Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The lack of originality in IPL team names always confuses me as to who is who.

Super Kings
Kings XI
Royals
Royal Challengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I wonder how likely it is that Dhoni is involved in the CSK/India Cements corruption. He's the captain of one and a nepotism appointed executive on the other.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Knight Riders and Sunrisers

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Don't forget the Mumbai Indians.

Imagine if one of the Big Bash teams had a name like that: the Melbourne Australians.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The Sydney Governor-Generals

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

gabensraum posted:

The lack of originality in IPL team names always confuses me as to who is who.

Super Kings
Kings XI
Royals
Royal Challengers
It's almost like the thought process was "they picked the name Kings so we've got to pick something better than them... Super Kings!" :downsowned:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

webmeister posted:

The Sydney Governor-Generals

The Brisbane Super Governor-Generals

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
the perth super secessionists

e: my brain doesnt work right sometimes

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 14, 2015

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Fanatic posted:

It's almost like the thought process was "they picked the name Kings so we've got to pick something better than them... Super Kings!" :downsowned:

that was probably the exact thought process

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I wish every team was <increasingly grand superlative> kings, with the newest team being the "Mega Ultra Awesome Supreme Kings"

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i wish japan had its own twenty20 league

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
England are trying to get Jayawardene in as a batting consultant - "It's easy guys, all you need to do is have half of your innings on a dead pitch in Colombo"

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jayawardene's scores in this year's CPL.

0, 3, 10, 1, 0.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The team turn up to see a green pitch, look around for Mahela for advice but he has literally vanished.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Nauru gently caress Off We're Fulls

Doctor Cave posted:

I've always been curious about what makes O'Keefe so allegedly unlikeable.

He cant even get along with Smith and I'm pretty sure the only other person in the world Smith doesnt get along with is Clarke.

It'll be interesting to see how the squad changes with a what appears to be a genuinely nice guy in charge.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Doctor Cave posted:

Don't forget the Mumbai Indians.

Imagine if one of the Big Bash teams had a name like that: the Melbourne Australians.

In North America we name a lot of sports teams after Indians, what's the problem? :v:

We have a few names that basically resemble the Melbourne Australians, like the Vancouver Canucks and New York Yankees. And perhaps most on the nose:

Oddly, 16 of that team's 28 players are Canadian and three more are from Europe.

Also, in Canada, we have the Ottawa Senators. I don't know what senators are like wherever you happen to be, but they are rather predictably old white men here who are not at all athletic.

And 10% of baseball teams are named after songbirds and another 10% after clothing.

For many years in the Canadian Football League, there was a team in Saskatchewan named the Roughriders and one in Ottawa named the Rough Riders. Nobody really saw any problems with that until about 15 year ago.

Thanks for the radio links. I'll check them out for the second test.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's all bollocks - I don't care if Phoenix are playing Dynamos, I want to know that Yorkshire are playing Durham. Anything else is meaningless.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
This is awesome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zy476fr

quote:

What's it like to face a 90mph fast bowler?

The first video is especially interesting. Makes you realize how much of batting against quick bowling is reflexes and instincts.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

pogo posted:

This is awesome:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zy476fr

The first video is especially interesting. Makes you realize how much of batting against quick bowling is reflexes and instincts.

Good batsmen pick the line and length from the bowler's hand. It's also why changes of pace with the same action can be so effective.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

quote:

Peter Lalor @plalor
BREAKING Brad Haddin is not expected to play at Lord's. Personal reasons He has not been dropped. more to follow ...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Doesn't he have a sick daughter? I hope it's nothing serious.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Didn't he pull out of a Windies tour over family health reasons?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah his daughter has got some sort of cancer, not nice

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was going to say Watson peaked early and they've been picking him on the assumption he can regain that form, but looking at it he didn't get a 50 till his 5th test and a century till his 15th.

Maybe he's just too marketable to drop.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So if Nevill catches everything and makes critical runs Haddin will probably be back in the third Test or whenever he's ready.

Seams fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 14, 2015

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

goatface posted:

I was going to say Watson peaked early and they've been picking him on the assumption he can regain that form, but looking at it he didn't get a 50 till his 5th test and a century till his 15th.

Maybe he's just too marketable to drop.
I thought they still pick him to justify having him on a $2mil retainer. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Australia have banned Faulkner for 4 matches for drink driving.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Gotta drink those shots mate

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Dude blew like a .1 or something. Twit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A poor drive to the off licence side.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Haddin dropped the Ashes and then never plays for Australia again

I don't hate the idea

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Negligent posted:

I don't hate the idea

Great post avatar combo there.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Which one of you did this?

Negligent posted:

I don't hate the idea

It might be covering for him being dropped, if it isn't truly about his daughter (I hope she's ok, neuroblastoma is loving horrible).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Haddin is a superduper top order oval office of the first degree - on the cricket pitch.

I send my best wishes to him and his daughter and his family because there are things more important than Cricket and I hope she can fully recover.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Coucho Marx posted:

It might be covering for him being dropped, if it isn't truly about his daughter (I hope she's ok, neuroblastoma is loving horrible).

It will almost certainly be his daughter. I seriously doubt any selector was considering dropping him and Haddin does have history of dropping out to put family first.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Coucho Marx posted:

i thought neuroblastoma was haddins batting technique

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Local rumor

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...714-giceu2.html

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

So happy!

Cricket AU are also reporting this:

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/shane-watson-reportedly-dropped-for-second-ashes-test-australia-england-haddin-lords/2015-07-15

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
He never had his chance the poor bugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm not too keen on Mitch Marsh and would prefer a batsman there but the bloke is in form so let's see how it goes.