Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Aaaaand, they've just given Denly a central contract, along with Burns and Archer. So well player Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

tarbrush posted:

I think it's worth not considering him for a year, give him a summer to cart some county cloggers and see where everyone is.

I think this summer has highlighted the futility of trying to plan too far in advance. Sibley is bang in form, Burns has actually performed as an opener, Denly's shown a bit of grit, Bairstow seems to have technical issues.

I'd honestly drop Bairstow, drop Denly to 3, Root to 4 and open with Burns and Sibley. It might not be perfect, but it's the best they can do

Would you put Buttler in as keeper? Or prefer someone like Foakes?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Buttler. Foakes is out of form too. Buttler is no worse than Bairstow, and is coming into form with the bat

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Don't they have to give contracts if you've played more than x number of games?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
NZ very settled in comparison, point of contention would be how to fit Lockie Ferguson in who we're gonna need in Australia. With that in mind, and the traditional redundancy of a spinner in NZ conditions (and their cannon fodder potential in Aus) I'd go with a full seam attack of Boult, Southee, Wagner, Ferguson, CdG and just forget Santner et al. Leaves the batting a touch weak but you can't say Santner's really proved his worth and Southee has kinda stepped up his act with increased batting responsibility at 8/9 recently.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol, Southee will be back to braindead idiot batsman by the next series.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Alex Hales continues his fall from grace. He lost his white ball contract with the ECB.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
This is when being a dick really comes to affect you.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

notaspy posted:

Don't they have to give contracts if you've played more than x number of games?

There's a system that takes into account appearances, match performance and 'off-field contribution' they use to calculate it but obviously it's not publicly released because then it would reveal it's just Ed Smith making poo poo up to justify his gut feelings.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So it turns out the ECB are off their meds again

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1175038134750515200?s=19

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Given that it's Dan Hodges I had to go check that it wasn't the other way around.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I’m just going to guess its because they can only do a certain amount of contracts per format, so they decided gently caress it give Denly an odi contract rather than figure out who he replaces in the test ones

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they still contracting about 40 people?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

goatface posted:

Are they still contracting about 40 people?

17 including incremental

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Do Steven Finn and James Vince still have central contracts?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't look like it. They've only got 10 with Test contracts and 12 for white ball. I'm sure they used to have a team and a half on each list.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Plunkett's lost his one-day contract, which is sad. I can understand him not being in long-term future plans, but it's harsh after how important he was in the World Cup when it came to getting set batsmen out at key times.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nice diamond duck there

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Blimey, Worcs vs. Notts game a bit close!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
hahahaha eat poo poo Notts

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Man City beat Watford 8-0 today.

Which is coincidentally a scoreline the Australian openers never saw.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you tweeted it at Dave Warner yet?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Mate he’s been smashing it in the nets like a cardoon character.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
loving hell cricket

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1176130330669002752?s=19

Holy poo poo, the selectors are Goons

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oooooh, YJB is going to be so mad.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Also in unrelated and utterly unsurprising news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49793312

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I always thought of Warnie as someone who liked to be driven.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Test team seems quite straightforward with that squad, only Woakes v Curran would be a debate.

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler (wk)
Woakes/Curran
Archer
Broad
Leach

Crawley, Parkinson and Mahmood all probably going on tour for the experience. It's a two test series so unlikely anyone is dropped, maybe Crawley would play if a batter gets injured, but even then you could play Curran and Woakes together at 7 and 8.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I really feel sorry for Woakes because he's an excellent bowler but he only really offers the same kind of thing as Anderson and Broad do and they're both a bit better than him

when it's seaming all over the place Anderson and/or Broad are more than capable of doing the serious damage and when it's not it's useful to have the other options that Archer and Curran give you

I'm also not 100% sold on Denly but he looked a lot better in the last couple of Tests so it's worth seeing if he can stick at #3

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Perhaps no Anderson in NZ will at least give him a couple of tests.

If Root bothers to bowl him.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Its good that they re-signed Baitstow onto a odi + test central contract and then dropped him, solid use of money

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It's a two test series, they can easily badge it as having a break/taking a look at the youngsters

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
apparently it doesnt count for the world test championship either.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Waste of time really, isn't it?

And what is the point of two tests?

Three tests minimum or GTFO.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Seams posted:

apparently it doesn't count for the world test championship either.

Why? two test series count, as the recent Lanka vs NZ series shows. So what is the issue?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Each team has two teams they don’t play against as part of the championship, so Eng don’t play for points against Bangladesh and NZ

I haven’t actually been able to find a reason why its six teams they play so I’m just going to go with it being because India didn’t want to host Pakistan so the ICC had to do each team playing six as part of the championship to make it work

Centusin fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 25, 2019

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Ireland's Tests for the next few years aren't part of the Test Championship either.
Not that they've got many, mind you.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Scylo posted:

I haven’t actually been able to find a reason why its six teams they play so I’m just going to go with it being because India didn’t want to host Pakistan so the ICC had to do each team playing six as part of the championship to make it work

It's to balance things out as no everyone can tour as easily as England due to North V South hemisphere seasons.

The real reason is India will never play Pakistan ever again while India is the world power of cricket so the rest of us have to work round their massive egos.

Rant: This is why our game will never go anywhere, to many vested interests. India, England, and Australia want to keep all the money and power so gently caress doing anything that might open the game upto the wider world. Look at the rugby world cup being played right now. Look at the teams not from the core 8 doing well. Look how they are opening the game upto the rest of the world. Cricket looks at that and goes "gently caress that". I hear a story once that India lobbied against t20 at the Olympics because then China would start investing in it and completely wreck their position as the sports superpower.

gently caress most of the people involved in this bullshit sport that I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

notaspy posted:

gently caress most of the people involved in the administration of this bullshit sport that I love.