Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Lol India are abysmal. England really should have been in this final.

Thanks ICC for the easy win I guess. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, this feels like the Aussies are playing the final on Easy Mode

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The gulf between Australia and India as far as fielding goes is giant

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Fanatic posted:

Lol India are abysmal. England really should have been in this final.

Thanks ICC for the easy win I guess. :shrug:

Yeah India are playing bad here but India beat Australia in the first game of the tournament, were the best team of the group stage, and narrowly lost the final to Australia in the tri series that involved England before the tournament. just a case where a good team got overwhelmed in the moment.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Beth Mooney is a good player in big matches lately

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Scylo posted:

Yeah India are playing bad here but India beat Australia in the first game of the tournament, were the best team of the group stage, and narrowly lost the final to Australia in the tri series that involved England before the tournament. just a case where a good team got overwhelmed in the moment.

Yeah fair enough. Not playing & winning the semi probably sapped them of any momentum aswell.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Scylo posted:

Australia didnt actually play that well in the leadup or the group stages tho. It was quite noticeable they played with a lot more freedom in the final - I guess weight of expectations had been lifted?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
They have won these world cups before, they could rely on experience and the thought that they've done it before as a boost. This was the 7th womens t20 world cup. England have won once, the Windies once and this was Australia's 5th win. India have never even made the final before. Playing in front of 86,000 people, the majority of which are cheering you on, probably helps the motivation as well.

Also, the first round loss to India involved them chasing rather than setting the target like they did here. I think the Aussie women might be like the men in that setting a target and using scoreboard pressure to gently caress with the chasing team is their preferred mode of play, across all formats.

Just the Australian way I guess.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
"'I've got a car"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxESDjnsIM

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might cancel the IPL. Official govt. department don't like the risks.

Won't somebody think of the poor betting sites and spot fixers?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goatface posted:

They might cancel the IPL. Official govt. department don't like the risks.

Won't somebody think of the poor betting sites and spot fixers?

Nah, they just don't reckon it'll be worth holding it now Woakes has hosed off to join the England squad

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
If they cancel the IPL how will we get our fair share of DLF maximums?

The NRL was poo poo boring last night so I watched a couple of episodes of the Test doco series on Prime about the aussies recovering from the ball-tampering thing. It's a series made with access to the team so it is very nice to them and pretty much not far removed from a puff piece as this access means the doco crew can't be too harsh on them. But some amusements still slip through, like:

Justin Langer is the most basic bitch who thinks A Star is Born is the best movie he's ever seen
When England won an ODI series 5-0, oz bowling coach David Saker just says "our skill level isn't good enough", i.e. "We're poo poo without Smith and Warner"
Ricky Ponting remains the grumpiest and harshest person when he's doing guest coaching
Seeing multiple people wait until they're just back in dressing room after being dismissed before screaming "gently caress" and throwing their gear never gets old
Zampa and Stoinis's bromance and coffee love is adorable
Finch being given out incorrectly, not reviewing it, being told the in the dressing room and his frustrated reaction followed by Langers blank stare and silent exit as Finch tries to explain why he didn't review is some prime comedy packed into a few minutes of screen time. A+ would watch Tim Paine quietly slip away as he realizes poo poo might get real many more times.

But yeah, haven't finished it yet, haven't even got to Smith + Warner's return yet, but it's a pretty sloppy blowjob so far. Wish it was a bit meaner.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Black Caps matches against Australia to be played in empty stadiums

Just like playing a test match at home then — We've got the home-ground advantage now, series is as good as won.

Noxin of Shame fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 13, 2020

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Noxin of Shame posted:

Black Caps matches against Australia to be played in empty stadiums

Just like playing a test match at home then — We've got the home-ground advantage now, series is as good as won.

I dunno mate, Sheffield Shield experience will come in handy for us now

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Warner gonna get a century and do his usual dumb celebration to nobody

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
The 90s kit combined with the empty stadium is a trip

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Neesham has apparently learned nothing back in domestic cricket, still bowling innocuous pies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

webmeister posted:

I dunno mate, Sheffield Shield experience will come in handy for us now

Mate, you ever watch the Plunket Shield?

Nah, me neither.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The kiwis really are nice guys. Having Finch twice but not reviewing either time.

Just the most generous team.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Warner gonna get a century and do his usual dumb celebration to nobody

Remember when Phil Hughes' brother made him cry?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The best about the amazon prime series so far is Ponting airing grievances he has held since he was a player like when he ranted about players signalling to an outfielder instead of diving for the ball and having a crack

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smith looks utterly perplexed at being bowled by Santner.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Short innings by name, short innings by nature

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/TheBarmyArmy/status/1238414604516102144?s=19

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
CA administrators will be happy they have a reason to call off the tour to Bangladesh

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Someone at CA will have to update their roulette wheel of answers

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

One of the Black Caps has been quarantined after last night's match. What are the chances the rest of the games will be called off?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Pretty good to be honest. I'll be surprised if most sport doesn't go on hiatus soon. One of the Sharks players in the NRL has been quarantined as well and if they think it might have spread to his teammates they can't play anyone, so thats a problem.

There might be problems with the Warriors being allowed home after this weekend, the India/SA series is done, ditto with Poms/Sri Lanka so I'm thinking the series will probably be cancelled either today or tomorrow.

So if Ferguson is positive, or to be honest even if he isn't, then his teammates will be suspect so how can they interact with the aussies/umpires? Kane Richardson got cleared of his scare, but if they have to isolate a player every time they get a sore throat they can't really function properly as a team.

Best to just call all this off for a little while.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

It's far more likely than not that anyone showing cold and flu symptoms just has a regular cold or flu.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They'll test them. Then quite probably cancel it all whatever the result. Nobody wants to be the group that carries on and has an incident.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Finishing the test

Ricky Ponting is legitimately a mad man. Good viewing watching him seethe over everything. He wanted to fight the crowd booing Smith and Warner lol

An angry legend of the game

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Finishing the test

Ricky Ponting is legitimately a mad man. Good viewing watching him seethe over everything. He wanted to fight the crowd booing Smith and Warner lol

An angry legend of the game

A mad man that also seems to be a genuinely good coach

I feel like Langer comes off pretty well in the show, I would have loved to see Lehmanns coaching style

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
So yeah, cricket is cancelled. T20s in NZ too.

Scylo posted:

A mad man that also seems to be a genuinely good coach

I feel like Langer comes off pretty well in the show, I would have loved to see Lehmanns coaching style

Series felt like the JL Show starring JL at times. Thought Finch came across well too. Liked that my personal theory that booing Smith was actually a bad idea as it seemed to motivate him was proven correct. Poms would have been better served giving him the silent treatment.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, the Aussies are spared a humiliation at home, it seems.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Kiwis had to get their prime minister involved to avoid a trouncing. Shameful stuff.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Airstream Driver posted:

Kiwis had to get their prime minister involved to avoid a trouncing. Shameful stuff.

At least ours cares about our lads. Except Scott Kuggeleijn, I hope. gently caress that guy.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I think Worcestershire will be quite happy not to play any cricket for a while - New Road has just reappeared after 71 days underwater:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should try installing some better drainage imo

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Outfield looks a bit slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

goatface posted:

Should try installing some better drainage imo