Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: Kevin Roberts as head of Cricket Australia (I wish they went back to the old Australian Cricket Board name)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/16/cricket-australia-kevin-roberts-nick-hockley

For some reason I thought Sutherland was still running the show until late last year. I can not remember a goddamn thing about Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Seams posted:

lol CA told rob moody to delete his YouTube account and then backflipped when a thousand people told them to gently caress off

Without Rob Moody we would never see any highlights from more than twenty years ago lol

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Seams posted:

lol CA told rob moody to delete his YouTube account and then backflipped when a thousand people told them to gently caress off

Didn't the exact same thing happen 5 years ago? I remember someone cracking the shits over copyright infringement only to back off when a bunch of people wrote in calling them cunts

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

This messes with my spreadsheet a little, but nothing I can't deal with. And it's a nice touch :)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

Influential figures in Australian cricket have sounded out former England captain Andrew Strauss in the belief he should be the next chief executive at Cricket Australia.

Embattled chief executive Kevin Roberts resigned after 19 months in the job on Tuesday as dissatisfaction grew over his handling of the financial issues created by COVID-19.

CA laid off 40 staff on Wednesday including men’s batting coach Graeme Hick. The organisation claimed the redundancies and other cuts will save $40m in the next financial year.

Englishman Nick Hockley has been appointed interim CEO, but the organisation said it would be launching a global search for a fulltime replacement to fill that role. Appointing the South African-born Strauss to the role would provoke a kneejerk reaction from parochial members of the local cricket community but Strauss has an impressive CV and spent many years in Australia playing cricket.

I want this to happen just to see the incredible amount of whinging that would come out of the media

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Scylo posted:

I want this to happen just to see the incredible amount of whinging that would come out of the media

A bloody Pom running Australian cricket? The Don would be spinning in his grave!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

You Am I posted:

A bloody Pom running Australian cricket? The Don would be spinning in his grave!

Not if he is a Catholic.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I like how they say "South African-born" to put a fig leaf over "by the way, former England captain".

I imagine Strauss carries a fair amount of grudging respect in Australia though as the only England captain to win the Ashes there in over 30 years.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Succeeded as an opener against some pretty loving tasty Aussie attacks too

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Three Pakistani players tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday. Ashley Giles comes out in the press telling everyone the tour is still on. Seven more test positive today.

Cricket's not happening lads.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well the Windies are already here and warming up for the tests, so half the summer will go ahead at least

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Literally zero professional sports have given a crap about this. Everyone is just like "isolate up, rub some dirt on it and get back out there". It'll take someone dying to seriously impede Sports.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Even then it would have to be someone people care about. National capped or T20 stars only.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there a cricket chat discord we can join before SA is out (hit wicket)?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Just want to do this one last time:

:boonie:

Best wishes all, test cricket best cricket.

-- deep square leg

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

V for Vegas posted:

Keen. This is literally the only thread I'd miss.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Which Test Cricketer do you fine people think would make a good Pro Wrestler?

Kohli and Broad would be great heels. For obvious reasons, (they are easily punchable arseholes.)

And Herath would be a wonderful babyface. I mean who doesn't want to cheer a short chubby Sri Lankan who works in a bank?

And seconding that I'd miss this thread. It's nice to have a place to discuss cricket that doesn't always devolve into how many of Sachins bats would fit in my mums pussy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

V for Vegas posted:

Not until we get the spoonboy song

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

BrigadierSensible posted:

Kohli and Broad would be great heels. For obvious reasons, (they are easily punchable arseholes.

Harbhajan Singh and anyone who played for Australia 1999-2007 (Gilchrist and Michael Hussey excepted)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Harbhajan Singh and anyone who played for Australia 1999-2007 (Gilchrist and Michael Hussey excepted)
I feel like Jason Gillespie also deserves a pass.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Watto and Chris Gayle

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bowlingjar

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
McCullum both solo and as a brother tag team with the Komodo Dragon

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Oh hey if anyone likes NRL or footy come say hi

https://discord.gg/bqxDStt

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I'd have Wagner in the upper mid card, putting on some high workrate clinics.

Would also love Brett Lee as a jobber, just getting squashed each and every night.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Based on the recent news, I’d say Scott Kuggeleijn would fit right in.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Any update on whether Sachin is one of the Pakistani players who tested positive?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

runoverbobby posted:

Any update on whether Sachin is one of the Pakistani players who tested positive?

All the coronavirus of Sachin fits in your mum's vagine

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Desperate for cricket? Finally some live stuff to watch: https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1703010/watch-live-england-men-intra-squad-match

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Robelinda2's video on Inzy's best run-outs also happens to include a Bucknor-level loving awful decision.

I wouldn't have thought it possible to not see when an ocean liner like Inzy gets in your line of sight, but I guess you don't have to worry about "line of sight" when you're completely blind

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

To be fair that snapshot does accurately represent Bucknor's vision.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

He probably assumed it was out as soon as he saw it was Inzy

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
And the first post Covid Test in England, in mid-July....

Is delayed by rain.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's cool, though.
They got Holding talking about systemic racism

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

kingturnip posted:

It's cool, though.
They got Holding talking about systemic racism

I imagine he has a few things to say...

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
lol england

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's 1-1, which is a draw.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

has boycott had a meltdown about cricketers taking the knee?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

has boycott had a meltdown about cricketers taking the knee?

No-one knows and no-one cares cause the beeb dropped him. On account of being a wife beating humourless waste of skin white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What's on during the next rain break you reckon?

Rwandan genocide?