Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he bowls far too many bad balls for a Test spinner

he picks up wickets in ODIs because he's got good deception and the batsmen have to go after him

in Tests they can block him out and wait for the lovely long hops which come roughly every over or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't he choose to go white ball only a few years back?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29836634/dan-christian-lifts-lid-casual-racism-australian-cricket

Dan Christian says that there is a lot of casual racism in Australian cricket. I for one am shocked and appalled. I mean there has never been any hints of such a thing.

He then goes on to say that this is due to a lack of cultural sensitivity training, and that more education would be the answer.

Please forgive the rant, and my bullshit "hot take" on this. This is also not an attack on Christian either.

But gently caress that. "Education is the answer"? Bullshit. What sort of moron needs to be told in the year 2020 that calling an opponent a "loving darkie poofter" is offensive and will hurt their feelings? And would the kind of person who would say that on a field, after being told in a classroom that it is offensive and not on, suddenly have a realization and go "gosh, I was being mean and rude to my fellow man. I will stop now that I know."?

The kind of prick that says that kind of stuff to another person, (on the field or anywhere else), is a racist oval office. And knows that they are using, not "naughty words", but offensive, hurtful and damaging slurs. And indeed are doing so intentionally. In the best case scenario they are doing it to get the other guy off their game, but also they are doing it because they know how offensive and hosed it is.

And if they are claiming that they don't know the difference between "Oi mate, you're poo poo and will probably get out next ball", and "Oi mate, you're poo poo. Go eat some curry you terrorist." then they can get hosed. These are grown men, and as much as a bubble as the cricketing world can be, they still have to live among humans and should have learned common decency by now.

As to what the answer is to combat casual and institutional racism in cricket, (and society)? I dunno, but it isn't sitting people down in a classroom and telling them that if you call a black man a n*gger it hurts his feelings. Because if they don't know that by now, then they will never know.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Are those heavy slurs the casual racism he's talking about? Like those are grounds for getting your car dented with a bat after the game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Nah, he said pretty specifically in the article that he cops throwaway "jokes" and lines, usually about him "not looking Aboriginal". I have no doubt he's probably heard stuff like what BrigadierSensible mentioned more than once, but I think the majority of people are at least aware you can't use slurs. The part further down with someone getting called out for overt racist language was a quote from Rachel Haynes.

I dunno, education is kind of a much broader spectrum than just "don't abuse people". There's more subtle ways to make people think about the impacts of their words and their choices (making them think about it at all is usually a good start). And honestly, "wow, you don't look Aboriginal" is definitely something education can help with. My brother-in-law hears that phrase all the time - he was entirely raised by his Aboriginal grandmother so it's a big part of his identity, but visually he's got pale skin and a ginger beard. He reckons most people don't really mean anything by it, but a lot of people still treat you a bit differently which gets exhausting.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Australians, racist? Well now I've heard everything. /s

You don't have to be throwing out racial slurs to be doing a racism, so I doubt people were doing that poo poo to Dan Christian that much, but a general lower level ignorance/intolerance is the background radiation of Australian society.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Watching this horror show and somehow the worst part of it is this advert with a 21st Century Advert version of Born to be Wild.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The plinky plonky one? Yeah, I'd hoped society had moved beyond that.

Englols are eternal though.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
this might be the worst innings I’ve ever seen

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
they might want to attempt to get a run imo

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
can Australia out-England England

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
great knock this

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
why would you take the single there

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Good to see the Big Bison doing his thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol Carey is playing for the asterisk

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I stopped paying attention when England were 149/8. What the gently caress, Australia?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
In a move not too surprising Seven and Foxtel are refusing to pay up for cricket in Oz and the deal most likely will be renogiated down like other sports. Very doubtful they will walk away but these are hilarious times. Cricket isnt short of a few QC's eyeing off a life membership.

I would like though Nine to reanimate Benaud and snatch them back, but given their finances and schedule it is doubtful so Zombie Benaud must bide his time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine getting run through by Joe loving Root

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Phwoar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, England are still bad.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Maxwell has to be one of the worlds stupidest people

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I dunno after that shot Carey has to be in contention too

e: and Morgan too for giving Rashid the 50th

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sure, you need to restrict them to 10 off the last over, let's toss the ball to the guy already going at 8.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just giving it away.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Wood is going for 4.5 an over and bowling 95 but sure let the spinner bowl

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

goatface posted:

Sure, you need to restrict them to 10 off the last over, let's toss the ball to the guy already going at 8.

insane decision to let them swing at rashid

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
That's so loving infuriating.

