I swear the English southwest defies geography sometimes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
also the ground is right next to the river, like closer than Trent Bridge is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Cricket Australia - We have more playing the game than ever!!!!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/caught-out-cricket-s-inflated-playing-numbers-revealed-20190720-p5292s.html

Cricket Australia - The grassroots are healthy and important!!!!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/we-are-bleeding-every-year-how-the-cricket-crisis-is-affecting-the-grassroots-20190720-p5293d.html

CA needs to be toilet flushed