Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

goatface posted:

Why can these men not catch?

Collingwood putting on his whites to shame them all aged 44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if it was Pakistan putting those catches down we'd all be making match-fixing jokes ITT

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But Rizwan is known to be good at keeping wicket.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Northants Glamorgan scorecard is comedy. 60/8 to 228/9 in the space of 19.3 overs.

de Lange is finally out with 113 from 78 balls at number 10.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're still not abandoning this game. Determined that Jimbo will get to 600.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eyy, Jimmy.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Omg, they actually got some play in.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The groundstaff basically had to work on a section of the field for 5 hours to sponge, drain and heat the water out of it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Joe Root has gone back to being a bad captain.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I can't let Jimmy's 600th test wicket go past without a reminder of the most Jimmy of pictures

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Morgan rescuing England again.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh, is there some "Cricket" on?!

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
T20 is such trash

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

T20 is such trash

It's a weird game where 1-2 bad overs on either side basically decides the game.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jesus England need to learn how to control run rates, some of that bowling was trash. Yes pace bowling has to be consistently inconsistent but you have work out when it's time to mess with line and length instead of speed of delivery. Having all right hand bowlers is a problem, especially in the spin department.

Morgan wants to bowl out sides but while that is a good idea in ODIs you don't have time to do it in T20.

Also worried about Big Mo, looks a bit done.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, super sad but Ali just doesn't seem to have anything anymore

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Michael Vaughn trending on twitter for being terrible on commentary, so it's only fair I bring to light his greatest twitter hits:

https://twitter.com/khanUR199/status/1299348474278883336

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Vaughn really stands out as a bit of a oval office on TMS where currently the rest of the commentators seem pretty cool.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dysgenesis posted:

Vaughn really stands out as a bit of a oval office on TMS where currently the rest of the commentators seem pretty cool.

Now that wife beater has gone someone has to take on the mantle of right wing arsehole from Yorkshire

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Wife beating shitcunt or racist shitcunt. Oh, what a choice!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Michael Vaughan is just that commentary guy who's job it is to be unrelentingly miserable about everything the players are doing.

Part of me feels there's scope to give Vaughan a bit of slack for being a oval office because he's your archetypal 'went to public school on a scholarship, utterly divorced from reality' kind of oval office. But that describes most England players, and they generally manage to be less of a oval office than he does.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ramprakash has been pretty good on TMS.

Better than he ever was for England.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

goatface posted:

Ramprakash has been pretty good on TMS.

Better than he ever was for England.

Ramprakash, to me, belongs in the same category as Graham Hick and others like him.

A player that would murder a county attack at will, but never made the step up to test level.

Dunno how good he is at commentary though.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ramprakash, to me, belongs in the same category as Graham Hick and others like him.

A player that would murder a county attack at will, but never made the step up to test level.

what a fresh take

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

what a fresh take

Wait 'till you hear my views on whether or not a batsman should play their shots.

They gotta

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Ah Ramprakash, probably the last player to score 100 first-class hundreds. Hard to see anyone doing it again with the way cricket is going.

Irony is his best years were in his thirties after he had been discarded by England. How much of that is because he wasn't constantly in and out of the England side and some certainty and less pressure and how much of that is him just growing more comfortable and sure in his technique I guess is hard to say.

In 2002 he played his last test, age 31. His record in country cricket Surrey from 2003 on is really quite remarkable.