You drop Sam Curran to bring in Wood. Then don't use him when you should do.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

That was loving stupid.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Well well, seeing as nobody actually won last years World Cup final and since then Australia have beaten both NZ and Eng in ODIs and Aus are the last undisputed world cup winners, I think it is time we all officially recognize Australia as reigning world cup champions. Thank you thank you, you're too kind.

But lol, why did Morgan bowl Rashid at the death? Utter madness, probably some stats analysis showed he was good at the death and Australia do have trouble picking him, but Starc probably wasn't as likely to get a hold of Wood, Starc likes teeing off against spinners, what a baffling decision.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-e68fl_XQ

Maxwell for the test team #justice4maxi.

I mean, he's better than MMarsh and you know they'll give that plonker another shot some time soon. So gently caress it, pick Maxwell.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

garycoleisgod posted:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-e68fl_XQ

Maxwell for the test team #justice4maxi.

I mean, he's better than MMarsh and you know they'll give that plonker another shot some time soon. So gently caress it, pick Maxwell.

I agree. I have never been more entertained than by cricket like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQUqjFQH-jg

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Peter Roebuck being a pedo that killed himself is old news but someone new has come forth to tell their story of being groomed by him.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/t...19fb9dd7b517d38

which reminds me of what Jim Maxwell wrote in his auto-biography about when Roebuck was charged with common assault in 1999

quote:

That whole situation was classic Peter. He would show charity and support to these young men, open his house to them, then go too far. Overstep the boundaries by disciplining them with a cane.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Scylo posted:

Peter Roebuck being a pedo that killed himself is old news but someone new has come forth to tell their story of being groomed by him.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/t...19fb9dd7b517d38

which reminds me of what Jim Maxwell wrote in his auto-biography about when Roebuck was charged with common assault in 1999

Wanna cut/paste the article? It's paywalled and also NewsCorp

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

James MacSmith decided to share his story in support of News Corp Australia’s campaign for a national register of sex offenders. The campaign also has the backing of Bruce and Denise Morcombe whose son Daniel was abducted and killed after being sexually abused.

Exclusive: It’s taken me almost 30 years to tell my story. It’s not a good one, but there are plenty that are a lot worse. I just hope that by finally retelling what happened to me, it can help someone in a similar position out there: a vulnerable child, a naive parent, a concerned teacher, an undecided politician. To ensure that everything that can be done is being done to prevent the heinous scourge of child sex crimes, and that offenders are hit with the full force of the law. It’s the least a civilised society can do.

So, here it is — I was groomed by Peter Roebuck.

Three decades down the track it still makes me sick and angry to say that. The former world renowned cricketer and cricket writer met his end when he suicided by jumping out a hotel window in Cape Town nine years ago, after being arrested by South African police over sex assault allegations. He was working for the ABC and Fairfax Media at the time.

If you were innocent why would you jump? That’s the first question many people would ask. But many also rushed to defend his reputation — “That’s not the Peter I knew” they claimed. Well, at just 17, it was the one I came to know.

Roebuck’s modus operandi was similar to that of most scumbag paedophiles.

In 1992, when I was a cricket-loving student at Cranbrook School in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, Roebuck would casually wander down to training on the main oval where countless boys were honing their skills, to join in.

It seems incredulous now that someone could just walk onto a school’s oval and “help to coach”, but Roebuck’s considerable reputation in the cricket world preceded him.

Thinking back on what happened over the years, and again now, it becomes evident that Roebuck had targeted a selection of boys. I happened to be one of them. And so the grooming began. He showed an interest in me and my skills. He said I had potential. He said he could help. That I came from a broken home as one of three kids of a single mother made it easier for him, as it does for many other despicable people like him.

Roebuck would be at training every week. He would drift in and out, there to offer tips and advice on my batting, bowling and fielding. Bowling to me in the nets. Chatting to me at the end of training. Initially, at least as it appeared to me, it was incidental. But after a while I became known as one of his favourites among the other boys, something I wasn’t comfortable with.

At some point he asked for my phone number and I gave it to him. At another point our conversations became more about matters other than cricket. Where did I live? What did I like doing away from school? What was my family life like? More and more about my personal life. Politely, I answered them, innocently, truthfully.

