Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I don't get why England are having a cry about the third ump not looking at multiple angles for the stokes catch. I mean, I actually do, they are trying to distract from a poo poo performance, but...

the third ump should only use multiple views when it's not clear or some views are obstructed. From first view that was clearly not out, the balls hit the ground, so say not out. Stokes isn't a cheat either, he probably genuinely thought he caught it, no problem.

But it was not out and the ump said not out. Play on. Yeah he did it quick, but rushing is only a problem if they get the decision wrong. And they didn't. The other catch earlier in the day wasn't as clear, so they looked at multiple angles.

something something whinging poms something something.

And the test championship should be between India and NZ imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They need something, anything, to distract from how poo poo they were.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I was surprised to see the soft signal overturned because the 3rd umpire usually doesn’t overturn it without conclusive proof

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I wish this game was a daytime one, I had to go to bed last night when England were only two down, looks like I missed a bunch of lols.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Me 40 minutes ago: How the hell is Guptill not dropped for this game? He hasn't had a good innings since... 2015?

Me now: Fucks sake.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Australia will never be good at cricket again lol.

edit: the BBL can’t even produce a good t20 team.

Seams fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 25, 2021

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Neesham with a pretty good strike rate at 18 off 3

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I can't watch because I'm at work but it looks like Australia is still bad

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Jeez we're not very good at this cricket caper.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
turned on the game just in time to see stonis the big unit smash some boundaries
also just in time to see us lose three wickets in an over

in summary: cricket is a game of contrasts

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Sams going Hams

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

Haha, poo poo, this is getting close

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Going to lose this.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
oof that was close

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Never lost faith.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

NZ winning by paying the umpire to field the winning runs, nice guys of cricket ey?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
That NZ bowling effort reminded me of the Kyle Mills - Death Bowler era where if the opposition needed 26 from the last over Mills was your man to restrict them to 24

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Also Finch retire from cricket.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Stoinis must be cursed to have great innings in losing causes against NZ, like this one from a few years ago

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Jamieson's getting paid millions in the IPL lmao

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Big Stoin is a good lad

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

Guptill deserves man of the match, and Santa getting a haul of wickets helped, but Boult really stole that match back for us at the end.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Noxin of Shame posted:

Guptill deserves man of the match, and Santa getting a haul of wickets helped, but Boult really stole that match back for us at the end.

Yeah, that over going for like 5 or whatever was absolutely clutch

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I think England's problem is that we've kind of come up with a method for dealing with spin on flat pitches and slow turners (which is something we were struggling with anyway): Joe Root's "stay back so you see what the ball does, and if in doubt sweep" approach.

Trouble is, it doesn't seem to be working anywhere near as well on fast turners because even if you go back you don't get enough time to adjust. The only answer is to get to the pitch of the ball.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 25, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Leach giving England a skerrick of hope

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think a lead of 10 runs will be enough for India.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
New Zealand positively cacking themselves at the prospect at having to play either of these frauds in the summer

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Did you see that piece of glovework from Foakes?

No, you didn't because it was so fast!!!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How will the test final actual work? Because obviously the chances of a draw are high.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

New Zealand positively cacking themselves at the prospect at having to play either of these frauds in the summer

Jack Leach is getting wild turn on this pitch. Jack Leach. It is not batsman friendly at all

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Root gonna get a Pfeiffer... for no runs.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Root should bowl more.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Chasing on this pitch might prove difficult!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Seams posted:

Chasing on this pitch might prove difficult!
If England can restrict India to a lead of 30 or less they might avoid an innings defeat

One of Root or Leach is going to get a 5-for

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lucky we brought 4 fast bowlers to this pitch

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. Pretty spectacular misjudgement of the pitch.

Otoh, not wholly sure that Bess would've out bowled root

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Staying up a little later than normal, lol what is even happening.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Joe Root has 5 for 8 in Test Cricket.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Some top class Englanding from India. Nothing like learning from the best up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I predict an innings victory for India