Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Send in the Early-hours-of-the-morning man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
England should have sent Stone out next just for a laugh

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Oh my goodness that has to be out somehow

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lmao at that not being out

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flayer posted:

Nightwatchman job done

Yet another example of why they are a bad idea!

I don't get the moaning about the pitch either. Both sides have to play on it, and as has been said, go to India, expect pitches that turn. Pick your side accordingly - and your tactics, perhaps even more so. It seems that England have not batted thoughtfully on a bouncing turner.

Someone on OBO asked the other day if India had the best top 6 in the world. I am sure they do. Does any other team even come close? For that matter. does any team come close to being the best team at the moment? It seems that India are ahead and then there are a good few teams a tier below - Aus, NZ, SA, Eng, then probably SL, then WI and Bangladesh.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Remember when Rashid came up and was a bit crap. Got dropped, developed a wrong un and suddenly became a top notch white ball bowler.

Something, something ODI isn't Test, but fair point.

The guy who runs the England biometric team is stricter than normal. According the ICC you are allowed 14 degrees of deflection in you arm while bowling but he demands no more than 12 to be considered legal in England. When asked about this he said something along the lines of "Yeah, well we all know jonnie foreigner are cheats but us pure, white Englishmen are more honest than that"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

therattle posted:

Someone like Leach is a fine nightwatchman on a friendly pitch. He's usually good for a 30+ ball innings even if he barely scores any runs. Predictably turned out to be a bad decision on this wicket though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

notaspy posted:

Something, something ODI isn't Test, but fair point.

The guy who runs the England biometric team is stricter than normal. According the ICC you are allowed 14 degrees of deflection in you arm while bowling but he demands no more than 12 to be considered legal in England. When asked about this he said something along the lines of "Yeah, well we all know jonnie foreigner are cheats but us pure, white Englishmen are more honest than that"

I was agreeing with you! Rashid left the England team, developed his variations, and was suddenly so good that England were forced to pick him despite his race, working class and variation spinner-Ness.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The main problem with Rashid in test cricket is that he just wasn't quite good enough. He had a decent day now and again but bloody hell he had a truckload of anonymous innings where he might as well have been bowling actual pies for all the threat he carried.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

therattle posted:

I don't get the moaning about the pitch either. Both sides have to play on it, and as has been said, go to India, expect pitches that turn. Pick your side accordingly - and your tactics, perhaps even more so. It seems that England have not batted thoughtfully on a bouncing turner.

Someone on OBO asked the other day if India had the best top 6 in the world. I am sure they do. Does any other team even come close? For that matter. does any team come close to being the best team at the moment? It seems that India are ahead and then there are a good few teams a tier below - Aus, NZ, SA, Eng, then probably SL, then WI and Bangladesh.

India are probably comfortably the best team at the moment because they are the only team I can see touring any country in the world and actually having a chance at winning a series. English batsmen and bowlers can sometimes be hopeless in Australia, Australian batsmen are mostly hopeless everywhere, and NZ always lose in Australia.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was going to say that you can't rely on a spinner in a Test Match who is guaranteed to bowl at least one bad ball an over, but it's working out alright for Bess.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Scylo posted:

India are probably comfortably the best team at the moment because they are the only team I can see touring any country in the world and actually having a chance at winning a series. English batsmen and bowlers can sometimes be hopeless in Australia, Australian batsmen are mostly hopeless everywhere, and NZ always lose in Australia.

Yeah. Their development of legit quicks puts them ahead of everyone else. All the other countries lack some combination of gun fast bowler, front line spinner, capable opener or capable all rounder.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dead Goon posted:

I was going to say that you can't rely on a spinner in a Test Match who is guaranteed to bowl at least one bad ball an over, but it's working out alright for Bess.

He's been dropped so not that well

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's been dropped so not that well

rested

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Bess was officially dropped, not rested.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Was Moeen Ali bowling all those full(er) tosses on purpose or did he just keep missing his length ?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Anderson was rested, Bess was dropped.

BWV posted:

Was Moeen Ali bowling all those full(er) tosses on purpose or did he just keep missing his length ?

Look inside yourself for the answer

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anderson was rested, Bess was dropped.