After a period of months, our “relationship” had obviously progressed to a point when he felt comfortable with making his move. He offered to give me special coaching on the weekend with some other boys. I accepted. Of course I did. I wanted to open the batting for Australia!

It’s a familiar approach by paedophiles, I know. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work and isn’t working for some scumbag either in person or on social media today.

Roebuck moves were cold and calculated. Practice had made them perfect.

We met on a Sunday at the Cranbrook School oval, except the other boys surprisingly didn’t show up. Then they didn’t show up a second time when he took the opportunity he had so expertly crafted to assault me. It was done in a very similar manner to that which I read about in reports after his death, when his disgusting secrets were revealed.

It was at the end of a training session, with shade folding across that grand ground that had played host to the likes of Steve and Mark Waugh that Roebuck suggested we finish with a series of throwdowns and that any false shot I played would be punished. Naturally I expected that punishment might be a series of push-ups or a few laps around the oval but he had other ideas.

I’d played a few bad shots, but my punishment still hadn’t been decided as we had packed up and began to walk off the oval towards the main gates on New South Head Road. Roebuck then suggested we chat inside The Rotunda, a quaint wooden building that sat under the tall pines that bordered the oval, where lunch was still doled out in between play and where, more importantly for him, no one would likely see us.

It was inside that antiquated setting that Roebuck suggested I should receive a whack on the bottom with my cricket bat for each false stroke I played. My naive, unassuming teenage self thought it was just a joke. But before I had the chance to respond, Roebuck belted me as hard as he could a number of times across my bottom with my Gunn and Moore Autograph bat.

I was stunned. I was shocked. I still am. I might have muttered a goodbye, but wouldn’t have seen or cared, if he had walked straight into the four lanes of traffic outside the school. I don’t know how long I stood around in shock and disbelief at what had happened.

But I can empathise when people in similar, or far worse situations, say that time stands still.

At some stage I gathered myself together and walked up to the boarding house on the grounds, where I was living at the time. I can’t say I forgot about it, even if I tried to, because I never have.

Roebuck called me a few days, maybe a week later, as if nothing had happened. I couldn’t believe the gall of him. The piece of poo poo. I told him I didn’t want anything to do with him ever again. I didn’t swear but I was firm. I thought that would be the end of it.

It wasn’t until days later that my roommate said someone had come into our room looking for me earlier that afternoon. The man he described was Roebuck. Again it sounds ridiculous that someone could just walk in off the street and into a school boarding house, but he could and did. My roommate said he seemed angry and anxious and quickly left when he couldn’t find me. If I had been there alone, who knows what could have happened. I could have been cornered by a man much bigger and stronger than me in an out of the way part of the building. And if the door was closed no one would have heard me call for help. It’s terrible to think about.

But that was the end of it. I would have no further contact with him. I was glad I had the strength of character to tell him where to go. But I know others aren’t so lucky when they find themselves in such a horrible situation. And shockingly, today it can be just as easy for these reprehensible people to access, manipulate and assault children, especially through social media.

Apart from Roebuck, I don’t blame anyone else for what happened to me, including myself. Of course the school should have had better protections and hopefully they do today. All schools and institutions that care for minors should. But all too often there are holes in the net, people turn a blind eye, the rights of the offenders are prioritised over the victims — we as a society are too soft on paedophiles. The ridiculously lenient sentences continually handed down by our courts to convicted offenders is evidence enough of that. If this story can save one child, force one parent to question the character of a person caring for their kids, encourage one politician to strengthen the legislation or convince one judge to come down with the entire weight of the law upon an offender, then it has done its job. As the father of two beautiful and bright-eyed young boys, it’s the least I can do to help build a society that protects its most vulnerable with every defence it can.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Seeing unconfirmed reports on twitter that Dean Jones has died of a stroke.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
It's confirmed. RIP Deano.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Supposedly he had a massive heart attack after a morning run.

gently caress, he was my favourite Aussie player during the 80s and early 90s. Great one dayer who I don't think got the right amount of attention in the test arena

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
drat that sucks. :(

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I bunked off Uni to watch Dean Jones score a one day hundred against Australia for a combined Victoria/World XI in 95(?).

RIP Deano

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching the Bob Willis final on the BBC website. It looks oddly out of focus and the commentary is about a second ahead of the images. Very old school feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Everyone wanted to play like Deano as kids.

Sure it meant I got out real quick but for a few balls and runs I believed.

Vale champion.