2003 - 1444 runs at 76.00, 6 hundreds
2004 - 1564 runs at 65.16, 7 hundreds
2005 - 1568 runs at 74.66, 6 hundreds
2006 - 2278 runs at 103.54, 8 hundreds (scored a 150+ in six consecutive matches which equalled the record of Vijay Merchant from the 1940s)
2007 - 2026 runs at 101.30, 10 hundreds (only player ever to average over 100 in County Cricket in consecutive seasons)
2008 - 1235 runs at 61.75, 6 hundreds
2009 - 1350 runs at 90.00, 5 hundreds
2010 - 1595 runs at 61.34, 5 hundreds

There were certainly calls for Ramps to be recalled to the test team around 2007-08. In the Ashes in 2009 when Bopara was dropped for the last test, his name was probably who most people wanted to come into the team. They went with Johnathan Trott, so can't say the selectors got that one wrong in the end.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

He's actually insightful and thoughtful, and can talk from experience about the current batch of players.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did I get this channel from this thread? I don't remember, anyway I love this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YffVLFP-qrE

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Ponting has given us the benefit of his views on running out a non-striker for stealing yards.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29792152/ipl-2020-some-sort-run-penalty-ideal-non-strikers-backing-too-far-ricky-ponting-tells

The idea of fining a team is not a bad one, although it is yet another thing for an umpire to adjudicate along with no-balls, running onto the pitch etc, but I have never understood what the fuss is about. Spirit of cricket is always invoked when a non-striker is run out, but where is the spirit of cricket when non-strikers are getting an advantage that is against the rules?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress off more stupid rules and random penalties is not needed. Just allow the non striker to be run out and count it as a wicket for the bowler. Stop whining about the spirit of the game. It is a competitive game and it is another area for the players to try to one-up each other.
Only issue is that it is probably much harder for a hard out pace bowler to stop and break the stumps then for a spinner.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I don't watch baseball but is there a thing about runners leading off base and it being bad form to try to tag them out?

Mankading has always seemed cool and good to me, back up properly or get run the gently caress out.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Mankadding is fine, and should remain perfectly within the rules.

It is also a stupid shameful way of getting out, because it shows that the batsman is trying to gain an illegal advantage, and not paying attention to the bowler, whilst the bowler is doing the right thing by paying attention to the batsman and the position of the bat.

If you get run outthat way, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

garycoleisgod posted:

I don't watch baseball but is there a thing about runners leading off base and it being bad form to try to tag them out?

It's part and parcel to the game. Pickoff attempts can suck though because the pitcher sometimes gets it stuck in his head so he tries ten times and it drags the game beyond the three hour mark, or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s41ftuMw9f0

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It's part and parcel to the game. Pickoff attempts can suck though because the pitcher sometimes gets it stuck in his head so he tries ten times and it drags the game beyond the three hour mark, or this:

I watched Brad Penny try an attempted pick-off on the same player what felt like a dozen times in a game against Cleveland in 2011 in a light mizzle and it was just the most tedious thing ever, especially after Justin Verlander had come within 5 outs of a no-hitter the night before

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Mankadding is fine, and should remain perfectly within the rules.

It is also a stupid shameful way of getting out, because it shows that the batsman is trying to gain an illegal advantage, and not paying attention to the bowler, whilst the bowler is doing the right thing by paying attention to the batsman and the position of the bat.

If you get run outthat way, you have no-one to blame but yourself.

this argument isn’t right. the batsman usually isn’t gaining an advantage. They are out of the crease because the bowler hasn’t released the ball which is a really lame move.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ponting moaning about "spirit of the game" warms the cockles of my heart.

If you get ran out my mankading you should have your name put on a wall like the Lord's List, a moratorium of stupidity

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

That's just not cricket mate

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Looke posted:

That's just not cricket mate

Neither is your keeper trying to con the umpire every time the batsman plays and misses like Gilchrist used to do.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ah Ramprakash, probably the last player to score 100 first-class hundreds. Hard to see anyone doing it again with the way cricket is going.

I though that until I looked up Alastair Cook's record and he is on 99.

Still doesn't take away from Ramprakash's amazing first class record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Nah he's on 66. Your first-class record includes test matches.

According to the Association of Cricket Statisticians, he has the most FC hundreds of any active player though: https://stats.acscricket.com/Records/First_Class/Overall/Batting/Most_Centuries_in_Career.html

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 3, 2020