Look inside yourself for the answer

yeah I mean obviously it doesn't seem like something you would do on purpose but at one point it felt like he was doing it once every over and then the commentator said "the fuller ball is part of his repertoire" or something like that so I wasn't fully sure what was up with that.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. Their development of legit quicks puts them ahead of everyone else. All the other countries lack some combination of gun fast bowler, front line spinner, capable opener or capable all rounder.

I guess you're saying NZ lacks a spinner but Ajaz Patel is good he just doesn't get to play much with our lineup of seamers and unfavourable home conditions.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lol, Alec Stewart was never one of Englands best wicketkeepers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Smorgasbord posted:

I guess you're saying NZ lacks a spinner but Ajaz Patel is good he just doesn't get to play much with our lineup of seamers and unfavourable home conditions.

I'll be honest, I've never seen him play! I guess that's why they're the teams likely to play the final

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Moeen is a Good Lad™, but he doesn't fancy any more time in the bubble.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Don't blame him

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This quote from Ashwin is some good shade

quote:

"I didn't think I would say this but I am coming out and saying it," Ashwin said. "But because you are asking me this question, I couldn't think of anything else. About two months ago we had a cricketer called Cameron Green who made his debut for Australia. Even before he made his debut, everybody said he was the next big thing. And as he was playing, I think he got one fifty in the entire series. I don't think he got a wicket through the series. But how much he was built up and how much confidence he was given back in Australia made me reflect and think about how we as a community treat our cricketers when they come through, the young ones. It gave me a massive perspective.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Seems to me that the English commentariat only deem a pitch dogshit and not fit for test match cricket when England get rolled on it twice

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Seems to me that the English commentariat only deem a pitch dogshit and not fit for test match cricket when England get rolled on it twice

and if the people who made it are a funny tinge.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tourists moan about the state of the pitch the home team has prepared for them. In other news Pope shits in the woods.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The ball was going through the top on day 1. It was a bad test match pitch regardless of who won.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jazzyhattrick posted:

Tourists moan about the state of the pitch the home team has prepared for them. In other news Pope shits in the woods.

That's definitely leaving the bubble if he's going into the woods

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's definitely leaving the bubble if he's going into the woods

Guess that's Ollie out of the 3rd Test then.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Sounds to me like Moeen has been thrown under the bus by the ECB.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Seams posted:

Sounds to me like Moeen has been thrown under the bus by the ECB.
How do you mean? From what I've read he wanted to go home.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Flayer posted:

Maybe not the entire board, but the selectors (and to a lesser extent Root) put him in a bad spot.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ia-tour-1252037

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flayer posted:

Yes but he's been publicly victimised for it in a way that, eg, Buttler, Wood, etc haven't been

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/collinsadam/status/1362194469655703554?s=20

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Maxwell's career batting average in the IPL is 22, with an average of 15 last year and 14 in 2018 (he didn't play in 2019). He only took 3 wickets last year as well, and somehow he went for 1.94 million USD in the ipl auction today. The IPL auction is always so weird, Dawid Malan the top ranked t20 batsman goes for 1.5 crore, but Jhye Richardson went for 14 crore

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Scylo posted:

Maxwell's career batting average in the IPL is 22, with an average of 15 last year and 14 in 2018 (he didn't play in 2019). He only took 3 wickets last year as well, and somehow he went for 1.94 million USD in the ipl auction today. The IPL auction is always so weird, Dawid Malan the top ranked t20 batsman goes for 1.5 crore, but Jhye Richardson went for 14 crore

What's his batting strike rate and bowling economy?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The IPL auction is always going to be weird due to how the teams are run. If the team owners have particular preferences or prejudices they are going to manifest directly, I doubt many of these teams have a proper committee deciding who to go for.

notaspy posted:

What's his batting strike rate and bowling economy?
I looked up his stats and they are complete trash. Bowling economy of over 8 (and taking 7 overs on average per wicket, so barely taking 1 wicket every 2 matches if his team for some reason give him the ball for maximum overs) and a distinctly unimpressive S/R of 101.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 18, 2021

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Good for Kyle Jamieson .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Jamieson got picked because Kohli wants to work him out before the test championship. What I'm saying is he should bowl trash on purpose.